Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,913 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:16 PM

Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere (9661 Views)

Over 20 States Likely To Pay Minimum Wage (names) / I Will Pay Above 30,000 Minimum Wage If Elected-sanwo-olu / Minimum Wage: If ₦30,000 Is Approved (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by bolaayenimo: 7:14am On Mar 12, 2021
Temidayo Akinsuyi, Lagos

Bismarck Rewane, chairman of the Presidential Techni­cal Advisory Committee on the Implementation of the National Minimum Wage (PTAC), on Thursday, said both the Federal Government and state governments had no excuses not to pay the N30,000 minimum wage as they had the capacity to conveniently do so if they were willing.

Rewane, an economic and financial expert, disclosed this while featuring as a guest on Channels Television pro­gramme ‘Politics Today’ mon­itored by Daily Independent.

Nigerian workers, under the umbrella of the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and Trade Union Congress (TUC), had staged a nationwide pro­test, kicking against the plan by both the Federal and state governments to freely negoti­ate the minimum wage with their workers in line with the nation’s federal system.

About a fortnight ago, the House of Representatives in­troduced a bill which, accord­ing to the sponsor, Hon. Garba Mohammed, would create room for a free negotiation of the minimum wage with federal and state workers in line with the nation’s federal system.
But the workers stressed that it was an attempt by some state governors and members of the National Assembly to short-change them.

According to Rewane, who is the Chief Executive Officer, Financial Derivatives Company Limited, the mini­mum wage law signed by the President in April 2019 made it a crime for anyone who em­ploys more than five people to pay less than N30,000 mini­mum wage both in the public and private sector.

He also added that the revenues of most states of the federation had gone up by hundred percent just as the minimum wage was also increased from N18,000 to N30,00.

He said: “The law that the President signed in 2019 after our team submitted our re­port was that everybody in Ni­geria, public or private sector, that employs more than five people must pay a minimum wage of N30,000 a month to its workers.

“And that anybody who pays less than N30,000 a month to any group of people of five and above is commit­ting a crime as far as the Na­tional Minimum Wage Law is concerned.

“On the issue of whether it is law that should be passed by the federal or state does not arise. As of today, it is a federal law and it is binding on all cit­izens, both in the private and public sector.

“The willingness to pay is the issue. Even if you have bil­lions of naira and you refuse to pay, that will be your own prerogative.But that cannot be al­lowed. You will be commit­ting a crime according to the Nigerian statute.

“The oil producing states were getting N9 billion a month but now are getting N18 billion a month; that is a hundred percent increase.If you go to the others who do not have oil, Imo State was getting N3 billion a month in 2017; Imo State is now getting about N5 billion a month in 2019. In other words, inspite of the fact that the minimum wage has increased from N18,000 to N30,000, their rev­enue profile has improved by a substantially more amount than their wage bill has in­creased.

“So, both the states and the Federal Government have the ability to pay and that has been provided for in the Ap­propriation Act of 2019, 2020, and 2021.

“In spite of the pandemic, you’ll find out that the profile of the revenues of the Ni­gerian government, both at the federal and state levels, is much more improved be­cause subsidies have reduced, VAT has increased, and also there are lots of cost reflective tariffs that have increased.”

While justifying the protest by the workers, Rewane said Nigerians needed to know how the governors had been utilising the revenues accru­ing to them both in the state and the federal monthly allo­cations.

“The question is, what do you now do with the money you have earned? Nigerian people are inter­rogating and saying we want to know how you have used the money to improve edu­cation, healthcare, and other facilities for the people to get a benefit.

“It is important to set the records straight for anyone who says that the states don’t have the resources to pay. The states have the re­sources to pay and can meet the obligation if they are will­ing to do it.”
https://www.independent.ng/fg-states-have-resources-to-pay-minimum-wage-rewane/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by ShackWes(f): 7:18am On Mar 12, 2021
Govt and sincere be like 5 and 600000

12 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by titikariba: 7:19am On Mar 12, 2021
Reduce cost of governance that's the solution. The poverty capital of the World cannot be having the highest paid lawmakers in the World, it's not rocket science to understand that's a recipe for disaster.

