Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,429 members, 7,839,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 25 May 2024 at 10:25 AM

African Migrants Abandon The American Dream - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / African Migrants Abandon The American Dream (14636 Views)

The Pathetic Condition Of Nigerian & Black African Migrants Stranded In Morocco / Outrageous Students Cars At The American University Of Dubai. / Winning The US Lottery & Losing Faith In American Dream (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by cap28: 2:59pm On Apr 10, 2011
AkoEja:

Bavarian is mostly right, but he has exagerated a lot.[/[/b]color] I have lived in the UK for 16 years, so I know what I am talking about. UK is not as dangerous as he has put it, but some parts are.

[color=#550000][b]If you are not the best in your chosen field and your area of expertice is not in demand, you will almost never get a proper job in the UK.

The average white person in the UK suffers from a form of colonial mentality which makes them want to seem to be good to Africans, though behind, they hate you. They can pretend to be nice a lot, though they may make racist comments or commit racist acts without realising it.
Subconsciuosly, they set a much higher standard when assesing a non-white person, so you have to be better than their best to get an average mark.

At University or college for example, an assignment that should get an A * might manage a D or C, so if you are normally worth a B or C, you will fail, unless you are lucky to meet a good person marking your assignment.

But legally, the law is much stronger against racism than most European countries, though the burden of proof will always be a problem for victims.

english people DO NOT want to be good to africans at all - they have nothing but contempt for africans, ive worked with these people for years and years and i can tell you that if they had one wish it would be for all of us to be put on a boat and shipped back to africa. I have never ever come across any english person that treats africans as their equals, when it comes to jobs, they will tolerate you working with them if you are doign something menial like a cleaner, cook but you will get a lot of hassle, backbiting, undermining and hate from them if you are on an equivalent level, god help you if you have to supervise or manage any of them - they will make your life very miserable. We like deceiving ourselves into beleiving that they dont realise just how racist they are - beleive me they know exactly what they are doing, go onto their chat forums and find out what they think of black people. Or go to their football matches and here the vile abuse they mete out to black footballers that even represent their own teams. Ill give them one thing though, they've perfected falseness into a fine art, thats why many africans dont even realise it when they're being treated badly by them.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 3:12pm On Apr 10, 2011
Thirst4Lif:

smiley cheesy grin Amen!
cheesy amin jesu, as they say in lagos
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by abbey621(m): 3:12pm On Apr 10, 2011
I don't know if the poster was joking when reporting but i can guaranty u, the united states is still by far the best place to make money or better your future. Due to recession, lazy and 419 nigerians can't get a job or make a living but those that are hard workers and have their papers, will find a job and unlimited opportunity to increase their knowlege. Example 1: The government basically pays for education, if you can get a degree here and a little work experience, you will become highly valued if u decide to return to nigeria. Example 2: Even if you work for the minimum wage and you don't go around driving fancy cars or buying american houses leaving u with mortgages then you are still better off than the average banker in nigeria.  Example 3: Would u ever trade the constant power supply, clean natural water and the ease of transportation.  Even though we like to dream of a better nigeria, the truth is we are not there yet and contrary to reports, africans are abandoning the american dream, meaning they are not buying huge houses and are now investing more at home but they are not leaving the comfort of the united states just yet!  As a graduate of one of the worst university in nigeria, i found it difficult to use my degree to work in the U.S. but when i saw the unlimited number of opportunities to better myself through education, i immediately jumped on it and now i have an american degree, instead of making the minimum wage, i now make 3 times the amount and life has never been better.

