Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,042 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election (954 Views)

Peace Ibekwe, A Crime Bursting Female Commissioner Of Police Of Ebonyi(Pics) / Bursting The Myth In The Picture Scientifically / BBC's Report On Postponement Of Nigeria's Election- A Must Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 2:31am On Apr 11, 2011
Its time for Myth Bursting. Please let us know of any myths that you think have been busted from this election results and the voting pattern. I will list a few to start.

1. The election results shows Nigerians voted for persons not parties.
2. Buhari does not enjoy the support of the north like we were made to (almost) believe.
3. The north is no longer one voting block.
4. Bakare is not influential in the south west. He couldnt deliver much to CPC. Their results there were woeful
5. GEJ is not a stooge of PDP godfathers or OBJ. OBJ lost in his ward and his state. Bankole also lost. He left them on their own.
6. CPC has very little support in the south as a whole.
7. Bukola is more popular than his father in kwara. (nice one there)

please add more if you can.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by koruji(m): 2:52am On Apr 11, 2011
You are counting your chickens too fast. This last election was all about local political following. It does show that Buhari's CPC is really the "phanton CPC", but I think you will see different next week.

President GEJ should be prepared for a good fight since the North has good reason to give most of its votes to CPC. PDP is probably spreading the "dollar" far and wide in the North as we speak - a big reason for their sweep up there in the legislative elections, and it might just work again. I think the SE would do the same because they are looking to take over in 2015. The Southwest is likely to split it two ways between CPC and PDP (mostly for CPC), while the SS goes for GEJ.

Why am I not mentioning Ribadu and ACN? Indications are that ACN is already in undisclosed alliance with CPC.

BB may still go to Aso Rock afterall, but GEJ has a 50-50 chance of staying put.

Can't wait till next Saturday.

edicolove:

Its time for Myth Bursting. Please let us know of any myths that you think have been busted from this election results and the voting pattern. I will list a few to start.

1. The election results shows Nigerians voted for persons not parties.
2. Buhari does not enjoy the support of the north like we were made to (almost) believe.
4. Bakare is not influential in the south west. He couldnt deliver much to CPC. Their results there were woeful
5. GEJ is not a stooge of PDP godfathers or OBJ. OBJ lost in his ward and his state. Bankole also lost. He left them on their own.

Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:02am On Apr 11, 2011
You are counting your chickens too fast. This last election was all about local political following. It does show that Buhari's CPC is really the "phanton CPC", but I think you will see different next week.

President GEJ should be prepared for a good fight since the North has good reason to give most of its votes to CPC. PDP is probably spreading the "dollar" far and wide in the North as we speak - a big reason for their sweep up there in the legislative elections, and it might just work again. I think the SE would do the same because they are looking to take over in 2015. The Southwest is likely to split it two ways between CPC and PDP (mostly for CPC), while the SS goes for GEJ.

Why am I not mentioning Ribadu and ACN? Indications are that ACN is already in undisclosed alliance with CPC.

BB may still go to Aso Rock afterall, but GEJ has a 50-50 chance of staying put.

Can't wait till next Saturday.

Again, you analyze like a real nairalander with no clue. I Live in Lagos and many of the people that voted ACN on saturday will vote GEJ next weak. we did a count in my polling booth where i registered and almost everyone said they will vote fashola for gov and GEJ for president. most christians in Lagos will not vote a ticket with Bakare in it. He is like a plague to them. he insults their pastors. And combine that with Buhari, then you have a recipe for disaster. Did you not notice that ACN came close to loosing in some areas even after all the accolades giving to fashola? did that not suprise you?

And dont forget that the winner must have the mandatory 1/3 from 25 states or so. Buhari clearly cant have that now. And why would ACN form an alliance that will give CPC the presidency when they are doing far better than CPC. why not have it the other way around? You cleary are not thinking straight. CPC just went from major contenders to lame ducks in less than 48 hours.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by koruji(m): 3:18am On Apr 11, 2011
Did you read what I wrote at all?

