Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,788 members, 7,827,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966670 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by taiwoliu(m): 6:03pm On Jun 21, 2016
Good day house,

Please can anyone recommend which bone meal i can purchase and in what ratio is adviceable to mix it with the feed?
thanks all
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Phalldhe: 9:05pm On Jun 21, 2016
@ tailor, with 300k, you can start a layer farm if and only if the poultry house, feeding and drinking troughs are available.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jay7(m): 3:38pm On Jun 22, 2016
taiwoliu:
Good day house,

Please can anyone recommend which bone meal i can purchase and in what ratio is adviceable to mix it with the feed?
thanks all

It depends on the feed formula you are using you don't just mixed like that anyway you can contact me on whatsapp with 08070872196 for a standard feed formula for both broilers and layers but I do charge ooo.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rex0105(m): 4:22am On Jun 23, 2016
Hello House,

I'm new to the poultry farming business but still I'm in love with the profession hence my approaching the house and experts who's experience and invaluable contributions and opinion would be highly appreciated.
I want to venture into the field with a 1000 birds (Layers), my questions are:

1. Should I go for a day old birds or POLs as a newbie in the field.
2. Cost implication of both categories.
3. Challenges to be anticipated in both categories.
4. What type and where to source for both classes of birds, poultry is to be situated close to Ifo along Abeoukta Expressway.
5. Any other suggestions will greatly welcome.

Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by taiwoliu(m): 9:11am On Jun 23, 2016
jay7:

It depends on the feed formula you are using you don't just mixed like that anyway you can contact me on whatsapp with 08070872196 for a standard feed formula for both broilers and layers but I do charge ooo.
I'm not formulating my own feed (yet), i intend to use TOPFEED, that's why i asked how to mix it with the bone meal.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 2:39pm On Jun 23, 2016
taiwoliu:
I'm not formulating my own feed (yet), i intend to use TOPFEED, that's why i asked how to mix it with the bone meal.

Buy topfeed category of the bird you intend to feed and feed them straight forward dont mix anything with it
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 2:47pm On Jun 23, 2016
rex0105:
Hello House,
I'm new to the poultry farming business but still I'm in love with the profession hence my approaching the house and experts who's experience and invaluable contributions and opinion would be highly appreciated.

4. What type and where to source for both classes of birds, poultry is to be situated close to Ifo along Abeoukta Expressway.

Thanks.

1000 is too much for a start.
You can start with 100 for a start.
I imploy u to start with doc so that u will knw the nitty gritty of the process.
You can source from reputable agents.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jay7(m): 4:00pm On Jun 23, 2016
alakara:

Buy topfeed category of the bird you intend to feed and feed them straight forward dont mix anything with it

Gbam!!! You hit d nail in d head once you are buying commercial feed you don't need to mix it with anything because the company has already mixed the feed in the right proportion.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Engineermbugame(m): 4:52pm On Jun 23, 2016
Am serious i need of advice,which birds is good to start with?like 50 or 30 boiler or layers.cost of feeding is no go area nah.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by taiwoliu(m): 7:14pm On Jun 23, 2016
alakara:

ok.... Just for clarification: I was adviced to add bone meal in their (broiler) feed, Do you think the bone content of Topfeed is sufficient?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by taiwoliu(m): 7:16pm On Jun 23, 2016
jay7:

Gbam!!! You hit d nail in d head once you are buying commercial feed you don't need to mix it with anything because the company has already mixed the feed in the right proportion.
just seeing this... ..thanks for the short but powerful response
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 10:10pm On Jun 23, 2016
Hello house, I need point of lay birds at week 14 or 15. Where can I get it in Abuja or any other place, and how much is per bird?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 10:33pm On Jun 23, 2016
Engineermbugame:
Am serious i need of advice,which birds is good to start with?like 50 or 30 boiler or layers.cost of feeding is no go area nah.
everything depends on ur budget.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by tabontabon: 3:12am On Jun 24, 2016
You Will Be Better Of With Broiler.They Mature Between 8-10wks.For Layers,you Have To Feed Them For About 24wks Or More Before You Talk Of Making Money.
Engineermbugame:
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by hayor2014(m): 11:30am On Jun 24, 2016
Please I need an advice..i want to do the concrete casting of my pen(layers pen with gutter) next week.... Do I need to cast with iron rod in the portion where the poo will drop.....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by alakara(m): 1:38pm On Jun 24, 2016
hayor2014:
Please I need an advice..i want to do the concrete casting of my pen(layers pen with gutter) next week.... Do I need to cast with iron rod in the portion where the poo will drop.....
no need of iron rod
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Crocz(m): 4:27pm On Jun 24, 2016
hayor2014:
No need of iron rod...that's extra cost unless you can spare

I have a question of my own, pls how do you plan to get rid of droppings from the gutter?...so far all the methods I've seen isn't exactly the best
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 8:34pm On Jun 24, 2016
Anybody in the house...
please between vital feed and top feed which one is more preferable.
that is the one that can give good result.
I will like to hear your opinions...
thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by rex0105(m): 7:18am On Jun 25, 2016
@ alakara,
Thanks a bunch for the piece of advice. I've thought about starting with doc but later dropped the idea bocs of some reasons. I intend to start with POL then introduce doc along the line by which time I would have been familiar with the nitty gritty of the field.

