Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,783 members, 7,851,654 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 03:39 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (38) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (969934 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 10:47am On Aug 13, 2013
I just got informed dat my broilers(24pcs) are kinda white-ish dis morning. I feed them well(they eat like crazy! My 44 cockrels too) and giv vaccine, drug when due, why this? D broilers feed to a point dey cud not walk, dey are 19 days old today, is it normal?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 2:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
soft77: WHICH EXACT ADRESS IN ABEOKUTA AND IF U CAN PLACE ALSO CONTACT NUMBER FOR THE EVENT THANKS

Here are the contact people for the event.

Dorcas - 08028352551, Charity - 08056253215
Anyone of them will give info about the summit
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 2:31pm On Aug 13, 2013
fnk: Hello Everyone, An opportunity to learn about the industry. I am currently out of town, but I am sending one of my staffs to attend this event

WESNAGRIC SUMMIT. Western Nigeria Agriculture Conference, Workshop/Seminar and Training. Lagos, Oyok Ekiti, Ondo, Kwara, Osun & Ogun State
Agric Show coming up on the 13th -15th of August, 2013 in Abeokuta Ogun state.
N2,500 for registration. I don't know if it is for each day
Each day has different event. With speakers locally and internationally present. There would be lots of materials to buy. Many Farmers and manufacturers will be present too to showcase their products and innovations.

If I get their phone# I will share it here for anyone who want to attend.

Here are the contact people for the event.

Dorcas - 08028352551, Charity - 08056253215
Anyone of them will give info about the summit
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2013
Hello house,
I am in need of a poultry pen that can house between 5000-10000 birds around ifo ogun state, anyone with info should contact me ASAP: sokulezy@gmail.com or 08027572375
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2013
n0m0705:
Go to "joy vet" along ansarudeen road, you will get your drugs and vaccines at a cheaper rate.

Thanks a lot sir. Got that. If you happen to know any good feedmill around there pls do not hesitate to drop the address wink Ciao

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 9:58pm On Aug 13, 2013
confluence: @henlus,
Thanks for the insight,
How do one lower the temperature in a place where temperature overs around 35-37 degree?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 10:08pm On Aug 13, 2013
confluence: @henlus,
Thanks for the insight,
How do one lower the temperature in a place where temperature overs around 35-37 degree?
you can install fans, place some palm leaves on the roof or add a thatch roof.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 6:49am On Aug 14, 2013
miqos02:
hello boss, pls help with this issue, i got about 90 POL birds in april, but till today i have not gotten up to 100% laying, the highest i get is 80 eggs, what can i do to get the rest to lay
This is the problem with farmers who fails to raise with from another source.I still believe in DO it yourself.Anyway what I will advice you is to improve their lightning programme.
How many bags of feed are they eating per day and what is the liters of water .If they are not looking as in this picture they will not lay.
check the comb and wattle are they brighter?Give them extra feed and be patient .

1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 10:44am On Aug 14, 2013
obnelly:
This is the problem with farmers who fails to raise with from another source.I still believe in DO it yourself.Anyway what I will advice you is to improve their lightning programme.
How many bags of feed are they eating per day and what is the liters of water .If they are not looking as in this picture they will not lay.
check the comb and wattle are they brighter?Give them extra feed and be patient .
thank you, i feed them 10kg of feed daily
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 5:09pm On Aug 14, 2013
miqos02:
thank you, i feed them 10kg of feed daily
How often did you feed them with the 10kg per day.I mean do you feed them 5kgs in the morning and 5kg in the afternoon?How many liters of water are the consuming per day,Are they on floor or battery cage.Are you following the right lightning program for the chicken.Are they active ?Do they make noise as if they wanna lay?Did they bend down when you move your hands over them if no ,they are not yet ready to lay.It means their body weight isnt enough to produce eggs .If no disease in the pen and they are eating and very active i will advice you to keep feeding them.And when was the last time you deworming and delousing them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 5:25pm On Aug 14, 2013
The first three months of chicken(layers) is very paramount to their laying cycle .The right spacing,heating system,ammonia build up in the pen,depth of wood shavings,feeding,water consumption and lightning plus vaccination.Most breeder dont care about this, all they are after is to feed irregular feed , inadequate water, poor spacing ,lightning to this chicken after 3months you pick them as point of lay and you start facing the headache when you suppose to start making your money gradually.
If you have 8 eggs the next day it should increase to 10 thereafter to 13 eggs.On no condition should you stay on 8eggs for more than a week except if those chicken are not hatched the same day or week.I hope you get my gist.If all things being equal you should have you eggs flowing gradually till you hit 88-90%.The highest you can have is 90 -98% you cant have 100% production.If its still 88% you arent doing bad.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 5:34pm On Aug 14, 2013
I just reread you post now you said 80eggs out of 90 point of lay .I thought its 8eggs.Then if its 80eggs you are not doing bad.what it means is that is your peak value.80/90*100=88.9%.you are stillon course.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 6:13pm On Aug 14, 2013
obnelly: The first three months of chicken(layers) is very paramount to their laying cycle .The right spacing,heating system,ammonia build up in the pen,depth of wood shavings,feeding,water consumption and lightning plus vaccination.Most breeder dont care about this, all they are after is to feed irregular feed , inadequate water, poor spacing ,lightning to this chicken after 3months you pick them as point of lay and you start facing the headache when you suppose to start making your money gradually.
If you have 8 eggs the next day it should increase to 10 thereafter to 13 eggs.On no condition should you stay on 8eggs for more than a week except if those chicken are not hatched the same day or week.I hope you get my gist.If all things being equal you should have you eggs flowing gradually till you hit 88-90%.The highest you can have is 90 -98% you cant have 100% production.If its still 88% you arent doing bad.

