Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,474 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:46 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (202) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (965327 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Shevykool(m): 5:20pm On Apr 30, 2016
pls, anybody with FNK documents should share it with this email shevykooldude@gmail.com. thanks

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2016
please is there anyone that includes feed enzyme in his feed formulation.
Can you please tell me the inclusion level and they type of enzyme you used.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jayned: 11:49am On May 01, 2016
Hi fellow farmers. My birds are 33 weeks old and egg production is yet to peak. The current production rate this week is 68% before this, it was 67%. Please note that they started laying at 19weeks and at 23 weeks production rate was 72%. But then they came down with catarrh and ecoli and things have not been the same again. They have come down with all sorts including new castle and coccidiosis. At the moment, they seem ok. They feed well and there are hardly any weak sick looking ones. As a first timer, I need advice from your wealth of knowledge on whether to sell off and count my losses or if there is hope for me in this case. Thank you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by smankerana: 12:54pm On May 01, 2016
Good day farmers. Pls help. l found one of my pullets dead this morning. They are feeding well but l notice a whitish poo. l checked just now and another one is dead with a few dozzing off. Today is sunday so no pm. what can that be and how do l remedy the situation? Pls help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by isaacosa(m): 4:53pm On May 01, 2016
hmmhmm
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Phizzlephizz(m): 6:48pm On May 01, 2016
jayned:
Hi fellow farmers. My birds are 33 weeks old and egg production is yet to peak. The current production rate this week is 68% before this, it was 67%. Please note that they started laying at 19weeks and at 23 weeks production rate was 72%. But then they came down with catarrh and ecoli and things have not been the same again. They have come down with all sorts including new castle and coccidiosis. At the moment, they seem ok. They feed well and there are hardly any weak sick looking ones. As a first timer, I need advice from your wealth of knowledge on whether to sell off and count my losses or if there is hope for me in this case. Thank you.

Bros Newcastle Disease is a viral disease, it has no cure. I'm not a pro but lemme give you my 2cents,
1. What feed are you giving to your birds, that's always the first thing to check out, you might be giving the same old feed fine, but is the company or distributors you buy from keeping up to the quality of feed they've been selling formerly.
2. Bros I don't know if you do know that thunder, rainfall, disturbance and noise can reduce egg production, a lot of farmers don't know this.
3. Where is your farm located is it a residential area, noise affect egg production
4. Importantly, where did you get your stock from. Did you buy from a good hatchery.
5. You said your birds are sick how many times did you vaccinate prior to the 19th week before they started laying.
6. From experience laying at 19th week is quite early, it maybe good for business but not so good for the birds. Your birds should start laying at about 20-21 week.

Omo I don tire make them my boss for the game contribute, but just consider these things

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nobody: 10:03pm On May 01, 2016
Please fellow farmers I need urgent help, my broilers are 8 weeks old and since 3 days they started dying like two daily, today I opened one dead one and I noticed all the food it ate is choked just below the neck, please what could be the cause and what do I do
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jayned: 10:30pm On May 01, 2016
Phizzlephizz:

Bros Newcastle Disease is a viral disease, it has no cure. I'm not a pro but lemme give you my 2cents,
1. What feed are you giving to your birds, that's always the first thing to check out, you might be giving the same old feed fine, but is the company or distributors you buy from keeping up to the quality of feed they've been selling formerly.
2. Bros I don't know if you do know that thunder, rainfall, disturbance and noise can reduce egg production, a lot of farmers don't know this.
3. Where is your farm located is it a residential area, noise affect egg production
4. Importantly, where did you get your stock from. Did you buy from a good hatchery.
5. You said your birds are sick how many times did you vaccinate prior to the 19th week before they started laying.
6. From experience laying at 19th week is quite early, it maybe good for business but not so good for the birds. Your birds should start laying at about 20-21 week.

Omo I don tire make them my boss for the game contribute, but just consider these things

Thanks Phizzlephizz for taking time to respond.

1. The feeds I use is what I had used since inception. Its hybrid and I really can't tell if the quality has dropped.
2.The farm is not located in a residential area and the only significant noise comes from my Caucasian who barks once in a while.
3. I got the stock from Zartech.
4. The vaccines are up to date I guess. I used a schedule given to me by my vet. The last one I did was NDVK+EDS+IB at 18weeks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 1:44am On May 02, 2016
Answer The Following,it Will Be Easier To Offer Advice/proffer Solution.

When Last Did You Deworm Them And Gave Them Lasota?

