Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,069 members, 7,818,188 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:50 AM

Nigerian (igbo) & African American - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nigerian (igbo) & African American (113867 Views)

UK Expats Learn Nigerian (Igbo) Culture For Husbands' Sake / Ghanaian (Ashanti) Dating Nigerian (Igbo) / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (59) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 3:19pm On Sep 08, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Yawns. Womp! Womp! Snoooze!

Now I know why there aren't very many Igbo comedians and roasters. lipsrsealed

Dry as usual.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Dry as usual.

Like your personality and brain. lipsrsealed

You are the epitome of a drought desert.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 6:39pm On Sep 08, 2013
Hello all.

Here is another interesting video from Geneticist Dr Kittles who explains the Genetic structure of the African American Population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYv5Ig7WglA

If you go back 14 generations you have 16,384 Ancestors. The Y DNA TEST and Mt DNA test only show DNA from Father to Son
or from Mother to Daughter. It will not show you what Mothers pass to their Sons or what Fathers have passed to their daughters therefore missing thousands of persons DNA in your ancestry.

Mt and Y DNA is only a small Fraction of your Ancestry and by NO MEANS all of it.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 7:02pm On Sep 08, 2013
What does it say please? I'm currently using my mobile and data plan doesn't allow video streaming.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:42pm On Sep 08, 2013
bigfrancis21: What does it say please? I'm currently using my mobile and data plan doesn't allow video streaming.

Just some information on the History of African Americans and the DNA tests and how they work
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
Jayvarley: Hello all.

Here is another interesting video from Geneticist Dr Kittles who explains the Genetic structure of the African American Population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYv5Ig7WglA

If you go back 14 generations you have 16,384 Ancestors. The Y DNA TEST and Mt DNA test only show DNA from Father to Son
or from Mother to Daughter. It will not show you what Mothers pass to their Sons or what Fathers have passed to their daughters therefore missing thousands of persons DNA in your ancestry.

Mt and Y DNA is only a small Fraction of your Ancestry and by NO MEANS all of it.

That's true. No one was disputing that. That is why you have autosomal testing. I already discussed this earlier before on another thread. The autosomal testing helps to show you other possible ancestries in your make up.

However, at the end of the day, paternal and maternal ancestries are the most important of all. We live in a patriarchal world whereby we identify paternally. We take on our father's surname, who took his surname from his own father and so on. Most countries, tribes, and societies identify paternally, not maternally. Only a minute number of them are matriarchal societies.

In Africa where we have a thousand more tribes than the select few that were taken to the Americas, paternal identity has helped to preserve our identities. In Africa today you'd commonly see someone who is proud Ijaw(let's call him Tonye), for example, yet his mother was Ibibio from her father(Tonye's maternal grandfather). Then his maternal grandmother could probably have been Efik. Then his father's mother could probably have been Igbo while his paternal grandfather is Ijaw, who passed his paternal Ijaw ancestry, genes and family name down to Tonye's father and down to Tonye. As you can see, Tonye is phenotypically a mix of Ibibio, Efik, Igbo and Ijaw but at the end of the day, Tonye is Ijaw. Former Niger Delta militant, Asari Dokubo is a clear example of this. According to him, all his grandmothers except one to 5 generations back were Igbo but today, Asari is a proud Ijaw man who identifies with Ijaw causes and issues, even though genetically he's a mix of Ijaw and Igbo.

While some people decide to stick to their paternal side despite having other ancestries, some others decide to acknowledge both or all possible sides. At the end of the day it all boils down to the side you choose to affiliate with. However, one can never fully know all the different ancestries he's had so far since his first ancestors because genetics can be complex. African Ancestry.com confirmed this. Wanting to know all ancestries would entail knowing your father's ancestry, father's mother's father and mother's ancestries, paternal grandmother's both parents ancestries, maternal grandmother's both parents' ancestries and so on. This will lead you to very complex maze. Another difficulty that you also encounter is the fact that in an admixture the genes of a tribe could be dominant and overshadow the genes of another tribe which happens to be recessive, thus making it difficult to detect that recessive-gene ancestry in DNA tests.

In every human being there are 46 chromosomes. Two of these chromosomes are XX(for females) or XY(for males) and these two chromosomes are called the Sex chromosomes as they determine the sex of an individual and they play no part in determining one's physical looks. The remaining 44 chromosomes come from both parents(22-22 each) are called Autosomal Chromosomes and it is the natural unique mixture of the 44 chromosomes from both parents that determines our physical characteristics and make up, which of our parents we look like etc. It is also here that other possible ancestries show up which DNA genealogy testing takes care of. It is also the unique admixture of the same 44 chromosomes that explains why someone will fail to look like both his Igbo-Igbo parents but look like his maternal Idoma grandmother because the Idoma autosomal chromosomes, which his maternal grand mother passed on to her daughter(his mom) which she then passed down to him, may have been stronger than the Igbo autosomal chromosomes from his father's side thus showing up in his physical make-up, thus giving him Idoma looks. Yet he remains Igbo but looks like the Idoma people instead.