8 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by nairavsdollars(f): 7:24am On Mar 12, 2021
How much is 30,000 that you can't pay people in 30 days? That's N1,000 per day for a man with family.

10 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Pierocash(m): 7:27am On Mar 12, 2021
Is it that Seun doesn't know that Nairaland is gradually losing popularity? Accessing Nairaland has become frustrating and annoying. For over 3-4weeks now,posting and accessing it is now out of this world.

Can't seun upgrade his server,or is he broke?

Let him go ask assistance from Linda Ikeji to fund him.

16 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by dangermouse(m): 7:31am On Mar 12, 2021
When it come to their own well being you see them increasing their pay with outmost precision but when it comes to the battered workers who have given all they had to the service of the country, they relent and bring up excuses.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by nairavsdollars(f): 7:32am On Mar 12, 2021
maybe you need to upgrade your phone and lappy first.
Pierocash:
Is it that Seun doesn't know that Nairaland is gradually losing popularity? Accessing Nairaland has become frustrating and annoying. For over 3-4weeks now,posting and accessing it is now out of this world.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by dangermouse(m): 7:33am On Mar 12, 2021
Pierocash:

must be network. Have never experienced such.

1 Like

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by inoki247: 7:34am On Mar 12, 2021
nairavsdollars:

is not about phone upgrade..

Na Samsung I dey use nd Na MTN I dey use with 4G oda site ar swift I av to put on VPN before I can enjoy Nairaland during the day time...

During the day time and evening na hell buh for midnight nd early morning the site dey always go swiftly...

7 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Bampeh: 7:36am On Mar 12, 2021
Very difficult to pay low income earners N30,000 but very easy to buy cars for Government officials and renovate useless buildings with Billions of naira.

Bampeh hate insincerity

3 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by blazepascal(m): 7:36am On Mar 12, 2021
issorite
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Slawomiir2: 7:36am On Mar 12, 2021
They will not cos it will reduce their allowances cry
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Bornsinner7: 7:36am On Mar 12, 2021
Ok
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Pierocash(m): 7:36am On Mar 12, 2021
dangermouse:

must be network. Have never experienced such.
what is network, do we need a different network for Nairaland?

The same network that accesses every other sites but can't access Nairaland.

The only time you can access Nairaland is this time,anything from afternoon, just try accessing it and you will realise what I am saying.
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by gambia(m): 7:37am On Mar 12, 2021
This country is a complete shithole.
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by tamdun: 7:37am On Mar 12, 2021
inoki247:

is not about phone upgrade..

Na Samsung I dey use nd Na MTN I dey use with 4G oda site ar swift I av to put on VPN before I can enjoy Nairand during the day time...

During the day time and evening na hell buh for midnight nd early morning the site dey always go swiftly...
Check ur phone/network again
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by gambia(m): 7:38am On Mar 12, 2021
n
Pierocash:

The only time you can access Nairaland is this time,anything from afternoon, just try accessing it and you will realise what I am saying.

I'm experiencing same issue.

1 Like

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by salbis(m): 7:38am On Mar 12, 2021
All the 36 states can pay more than 30k if they can block all the leakages created by them.

1 Like

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by Queenlovely(f): 7:39am On Mar 12, 2021
the country is broke
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by gambia(m): 7:40am On Mar 12, 2021
Pierocash:

I'm experiencing same issue.
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by abumeinben(m): 7:40am On Mar 12, 2021
Sincere? Why the word sincere?

Is every resident of a state a government worker?

Or am I missing something?
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by CocoaOla: 7:40am On Mar 12, 2021
Fg stop devaluing our currency and causing inflations your Naira can not buy anything useful in the market again

1 Like

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by dangermouse(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2021
Pierocash:

I am on Niaraland around the clock and still have never experienced such. Are you using the App or just browsing it the normal way like me. if its the normal way ie without using the app, then you need to change your browsing sim. Airtel 4g is the best alternative.