1 Like

Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 3:18pm On Apr 10, 2011
cap28:

well there isnt much investment up north, thatcher closed down the coal mines in the 80s which was a major employer of white workign class people and the big manufacturers who were also big employers of working class whites outsourced most of their jobs to the far east, i think thats the reason white people up north live like that, down in the south east of england however where there are more jobs, better housing and more investment blacks still find themselves struggling, mainly because blacks face discrimination in the employment market.  

yes you can live wherever youwant if you can afford it, but thats the problem, many blacks face discrimination in the job market and therefore cant live wherever they want for the simple reason that they dont earn enough.

i dont know much about the IT market, but i suspect that after the dot.com bubble burst many of these jobs disappered.  

very strong points bruv. didnt know black people had it that rough in england sha.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 3:25pm On Apr 10, 2011
abbey621:

I don't know if the poster was joking when reporting but i can guaranty u, the united states is still by far the best place to make money or better your future. Due to recession, lazy and 419 nigerians can't get a job or make a living but those that are hard workers and have their papers, will find a job and unlimited opportunity to increase their knowlege. Example 1: The government basically pays for education, if you can get a degree here and a little work experience, you will become highly valued if u decide to return to nigeria. Example 2: Even if you work for the minimum wage and you don't go around driving fancy cars or buying american houses leaving u with mortgages then you are still better off than the average banker in nigeria.  Example 3: Would u ever trade the constant power supply, clean natural water and the ease of transportation.  Even though we like to dream of a better nigeria, the truth is we are not there yet and contrary to reports, africans are abandoning the american dream, meaning they are not buying huge houses and are now investing more at home but they are not leaving the comfort of the united states just yet!  As a graduate of one of the worst university in nigeria, i found it difficult to use my degree to work in the U.S. but when i saw the unlimited number of opportunities to better myself through education, i immediately jumped on it and now i have an american degree, instead of making the minimum wage, i now make 3 times the amount and life has never been better.
nobody is knocking america. but you cant pretend that america is what it was. the place is a half-decent place to EXIST in but a terrible place to LIVE in.
the uk is a half-decent place to LIVE in and a half-decent place to EXIST in
nigeria is a terrible place to EXIST in but a brilliantly wonderful place to LIVE in.

special emphasis on LIVE and EXIST.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by biolabee(m): 4:03pm On Apr 10, 2011
buzugee

interesting points raised so far but pls can you help me with more info on LIVE and EXIST

LIVE as in earning a living and EXIST as in the racism?
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by abbey621(m): 4:13pm On Apr 10, 2011
@buzugee- One man's food is another man's poison, the united states has been a great place to live in for me and my family and every one of my friends here would always appreciate the opportunity that another country gave us, the opportunity that our own motherland couldn't establish. I believe it's tougher to live in england than the U.S, because of the tax and strict laws, united states allows you to be free to an extent and they just love hard working people who contribute positively to the economy. Most people that complain are those who are lazy or scammers, no matter where you live, if u can't work hard then you can't survive!
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 4:22pm On Apr 10, 2011
biolabee:

buzugee

interesting points raised so far but pls can you help me with more info on LIVE and EXIST

LIVE as in earning a living and EXIST as in the racism?
no problemos mi amigos

well its like this, existing is what your physical body does. what does your physical body need ? food, light, water, clothing, decent standards of living. your physical body needs a place to exist. certain places are hard to exist in than others. nigeria is one of those places that is hard to exist in, especially if you are poor.

now the main and controlling component of your 'being' is your soul. your soul does the living. your soul wants to breathe and be nourished and not feel limited, constrained, shackled down, beatdown, etc etc. your soul craves the company of other souls for joy. this is why your soul can never be happy in places like the uk and usa and germany. your soul ceases to live when you exist in places like that because those kinds of economic and social systems are designed to destroy your soul and recombine it into a robotic form. your soul also is beatdown on the racial level too. that feeling that you are percieved as less than human is bad for the soul. it destroys it. these western societies destroy souls. thats why a lot of black people go crazy in those societies. these societies are fiercely individualistic, your next door neighbor does not want to know you, heck you can live in the same building and not know one single person in there for over 10 years. its a host of factors in the west that colludes to make your soul stop living.

so there you have it. the body exists but the soul lives.
ever notice how the happiest nigerians live in nigeria while the saddest nigerians live abroad ? you would think with all the creature comfort they have abroad they will be happier right ? well their soul has been crushed. it has stopped living.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 4:36pm On Apr 10, 2011
abbey621:

@buzugee- One man's food is another man's poison, the united states has been a great place to live in for me and my family and every one of my friends here would always appreciate the opportunity that another country gave us, the opportunity that our own motherland couldn't establish. I believe it's tougher to live in england than the U.S, because of the tax and strict laws, united states allows you to be free to an extent and they just love hard working people who contribute positively to the economy. Most people that complain are those who are lazy or scammers, no matter where you live, if u can't work hard then you can't survive!
man shall not live by bread alone. like i said previously, its an OK place to exist in. but thats about it. thats the only props it gets from me.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by cap28: 4:46pm On Apr 10, 2011
buzugee:

no problemos mi amigos

well its like this, existing is what your physical body does. what does your physical body need ? food, light, water, clothing, decent standards of living. your physical body needs a place to exist. certain places are hard to exist in than others. nigeria is one of those places that is hard to exist in, especially if you are poor.

now the main and controlling component of your 'being' is your soul. your soul does the living. your soul wants to breathe and be nourished and not feel limited, constrained, shackled down, beatdown, etc etc. your soul craves the company of other souls for joy. this is why your soul can never be happy in places like the uk and usa and germany. your soul ceases to live when you exist in places like that because those kinds of economic and social systems are designed to destroy your soul and recombine it into a robotic form. your soul also is beatdown on the racial level too. that feeling that you are percieved as less than human is bad for the soul. it destroys it. these western societies destroy souls. thats why a lot of black people go crazy in those societies. these societies are fiercely individualistic, your next door neighbor does not want to know you, heck you can live in the same building and not know one single person in there for over 10 years. its a host of factors in the west that colludes to make your soul stop living.

ever notice how the happiest nigerians live in nigeria while the saddest nigerians live abroad ? you would think with all the creature comfort they have abroad they will be happier right ? well their soul has been crushed. it has stopped living.

very good points you made up there bro, the western world is not conducive for the spiritual and psychological well being of black people, this fact has even been borne out by empirical evidence from a number of psychiatrists, a study was undertaken in which blacks living in america and europe were found to be more prone to psychiatric illnessees than blacks livign in nigeria or any other nation with a predominantly black population.  its one thing beign able to have the basic neccesities of life but of what use is that if you are desperately miserable when you get them?
This is why the psychiatric hospitals in this country have a very large black male demographic, its the  years and years of undermining, the covert racism and the negative subliminal racist messages used by the media that eventually cause many blacks to suffer mental breakdowns.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 4:52pm On Apr 10, 2011
cap28:

very good points you made up there bro, the western world is not conducive for the spiritual and psychological well being of black people, this fact has even been borne out by empirical evidence from a number of psychiatrists, a study was undertaken in which blacks living in america and europe were found to be more prone to psychiatric illnessees than blacks livign in nigeria or any other nation with a predominantly black population.  its one thing beign able to have the basic neccesities of life but of what use is that if you are desperately miserable when you get them?
This is why the psychiatric hospitals in this country have a very large black male demographic, its the  years and years of undermining, the covert racism and the negative subliminal racist messages used by the media that eventually cause many blacks to suffer mental breakdowns. 
YUP you got it. you know how you can counter some of that ? throw away your TV. me ? i dont own a TV set. i dont watch it either. i dont need someone subliminally undermining my soul.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by biolabee(m): 5:05pm On Apr 10, 2011
thanks a bit philosophical and deep but nice
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by abbey621(m): 6:31pm On Apr 10, 2011
I really don't know where you got your fact 4rm but let me make it more simple 4 u. The gateway to the soul is the body. If your body is suffering, it also affectsyour soul. If you can direct your facts and research to the millions dying to get out of 9ja everyday or the millions suffering from epileptic power supply, unemployment, bad roads and much more, and see what comes out of that. The truth is every one knows for the short term there's nothing like the benefits of living in the united states or europe, even though the long term result is to come back home having achieve beyond your wildest dreams, we must not fail to realize that one cannot operate without the other without feeling unsatisfied. you talk abt soul and spiritual connection, do you think africa is the holiest of all nation?? In fact it's the darkness in the people in africa that still enslaves them till today. Witchcrafts and jealousy, armed robbery and political killings, need I  say more??