History has not been wrong so far in the affiliation of one to one's paternal side. Nature has indicated that one's most important ancestries are paternal and maternal and went further to confirm this by providing us with the unique Y-Chromosome Father to Son transfer and Mitochondrial mother to child transfer. By so doing, Nature has confirmed that paternal ancestry is the first and foremost important ancestry, followed by the maternal ancestry next, after which all other possible ones follow. If it didn't deem these two sides important, it wouldn't have come up with this unique genetic phenomenon.

You next question might be how I'm able to know all these. I took genetics(biology) classes in both semesters of my first year in college, which I really enjoyed.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

That's true. No one was disputing that. That is why you have autosomal testing. I already discussed this earlier before on another thread. The autosomal testing helps to show you other possible ancestries in your make up.

However, at the end of the day, paternal and maternal ancestries are the most important of all. We live in a patriarchal world whereby we identify paternally. We take on our father's surname, who took his surname from his own father and so on. Most countries, tribes, and societies identify paternally, not maternally. Only a minute number of them are matriarchal societies.

In Africa where we have a thousand more tribes than the select few that were taken to the Americas, paternal identity has helped to preserve our identities. In Africa today you'd commonly see someone who is proud Ijaw(let's call him Tonye), for example, yet his mother was Ibibio from her father(Tonye's maternal grandfather). Then his maternal grandmother could probably have been Efik. Then his father's mother could probably have been Igbo while his paternal grandfather is Ijaw, who passed his paternal Ijaw ancestry, genes and family name down to Tonye's father and down to Tonye. As you can see, Tonye is phenotypically a mix of Ibibio, Efik, Igbo and Ijaw but at the end of the day, Tonye is Ijaw. Former Niger Delta militant, Asari Dokubo is a clear example of this. According to him, all his grandmothers except one to 5 generations back were Igbo but today, Asari is a proud Ijaw man who identifies with Ijaw causes and issues, even though genetically he's a mix of Ijaw and Igbo.

While some people decide to stick to their paternal side despite having other ancestries, some others decide to acknowledge both or all possible sides. At the end of the day it all boils down to the side you choose to affiliate with. However, one can never fully know all the different ancestries he's had so far since his first ancestors because genetics can be complex. African Ancestry.com confirmed this. Wanting to know all ancestries would entail knowing your father's ancestry, father's mother's father and mother's ancestries, paternal grandmother's both parents ancestries, maternal grandmother's both parents' ancestries and so on. This will lead you to very complex maze. Another difficulty that you also encounter is the fact that in an admixture the genes of a tribe could be dominant and overshadow the genes of another tribe which happens to be recessive, thus making it difficult to detect that recessive-gene ancestry in DNA tests.

In every human being there are 46 chromosomes. Two of these chromosomes are XX(for females) or XY(for males) and these two chromosomes are called the Sex chromosomes as they determine the sex of an individual and they play no part in determining one's physical looks. The remaining 44 chromosomes come from both parents(22-22 each) are called Autosomal Chromosomes and it is the natural unique mixture of the 44 chromosomes from both parents that determines our physical characteristics and make up, which of our parents we look like etc. It is also here that other possible ancestries show up which DNA genealogy testing takes care of. It is also the unique admixture of the same 44 chromosomes that explains why someone will fail to look like both his Igbo-Igbo parents but look like his maternal Idoma grandmother because the Idoma autosomal chromosomes, which his maternal grand mother passed on to her daughter(his mom) which she then passed down to him, may have been stronger than the Igbo autosomal chromosomes from his father's side thus showing up in his physical make-up, thus giving him Idoma looks. Yet he remains Igbo but looks like the Idoma people instead.

History has not been wrong so far in the affiliation of one to one's paternal side. Nature has indicated that one's most important ancestries are paternal and maternal and went further to confirm this by providing us with the unique Y-Chromosome Father to Son transfer and Mitochondrial mother to child transfer. By so doing, Nature has confirmed that paternal ancestry is the first and foremost important ancestry, followed by the maternal ancestry next, after which all other possible ones follow. If it didn't deem these two sides important, it wouldn't have come up with this unique genetic phenomenon.

You next question might be how I'm able to know all these. I took genetics(biology) classes in both semesters of my first year in college, which I really enjoyed.

