Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,476 members, 7,830,394 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:06 PM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (35) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (967091 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 1:32pm On Jun 21, 2013
Helloo house , am counting down to the arrival of my chicks.

Please how many drinkers and feeders do I need to buy for 1000 DOC
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Moses21: 8:28pm On Jun 21, 2013
if any one need help in brooding of poultry chicks. call this no 07067395644

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Trueigbo: 10:48pm On Jun 21, 2013
Moses21: if any one need help in brooding of poultry chicks. call this no 07067395644

If u hv anytin to say, say it here for all to learn

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 6:51pm On Jun 22, 2013
jamp: Helloo house , am counting down to the arrival of my chicks.

Please how many drinkers and feeders do I need to buy for 1000 DOC

If you are counting down on your DOC, you should have already gotten everything you need to get going, well go back and quickly go through this tread, someone must have given that info here. Anyways, from my analysis, you will need about 40 drinkers for 1000 birds. Others may have a different number.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by akonucheinfo(m): 3:05pm On Jun 24, 2013
Please am interested in poultry, but will like to have a pratical knowledge of it before I make further attempt. Am within Lagos,and will appreciate a Mentor to guide me.I don't mind if I work for the mentor in his or her farm for free.what I need is the practical and raw understanding of poultry Layers in particular.tnx

Pls also, how many birds will a normal one bedroom side pen contain for layers ?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:25pm On Jun 27, 2013
akonucheinfo: Please am interested in poultry, but will like to have a pratical knowledge of it before I make further attempt. Am within Lagos,and will appreciate a Mentor to guide me.I don't mind if I work for the mentor in his or her farm for free.what I need is the practical and raw understanding of poultry Layers in particular.tnx

Pls also, how many birds will a normal one bedroom side pen contain for layers ?

Read the thread well, the spacing has been discussed extensively
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by ayoope(f): 11:31am On Jun 29, 2013
Please am interested in turkey farming. Is it true that there is no market for turkey as there is for layers/broilers? Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by DnigerianPrince: 2:49pm On Jun 29, 2013
fnk:

@jites thank you for your encouraging words. This is something I have always wanted to do. My company represent American companies that want to expand their product distribution into Africa, I have brought in 4companies but amist all this, I feel having a business that is locally produced and locally consumed will be much better than so much worries about importation. So for me poultry business opportunity falls into that bracket. So I am glad to be starting something.

To answer your question, want to focuse on broilers to start, and I want to build a pen that cab hold 8,000 birds at different stages, the pen will have demarcations inside (removable). I want to create a moving system where in each demarcation, we will have about 1,000 birds at different stage, I.e day old, a week old, 2 weeks old and so on. The deal is to create a system where we would have 1,000 birds ready for sale to our customers weekly. And as we grow, we can reduce it to daily.

I am starting with 2 plots, but I have about 9 plots all fenced in, so their is space to expand into when needed. About the Sq/bird, I will double check, but to tell you the truth, I am following this tread religiously and learning from everyone, and I think above on this page, there is info on sq/bird that I am cross checking with other info I have. I just hired a supervisor, that will start work tomorrow, even though the poultry is not even build yet, his initial job will be to start from page one of this tread read every thing and take notes, thinking about it, I hope he doesn't run off to go start his owner after going through the tread. LOL!!!

I want to do this thing right, this is an opportunity. Yes I will post pix to show how my V-mix is working. It will be fun.

I'll be following you keenly. I have my eyes on going on a large scale poultry farming but i have zero knowlege of the operations but willing to learn. Please keep us posted as you move along..Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:25pm On Jun 29, 2013
ayoope: Please am interested in turkey farming. Is it true that there is no market for turkey as there is for layers/broilers? Thanks

Its not true. There is market for turkey. Do your market research and u will see for urself
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Realdeals(m): 8:19am On Jun 30, 2013
It's New! www. a dedicated agriculture discussion.site,where you share and discuss with farmers and other agriculture professionals worldwide with free marketing opportunity.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 1:56pm On Jul 01, 2013
DnigerianPrince:

I'll be following you keenly. I have my eyes on going on a large scale poultry farming but i have zero knowlege of the operations but willing to learn. Please keep us posted as you move along..Thanks

Will do.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 12:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
Sorry friends ,I have been busy with a project .Thank God am almost done with it.As I have said earlier,I promise to share my little experience with you.

On the 28th of february 2013 1071 Day Old Chicks arrived into my farm.I lost 2 chicks on transit because of the distance up to two hours journey from Hatchery to my farm.All other chicks were doing just fine and my mortality was very low up to the 10th weeks(3.83%).

At the 11th week i lost 34 chicks in that week 11 due to an outbreak of fowl cholera.
cause of the fowl cholera is due to my next neighbour who channel his drainage system into my pen because a fence demarcated the two of us and i didnt notice on time ,after the administration of fowl pox vaccine which has been due for that week i observed that most chicks were not so active and on that very day i lost four chicks .immediately i took the carcass to the laboratory for test.It was confirmed fowl cholera infection and after making necessary precaution my farm mortality decline to zero.
In total I have 7.00% mortality.and livealiability of 93%.
The total expensive per bird is #632.12 ,
Total bags of feed up to 18th weeks =8,450 kg
Total vacccine administered =#50,680
Total cost of feed both chick starter and grower=#626,320
Total liters of water consumed up to 18th week 22,400liters

By the special grace of God I am caging 996 out of 1071 that i booked for on the 28th of february .I Hope I have good report and Good result.
By next week i should start smiling to the bank,The storm is over.

cheers

3 Likes

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 12:41pm On Jul 04, 2013
When she was 5 day old

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 2:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
Hello Poultry farmers, I hv missed the forum for a while now...I am back.I am happy to inform us all that I hv taken delivery of my cages -six in number that can house 720 layers.I shall send the pix as soon as am able to do so. I am patiently expecting my 500 POLs at 16weeks in August from Animal Care.Let's keep the fire burning as we are all meant for the top.

