Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,911 members, 7,817,684 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 PM

Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari (15362 Views)

Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project –buhari / Akinjide Attacks Buhari For Truncating Lagos Metroline Project / Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project-buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by dayokanu(m): 12:05am On Apr 08, 2011
Thank you Buhari for saving us from crippling debts
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 12:08am On Apr 08, 2011
Eziachi:

[s]So will go ahead to borrow money to buy a brand new BMW on a high credit interest, even as you came home and your wife told you that debt collectors had been trying to kick the door down all morning and your kids haven't ate since morning because there is nothing left i your bank account and his business is about to crumble?[/s]

That is how much some of you fools know about money management.
No wonder governors all over Nigeria today are all over the bond markets borrowing billions they have no idea how its going to be paid but as long as he uses it to dig few 7th century borehole here an there, few elephant projects everybody will dance home happy like a baboon.

civilized NIGERIANS my back foot.

Fail!

You are broke, but have a business plan that can give you 1000 times the money you put in.
You convince someone about your profit margin, they buy into it and even supply a manager and the finance. . . Everything is warming up nicely for you.

. . .Big boss comes along, kicks out the builders and shuts out the finance provider, because he is shortsighted. angry angry angry angry angry angry

Not good. All anyone need do is think about how much business and explosive development the metro would have generated.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by yuzedo: 12:12am On Apr 08, 2011
I dont see how lagos state would've been required to pay a penalty when the coy building the metro tendered a "proposal", not a bill. .
. . And i believe Buhari was right to err on the side of caution. . Obasanjo did the exact opposite over 20yrs later wiv d power project. . We have 0 megawatts to show for it  undecided
So Buhari's feasibility report might've saved Lagos/Nigeria billions,
PDP should take a cue from that kind of foresight. .  angry cool
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by jmaine: 12:23am On Apr 08, 2011
Eziachi:

So will go ahead to borrow money to buy a brand new BMW on a high credit interest, even as you came home and your wife told you that debt collectors had been trying to kick the door down all morning and your kids haven't ate since morning because there is nothing left i your bank account and his business is about to crumble?

That is how much some of you fools know about money management.
No wonder governors all over Nigeria today are all over the bond markets borrowing billions they have no idea how its going to be paid but as long as he uses it to dig few 7th century borehole here an there, few elephant projects everybody will dance home happy like a baboon.

civilized NIGERIANS my back foot.

What the heck are you tryna prove friend . .  Because your in debt so you have to jettison a good project that would have generated much money to pay up the debt and increase the standard of living of the populace . . Guess the Trillions the US is owing will stop them from going into more debt to finance a major project that will improve the economy on the long run .

Running a profitable business and economy is a whole lot different like running a petty home . . Towing your line . .assuming your parents were owing a measurable sum of debt and they had to borrow just to send you to a good school knowing fully well that you will come good and produce the goods  . .

Would you prefer they abandon your dream of getting a quality education, improving yourself, earning good money that will pay off that debt and better the lots of your family or you prefer and will appreciate them if they tow the Buhari line and abandon your inspiring drive to succeed  while the entire family riles and sink in abject poverty, pain and regret  . .

Answer it honestly
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by ibelab(m): 12:25am On Apr 08, 2011
The Buhari Cabinet
OFFICE NAME TERM
Head of State Muhammadu Buhari 1984–1985
Chief of Staff Tunde Idiagbon 1984–1985
Defense Domkat Bali 1984–1985
Agriculture Bukar Shuaib 1984–1985
Trade Mahmud Tukur 1984–1985
Communications A Abdullahi, Lt Col 1984–1985
Education Yarima Ibrahim 1984–1985
Finance Onaolapo Soleye 1984–1985
Abuja Mamman Jiya Vatsa 1984–1985
Health Emmanuel Nsan 1984–1985
Internal Affairs Mohammed Magoro 1984–1985
Foreign Affairs Ibrahim Gambari 1984–1985
Minister of Information Sam Omeruah 1984–1985
Transportation Abdullahi Ibrahim 1984–1985
Energy Tam David-West 1984–1985
Justice Chike Offodile 1984–1985
Works Patrick Koshoni 1984–1985
[edit]   if na so , grin  those the list say something? lipsrsealed
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by goshen(m): 12:33am On Apr 08, 2011
Infact, anyone swayed by this cheap propaganda is myopic and typical of failures' attitude to buckpass. It's synonymous to a 26 yrs old failure hinging non-performance on his 2 months sickness 25yrs ago. You will be tempted to ask him - "but what happened over the last 25yrs"