Are They Caged Or On Deep Litter?

How Many Are They And What Quantity Of Feed Do They Eat?

How About Checking For Lice?

When Last Did You Give Antibiotics And The Name?

Ventilation Within The Pen?

jayned:
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 1:48am On May 02, 2016
Inclusion Level Is Dependent On Type And Manufacturer. The Vet Drug Store/toll Miller You Are Buying From Are In A Better Position To Advice You.

raphemmanuel:

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 2:27am On May 02, 2016
You Did Not State Their Age But If They Are On Deep Litter,it Could Be Coccidiosis Or A Bacterial Infection.

Use Viracox For Them And Also Replace Their Litter.

smankerana:
Good day farmers. Pls help. l found one of my pullets dead this morning. They are feeding well but l notice a whitish poo. l checked just now and another one is dead with a few dozzing off. Today is sunday so no pm. what can that be and how do l remedy the situation? Pls help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by oyee2003dr(m): 6:21am On May 02, 2016
morning all, am a silent follower of this trend,but l need to speak out, my 1000 birds were treated for samonella typhoid, gave vit 5 days, cocidocis, vit5 days and lasota given. the problem is their production has dropped from 28 crates to 17 crates. given vitamin yet no improvement, I was told to give them time but getting out of patience, I loss over 180k in April. please I need help, thinking disposing thanks fo your positive response. I use deep litter and they started laying in January.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 11:13am On May 02, 2016
Why Not Take Some Samples For Lab Test To Determine What Is Wrong & Antibiotics Sensitivity Test.

Meanwhile,Put Neodine Or Iodasteryl And Penprovit In Their Water.

oyee2003dr:
morning all, am a silent follower of this trend,but l need to speak out, my 1000 birds were treated for samonella typhoid, gave vit 5 days, cocidocis, vit5 days and lasota given. the problem is their production has dropped from 28 crates to 17 crates. given vitamin yet no improvement, I was told to give them time but getting out of patience, I loss over 180k in April. please I need help, thinking disposing thanks fo your positive response. I use deep litter and they started laying in January.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jayned: 2:44pm On May 02, 2016
tabontabon:
Answer The Following,it Will Be Easier To Offer Advice/proffer Solution.

When Last Did You Deworm Them And Gave Them Lasota?

How Many Are They And What Quantity Of Feed Do They Eat?

How About Checking For Lice?

When Last Did You Give Antibiotics And The Name?

Ventilation Within The Pen?

Last time I dewormed them was April 20th less than a month now.

I gave them lasota this morning and the last time was exactly a month ago.

They are in deep litter and they consume 2 to 2.5 bags a day.

They are 525 in number. I have lost 22 since this episode started 8 weeks ago.

Just treated them for coccidiosis about 10 days ago. I used Centre totlr, centre medicox

About ventilation, all the vents are always open

Finally, they don't have lice.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 3:31pm On May 02, 2016
1. Birds On Deep Litter Are Prone To Lice Infestation.Delice Them Again Using "Pour On". Pack Their Litter & Spray Surrounding.

2. Coccidiosis Could Be Difficult To Treat.I'll Advice u Repeat The Treatment.Vitacox Is Good.

3. After Vitacox,Give Multivitamin For About 2days.Then,Use Penprovit/Anicillin To Take Care Of Infections.

4.After Penprovit,Use Multivitamin For Them For 5-7 Days.

Note: I Gave This Outline Based On My Experience And What Worked For Me. NOT as a Doc.

jayned:

Last time I dewormed them was April 20th less than a month now.

I gave them lasota this morning and the last time was exactly a month ago.

They are in deep litter and they consume 2 to 2.5 bags a day.

They are 525 in number. I have lost 22 since this episode started 8 weeks ago.

Just treated them for coccidiosis about 10 days ago. I used Centre totlr, centre medicox

About ventilation, all the vents are always open

Finally, they don't have lice.

Thanks a lot.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jayned: 4:17pm On May 02, 2016
tabontabon:
1. Birds On Deep Litter Are Prone To Lice Infestation.Delice Them Again Using "Pour On". Pack Their Litter & Spray Surrounding.

2. Coccidiosis Could Be Difficult To Treat.I'll Advice u Repeat The Treatment.Vitacox Is Good.

3. After Vitacox,Give Multivitamin For About 2days.Then,Use Penprovit/Anicillin To Take Care Of Infections.

4.After Penprovit,Use Multivitamin For Them For 5-7 Days.

Note: I Gave This Outline Based On My Experience And What Worked For Me. NOT as a Doc.