A very interesting post.

I have noticed that most African people are very patriarchal and are very much into lineage.

When asked about my parentage by African people, I tell them my Mother is Jamaican and my Dad is Barbadian, then they
will reply "Then you are from Barbados"

As it seems they hold less value to Mt DNA.

Denying thousands of my ancestors of their contribution to my existence and also denying HALF of the genes my Mother made me with.

Now suppose I were to do a Y DNA test and it were found that my Y Chromosome is from Europe,
Would those same people consider me WHITE? Though Phenotypically I am clearly a black man,
with a tiny Percentage of White ancestry that would never had been known about without the DNA test.

The example you gave also relates to me. I resemble my Maternal Grandfather, who I suspect was of IGBO stock
mainly because that is what Nigerian people see in me.

I have also learnt recently that my Maternal Grandfather's own paternal Grandfather was an African American free slave who fled the states to Jamaica to escape the cruel racism in the states.

I have seen some pictures of that line of family and my Mother and I still look like them unchanged.

Also there are an increasing number of African Americans who DNA tests are found to match tribes that are NOT WEST AFRICAN. But rather from Northern and Eastern Africa. This tells us that during the slave trade, WEST AFRICA at some stage would have become exhausted. So slave raiders would have had to search deeper in land to find more slaves.

I once had a conversation with an older white guy who I use to work with around ten years ago. In brief he said to me
"West Africa was just the sending off point, it does not mean all slaves were West African."

Now I can agree with you that MOST African Americans and Caribbean people are of WEST AFRICAN ANCESTRY. But as more and more people are being tested some are found to have matches in places like Uganda and Sudan and the Nubian Kingdom area.

As more people are tested we will have a bigger picture.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
The examples below show a clear case of clueless person who, without thinking before replying, would rather shout and spew nonsense just to feel she won an argument without even bothering to do some research.

The examples below are classical examples.

1) In her bid to discredit anything Igbo in the slave trade this is what she arrogantly claimed out of utter sheer ignorance.

*Kails*:
Jamos did not call anyone "red ibo". grin
Lol. I know my people. They only called the bi/multiracial children red and usually it was derogatory in nature. The formal term was "creole" or "brown". it's true we invented the term "redbone" but not because of the "light skinned" Igbos. grin

Those called "red" were biracial folks.

#lies.

--This was Blyss trying to educate her on her ignorance:

Blyss:

Well the fact of that you're only half Jamaican clearly shows in your lack of knowledge of Jamaican history. That information is absolutely true, it was even mentioned in a documentary I saw on Caribbean history a couple years back.

Blyss:

LOL, come on Sis, let's keep this civil. Now you're telling me that just because, to your best of knowledge, your country folks from Jamaica haven't mentioned anything about the Historical fact of that Non-Igbo slaves once referring to many of the Igbo slaves as Red or Red-Igbo for their common propensity for being fair complexioned, it must of not taken place? Really? really? Well, that is about as nonsensical as me claiming that since my families country folk, never mentioned anything about how native born slaves here in America used to call the fresh off the boat slaves from Africa "Guinea Man", it must of never happen when in fact it did. Just because something isn't common knowledge, and you or those you know may not know of it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen or takes place at current.

Instead of doing a little common research, she replied with her typical ignorance,

*Kails*:
don't pass your place with me blyss.
im half but my mother is 100 percent JAMO. And not one person in my family on her side has EVER heard of the term "red igbo". I'm talking about COUNTRY FOLKS who did not leave the country side until the 60s! So take your place on the side lines and have a seat. You can't educate me about Jamaica. Period.

btw do look wide and long for this "documentary". wink
let's see if you are not lying as usual.

She even went on to call Blyss a liar.

She continued again with her usual ignorance, this time saying it with all the energy and fervour she could muster.

*Kails*:

Thank you. And "red" was used to describe [size=18pt]ALL[/size] biracial, creole, and even albino Jamos (but we mostly called them "Dundus" though). But we didn't even use the word "red" until the enslaved understood English which took a long time seeing as how we spoke "old time patois", cromanti (akan) and kongo languages to communicate. So wtf we get "red [b]igbo" from? As if our ancestors were walking around calling people according to their tribe.

"Hey you!! di red bwoy! Yeah, the Igbo, come 'ear nuh man!" grin grin yeah right!

I'm not paying these ppl any mind trying to prove something to other ethnic groups and themselves. "well documented" mi back foot. Lolz. [/b]

This is the same Ignoramus who then confessed with her very own mouth:
Kails:
Bigfrancis21,
HEY HEY!!