I am happy the forum has been most active and it shall remain so even when we have all become billionaires and exporters of poultry products.(Amen).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
See attached the cage as promised.We are all going to get to the top.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
The side wall will reduce your daily production because it will reduce free flow of air in the pen.There may likely be ammonia build up in the pen too.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 7:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
free flow of air in the pen reduces heat stress in the pen ,also it reduces rate of ammonia build up in the pen.It dry out moisture content present in litters /droppings thereby reducing the rate at which odour emanate from the pen.

Also i will build a bio reactor to convert all the farm waste into useful products.

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by basking4me: 9:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
Obnelly,

Congrats, glad to know you are doing good with your birds. I wish you the very best.

Omotititi, congrats on your taking delivery of the automated housing system for your POL.

We are all going to get there.

About an hour ago, we took delivery of 1000Cockrel DOCs. We are planning them for December Sales. Our DOC for Layers should Arrive in a couple of weeks soon. We are looking at increasing our capacity now.

All the best everyone.

Basking4me
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:14am On Jul 05, 2013
omotititi: Hello Poultry farmers, I hv missed the forum for a while now...I am back.I am happy to inform us all that I hv taken delivery of my cages -six in number that can house 720 layers.I shall send the pix as soon as am able to do so. I am patiently expecting my 500 POLs at 16weeks in August from Animal Care.Let's keep the fire burning as we are all meant for the top.

I am happy the forum has been most active and it shall remain so even when we have all become billionaires and exporters of poultry products.(Amen).

omotititi weldone. am proud of you. have much did you buy the cage that can contain 720 layers?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Mcfemad(m): 8:49am On Jul 05, 2013
We invite you to attend our next basic training program on Poultry Production & Management.
Date: 24-25th July 2013 at our training complex, Animal Care Services Konsult (Nig) Ltd, Iperu Ogere Road, Off Lagos-Ibadan Expressway, Ogere Remo, Ogun State, Nigeria. Fee is 15,000/participant and Time is 9am daily.

Bookings and Enquiries: ooparinde@animalcare-ng.com; fipamat@animalcare-ng.com or Call 08056290343.

It is a training program where we teach participants simple farming tips to do well in the poultry business; Animal Care as a leading operator in the livestock industry, has been in the poultry business for the past 33 years and we've successfully trained farmers who are doing very well today. We believe a candle loses nothing by lighting other candles, hence your participation at the training program will help you go a long way in acquiring the necessary skills in poultry production and management.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards!
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by phemiay(m): 10:52am On Jul 05, 2013
How to start importing goods less than $1 online. http:///123chWL
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Sirgee1: 8:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
omotititi: Hello Poultry farmers, I hv missed the forum for a while now...I am back.I am happy to inform us all that I hv taken delivery of my cages -six in number that can house 720 layers.I shall send the pix as soon as am able to do so. I am patiently expecting my 500 POLs at 16weeks in August from Animal Care.Let's keep the fire burning as we are all meant for the top.

Hello Omotititi. Thanks for your contribution.

please how much did the POLs cost u?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 8:23pm On Jul 05, 2013
jamp:

omotititi weldone. am proud of you. have much did you buy the cage that can contain 720 layers?
Sirgee1:

Hello Omotititi. Thanks for your contribution.

please how much did the POLs cost u?

Omotitit we are waiting for you oooooo
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hello friends,i bought d cages for 64k per one .though heavily subsidized cos the guy is a friend.I paid 1k for each POL at 16wks old.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by jamp: 11:28am On Jul 13, 2013
omotititi: Hello friends,i bought d cages for 64k per one .though heavily subsidized cos the guy is a friend.I paid 1k for each POL at 16wks old.

Thanks man. We will follow ur progress
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tosade01(m): 5:12pm On Jul 16, 2013
@ fnk I commend Your effort on here and the effort of others, av really learn a lot. Please kindly forward ur analysis to my email.
tosade2003k@yahoo.com

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2013
Tosade01: @ fnk I commend U̶̲̥̅̊r effort on here and the effort of others, av really learn a lot. Please kindly forward ur analysis to my email.
tosade2003k@yahoo.com

Thanks

Done, Please note that this analysis was done in 2011, so some prices have changed, but this should help as a guide.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obnelly: 8:59pm On Jul 17, 2013
Got my first egg today.I am so happy.I purposely delay their production because i didnt want it to lay on the floor.I have all in cages now and i got my first egg today.
Good to labour and in the end you see the result.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by latestsunny(m): 10:27pm On Jul 17, 2013
obnelly: Got my first egg today.I am so happy.I purposely delay their production because i didnt want it to lay on the floor.I have all in cages now and i got my first egg today.
Good to labour and in the end you see the result.

Congrat bro! I'm happy 4 u.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Tosade01(m): 11:17pm On Jul 17, 2013
fnk:

Done, Please note that this analysis was done in 2011, so some prices have changed, but this should help as a guide.

Thanks fnk, but unfortunately, I could not open those files. Kindly help me to resend.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 12:59am On Jul 18, 2013
Tosade01:

Thanks fnk, but unfortunately, I could not open those files. Kindly help me to resend.

no wahala

(1) (2) (3) ... (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.