Thanks tabontabon, you are most helpful
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Cuteamigo1(m): 4:28pm On May 02, 2016
hello fellow farmers. pls I want to construct a pen that will house a battery cage using the gutter system but I haven't found any pictures online that will help me with what I need. I please need anyone of you to help me with a pictorial guide or a link that can help. thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 12:01pm On May 03, 2016
Cuteamigo1:
hello fellow farmers. pls I want to construct a pen that will house a battery cage using the gutter system but I haven't found any pictures online that will help me with what I need. I please need anyone of you to help me with a pictorial guide or a link that can help. thanks.

Use the normal cage construction underneath the cage is where the pit will be dug whc will be slopy towards the back and link to other pit and connected to a pipe to deposit the poop into a pit.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Cuteamigo1(m): 12:39pm On May 03, 2016
alakara:

Use the normal cage construction underneath the cage is where the pit will be dug whc will be slopy towards the back and link to other pit and connected to a pipe to deposit the poop into a pit.
thanks for the reply. although I appreciate it, I wish you had pictures for me.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jay7(m): 3:09pm On May 03, 2016
Am happy to come across this piece of information, let me start by saying poultry business is not as risky as people think, most people giving advice here and discouraging people might not be into poultry production some are giving the advice based on what they get online or what they were been told by a friend who has not raised a single chicken before, i stand to be corrected but what i know is that if you take your bio-security measuresand vaccinations very strictly then you are good to go. As for coccidiosis treatment i can recommend (Pantacox) it good and very ok, if you are interested in getting a business plan and also compounding your layers and broiler feed yourself you can contact me on facebook by searching for (Olusunle Juwon) you can also get my mobile number from my facebook page, you can also send me an email on Juwonolusunle@gmail.com.
Before you start tagging me a scammer i am a graduate of Animal Production and i did my final year project compounding my broiler feed myself and the end result at 8 weeks was amazing.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tunezvic(m): 7:30pm On May 03, 2016
jay7:
Am happy to come across this piece of information, let me start by saying poultry business is not as risky as people think, most people giving advice here and discouraging people might not be into poultry production some are giving the advice based on what they get online or what they were been told by a friend who has not raised a single chicken before, i stand to be corrected but what i know is that if you take your bio-security measuresand vaccinations very strictly then you are good to go. As for coccidiosis treatment i can recommend (Pantacox) it good and very ok, if you are interested in getting a business plan and also compounding your layers and broiler feed yourself you can contact me on facebook by searching for (Olusunle Juwon) you can also get my mobile number from my facebook page, you can also send me an email on Juwonolusunle@gmail.com.
Before you start tagging me a scammer i am a graduate of Animal Production and i did my final year project compounding my broiler feed myself and the end result at 8 weeks was amazing.
just because you did a project of 8weeks doesn't mean you know a lot about poultry. There are many experienced poultry farmers on this thread who have been into poultry before you even gain admission into the University. So, if you want to show your level of expertise, do it on this forum or gather more experience.. Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:45am On May 04, 2016
mercylicious:
And suddenly, a post made in 2012 starts trending in 2016 and emails start flying.
Fnk has gone beyond the small scale backyard research /test .

For all the ppl dropping their mails here, you better start reading from page one to last. You will get all d info u need.

Cheers

@farmtech, e don tey ooo. How is your farm?

Been quit buzzy 4 some time. My farm is doing fine. expanding is next thing in mine. How about yours? Did u later set up the plantain farm
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jay7(m): 4:23pm On May 04, 2016
tunezvic:
just because you did a project of 8weeks doesn't mean you know a lot about poultry. There are many experienced poultry farmers on this thread who have been into poultry before you even gain admission into the University. So, if you want to show your level of expertise, do it on this forum or gather more experience.. Thanks.
Before coming here to advertise myself on feed formulation i have been into poultry farming since 2007 while still in secondary school and i don't think there is anything bad in advising people to take bio-security measures seriously am using my project as a reference point and when it comes to feed i believe am an expert in that area although am still learning I have a software for poultry feed formulation the software has various conventional and non-conventional feedstuffs parameters so all i have to do is to ask my prospective customers the available feedstuffs in their area and my software will take care of the rest, i will give out the percentage of each ingredients to be mixed, i will also give out the ME (Kcal/Kg) content, the crude protein content, the crude fibre content e.t.c and to further butress my work i will take the compounded feed to the laboratory for proximate analysis. I believe if you know how to compound yourself you can turn non-conventional feedstuffs like burukutu waste, maize offal, rice offal, palm kernel cake, wheat offal e.t.c and some conventional feedstuffs like maize, soybean meal or soy bean full fat, e.t.c into Animal feed and it will meet the nutrients requirement of the birds at a low cost. Imagine raising a 2.7Kg broiler bird for just 900 to 1100 naira and selling your birds out for 1500 to 2000 or more i know some people will claim it is not possible to raise a broiler at that price but expertise in poultry will tell you it is possible. Thanks for the advice there is no end to learning am still learning too, because where you think is your peak of knowing or knowledge is another man's starting point.