I owe you an apology sir. tongue
I asked my g.mom about the Red Ebo thing. she said it's true. She said she heard a few country folks say "red ebo" but it was always directed towards ALBINO Jamaicans

This is someone who claims she's all knowing who would reply even when she's totally clueless because to her she's fighting 'some internet battle' which she must win.

https://www.nairaland.com/1099473/caribbean-indigenes-speak-igbo-yoruba/6
https://www.nairaland.com/636061/african-americans-igbo-roots/14

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:23pm On Sep 08, 2013
2) Next, evidence was brought forward that records indicates that a few african americans still bear 'eboe' as surname in line with their eboe ancestry:

Well said, bro.
OMG! I once read somewhere that some AAs still bear 'eboe' as surname.
Caribbean (Jamaican names):

Some of the slaves’ names indicate their place of origin in Africa. For
example Congo Bob suggests someone born in Congo, while Betty Eboe suggests
an Ibo woman from Nigeria. Coromantee indicates someone who was shipped
from around Kormantin slaving fort on the coast of Ghana. Try some searches on
Congo, Ibo (also Eboe, Ebo, Ibbo) and Coromantee.

Then In her bid to prove she's all-knowing rather than research properly before concluding, she responded

*Kails*:

"Eboe" is a british sirname. grin

http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Eboe
shocked shocked shocked

Even when modern Igbo people still bear 'Igbo' as surname or its derivatives such as Igbokwe, Igboamaeze, etc

To which somebody responded to her ignorance:
ezeagu:

Eboe is actually a name some Igbo people bear, like this guy: Chile Eboe-Osuji. If you search Eboe in academic resources there's only one reference you'll get. The site seems to go back where the person registered from, the person is probably Igbo even.

I searched Chukwu, it's also a British surname according to them.

http://lastnames.myheritage.com/last-name/Chukwu

She realized she slayed herself woefully

*Kails*:
^^I'm sorry guys. i did more research.
you guys may have a point..i said MAY! tongue

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/slavery/pdf/Topic7-LR2-SlaveryintheCaribbean.pdf

Caribbean (Jamaican names):

Some of the slaves’ names indicate their place of origin in Africa. For
example Congo Bob suggests someone born in Congo, while Betty Eboe suggests
an Ibo woman from Nigeria. Coromantee indicates someone who was shipped
from around Kormantin slaving fort on the coast of Ghana. Try some searches on
Congo, Ibo (also Eboe, Ebo, Ibbo) and Coromantee.

grin grin grin grin

And my response after going all shocked shocked shocked was

bigfrancis21:
The AAs bearing the surname, 'eboe' are british, right? Lmao. And the jamaicans, 'betty eboe', for eg are british too right? Lmao. I'm surprised you even brought evidence forward to support the 'eboe' surname fact after disputing it and calling it 'british'. You contradict yourself a lot. Confused sister. The igbo presence in the caribbean cannot be downplayed by you no matter how hard you try.

This is clearly a case of ego problems running here.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:24pm On Sep 08, 2013
3) Next She debunked the DNA TESTING by claiming that African americans and caribbean people were too mixed to be traced to specific individual tribes. She also went on to lie that DNA testing only stops 5 generations back and CANNOT be one further. The funny thing is that despite the fact that she's clueless she still takes pride in her nauseating ignorance and will resort to profanity just to prove a banal point

*Kails*:

we've been out here since the 1600s sir (1500s if you're caribbean - damn!), there is no way to only name one tribe as our ancestral group. DNA testing only traces back 5 generations and then they will claim the ancestry that comes out the most...but its still not enough to tell us ALL of our ancestry and it never will.

[size=14pt]Then she continues to slay herself, using profanity to prove her clueless points
[/size]
MsDarkSkin:

you still don't understand genetics. but you claimed to have studied it though? grin
this is too sad.

what the results means is that there are people living in present day cameroon and eastern nigeria who share ancestry with him. it doesn't mean he is ONLY Igbo/Cameroonian lmao. AFRICAN ANCESTRY (the organization) said themselves that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to trace the ancestors of blacks in the west in total. We are the creation of hundreds of Africans from all over the western and south eastern african shores. the fact that you continue to post excerpt which slay your own "points" is too sad to laugh at.

but i do anyway out of amazement! grin

and you talk about maternal vs paternal, we on the west for the most part do not share african ideologies when it comes to this topic. We believe (just as nature does) that a person is 50/50 of both of their parents. We inherit from out mothers and fathers evenly. Therefore blair is just as what ever his mother is, as his father...naturally mixed. tongue

you are seriously deluded if you think a people who have been outside of africa as early as the 1500s is collectively only one thing and can only be traced directly back to one tribe. you my friend lack common sense. Must be...either that or you are trolling.