The above statement is complete FALLACY and does not make any sense! What did you base this statement upon? You obviously haven't observe beyond your immediate surroundings!
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 6:58pm On Apr 10, 2011
abbey621:

I really don't know where you got your fact 4rm but let me make it more simple 4 u. The gateway to the soul is the body. If your body is suffering, it also affectsyour soul. If you can direct your facts and research to the millions dying to get out of 9ja everyday or the millions suffering from epileptic power supply, unemployment, bad roads and much more, and see what comes out of that. The truth is every one knows for the short term there's nothing like the benefits of living in the united states or europe, even though the long term result is to come back home having achieve beyond your wildest dreams, we must not fail to realize that one cannot operate without the other without feeling unsatisfied. you talk abt soul and spiritual connection, do you think africa is the holiest of all nation?? In fact it's the darkness in the people in africa that still enslaves them till today. Witchcrafts and jealousy, armed robbery and political killings, need I  say more??
The above statement is complete FALLACY and does not make any sense! What did you base this statement upon? You obviously haven't observe beyond your immediate surroundings!
and you obviously haven't observed your English teacher in high school
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by abbey621(m): 5:05am On Apr 11, 2011
and you obviously haven't observed your English teacher in high school

@buskugee- Trying to corrupt me with your epileptic grammar isn't working so well. The correct statement above should be,"and you obviously hadn't observed your English teacher in high school". Just to show you no one is above a grammatical blunder, not even you sir, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by buzugee(m): 8:40am On Apr 11, 2011
abbey621:

@buskugee- Trying to corrupt me with your epileptic grammar isn't working so well. The correct statement above should be,"and you obviously hadn't observed your English teacher in high school". Just to show you no one is above a grammatical blunder, not even you sir, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

the nigerian school system sure is messed up if you think you can correct proper english with improper english grin grin
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by lovejo(m): 8:58am On Apr 11, 2011
I'm watching as Umpire, maybe someone need to judge who is right or wrong, cos i don't want to be bias.
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by abbey621(m): 1:43pm On Apr 11, 2011
The only thing messed up is your head. "Haven't" equals present tense while "Hadn't" equals past tense and since we are qualifying the verb observed which is past tense also then "Hadn't" is the correct option. Don't blame the Nigerian school system for your shortcomings. Anyways back to the topic, I'm a black man living in the western world and I am absolutely thrilled with my life, so Mr. Buzugee speak only for yourself!
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by Munchener: 1:45pm On Apr 11, 2011
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream
« #174 on: Yesterday at 09:35:34 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read the recent posts on this thread and I'm just smiling. While I agree with Cap 28 and Buzugee that the System in Europe is designed against the Black Man, I still hold on to the view that any one can succeed in Europe regardless of the hostilities directed against him or her because of skin colour. The problem with Blacks in Europe and the UK is that they are not organized. I've not come across really ambitious black youths in Britain. Then there is the huge problem of Intra-Racism among Blacks. British Born Blacks usually think they're better than Blacks who were born in Africa and later migrated to Europe. I met a guy from Ghana recently who told me how he was humiliated by Black British ladies he dated. He told me he was shocked that women who had the same skin colour as him,  thought he was lower than them in the scheme of things. When my Ghanaian friend could not take it any longer, he started dating white women. He is now in a serious relationship with a white Australian lady. Obviously, Black British Blacks ( especially women ) have been brainwashed by Media to see themselves as nothing compared to white ladies.

The Blacks in Europe have to wake up and become organized like the Blacks in America. Developments starts when the Blacks in Britain start creating Media outlets of their own. No one can write your story better than yourself. In Britain, it is very hard to come Magazines and Newspapers that celebrate Black People. Black boys and Girls on the streets of London and other parts of Britain do not have Black Role Models to look up to. This is why many young male black teenagers are joining gangs so that they can have some relevance. Why is it hard for a black youngster to walk into a Tesco Store, walk to the Magazine Rack, and see Magazines with Black Stars on their cover? Most Magazines in Britain promote Blonde White Women and White Actors 98% of the time. In America, the Blacks have their own Magazines, Newspapers, Radio and TV Stations. African-Americans have their own voice. So the White Establishment cannot shout them down or misrepresent them all the time. I hope you guys get what I'm saying.