The great heave to throw out PDP is likely to occur next week - especially in the North cool cool cool, but it only has a 50-50 chance of succeeding. Did you see that CPC swept Katsina votes? - this is which is likely to spread north-wide next week. I have given you a good reason why the SE might go with CPC - take it or leave it. Then it remains whether SW goes ACN/CPC/PDP.

Nigerian politics is getting sophisticated, as it should be. Like I said, can't wait till next Saturday!!!

edicolove:

Again, you analyze like a real nairalander with no clue. I Live in Lagos and many of the people that voted ACN on saturday will vote GEJ next weak.  we did a count in my polling booth where i registered and almost everyone said they will vote fashola for gov and GEJ for president. most christians in Lagos will not vote a ticket with Bakare in it. He is like a plague to them. he insults their pastors. And combine that with Buhari, then you have a recipe for disaster. Did you not notice that ACN came close to loosing in some areas even after all the accolades giving to fashola? did that not suprise you?

And dont forget  that the winner must have the mandatory 1/3 from 25 states or so. Buhari clearly cant have that now. And why would ACN form an  alliance that will give CPC the presidency when they are doing far better than CPC. why not have it the other way around? You cleary are not thinking straight. CPC just went from major contenders to lame ducks in less than 48 hours.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:29am On Apr 11, 2011
Have you not been following Naija at all. I am disappointed in you. the south east has already declared a long time ago that they are going with Jonathan. that was why APGA adopted GEJ. you are too far from naija. please come back home. the Ibo man can never trust a mallam to hand over power to them. moreover, they see GEJ as the closest thing to an Ibo man being in power. His middle name is Ebele. The south east is firmly in GEJ's pocket. The north central is also going the same way. did you not follow the alliance talks and meetings? I guess not. And you probably didnt hear what the sultan said and Shagari expanded about supporting the south south because the south south has always supported them? Please do read wide and not just sit in front of your PC reading propaganda from so called bb supporters. You will be disappointed if that is all you read because they will probably tell you that CPC will win Bayelsa too. lol
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by Kobojunkie: 3:34am On Apr 11, 2011
edicolove:

Have you not been following Naija at all. I am disappointed in you. the south east has already declared a long time ago that they are going with Jonathan. that was why APGA adopted GEJ. you are too far from naija. please come back home. the Ibo man can never trust a mallam to hand over power to them. moreover, they see GEJ as the closest thing to an Ibo man being in power. His middle name is Ebele. The south east is firmly in GEJ's pocket. The north central is also going the same way. did you not follow the alliance talks and meetings? I guess not. And you probably didnt hear what the sultan said and Shagari expanded about supporting the south south because the south south has always supported them? Please do read wide and not just sit in front of your PC reading propaganda from so called bb supporters. You will be disappointed if that is all you read because they will probably tell you that CPC will win Bayelsa too. lol

Now you are sounding more and more bigoted . .  what was your original ID please

a) APGA does not even have all of the east . . . it only had Anambra state before Saturday's election

b) APGA does not make decisions for all of the S.E

c) The decision to support one of the existing candidates was made because APGA itself did not have any presidential candidate for the election

Like the guy already tried over and over to inform you, the saturday election is still up for grabs . . as in there is a 50-50 chance for Jonathan but it could go either way.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:41am On Apr 11, 2011
Now you are sounding more and more bigoted . .  what was your original ID please

a) APGA does not even have all of the east . . . it only had Anambra state before Saturday's election

b) APGA does not make decisions for all of the S.E

c) The decision to support one of the existing candidates was made because APGA itself did not have any presidential candidate for the election

Like the guy already tried over and over to inform you, the saturday election is still up for grabs  . .  as in there is a 50-50 chance for Jonathan but it could go either way.

ha! the biggest duns/olodo of them all has finally showed up. you are sounding like Buhari. clushing at straws. just like your name suggests. how did you escape from your hole after all your propaganda of CPC wave. now turned CPC failure. reads this for a change:

"Once upon a time, a certain party came out preaching change and while we were about to celebrate, they went and brought someone who has spent over 35 years in and around government as their candidate. How is that a recipe for change? A man that should be at home playing with his great grand children. This country na wa o! Change ko change ni!"
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:48am On Apr 11, 2011
Well I am not surprised. even with all the child voters that were shown on AIT, the CPC still lost most of the north. Why would the north not be more than the south when 6 year olds can vote in the north and Buhari doesnt really mind, does he?
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by koruji(m): 3:51am On Apr 11, 2011
@edicolove
Let me tell you what GEJ has to do next week - hold on to the votes PDP got in the North during the legislative elections. If he can do that then we might have a run-off depending on whether the SW guessed right about who the North will go for next Saturday.

As for the North's vote, what happened in Katsina is a warning shot from the North - I am not too happy about it, but this is politics and the north has never played with its interests. Other regions need to learn that, so we can really begin to have real negotiations about this nation called Nigeria. The SW is taking that lesson to heart right now, and I hope they don't have a short memory about what is really good for the people of the SW.

Take it or leave it!!!

edicolove:

ha! the biggest duns/olodo of them all has finally showed up. you are sounding like Buhari. clushing at straws. just like your name suggests. how did you escape from your hole after all your propaganda of CPC wave. now turned CPC failure. reads this for a change:

"Once upon a time, a certain party came out preaching change and while we were about to celebrate, they went and brought someone who has spent over 35 years in and around government as their candidate. How is that a recipe for change? A man that should be at home playing with his great grand children. This country na wa o! Change ko change ni!"
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by Kobojunkie: 3:53am On Apr 11, 2011
edicolove:

See what comes out of the one labeling me the dunce?? Are you sure you are alright? You posted on APGA decision, and I corrected your assertions by providing you with the facts of the situation. But somehow, in some disconnected way, that makes me sound like Buhari??   undecided undecided undecided undecided

Again, I ask, what was your former ID because I sense you are using another ID to maybe cover up your past goofs.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:55am On Apr 11, 2011

Myth already busted. please can we move on, dont derail the thread!
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 3:59am On Apr 11, 2011
I dont use different IDs. I am not a bb supporter. Your APGA post does not deserved a reply. it is just ignorant stuff. shows you have no clue of Ibo leanings. the Ibo has already showed their inclinations. please check out the election results so far. thats your proof. You have to try and read other materials apart from Nairaland threads and The Nation newspapers.
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by koruji(m): 4:03am On Apr 11, 2011
GEJ would surely like to believe this, but how can he expect the SS to deliver blockly for him and the North to fall apart because he "thinks" so.

Let's evaluate the situation next week. I will happy if you turn out to be right - really.

edicolove:

Myth already busted. please can we move on, dont derail the thread!
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Apr 11, 2011
edicolove:

I dont use different IDs. I am not a bb supporter. Your APGA post does not deserved a reply. it is just ignorant stuff. shows you have no clue of Ibo leanings. the Ibo has already showed their inclinations. please check out the election results so far. thats your proof. You have to try and read other materials apart from Nairaland threads and The Nation newspapers.

Sure . . . it is OK for you to BEND the facts -- when corrected, it becomes ignorant Stuff, abi?? tee-hee-hee-hee-hee . . . .ROFLMAO!!! And this is the one who steps to label me the dunce?? grin cheesy grin cheesy grin
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by Nobody: 5:10am On Apr 11, 2011
edicolove:

1. The election results shows Nigerians voted for persons not parties. GBAM!

2. Buhari does not enjoy the support of the north like we were made to (almost) believe. CONTRADICTED YOUR FIRST POINT, IF NIGERIANS VOTED FOR INDIVIDUAL AND NOT PARTY, WHY MUST THEY THEN VOTE FOR BUHARI JUST BECAUSE HE'S CPC?