Meanwhile, over last 12 years, PDP ofwhich GEJ has been part of (as deputy Gov, Gov, Vice president and President) has plundered our resources. Sabotage our refineries for the cronies. Crippled PHCN to guarantee the billion naira Generator import industries to their friends. Embezzled infrastructural funds for road construction and maintenance;as such most of our roads are death trap (To imagine that some of the PRO-GEJ/PDP supporters may have lost their loved ones to accidents occasioned by bad roads).

The several sins of PDP/GEJ are just too weighty when you compare vis-a-vis with Buhari's few bad sides. it's INSANITY to keep doing same thing over and over again and expect a different result. PDP and GEJ have failed over 3 terms; why I should I entrust him with another term. What is GEJ pedigree as Deputy GOV to ALAMs; it was woeful. As GOV; he was wasteful. He plundered Bayelsa state treasury. As Vice president; he was quiescent. Finally; as President, he has been disappointing. He has been hopnobbing with confirmed thieves- Bode George, ALAMs and VOTE robbers like annenih. I see failure around him. The cabal backing him are using him as their continuous access to power and national treasury. The members of this cabal think of themselves 1st, 2nd and 3rd and do not have the populace at heart.

We have the chance now for emancipation. I say, let's utilize it.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Gayigaskia(m): 12:37am On Apr 08, 2011
PDP and JEG spending money for new posters on NL. Has anyone noticed GEJ supporters tend to have very low posts?

But the truth is even Lagos had the rail project executed in 1983,the looters in PDP will not maintain in it to see the light of 2011. Case in point countless infrastructures build before PDP were now all gone in waste. That Lagos subway would have been sitting in Oshodi without power and diesel to run it
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Eziachi: 12:41am On Apr 08, 2011
Beaf:

Fail!

You are broke, but have a business plan that can give you 1000 times the money you put in.
You convince someone about your profit margin, they buy into it and even supply a manager and the finance. . . Everything is warming up nicely for you.

. . .Big boss comes along, kicks out the builders and shuts out the finance provider, because he is shortsighted. angry angry angry angry angry angry

Not good. All anyone need do is think about how much business and explosive development the metro would have generated.

Beaf even if I am sure about nothing, I  am sure you knew nothing about creation of wealth. When someone is broke it mean that person has no money.
Having a business plan doesn't mean that you have the money to implement your plan. 9 out of every 10 business plans are thrown into the basket bin at the banks everyday, if not everyone will be business magnets now.

There had been property developers who ran out of money half way and cannot get any bank help anymore and they have no option than to send everbody home, pack up or face bankrupsy. You don't know what guaranteed is there that the Metro will even make profit because all such projects in Africa is kept alive by govt subsidies while paying over the odd for the money borrowed to build it  for years to come.

Go and talk about something else, business and money, you knew nothing about it.  Buhari is a big time farmer, he must have known the slight margin between making profit and loses. How as an employer, how difficult it is to pay your workers and still balance the book with your bank every month.
GEJ all his life just like you is a salary man. So every cash he sees, to him is profit/spend and that is why his first move as president was, taking delivery of a $51m jet for a country struggling to pay a minimum wage most people spend in a week to fuel their car.
People Like you/GEJ are like a child in a sweet shop when they first clamped eyeon public fund. Nigeria need leaders that will always count the pennies- whether its Buhari, I don't know but when it comes to money managment and prudence, Jonathan is not even in my bracket let alone running a country.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Eziachi: 12:47am On Apr 08, 2011
jmaine:

What the heck are you tryna prove friend . .  Because your in debt so you have to jettison a good project that would have generated much money to pay up the debt and increase the standard of living of the populace . . Guess the Trillions the US is owing will stop them from going into more debt to finance a major project that will improve the economy on the long run .

Running a profitable business and economy is a whole lot different like running a petty home . . Towing your line . .assuming your parents were owing a measurable sum of debt and they had to borrow just to send you to a good school knowing fully well that you will come good and produce the goods  . .