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Nbg4real: 9:04pm On May 05, 2016
Pls hoise ny pullets are in there 19th week, 930 in number but are still takung 2bags of feed daily i am using vital feed,have of them are still looking stunted in their growth, i did all necessary vaccine and deworming. Pls help me with what to do.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mercyadem002(m): 11:55pm On May 05, 2016
Am happy to be here..
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 7:45am On May 06, 2016
Two Bags Of Feed For 930birds And You Are Complaining Of Stunted Growth.What And How You Feed Them Is What You Get.You Better Increase Their Feed.

A Bag Of Feed Should Be For 220birds Maximum.
Nbg4real:
Pls hoise ny pullets are in there 19th week, 930 in number but are still takung 2bags of feed daily i am using vital feed,have of them are still looking stunted in their growth, i did all necessary vaccine and deworming. Pls help me with what to do.

2 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Stepp: 9:35am On May 06, 2016
Good morning all. I'm new to here and find the thread quite educating. I need some useful information on how to start a poultry farm. I particularly need info on cost of construction of the poultry building. Please I also need to know if I can get one that can build it. This's very urgent as I want to start this month. I await a quick response from any of the experienced farmers in-house. Regards.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by yemmit90: 3:31pm On May 06, 2016
jay7:

Before coming here to advertise myself on feed formulation i have been into poultry farming since 2007 while still in secondary school and i don't think there is anything bad in advising people to take bio-security measures seriously am using my project as a reference point and when it comes to feed i believe am an expert in that area although am still learning I have a software for poultry feed formulation the software has various conventional and non-conventional feedstuffs parameters so all i have to do is to ask my prospective customers the available feedstuffs in their area and my software will take care of the rest, i will give out the percentage of each ingredients to be mixed, i will also give out the ME (Kcal/Kg) content, the crude protein content, the crude fibre content e.t.c and to further butress my work i will take the compounded feed to the laboratory for proximate analysis. I believe if you know how to compound yourself you can turn non-conventional feedstuffs like burukutu waste, maize offal, rice offal, palm kernel cake, wheat offal e.t.c and some conventional feedstuffs like maize, soybean meal or soy bean full fat, e.t.c into Animal feed and it will meet the nutrients requirement of the birds at a low cost. Imagine raising a 2.7Kg broiler bird for just 900 to 1100 naira and selling your birds out for 1500 to 2000 or more i know some people will claim it is not possible to raise a broiler at that price but expertise in poultry will tell you it is possible. Thanks for the advice there is no end to learning am still learning too, because where you think is your peak of knowing or knowledge is another man's starting point.

You spent between 900-1100 naira to raise a broiler to 2.7kg and you think it's cheap? There is a difference between broiler raise to target kg and the one raise for the market size. If you are targeting kg, you wont spent up to that to achieve 2.7kg.

But i like the fact that you said 'i'm still learning too'.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mercyadem002(m): 10:18pm On May 06, 2016
Good evening, pls i need layer that as raise to laying point.. Am living in ilesa, osun state, where cn i get it and how much can i get it... I need like 55 to 70 birds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by survivalagro: 12:36pm On May 08, 2016
Mature laying goose for Sale.
Greylag breed.
#110,000 for the family
Call 07062252747
Inspection is allowed

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Foldar: 8:48pm On May 08, 2016
Hello great farmers in the house.I am new here but I started poultry buz last yr wt less than 100 pullets. This year I went further to do 200 pullets from day old.Now they are about 14weeks old but for over a week now I have bn having brownish watery poo among my birds and I have administered anticocci (centre toltr) for 2days but no much improvement. Pls what else shd I do. Xks. Foldar.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Spidermon: 7:29am On May 09, 2016
raphemmanuel:

fullzyme. comes in 10kg buckets. Sold by Adamore(same company That sells kepro products eg keproceryl)
inclusion rate is 250grams per tonne of feed

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.