3. The north is no longer one voting block. WERE THEY BEFORE? THOUGHT THE NORTH HAD CPC, ANPP, PDP etc

4. Bakare is not influential in the south west. He couldnt deliver much to CPC. Their results there were woeful REFER TO NUMBER 2

5. GEJ is not a stooge of PDP godfathers or OBJ. OBJ lost in his ward and his state. Bankole also lost. He left them on their own. MAKES NO SENSE

Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by IG: 6:43am On Apr 11, 2011
I think the poster started by contradicting himself. After saying that people voted for individuals and not their parties, he went on to say that Buhari doesn't have support in the North. The truth is that next week's battle is going to be GEJ vs Buhari and not PDP vs CPC.
It's not yet time for celebrations judging by the fact that Namadi Sambo couldn't do much for the PDP in Kaduna and CPC's sweep of Katsina.
In Borno it's PDP for governor and CPC for president. In Yobe it's ANPP for governor and CPC for president. The one common sentiment in the North is "Nigeria Sai Buhari!"
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by Nobody: 6:54am On Apr 11, 2011
@IG, you are mouthed
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by edicolove: 9:09am On Apr 11, 2011
I think the poster started by contradicting himself. After saying that people voted for individuals and not their parties, he went on to say that Buhari doesn't have support in the North. The truth is that next week's battle is going to be GEJ vs Buhari and not PDP vs CPC.
It's not yet time for celebrations judging by the fact that Namadi Sambo couldn't do much for the PDP in Kaduna and CPC's sweep of Katsina.
In Borno it's PDP for governor and CPC for president. In Yobe it's ANPP for governor and CPC for president. The one common sentiment in the North is "Nigeria Sai Buhari!"

You are still clutching at straws. Last saturday's contest was GEJ vs Buhari and not PDP vs CPC. most PDP candidates have GEJ on their posters. you still dont get it. GEJ is loved across the country. Buhari has too many enemies in the north. Did you see how many votes he got from sokoto? the center of Islam in Nigeria? Most of you dont understand Naija's politics because you have stayed away too long. You just read other people's posts and think you know Naija. Borno state is half Christians. Do you think those christians will ever vote Buhari? Same goes for Bauchi and Niger, Gombe and Nasarawa. Do your research well. these areas used to vote in block but a lot have changed over the years. The north is no longer one like you used to know
Re: Bursting The Myths Of Nigeria's Election by IG: 5:48pm On Apr 11, 2011
edicolove:

You are still clutching at straws. Last saturday's contest was GEJ vs Buhari and not PDP vs CPC. most PDP candidates have GEJ on their posters. you still dont get it. GEJ is loved across the country. Buhari has too many enemies in the north. Did you see how many votes he got from sokoto? the center of Islam in Nigeria? Most of you dont understand Naija's politics because you have stayed away too long. You just read other people's posts and think you know Naija. Borno state is half Christians. Do you think those christians will ever vote Buhari? Same goes for Bauchi and Niger, Gombe and Nasarawa. Do your research well. these areas used to vote in block but a lot have changed over the years. The north is no longer one like you used to know

@edicolove, I was born and raised in Borno and I am right now in Maiduguri. Borno state has about 90% muslim population. But that has nothing to do with it cos even our christians here are Buhari supporters. The best time to put this debate to rest is monday morning when the presidential election results start taking shape. As for the NASS elections, the sentiment in Borno is to make sure the incumbent governor doesn't make it to the senate. In fact some of us were afraid that we may end up sharing the votes equally between PDP and CPC and end up giving the governors ANPP undue advantage. Luckily that didn't happen, PDP won the Borno central senatorial seat.

The Borno south senatorial seat was won by Hon. Mohammed Ali Ndume, the very popular house of reps member who was pushed out of ANPP by the governor. He joined PDP and won. Borno North where there is no conflict was retained by ANPP.

Next week will be a different game, it's going to be Buhari vs GEJ. If by monday, GEJ was proved to sweep the north without any form of rigging. I tell you, I'll take a cue from Bankole and accept defeat, but I doubt that will happen.

(1) (Reply)

Violence: Non-indigenes Threaten Court Action Against Buhari, Shekarau / African Origins Of Slaves In The 19th Century / If You Are Female And You Live In Abuja, Watch Out For These AEPB Terrorists!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.