I hope the last one is the case.

This is me trying to educate her on the DNA testing with the truth and real facts:

bigfrancis21:
Please show me where I said in any of my posts that the AAs are only Igbo? I guess you'll never come up with that! grin.
Go back and read the topic again, kails dummy, tongue what does it say? 'African Americans and their Igbo roots'. This thread discusses the Igbo ancestry of the AAs. in other words only those AAs with partial/full Igbo ancestries are posted and discussed here. Is that hard to comprehend, dummy? tongue grin
Definitely, the AAs are a mix. I don't need a dummy to tell me that. Other threads could be started on the 'Akan ancestry of the AAs' or 'Kongo Ancestry of the AAs'. Your deluded point has always been the 'AAs-all-mixed' ish, yea but then you claimed its impossible for AAs to trace back to some of their ancestries until I brought DNA testing evidence forward that proved you dead wrong. Dummy, get this into your head, The Y chromosome of a person is only traced to one male ancestor/person who is from one tribe and the mtDNA to only one female ancestor who is from one tribe'. These two ancestries are the most important. However, other ancestries could exist and they all play a role in the mixing theory. In Africa today where you have prevalent inter-tribal marriages, for example, an akan man with an akan father (Akan Y DNA) and Ewe mother. The mother is Ewe by affiliation to her paternal side while her mother may come from another tribe, say Fon. Now the man's mtDNA, being passed down from the mothers only, goes back thus, mother>grandmother>great-grandmother>great great grandmother etc down to the first female ancestor etc that may come from Fon tribe. Now you see how the maternal tracing goes? This same man may have a paternal grandmother who is Yoruba. But this yoruba ancestry doesn't play a role in the Y DNA heritage(father-to-son inheritance) or the mtDNA heritage of the man since the man must have gotten his mtDNA from his Ewe/Fon mother and not from his father, who has the Yoruba mtDNA he got from his Yoruba mother but however being a man, will not pass it down. The genes of other ancestries, apart from the Y and mtDNA, only shows up in the remaining 44 autosomal chromosomes, the remaining two being the XX/XY chromosomes for maleness/femaleness. These 44 chromosomes determines the physical characteristics of an individual and it is what accounts for a man with Igbo/Ibibio sides who looks instead like his Ijaw maternal grandmother. I've mentioned this before. Nature has made it fairly easy for one to trace his ancestry, the two important of these being the paternal and maternal. If the AAs had decided to stick to their tribal affiliations over the years despite the mixing, just as it is in Africa, the ancestral confusion going on with the AAs wouldn't have been in place and there wouldn't have been any need to waste money on DNA testing. Stop acting like the AA/Caribbean mixing is too unique to those folks. The same mixing has been occurring in africa, africa that has thousands of more tribes than the selected few that were sent to the caribbean/Americas, yet we still know and maintain our ethnicities. We aren't confused! grin grin
Now having made my point clear, Blair is indubitably paternally and maternally Igbo/Cameroonian. He may have other possible ancestries which may be acknowledged but not deemed so much important. cool cool

MsDarkSkin:

AFRICAN ANCESTRY (the organization) said themselves that there is NO WAY POSSIBLE to trace the ancestors of blacks in the west in total.

Let me break that bolded statement of yours down as I can see its the only piece of evidence you're hanging on to to support your deluded belief. grin grin. The English is too much for you. That ain't jamaican patois. tongue Aww! I understand. Poor thing! tongue grin

Read my lips: genetically speaking, it isn't possible to trace all other possible ancestries (maybe 10 of 'em) in just the 44 autosomal chromosomes of an individual. There is the natural occurrence of overshadowing of some recessive tribal genes by other dominant tribal genes making it difficult to successfully trace some ancestries. However, despite this occassional occurrence the paternal and maternal ancestries are untampered with and easily traceable. Aha! grin grin

[size=14pt]Someone else then slayed her![/size] shocked shocked

ezeagu:

It is not a one way thing. There are African Americans who know or have heard fragmented stories about their ethnic origin(s) like Paul Robeson and T.D. Jakes and claim it. I defended that eboe surname particularly because there are people from the Virginia side (and other places including Jamaica and Haiti, Barbados) who actually held onto their Igbo identity and passed it onto their children for generations. While it is obvious that many in the African diaspora are mixed or have multiple heritage, there are some that have decided to only claim a lineage, sometimes this is Igbo. It's no different to the equally mixed people of European descent who would simply say they are Irish and German, or just German, even when they may have some native and African ancestry let alone other European ancestry. Then there are those whose family have lived in small communities for a long time. I guess it's left to the individual.