But thanks all the same.

Another question, can some incorporate fish farming along with the poultry? any health issue to be expected or something like that?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 8:38am On Jun 25, 2016
rex0105:
@ alakara,
Thanks a bunch for the piece of advice. I've thought about starting with doc but later dropped the idea bocs of some reasons. I intend to start with POL then introduce doc along the line by which time I would have been familiar with the nitty gritty of the field.

But thanks all the same.

Another question, can some incorporate fish farming along with the poultry? any health issue to be expected or something like that?

Why don't u start doc? How much is for pol and how much for doc?
Am about to start with doc.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 9:50am On Jun 25, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:
Hello house, I need point of lay birds at week 14 or 15. Where can I get it in Abuja or any other place, and how much is per bird?
I have 14 weeks for you. where is your location in Abuja? pm me or I pm you.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 9:58am On Jun 25, 2016
raphemmanuel:
Anybody in the house...
please between vital feed and top feed which one is more preferable.
that is the one that can give good result.
I will like to hear your opinions...
thanks
almost d same result but I can vouch more for vital feeds bro . wat birds are u into ? broilers or layers?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 10:31am On Jun 25, 2016
rex0105:
Hello House,

Thanks.

with the FG closing the border, n the primary school feeding program, egg n broiler business is the new gold mining in town so 1000 layers for example is not much if you are serious about monitoring and quality control viz:
1. 1 worker or farm attendant well care for is a must if you won't b around. he would b responsible for feeding d birds; litter management, feed transporting ,security n reporting to you.
2. At peak performance, 3 months into lay, 1000layers for example will give u an average of 25 to 28 crates daily @ N700(which may increase) = N19,600 daily while you feed 4 bags daily at about N11,500 saving about N6,000 daily if u remove N2000 for salary n logistics.
birds lay 247, so you have 6k x 30 = 180,000monthly for abt 9 months n can b non stop if you plan ahead.
so you need to be conscious of 1. quality feed n feeding, 2. Biosecurity, 3. water quality ,4. theft , vaccination schedule etc .....

What do you need to put in place ice like cost of production before u can get to the above stage? what do u have?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nickdoc(m): 11:08am On Jun 25, 2016
Pls gurus in house help me out with this problem, my birds' eyes are reddish and they are producing water. Wht could be cause of it? Few of them pass out green poo and i have treated them with colisultix but it didnt take care of the problem. Wht drug is most effective against the new castle disease?

My pullets are about 960 in number, They two months and three weeks now, is two bags of and half enough or small for them? I use Top feed. Pls i need urgent reply from experts in the house.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omonla1010: 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2016
@ nickdoc your birds are infected with Coryza and Newcastle disease. visit nearest vet store for drugs. or
Use anicillin or antibiotics that contains ampicillin and
streptomycin for Coryza and virucidal solution for the Newcastle.
at 11week, a pullet should consume 61g per day. so 960 x 0.061kg= 58.56kg which is almost 60kg which is 2 bags and 10kg,almost 2.5bags.
best wishes.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 3:00pm On Jun 25, 2016
Babacele:
I have 14 weeks for you. where is your location in Abuja? pm me or I pm you.

How much per bird?

I will b coming over cos I don't live in Abuja.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by raphemmanuel(m): 3:37pm On Jun 25, 2016
Babacele:
almost d same result but I can vouch more for vital feeds bro . wat birds are u into ? broilers or layers?
broiler.
am currently using vital but am not getting a better result, that was the reason why am asking about the two feeds. cos I want to switch to top feed
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 5:36pm On Jun 25, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

How much per bird?
I will b coming over cos I don't live in Abuja.
I'm sending you a PM.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 5:42pm On Jun 25, 2016
raphemmanuel:
broiler.
am currently using vital but am not getting a better result, that was the reason why am asking about the two feeds. cos I want to switch to top feed
OK. how old is your flock? then wat is d source of d broilers? n wat about their water consumption? history of any disease?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by IdisuleOurOwn(m): 5:44pm On Jun 25, 2016
Babacele:
I'm sending you a PM.

I find it difficult accessing my mail through Nairaland.

Let me check, if I can't access it I will pm u my number for us to chat on whatsapp.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 5:51pm On Jun 25, 2016
IdisuleOurOwn:

I find it difficult accessing my mail through Nairaland.

Let me check, if I can't access it I will pm u my number for us to chat on whatsapp.
ok
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Babacele: 5:57pm On Jun 25, 2016
nickdoc:
Pls gurus in house help me out with this problem, my birds' eyes are reddish and they are producing water. Wht could be cause of it? Few of them pass out green poo and i have treated them with colisultix but it didnt take care of the problem. Wht drug is most effective against the new castle disease?

My pullets are about 960 in number, They two months and three weeks now, is two bags of and half enough or small for them? I use Top feed. Pls i need urgent reply from experts in the house.
do you have a vaccination schedule? and where is your location in Nigeria because Temperature will determine d use n frequency of vaccine eg Lasota for the Newcastle - the malaria of poultry.

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.