What's the ideal photoperiod you administer to your layers, the natural 12hrs daylight or do you light up your pens at night to increase photoperiod?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 7:49am On Aug 15, 2013
For the love of learning

I noticed some folks here saying they gave their birds IO Vaccine and some newbies too asking about IO Vaccine. IO is not a vaccine, it is a Route of vaccine administration. Lemme give you the various types;
1. Intra Ocular (IO) -through the eyes, i.e eye drop. Check dictionary, ocular means eye
2. Intra Muscular (IM)- through the muscle, usually thigh muscle, i.e Injection
3. Sub-Cutaneous (SC) - under the skin, usually neck area or wing web
4. Through drinking water
5. Spraying

There are others but these are the basic.

Usually when people say they gave their birds IO on the first day, what they are reffering to is Marek's disease which is usually administered through eye drop. Marek's disease is the vaccine. Intra Ocular (IO) is the route. If you go to the drugs store, ask for Marek, not IO! But usually there's no need. All standard hatcheries do Marek vaccination immediately after hatching before sales. But please ask them to confirm if they did it, if not, you do it yourself. Last time I went to Avians, it was done in my presence, I paid. In Ofn, Igboora, you dont pay, it's free.

The Shootist.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 11:49am On Aug 15, 2013
basking4me: Many thanks Limeone,

Nice to know that i have someone who is feeling what I am feeling at this stage too.

My farm is in lagos but we have a new and bigger facility very close to atan in Ota area of ogun state. You really must be feeling the bite harder than me cos of your current stock level.

I realy wouldnt mind us comparing notes. Regards.

'close to Atan?' whoa, pls send the address and your cell phone number to the_shootist@yahoo.com
I'll like to reach you. Mine is in Atan, size is nothing compared to yours o, I'm in the beginning!
Thanks.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 12:47pm On Aug 15, 2013
The Shootist:

Thanks a lot sir. Got that. If you happen to know any good feedmill around there pls do not hesitate to drop the address wink Ciao
I am no longer milling feed myself as I prefer the ready made feed but I can vouch for "graceline", you will see the signpost opposite GTBank at oju ore.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 1:31pm On Aug 15, 2013
obnelly: I just reread you post now you said 80eggs out of 90 point of lay .I thought its 8eggs.Then if its 80eggs you are not doing bad.what it means is that is your peak value.80/90*100=88.9%.you are stillon course.
ok boss. thank you
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by lekank: 4:01pm On Aug 15, 2013
obnelly: I just reread you post now you said 80eggs out of 90 point of lay .I thought its 8eggs.Then if its 80eggs you are not doing bad.what it means is that is your peak value.80/90*100=88.9%.you are stillon course.

Obnelly..please can you inbox me your number..Mine number is 08032588307.. I am about to start my poultry business back and i dont want to waste resources and all, plus i need a good vet or someone that can be helping me look after them at interval medically.. please kindly inbox me or send a mail to segun_fadeyi@yahoo.com.

I stay at Ikotun..pls people I need help and advice badly.

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by samshoz(m): 11:37pm On Aug 15, 2013
Great farmers, which formula is cost effective for poultry, i have like 70 birds(Broilers and cockerel), they feed(25 kg bag:N2,400- weekly) like birds on a suicide mission, due to over eating lol. Its eating deep into my pocket and they are 22 days old today. Any advice on how to save cost and still feed them effectively? Pls dnt ignore like u did my questn earlier.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Idango(m): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2013
Hi guys, thank you all for contributing to this great thread, i am also an intending poultry farmer. My interest is the broiler, but i keep hearing every body saying there is no market ( both on this forum and outside) and i just wonder why. I was listening to a fast food owner not long ago and he said there is shortage of chicken for meat and he gave example of the fact that the largest chicken processing plant in South Africa process about 1,000,000 chicken a day while the largest chicken processing plant in Nigeria which is in Lagos process about 35,000 chicken a day ( can you imagine that) and our population is tripled that of south Africa.