Would you prefer they abandon your dream of getting a quality education, improving yourself, earning good money that will pay off that debt and better the lots of your family or you prefer and will appreciate them if they tow the Buhari line and abandon your inspiring drive to succeed  while the entire family riles and sink in abject poverty, pain and regret  . .

Answer it honestly

Am I  missing something, your're in debt to your eyeballs because you got no money.
If you work around me, you will be fired instantly as money is not safe around you and you knew liitle about money. 
Did some of you really breastfed at all? Buhari like any prudent person or govt cancelled a plan to start a project that will gulp millions in dollar when they have no money and price of oil is at the bottom of the barrel.
He did not issue any decree that says that Lagos shall never ever have a Metro line. What stopceped this metro for the 25 year since he left office with successive govts, since he is this lucifer sitting upon a Metro project for Lagos?
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by recoome(m): 12:50am On Apr 08, 2011
Why don't u guys leave this old fool(muhari/busharia) alone, he has a lot 2 deal with, he probably has parkinson's disease or something far more worse
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by recoome(m): 12:50am On Apr 08, 2011
Why don't u guys leave this old fool(muhari/busharia) alone, he has a lot 2 deal with, he probably has parkinson's disease or something far more worse
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 12:53am On Apr 08, 2011
Eziachi:

Beaf even if I am sure about nothing, I  am sure you knew nothing about creation of wealth. When someone is broke it mean that person has no money.
Having a business plan doesn't mean that you have the money to implement your plan. 9 out of every 10 business plans are thrown into the basket bin at the banks everyday, if not everyone will be business magnets now.

There had been property developers who ran out of money half way and cannot get any bank help anymore and they have no option than to send everbody home, pack up or face bankrupsy. You don't know what guaranteed is there that the Metro will even make profit because all such projects in Africa is kept alive by govt subsidies while paying over the odd for the money borrowed to build it  for years to come.

Go and talk about something else, business and money, you knew nothing about it.  Buhari is a big time farmer, he must have known the slight margin between making profit and loses. How as an employer, how difficult it is to pay your workers and still balance the book with your bank every month.
GEJ all his life just like you is a salary man. So every cash he sees, to him is profit/spend and that is why his first move as president was, taking delivery of a $51m jet for a country struggling to pay a minimum wage most people spend in a week to fuel their car.
People Like you/GEJ are like a child in a sweet shop when they first clamped eyeon public fund. Nigeria need leaders that will always count the pennies- whether its Buhari, I don't know but when it comes to money managment and prudence, Jonathan is not even in my bracket let alone running a country.

Fail again! embarassed embarassed embarassed
The bolded is like someone saying that 3rd Mainland Bridge doesn't generate business opportunities and development. Laughable.

If you don't understand the basics of development, you will never grasp the importance of the metro and how many million in taxes it would indirectly generate every blessed day (even simply from easing traffic). That is aside from profits from ticket sales.
So, the rest of your post is way below par. . . You know the drill! cool
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Moves: 12:55am On Apr 08, 2011
Guys; the issue is being drifting to PDP excesses in the last 12yrs compared to Buhari cancelling the lagos metro project, That is just confusing issues;
a, The Argument is did Buhari. err in cancelling the project?
For me; the answer is yes he did,
b, Is his reason tenable?
Nope- Absolutely No; the sane thing who have been to just apologise for erring in the past;cos I believe he never envisaged a time like this when the populace would query his action as C in C.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Eziachi: 1:00am On Apr 08, 2011
This is the myopic kind of arguement you get from a nation where anyone hardly pay anything called tax. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 1:02am On Apr 08, 2011
MODIFIED  . . .
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Nobody: 1:08am On Apr 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I am sorry but that is rubbish . . . how do you conclude that someone erred when

a) You don't the details of what happened during the years we speak of

b) You still have no detail on what actually transpired??

How can rationally state Buhari erred? Do you even understand the implications of what that even means here?? I know we like the 180 of things when we hone already have our minds made up, but the fact here is, this is not just about Buhari, but also about the decision making abilities of one of the best Governor's in the history of Nigeria, yes, JAKANDE!!