Rather than accept the truth, she resorted to use of profanity to cover her inferiority complex:

MsDarkSkin: lmao@ the igbo-centric ode oshi TRYING to convince me.
I don tire for your matter sir.

this is extremely embarrassing....on your part.

This is a clear case of ego problems.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:35pm On Sep 08, 2013
Jayvarley:

A very interesting post.

I have noticed that most African people are very patriarchal and are very much into lineage.

When asked about my parentage by African people, I tell them my Mother is Jamaican and my Dad is Barbadian, then they
will reply "Then you are from Barbados"

As it seems they hold less value to Mt DNA.

Denying thousands of my ancestors of their contribution to my existence and also denying HALF of the genes my Mother made me with.

Now suppose I were to do a Y DNA test and it were found that my Y Chromosome is from Europe,
Would those same people consider me WHITE? Though Phenotypically I am clearly a black man,
with a tiny Percentage of White ancestry that would never had been known about without the DNA test.

The example you gave also relates to me. I resemble my Maternal Grandfather, who I suspect was of IGBO stock
mainly because that is what Nigerian people see in me.

I have also learnt recently that my Maternal Grandfather's own paternal Grandfather was an African American free slave who fled the states to Jamaica to escape the cruel racism in the states.

I have seen some pictures of that line of family and my Mother and I still look like them unchanged.

Also there are an increasing number of African Americans who DNA tests are found to match tribes that are NOT WEST AFRICAN. But rather from Northern and Eastern Africa. This tells us that during the slave trade, WEST AFRICA at some stage would have become exhausted. So slave raiders would have had to search deeper in land to find more slaves.

I once had a conversation with an older white guy who I use to work with around ten years ago. In brief he said to me
"West Africa was just the sending off point, it does not mean all slaves were West African."

Now I can agree with you that MOST African Americans and Caribbean people are of WEST AFRICAN ANCESTRY. But as more and more people are being tested some are found to have matches in places like Uganda and Sudan and the Nubian Kingdom area.

As more people are tested we will have a bigger picture.

@Bold...yes. Not every AA has a complete black ancestry. Some AAs who submitted their DNA samples for testing hoping they'd find an African ancestor were shocked to find their paternal ancestry pointing to Europe instead. Don't forget that some white slave masters tended to have black concubines with whom they had children with. Some had European maternal ancestries turn up in their result. Also, some white women seduced black men and had children by them which explains why some AAs have DNA results turning up with European maternal ancestry. A few black men had white women ad their wives as well.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 9:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
The term "RED IBO" is an OLD JAMAICAN TERM and is not often used today except by the older Generation. This is simply because the tribal affiliations have become practically non existent in todays Jamaican society .

A fair skinned person may be referred to as simply "RED"

The IBO/IGBO part and meaning had been lost/forgotten by todays generation.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
Jayvarley:
The term "RED IBO" is an OLD JAMAICAN TERM and is not often used today except by the older Generation. This is simply because the tribal affiliations have become practically non existent in todays Jamaican society .

A fair skinned person may be referred to as simply "RED"

The IBO/IGBO part and meaning had been lost/forgotten by todays generation.

I noticed that. Yet, this is what she claimed:

*Kails*:
Jamos did not call anyone "red ibo". grin
Lol. I know my people.
They only called the bi/multiracial children red and usually it was derogatory in nature. The formal term was "creole" or "brown". it's true we invented the term "redbone" but not because of the "light skinned" Igbos. grin

Those called "red" were biracial folks.

#lies.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:14pm On Sep 08, 2013
4) Another big lie told by Kails all in the same delusion to prove that she must win her internet battle.

*Kails*:

The point is it has nothing to do with youI

You do not determine what is fact or fiction because you want to spread this propaganda that we are mostly igbo. We have gone through toooo many times.

The fact of the matter is this Igbos were sent in large bulk to the new world but many...im sorry...MOST died at sea due to murder, drowning, poor health.
Majority of the bodies STILL at the bottom of the atlantic (or what is left of them)
are ppl who look like you who were sold by ppl looked like them. OK? Now scram.

Thats some igbo truth for you.

@Bold> shocked shocked shocked I have never heard that one before. She didn't even drop any facts to verify her claims.
Imagine her utter false claims even when african americans keep turning up with partial/full igbo ancestries in their DNA tests. If most of these slaves died in the sea or due to murder, why not explain how a substantial amount of these results keep turning up Igbo?

[size=16pt]Even with such massive evidence as shown below? shocked shocked shocked[/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
5) She even went on to defend her lies and fact peddling after being confronted severally with evidence of her massive lies

*Kails*:
ytf do you care about what I accept as truth?
What does any of this have to do with you??