So what exactly is the problem, food sellers are saying no enough meat, farmers are saying no market. Please can somebody help shed light cos i believe the main money in this business is on the broiler.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by miqos02(m): 10:44am On Aug 16, 2013
@obnelly, i just discovered that some egg shells breaks easily, what do i do. i use top feeds
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 7:45pm On Aug 16, 2013
Idango: Hi guys, thank you all for contributing to this great thread, i am also an intending poultry farmer. My interest is the broiler, but i keep hearing every body saying there is no market ( both on this forum and outside) and i just wonder why. I was listening to a fast food owner not long ago and he said there is shortage of chicken for meat and he gave example of the fact that the largest chicken processing plant in South Africa process about 1,000,000 chicken a day while the largest chicken processing plant in Nigeria which is in Lagos process about 35,000 chicken a day ( can you imagine that) and our population is tripled that of south Africa.

So what exactly is the problem, food sellers are saying no enough meat, farmers are saying no market. Please can somebody help shed light cos i believe the main money in this business is on the broiler.

As a scientist you dont base your reports based on past record.You need to create market for whatever you intend to sell.Remember if you cant get your right customers you wont succeed in selling your products.Do your survey before you jump into production of either cockrel or broiler as the case may be.Its fun when you get the right market for your products .
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 7:51pm On Aug 16, 2013
samshoz: Great farmers, which formula is cost effective for poultry, i have like 70 birds(Broilers and cockerel), they feed(25 kg bag:N2,400- weekly) like birds on a suicide mission, due to over eating lol. Its eating deep into my pocket and they are 22 days old today. Any advice on how to save cost and still feed them effectively? Pls dnt ignore like u did my questn earlier.

Before you embark into production of broiler or cockerel you need to ask yourself some questions like:
How many days am i going to feed this birds to slaughtering weight.
what day am i going to sell them off.
No doubt chicken for meat production do eat more than enough feed but with your right calculation and slaughtering date /selling date at hand ,you should be fine otherwise you will keep feeding them till you dont have nothing left in your bank account.

Go for grower mash Its cheaper .

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 12:33am On Aug 17, 2013
n0m0705:
I am no longer milling feed myself as I prefer the ready made feed but I can vouch for "graceline", you will see the signpost opposite GTBank at oju ore.
Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ayodejy05(m): 9:40pm On Aug 17, 2013
[quote author=FarmTech][/quote]
How did you design the pen? Let me see the picture
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mattin(m): 1:24pm On Aug 18, 2013
Hi nairalanders, more grace to your farming.
I want to go into livestock breeding especially poultry then turkey, rabbit,
cattle, goat, fishery, snailry Floand
How do I get a capital for it and how do I go about the business plan that can attract an investor to buy into it?
Pls I need a positive and utmost response
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by nairainvader(m): 1:35pm On Aug 18, 2013
for those who intend raising birds 4sale by xmas period,nw is d time 2bgin ooh.av gotten arrangemnts ready. my trget 2ook by dec
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by TheShootist(m): 5:21pm On Aug 18, 2013
nairainvader: for those who intend raising birds 4sale by xmas period,nw is d time 2bgin ooh.av gotten arrangemnts ready. my trget 2ook by dec

N200,000K Profit? Cool. How many birds are you raising?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 6:21pm On Aug 18, 2013
Fellow farmers in the house. Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I have been busy with a few things.
The good news is that my birds have not disappointed. They have started delivering the golden eggs.
I owe a lot of appreciation to this thread for all the advise and knowledge shared. It went a long way to see me through this project.
My birds are in their 25th week now. I hope to share more details later. Mortality is only about 2%. Is God not wonderful?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by MarcoP: 6:31pm On Aug 18, 2013
I learnt the price of eggs is looking up now.
Does anyone have the going rate in Ogun state? I live around Ijoko and the women here want to take my eggs for free.
Wishing you all a profitable week.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 10:49pm On Aug 18, 2013
Marco-P :
Fellow farmers in the house. Thank you for keeping this thread alive. I have been busy with a few things.
The good news is that my birds have not disappointed. They have started delivering the golden eggs.
I owe a lot of appreciation to this thread for all the advise and knowledge shared. It went a long way to see me through this project.
My birds are in their 25th week now. I hope to share more details later. Mortality is only about 2%. Is God not wonderful?

My broda, God is wonderful, congratulation. But you ve been scarce, pls be more active so u can help others.weldone bro
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by n0m0705(m): 5:52am On Aug 19, 2013
nairainvader: for those who intend raising birds 4sale by xmas period,nw is d time 2bgin ooh.av gotten arrangemnts ready. my trget 2ook by dec
Is it not too early to start broilers targeted for xmas now? Personally I usually start around 14- 15 wks to xmas and they will be as big as you can imagine (just like breeders).you tend to have lower profit margin when you start too early

(1) (2) (3) ... (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.