Why do you always love to play the ostrich? I sometimes wonder how you think!!
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Princek12(m): 1:09am On Apr 08, 2011
I don't understand how anyone can support this illiterate Sharia dictator who lacks the intellect to lead Nigeria to her rightful place.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by jmaine: 1:09am On Apr 08, 2011
Eziachi:

Am I  missing something, your're in debt to your eyeballs because you got no money.
If you work around me, you will be fired instantly as money is not safe around you and you knew liitle about money. 
Did some of you really breastfed at all? Buhari like any prudent person or govt cancelled a plan to start a project that will gulp millions in dollar when they have no money and price of oil is at the bottom of the barrel.
He did not issue any decree that says that Lagos shall never ever have a Metro line. What stopceped this metro for the 25 year since he left office with successive govts, since he is this lucifer sitting upon a Metro project for Lagos?

Not suprising that most [b]Saint Buhari [/b]fanatics throw insults at the slimmest opportunity . . . I told you to answer a simple question  in the same family planning method you felt the economy should be run but instead of answering you went haywire with abuses. Your nack for abuses just shows your intense lack of ability to reason out those junks called points you raised just to support your Buhari appaling pet project.

Learn to answer honest questions or you forever shut your trap . . what a jeck you seem to be . . . and hey who want's to work with a dumb boss as you . .someone who doesn't even know how to differentiate petty home management and management of a macroeconomic scale . . You should do better that throwing lose rant around.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 1:11am On Apr 08, 2011
kalokalo:

Why do you always love to play the ostrich? I sometimes wonder how you think!!

I am just as dense as your kind! grin
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 1:15am On Apr 08, 2011
Moves:

Guys; the issue is being drifting to PDP excesses in the last 12yrs compared to Buhari cancelling the lagos metro project,  That is just confusing issues;
a, The Argument is did Buhari. err in cancelling the project?
For me; the answer is yes he did,  
b, Is his reason tenable?
Nope- Absolutely No; the sane thing who have been to just apologise for erring in the past;cos I believe he never envisaged a time like this when the populace would query his action as C in C.

I am sorry but that is rubbish . . . how do you conclude that someone erred when

a) you only have hear-say to operate on

b) You do not have detail on what actually transpired??

How can rationally state Buhari erred with the little you have from unsubstantiated claims?

Do you even understand the implications of this here? This claim not only questions Buhari's abilities, but also makes one wonder of what we think we know of Jakande.
His decisions back when he was governor are being questioned as well.

I know we do not like to consider the 180 of things when we hone already have our minds made up, but the fact here is it is usually best to wait to get the facts rather than jump off on any and every rumor out there.  If this allegation turns out to be true, it is well to question Jakande's record as well. If this one project was really set up in such a way that it eventually cost tax payer's $70 million, when the Federal Government refused the guaranteed the loan, then one should wonder how much we lost to other canceled projects during his administration, FG co-signed or not.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Moves: 1:27am On Apr 08, 2011
@ Kobo, what more details is required; the two principal actors have spoken on the issue; buhari - said he cancelled it because he didnt want to guarantee a loan on the project because of our debt profile at the time; hence I believed he erred and that reason is not tenable IMO, are we to believe that the best gov lagos ever had was ignorant of the country's debt profile , or the financiers of the project. Have you read Jakande's interview posted above; Project cost= N700million; 10% advance and the rest is 90% is federal govt guaranteed loan. Jakande delivered on all his projects; 25 yrs down the line he still believes in the viability of the project. Furthermore are we to assume that with buhari as presido, we are not going to borrow if needed for infrastructure; being truthful the if the cost of the project was among the debt we later had to pay off; even Buhari would agree now that it wouldnt be such a bad thing; compared to paying off debt for funds embezzled.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by okunoba(m): 1:56am On Apr 08, 2011
@kobojunjie, I wonder if you have ever left the shores of Nigeria. Could you imagine London without the Tube, NYC without the subway or Paris without the Metro? Buhari by cancelling the Metro project, shows he lacks the acumen to lead Nigeria in the 21 century.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 1:59am On Apr 08, 2011
Moves:

@ Kobo,  what more details is required; the two principal actors have spoken on the issue; buhari - said he cancelled it because he didnt want to guarantee a loan on the project because of our debt profile at the time; hence I believed he erred and that reason is not tenable IMO, are we to believe that the best gov lagos ever had was ignorant of the country's debt profile , or the financiers of the project. Have you read Jakande's interview posted above; Project cost= N700million; 10% advance and the rest is 90% is federal govt guaranteed loan. Jakande delivered on all his projects; 25 yrs down the line he still believes in the viability of the project. Furthermore are we to assume that with buhari as presido,  we are not going to borrow if needed for infrastructure; being truthful the if the cost of the project was among the debt we later had to pay off; even Buhari would agree now that it wouldnt be such a bad thing; compared to paying off debt for funds embezzled.

a) Where do you have Jakande himself stating the project in question cost the taxpayers $70 million dollars??

b) Why would Jakande subject the people of Lagos to such a steep penalty for cancellation of project that cost less than $150 million dollars to start with?

c) Why did Jakande TIE both the people of Lagos, and the Federal Government  to such a project when
                 a) Lagos is not the only state in all of Nigeria ?
                 b) There was a global recession in 1982 and Lagos itself knew it had to cut costs in order to survive that?
                 c) This was not the only major contract that Lagos state itself had to cancel even in the same period?
                 d) even after his experience with Shagari?
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:02am On Apr 08, 2011
okunoba:

@kobojunjie, I wonder if you have ever left the shores of Nigeria. Could you imagine London without the Tube, NYC without the subway or Paris without the Metro? Buhari by cancelling the Metro project, shows he lacks the acumen to lead Nigeria in the 21 century.

Please do not think like one with a gap in his reasoning. I live in Chicago -- we want to fix a lot of things in our city-- we cannot. Why? Because we are debt and we need to fix our serious debt issues before we start borrowing to develop the place as we would like to have have planned for so long to.

The west is today recovering still from the global crises. . .  States are still reeling from the effects of the  recession. Many cities are cutting back big time. This is not a good time for mega projects.

We need to use our heads a bit more here. Think to the recession of the early 80's that lasted till long into the late 80's in most of Africa. I don't think any person who has a clear idea of what the country was like, back then, would even suggest that borrowing such an enormous amount, would have been good sense for us.

Think iceland, greece, ireland . . . yes, we were near collapse and the IMF was in fact begging us to take a loan to restructure during the period we are speaking of here. grin
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 2:07am On Apr 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

a) Where do you have Jakande himself stating the project in question cost the taxpayers $70 million dollars??

b) Why would Jakande subject the people of Lagos to such a steep penalty for cancellation of project that cost less than $150 million dollars to start with?

c) Why did Jakande TIE both the people of Lagos, and the Federal Government to such a project when
b) There was a global recession in 1982 and Lagos itself knew it had to cut costs in order to survive that?
c) This was not the only major contract that Lagos state itself had to cancel even in the same period?

Was 3rd Mainland Bridge built during your so called recession or not? Perhaps, the builder (IBB) has a higher IQ than Buhari.
As usual, you are full of empty winds.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:12am On Apr 08, 2011
Moves:

@ Kobo,  what more details is required; the two principal actors have spoken on the issue; buhari - said he cancelled it because he didnt want to guarantee a loan on the project because of our debt profile at the time; hence I believed he erred and that reason is not tenable IMO, are we to believe that the best gov lagos ever had was ignorant of the country's debt profile , or the financiers of the project. Have you read Jakande's interview posted above; Project cost= N700million; 10% advance and the rest is 90% is federal govt guaranteed loan. Jakande delivered on all his projects; 25 yrs down the line he still believes in the viability of the project. Furthermore are we to assume that with buhari as presido,  we are not going to borrow if needed for infrastructure; being truthful the if the cost of the project was among the debt we later had to pay off; even Buhari would agree now that it wouldnt be such a bad thing; compared to paying off debt for funds embezzled.

c) Why did Jakande TIE both the people of Lagos, and the Federal Government  to such a project when

Thats much better!! smiley
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Princek12(m): 2:42am On Apr 08, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please do not think like one with a gap in his reasoning. I live in Chicago -- we want to fix a lot of things in our city-- we cannot. Why? Because we are debt and we need to fix our serious debt issues before we start borrowing to develop the place as we would like to have have planned for so long to.