Am I missing something here?

[size=16pt]LIAR![/size]

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by kweenchi(f): 10:54pm On Sep 08, 2013
Interesting thread thanks to @bigfrancis21!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Nobody: 11:16pm On Sep 08, 2013
LOL @ all the comments. Una still dey here? grin grin. What are we still arguing, pray tell?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by MrsChima(f): 2:32am On Sep 09, 2013
Radoillo: LOL @ all the comments. Una still dey here? grin grin. What are we still arguing, pray tell?

No one is arguing...we are trying to pacify a grown dummy who can't accept the facts and truth that Igbos do not dominate the world nor do they have greatest influence on Western Blacks.

He is posting articles and blogs claiming every Western Black has Igbo DNA. lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Crayola1: 3:26am On Sep 09, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

No one is arguing...we are trying to pacify a grown dummy who can't accept the facts and truth that Igbos do not dominate the world nor do they have greatest influence on Western Blacks.

He is posting articles and blogs claiming every Western Black has Igbo DNA. lipsrsealed

The problem is that he is not saying any of those things.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 7:52am On Sep 09, 2013
@Bigfrancis21

There is truth in what Kalis is saying though. If you go back (350 years ago) 14 generations in your family you will have 16, 384 ancestors
Which is roughly the time period of slavery in the US.

Out of those 16,384 ancestors it is highly likely that some of them were from different African ethnicities.

Once African slaves were taken to their colonies, they began to leave their tribal differences behind them for OWN SURVIVAL.
Tribes who were usually enemies with each other became friends because they shared a common enemy the European.

This is the reason why African American and Caribbean people are so genetically diverse groups.

If you also include the European and Native American/Arawak contribution to those peoples you have a unique genetic signature
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:25am On Sep 09, 2013
You still don't get. She claimed you people were too mixed for DNA testing to locate each specific tribe in your ancestry, in her bid to discredit the DNA testing that has recorded enormous success in fields such as paternity cases and murder cases.

What you just described above can also be attributed to the people of Africa, Europe and even India. In those places, when you go 14 generations back you'll get 16,384 different people with possible different ethnicities.

After she then modified it to claim that DNA testing CANNOT go beyond 5 generations back while the same testing has successfully been able to go 10 generations back or more down to the very first ancestor.

Finally, africa has a thousand more tribes than the select few, say 20 or 30, that were shipped to America and a lot of inter tribal marriages occur everyday. If you're talking about people who are mixed with excessive ancestries more than ever, you are likely to find them in Africa. So I don't see why that of AAs/Caribs should be so unique anyway. If AAs/Caribbean peeps had kept their tribal affiliations all these while like Africans do, identity crises like this would not have been there and there would practically have been no need for DNA testing.

Take a look around you. You are unlikely to find somebody who is 100% pure of only onee ancestry. In Europe, Asia etc. Even within a tribe in Africa. Even some whites were shocked to have native american, and even African ancestries pop up in their DNA testing on their maternal sides and autosomally yet today they are whites. Europeans tend to have so many ancestries in their DNA. Its common to find an English man with Italian, german, french, spanish ancestries. Yet at the end of the day he's an English man.

Nobody is reputing the fact that people around the world are likely to be more mixed than ever. However, paternal ancestry still remains the most important because at the end of the day, your fatherland is where you belong and where you have the most rights.

Little wonder when Blair Underwood was interviewed concerning his ancestry, despite having 3 ancestries(Igbo, Yoruba and Bamoun), he went on to specifically mention Igbo exclusively(Igbo being his paternal line).

At the end of the day where would you yourself properly belong to and have more rights, in Barbados(your maternal land) or Jamaica(your paternal land)?
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:25am On Sep 09, 2013
The term "DUNDUS" is a derogatory term used for Albino's in Jamaica. However some Jamaicans incorrectly use the term to refer to anyone who is very fair skinned. However an Albino lack of pigmentation in their hair and eyes make them very distinguishable from other faired skinned persons.

Here is KING YELLOW MAN one of my Favourite Jamaican Reggae dancehall Artistes.

Who is Albino

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NdqsIeA6mU
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 8:40am On Sep 09, 2013
Nobody ever disputed the Dundus part. I don't see why you should be bringing that up.

The bone of contention was 'red ibo' probably because to her it contained 'ibo' as a word and she has a phobia against anything 'ibo'.

She's a fulani. I don't see why she should be jumping from this Igbo thread to that Igbo thread on nairaland disputing anything Ibo with all the energy she can muster.
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by Jayvarley(m): 8:46am On Sep 09, 2013
@Bigfrancis21 One of the earlier posts by Kalis made references to the term DUNDUS.