1 Like

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by inoki247: 7:41am On Mar 12, 2021
tamdun:

Check ur phone/network again

Which Network shey MTN get 2 type ni

I no know say MTN don partition dere network. Wetin dey view YouTube wey no drag nd d 4G dey on 247...

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by gambia(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2021
Queenlovely:
the country is broke

Broke is an understatement. The country is finished.

2 Likes

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by 2Ways(m): 7:41am On Mar 12, 2021
nairavsdollars:

It's not all about phone, I experience it too for some days now!

gambia:
This country is a complete shithole.

I experience it too, but it mostly open early in the morning! Other sites are working well! At a time I was thinking nairaland was shutdown completely.
Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:41am On Mar 12, 2021
HOW NIGERIA CAN PAY MINIMUM WAGE COMFORTABLY..........

1. Abolish SECURITY VOTE in NIGERIA. Nigeria will pay N45,000 minimum wage comfortably.

2. a) Abolish CONSTITUENCY PROJECT FUNDS
b) Reduce number of ADVISERS to SENATE PRES(2), HOUSE SPEAKER(2), GOVs(4), PRESIDENT(5), VP(2)
c) Reduce current ALL Political Office Holders PAY CHEQUES by 51.5%, without exception
d) Do away with special remuneration to POLITICAL ADVISERS & PUBLIC SERVANTS e.g; Purchase of Private Vehicles, Houses, granting Govt paid Vacations, paying for 1st & Business Class Transportations, etc, etc...
e) Abolish payment of OVERSEAS MEDICAL BILLS for Political Office Holders.
f) Eliminate PRIVATE PRACTICE in public workforce
g) Eliminate participation of Public Workforce in Partisan Politics.
h) Institute EMPLOYMENT BY MERIT, and eliminate UNDEREMPLOYMENT.
i) Review and eliminate allocation of Govt paid POLITICAL AIDES & SUPPORT STAFF to Political Office Holders.

With (1) + (2) Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N65,000 comfortably

3. Move Nigeria MORE to Private Sector Driven Economy
a) Privatise ALL of Federal Govt PARASTATALS & reduce Federal Direct Funded AGENCIES to 68% of the present.
b) Privatise ALL of STATE Govt PARASTATALS & reduce State Direct Funded AGENCIES to 19% of the present.
c) Reduce current DIRECT LABOUR JOB participation by 49%
d) Encourage more Working Hours until Nigeria economic stabilizes
e) Discourage UNIONISM in Public Workforce

With (1) + (2) + (3), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N101,500 comfortably.

4) Institute DEATH PENALTY to proven THEFT OF PUBLIC FUNDS no matter how little, and LIFE Jail Sentences for COLLABORATORS.

With (1) + (2) + (3) & (4), Nigeria would pay a minimum wage of N203,500 comfortably.

GOD BLESS NIGERIA
END OF DISCUSSION!

chiomadichie:
I'd substitute 4 for life imprisonment for both offences. Every other thing said makes complete sense and I totally endorse it!
Chioma Adichie,
We are highly honour that your very first and only comment after 2 Years and 9 months of joining Nairaland is to 'totally endorse' one of our posts.
That means a lot.
A better Nigeria is all we want.
God bless you sir/ma!

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Rewane: FG, 36 States Can Conveniently Pay Minimum Wage If They Are Sincere by cheango: 7:42am On Mar 12, 2021
J DONT EVEN KNOW WHY STATE AND FEDERAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOY MANY PEOPLE,
80% OF ALL THESE GOVT WORKER DONT DO ANY WORK...THEY JUST TALK UNDER TREES .. EVEN MOST WORK ARE DONE BY CONTRACTORS

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Just Got An Alert Of 30,000 Naira From Federal Government / Keyamo: Tinubu Will Prioritize Local Products To Raise Non-Oil Revenue (Video) / Sanusi Criticizes Bank Consolidation Exercise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.