The west is today recovering still from the global crises. . .  States are still reeling from the effects of the  recession. Many cities are cutting back big time. This is not a good time for mega projects.

We need to use our heads a bit more here. Think to the recession of the early 80's that lasted till long into the late 80's in most of Africa. I don't think any person who has a clear idea of what the country was like, back then, would even suggest that borrowing such an enormous amount, would have been good sense for us.

Think iceland, greece, ireland  . . . yes, we were near collapse and the IMF was in fact begging us to take a loan to restructure during the period we are speaking of here. grin

The presence of a recession is no excuse to stop all projects; you may prioritize and stop the less important ones. When the benefits of a project substantially outweigh the burdens associated with the project, i.e., a mega railway in Lagos, then it shows prudence when a leader effectuates said project, even when the economy is in a recession. The benefits that the proposed railway would have conferred on Lagos, a densely populated city and the commercial nerve-center of Nigeria, would have outweighed any risks. Furthermore, the project, if managed properly, would have most likely enough generated sufficient revenue to pay off the debt.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:48am On Apr 08, 2011
Princek12:

The presence of a recession is no excuse to stop all projects; you may prioritize and stop the less important ones.

First and foremost, there is absolutely no data to support any claim that States/FG stopped ALL projects in Nigeria back in 1982-85 periods. And even out in Chicago, we did not Stop all projects -- we simply held back on most of the projects that would require us borrowing more than we can right now.  Get the difference?

Princek12:

When the benefits of a project substantially outweigh the burdens associated with the project, i.e., a mega railway in Lagos, then it shows prudence when a leader effectuates said project, even when the economy is in a recession. The benefits that the proposed railway would have given to Lagos, a densely populated city and the commercial nerve of Nigeria, would have outweighed any risks. Furthermore, the project, if managed properly, would have most likely enough generated sufficient revenue to pay off the debt.
I am sorry, it is so easy to make such claims when you are yourself not directly affected . . .  ROFLMAO!!! Tell that to the taxpayers in chicago today who already pay some of the highest taxes in the country, and are sick and tired of paying interest on loans. School funding is being cut to save money for other projects, we have debated the issue of borrowing more but we simply cannot to dig the whole deeper as we need to get out act right, now and not after borrowing for yet another project that will supposedly get us out of this hole. How do you think we got here in the first place?   undecided undecided grin cheesy grin cheesy  Tell that to the taxpayers in places like Iceland, Greece, Ireland etc

Now ofcourse, 10/20/30 years from now, some dingbat is going to wake up, and pretend we the situation we are in today matters for not -- and maybe start accusing the mayor, and maybe the people of chicago, of making the wrong decision. The truth is, for now, this decision is the best for us, and as a tax payer, I am happy, the state did not choose to increase my tax burden, all so that in some future, we will enjoy rail. What about the cost of such a burden on our now?

Hiss!! cheesy grin grin cheesy grin

Any who, I still think it is best to wait until the details of this is revealed before we jump to sully the reputation of the one man who I know for a fact did a whole lot for Lagos state.
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Beaf: 3:26am On Apr 08, 2011
[size=14pt]Buhari criticised for comments on Lagos Metroline project[/size]
Olukorede Yishau,Sanni Ologun, Abuja and Sunday Ogudugba08/04/2011 01:44:00

The presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, yesterday came under attack for defending the stoppage of the Metroline Project.

At a Town Hall meeting in City Hall, Lagos Island, Gen Buhari described the allegation that he deliberately cancelled the project as "mischievous."

He said the project was cancelled because with the regime’s large debt profile, it made no sense to incur more debts.

The initiator of the project, former Lagos State Governor Alhaji Lateef Jakande, the President Goodluck Jonathan Campaign Organisation, a coalition of Lagos State Youth Organisations and the Southwest Think Tank said Buhari’s explanations were not tenable.

Jakande yesterday said Gen. Buhari has no justification for cancelling the metro line project initiated by his administration in Lagos.

The metro rail line was introduced by the Jakande administration to facilitate transportation within Lagos and its surroundings but it was terminated when Buhari’s military regime took over in December,1983.

Jakande, who spoke with The Nation on phone, described the cancellation as an ‘irresponsible action". He insisted that the metro line project is the answer to transportation problem in Lagos.