So I made further clarifications for the education of the forum
Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:36am On Sep 09, 2013
@Jayvarley

Below is a snapshot image of excerpts from africanancestry.com on the two main types of DNA testing confirming the same thing i've been saying earlier. They Notice that they indicated that Y DNA testing and Mt DNA testing are more specific.

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:43am On Sep 09, 2013
@Jayvarley

DNA testing has continued to prove Dr. Chambers Douglas', who concluded that "My research suggests that perhaps 60 percent of black Americans have at least one Igbo ancestor...'', research conclusion very right.

Below is Chris Tucker, the famous black american hollywood actor's DNA testing result by african ancestry.com. His own DNA testing was more comprehensive as it included paternal, maternal and autosomal DNA results.

Despite having a paternal ancestry pointing to Cameroon, he result came out showing partial Ibo ancestry popping out in both paternal and maternal sides of his ancestry. Clearly, he must have had more than one partial Ibo ancestor in his history for Ibo to pop out on both sides of his history.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:50am On Sep 09, 2013
@Jayvarley
Despite having Ibo ancestries pop out more in his ancestries than other discovered ethnicities in his ancestry, at the day his paternal ancestry is the most important, and that is the Bamileke tribe in Cameroon. Chris Tucker is Bamileke and he has chosen to identify with that. He has even visited Cameroon to meet with his tribesmen. Whether he chooses to acknowledge other tribes in his ancestry is a choice left to him to make.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 9:52am On Sep 09, 2013
Even Quincy Jones', the American record producer, conductor, arranger, composer, television producer, and trumpeter, DNA testing result indicates a partial Ibo ancestry.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:00am On Sep 09, 2013
@Jayvarley

Bishop TD Jakes' DNA test confirmed his family's oral historical paternal Ibo ancestry. He also has hausa, fulbe and fulani ancestries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:02am On Sep 09, 2013
Oprah Winfrey's DNA test indicates she has Kpelle, Kru and Kissi ancestries.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:05am On Sep 09, 2013
bigfrancis21: You still don't get. She claimed you people were too mixed for DNA testing to locate each specific tribe in your ancestry, in her bid to discredit the DNA testing that has recorded enormous success in fields such as paternity cases and murder cases.

What you just described above can also be attributed to the people of Africa, Europe and even India. In those places, when you go 14 generations back you'll get 16,384 different people with possible different ethnicities.

After she then modified it to claim that DNA testing CANNOT go beyond 5 generations back while the same testing has successfully been able to go 10 generations back or more down to the very first ancestor.

Finally, africa has a thousand more tribes than the select few, say 20 or 30, that were shipped to America and a lot of inter tribal marriages occur everyday. If you're talking about people who are mixed with excessive ancestries more than ever, you are likely to find them in Africa. So I don't see why that of AAs/Caribs should be so unique anyway. If AAs/Caribbean peeps had kept their tribal affiliations all these while like Africans do, identity crises like this would not have been there and there would practically have been no need for DNA testing.

Take a look around you. You are unlikely to find somebody who is 100% pure of only onee ancestry. In Europe, Asia etc. Even within a tribe in Africa. Even some whites were shocked to have native american, and even African ancestries pop up in their DNA testing on their maternal sides and autosomally yet today they are whites. Europeans tend to have so many ancestries in their DNA. Its common to find an English man with Italian, german, french, spanish ancestries. Yet at the end of the day he's an English man.

Nobody is reputing the fact that people around the world are likely to be more mixed than ever. However, paternal ancestry still remains the most important because at the end of the day, your fatherland is where you belong and where you have the most rights.

Little wonder when Blair Underwood was interviewed concerning his ancestry, despite having 3 ancestries(Igbo, Yoruba and Bamoun), he went on to specifically mention Igbo exclusively(Igbo being his paternal line).

At the end of the day where would you yourself properly belong to and have more rights, in Barbados(your maternal land) or Jamaica(your paternal land)?

@Bold...below is a DNA autosomal(44 chromosomes) testing result done on a white man, Mark Shriver, which showed he has some African(West African) ancestry despite being white.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian (igbo) & African American by bigfrancis21: 10:06am On Sep 09, 2013
The link to the evidence given above can be found here:
http://www.healthdisparity.tuskegee.edu/8thSymposium/Presentations/8BMRS-RK-DNA-AA7x.pdf

Peace out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (59) (Reply)

What Is The Nwa Baby Ashawo Song By Flavour N'abania Talking About? / Obateru Akinrunta:The Richest King In Nigeria.. The Olugbo Of Ugbo Kingdom, Hrm / Botha's Speech 1985 (a Must Read!)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 140
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.