Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,948 members, 7,814,213 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:07 AM

Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese (9013 Views)

STUDY: 50% Of South Africans Are Obese - Here's Why! (PICS) / Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine:Margaret Keenan Is 1st In world To Get It / Biography Of Dr Onyema Ogbuagu: Pfizer COVID-19 Vaccine Researcher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Nobody: 5:39am On Mar 02, 2021
[b]Scientists in Italy claims their research shows that obese people - anyone with a BMI over 30 - may need bigger doses, or another top-up jab, to protect them against Covid-19
[/b]
Scientists have warned that the coronavirus vaccine manufactured by Pfizer may be less effective in people who are obese.

Researchers in Italy have said obese people may need bigger doses, or another top-up jab, to protect them against the virus.

They claim this is because compared to healthy people severely overweight healthcare workers generated only half the antibodies to fend off Covid-19 after receiving two doses of the Pfizer jab.

Antibodies are virus-fighting proteins that can stop the coronavirus infection. They are a major part of the immune system but there are other parts too.

This is a double blow to severely overweight people as they are already considered to be more at risk of becoming critically ill or dying if they contract the virus.

Scientists say this could be down to obese people being more likely to have health conditions such as diabetes and high blood pressure which makes them more vulnerable.

Obesity is defined as having a BMI above 30.

Experts said it was also well known that it hampers the effectiveness of jabs as previous research has suggested the flu vaccine could be half as effective in severely overweight people.

But the study by Italian scientists is believed to be the first time the same link has been found for the coronavirus vaccine.

It has been published as a pre-print on medRxiv, and its methodology and findings have yet to be peer-reviewed by fellow scientists.

According to experts, carrying extra weight can lead to the immune system being constantly inflamed which impairs its functions.

In healthy people it only triggers inflammation when the body is fighting an infection.

An estimated third of adults in England and nearly 40 per cent in the US are classed as obese.

A total of 248 participants were given two doses of the Pfizer vaccine at Istituti Fisioterapici Ospitalieri in Rome before scientists analysed their blood for levels of antibodies seven days after they had their second dose.

On average those who were a normal weight had a high concentration (325.cool while those who were obese had half this level (167.1).

But the study only included 26 obese people - this is too small to make solid conclusions.

More test are needed as there was no significant difference in results between those who were obese and normal weight.

The study also found no significant difference between the different groups.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/pfizers-coronavirus-vaccine-not-work-23588742

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by complexBoss12: 5:43am On Mar 02, 2021
Nawa o
wetin fat people no go see for auntie coro hand...

23 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by butterfly777(m): 5:50am On Mar 02, 2021
Me, I no dey take any covid vaccine.

10 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by dawnomike(m): 5:55am On Mar 02, 2021
Interesting... Good news for the skinny grin

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by 1000angstroms(m): 6:13am On Mar 02, 2021
I just registered for the vaccine
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Virus99: 6:13am On Mar 02, 2021
Chaiiiii and I have been telling Iya Femi to hit the gym o cry

5 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by brightovio007(m): 6:14am On Mar 02, 2021
Science is discovery

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Ghostmode2two(m): 6:15am On Mar 02, 2021
Why the discrimination here? I love fat people especially fat girls

2 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Heloct(f): 6:16am On Mar 02, 2021
Vaccine wey dey body shame sad

42 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Admin9: 6:17am On Mar 02, 2021
wahala for Obediah

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Admin9: 6:17am On Mar 02, 2021
Ghostmode2two:
Why the discrimination here? I love fat people especially fat girls

it's sex you love

21 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Imstrong2(m): 6:17am On Mar 02, 2021
In other words it works with body immunity and that of those obese is compromised angry
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by OfficialGaGa(m): 6:19am On Mar 02, 2021
Wahala for who FAT oh.... make pfizer just say Dem nor wan vaccinate half of America's population... cuz those people FAT sote.... if world war 3 break out for US most of nor go bother to even run sef... lol

Prophet GaGa

4 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by recievesense: 6:21am On Mar 02, 2021
shocked
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by wman(m): 6:22am On Mar 02, 2021
Some dense people will ignore this warning and blabbering about fatphobia.

2 Likes

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by slimjosh231(m): 6:22am On Mar 02, 2021
Na them sabi.
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by pickatyouu: 6:23am On Mar 02, 2021
Wahala for fat people niyen.

Check my signature if you have a car and interested in installing a tracking device. It might interest you
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by 825jobs: 6:25am On Mar 02, 2021
I believe higher dosage will fix the issue?

But I am more concerned about how this new research affects the Johnson and Johnson vaccine. That one is already marketed as single dose.
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by zeusdgrt(m): 6:26am On Mar 02, 2021
Hmmmmmm,we will protest we will not take it we shall not take it infact we all nor go take the vaccine if this is not corrected! grin

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by ShoeShineGuy: 6:27am On Mar 02, 2021
Double wahala for deadi bodi!

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by whela(m): 6:29am On Mar 02, 2021
Wahala for peppersoup Eater.

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by DoctorDree(m): 6:29am On Mar 02, 2021
This one serious ooo
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by pretydiva(f): 6:31am On Mar 02, 2021
Mctewwww
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by EdoAirline: 6:32am On Mar 02, 2021
Nonsense and Manna big big preek and Buhari....

I don tire for this MAD corn tree
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by oluwasegun007(m): 6:34am On Mar 02, 2021
So I must hit the gym to use it....

This is discriminatory, I love them fat peeps

Especially them girls with fat azz.. . grin

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Skyfornia(m): 6:41am On Mar 02, 2021
Wahala for all the fat people...gym houses will cash out this period. shocked
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:42am On Mar 02, 2021
Na fat dem fat dem no kill person ooooo.....

Gbogbo Big guys and Babes, no be so ?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Nobody: 6:43am On Mar 02, 2021
Obesity isn't good. The battle to address it is tough, and they should be encouraged. But many of them are stubborn, so if they get one who can be hard on them to caution them with sugar, fat and junks intake...it can be rewarding. Also, few of them need to visit the hospital for thorough check if there is a medical condition which needs to be addressed so as not just to punish such with strict diets and exercise while there is a root cause.

1 Like

Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by Seniorwriter(m): 6:51am On Mar 02, 2021
This clearly shows incompetence..why wasn't all factors of anatomy considered whilst researching and getting the vaccine ready...and to think that corona virus attacks the respiratory/breathing process which simply means fat or plump people are more prone cos normally their nature makes heavy breathing occurrence....anyways I hope it's not a ploy on the part of Pfizer to market more types of this vaccine for profits purpose.
Proactivity Leads To Productivity!!!
@SeniorWriter
Re: Pfizer's COVID-19 Vaccine May Not Work Well If You Are Obese by lilvicky68(m): 6:52am On Mar 02, 2021
Vaccine wey dey discriminate na vaccine?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Darbur herbal Toothpaste's Dengerous Side Effect! / How Do I Treat These At The Back Of My Head / Jamaican Black Castor Oil For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.