"Today, metro line still remains the answer to transportation hurdles in Lagos because of its objectives and purposes. It is a relevant strategy to improve the problems of transportation in Lagos.

"By now transportation in Lagos would have been much better if it had been allowed to stay. We understood the predicament of ordinary citizens in Lagos and we felt we needed a change from the usual way of doing things," he said.

Jonathan, in a statement by the Media and Publicity Committee of the PDP Presidential Campaign Council, said that singular act of Buhari "compounded the traffic problems of Lagos" today.

The statement reads: "After almost 30 years of silence, General Muhammadu Buhari has finally found his voice and provided a specious political excuse for his disastrous cancellation of the Lagos metro line project.

"While speaking to his political associates in Lagos, General Buhari explained that the project was cancelled because his government did not want to take more loans nor devalue the naira.

"It is interesting that General Buhari has found his voice now when the Presidential election is days away after showing contempt and disdain for the people of Lagos and indeed Nigerians by refusing to provide any explanation for the numerous acts of wickedness and high-handedness of the military dictatorship he led.

"Firstly, the project which was initiated by the administration of Alhaji Lateef Jakande, was going on smoothly and on schedule before the coup-d’état by General Buhari.

"The project would no doubt have been completed on time if not for General Buhari’s coup and the transportation nightmare Lagosians face today would not have existed.

"The visionary Jakande administration had concluded all the plans to finance the project, putting everything in place for its successful execution.

"The government had secured a $450 million loan at six percent fixed interest rate for 25 years. As at the time the project was cancelled the government had paid parts of the loan and therefore had no worry about financing the project.

"The cancellation of the Lagos metro line project by Buhari was shortsighted and immoral. The attempt at revisionism by the General and his handlers is laughable.

"The people of Lagos and Nigerians in general will not be fooled by cheap political moves to win votes."

The Southwest Think Tank on Democratic Governance also condemned Buhari over his statement on the metroline project.

The coalition of Lagos youth groups said: "Many Nigerians today would still recall that Buhari deliberately killed the Metroline project, initiated by the Alhaji Lateef Jakande administration in Lagos State despite sizeable amount of resources being committed to the project.

‘’It didn’t matter to General Buhari that Lagos was and still the commercial nerve centre of Nigeria."

In a statement by its Coordinator, Babalola Medayedopin, the coalition, comprising 29 youth groups, said Buhari’s explanation was not tenable.

He said it was a deliberate attempt to destroy a laudable project without a tangible reason.

The statement reads: "The fiat with which Buhari cancelled such a project with far-reaching and positive impact on the people shows his mindset as a leader.

‘’It was the same manner that he handled the Metroline that he also ignored the Lagos–Ibadan Expressway when he was heading PTF despite the social, economic and strategic importance of this major national dual-carriage way.

‘’We wonder how he will pilot the affairs of this nation equitably if he is elected as president. The Metroline Project would have made the chaotic traffic situation that Lagosians are suffering today a thing of the past. Rather than apologise, he still maintains a hardliine posture."

The group urged the electorate to scruitinise the actions of candidates to public office before casting their votes.

http://thenationonlineng.net/web3/news/33122.html
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Mariory(m): 3:57am On Apr 08, 2011
Like I said, we will never forget history as it is the lessons from our past that help make us to have a better future. smiley
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by aletheia(m): 4:13am On Apr 08, 2011
“The grounds on which Buhari is being promoted as the alternative choice are not only shaky, but pitifully naive. History matters, records are not kept simply to assist the weakness of memory, but to operate as guides to the future.” - Wole Soyinka
Re: Why I Cancelled Jakande's Lagos Metroline, By Buhari by Emmy3(m): 4:27am On Apr 08, 2011
aletheia:

“The grounds on which Buhari is being promoted as the alternative choice are not only shaky, but pitifully naive. History matters, records are not kept simply to assist the weakness of memory, but to operate as guides to the future.” - Wole Soyinka

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

We All Agree Our Nation Should Remain One – Osinbajo / Youths Beat Chika Ossai, Delta Commissioner Over Allegation Of Land Grabbing / Kabir Akingbolu: Lawyer Sues Buhari Over Failure To Tackle Fuel Shortage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.