I'm a Media Professional by training though I have learnt a lot of things myself. Many Black people in Europe do not have deep entrepreneurial intentions. Black teenagers in London are not taught to be ambitious by the system. And I will put most of the blame on Black Community leaders themselves. Lets take a look at the Bangladeshi/Indian/Chinese/ Asian communities in Britain. This demographic is doing better than the Black Communities in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all combined together. The Indians and Bangladeshis have taken over Britain's Post Offices in the last 10 ten years.  You're most likely to be attended to by an Asian when you enter any Post Office in London or when you want to do some MoneyGram transfer home. Same thing obtains for Western Union Money Transfers in any Asian Shop. Take a look at the Restaurant Scene. How many solid Restaurants owned by Blacks do you come across in Britain? The Bangladeshis have hundreds of Well designed Restaurants in East London alone not to talk of the whole of Britain. So why is the Black Man lagging behind in Britain and Europe? I make bold to say the Black Man is the enemy of himself     .  No matter how racist the system in Europe is, there are a lot of tools available for Blacks to succeed with.

Why are Asians in Britain and Koreans in USA/Canada not eager to run back to Asia? They won't go back because they have established viable businesses in Britain and America and they're making a lot of money. The Asians in London have also started having their own Magazines and Newspapers circulating in their communities. I have seen these Magazines in some Asian Shops and Off Licence outfits in London. The Asians are ahead of Africans when it comes to development and Aspirations in Britain. Yet, my research has shown that Blacks in Europe and Britain have a higher chance of making it than Asians because they have a huge reservoir of Natural abilities and talents. The 2012 Olympics in London will have many Blacks representing Britain. There will be a sprinkling of Asians in the Team GB but Blacks or Mixed Race Athletes will be more in number. Marilyn Okoro, Christine Ohuruogu and Phillip Idowu are of Nigerian origin but they will represent Britain next year. They were all born in England. So what am I saying?  Why are these black celebrities not on the cover of Magazines in the UK and Europe most times? Black Entrepreneurs and publishers have to start Media outlets that will inspire Black Kids to read about Black Role Models they want to emulate. There are successful blacks in Britain that are not covered by the white oriented Media.

Africans can succeed in Europe and North America. I feel somehow when Black African men have to marry white women in Europe to get their papers. I want to see our African Brothers conquer Black British women or black women born in Europe on the bed to get their residence permits in greater numbers. I'm always happy to see Naija boys dating Black British or African-American women. They're our women. They are African in origin    .  It is the mentality of Africans in Europe that is topping them from reaching their potentials. The way I see it, Entrepreneurship is the key for Africans in the UK and Europe.  Moving back to Africa is not the solution. Make the money in Europe or America with your intellect.  Chase that Black British Girl or African American lady, get her pregnant and settle down with her. She is your blood and Kin. She is yours if you're bold enough   . Then share your dreams with her and build a business together.  Show the white establishment that you CAN. Cheers.

So now, our "british" friends can see that Germany is not worse afterall, and that racism is everywhere was just what I said. either Germany is in Holocaust or not, or Adolf Hitler is the leader now, I´m happy with my life here, and I´m proud of what I´ve done for myself closing my eyes to the "racism of the Germans" I know that here, I am a role model to black kids and my own children.  grin
Re: African Migrants Abandon The American Dream by zsynergies: 10:05pm On May 14, 2011
cap28:

buzugee:

no problemos mi amigos

Bros Buzugee,

Your theory on EXISTING and LIVING makes a whole of sense to me. I am replying because I want to able track this in the future. Nice one. Will surely share this with a lot of my friends still thinking of settling abroad.

@ Kushe and Cap28,

You guys comments make sense too. Nice one.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

My Experience On A Trip To Ghana!.... / Nigeria Is Sixth Most Dangerous Place To Live / Surviving Airlines Are Only Doing National Service Due To Govt Policies – Arik

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.