Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,812 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:46 PM

Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President (33966 Views)

President Samia Suluhu: I Submit To My Husband, Still Kneel For Him (Video) / Tanzania's President, Suluhu Hassan And Daughter's Picture Causes A Stir / Seyed Hassan Nasrallah: US Soldiers In Middle East Will Go Home In Coffins (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Nobody: 9:56am On Mar 19, 2021
Previous thread:
https://www.nairaland.com/6464449/tanzanias-president-john-magufuli-dies

Tanzania’s Samia Suluhu Hassan was on Friday sworn in as the country’s first female president after the sudden death of John Magufuli from an illness shrouded in mystery.

Hassan, 61, a soft-spoken Muslim woman from the island of Zanzibar, will finish Magufuli’s second five-year term, set to run until 2025.

Wearing a bright red headscarf, Hassan was sworn in as the country’s sixth president, at a ceremony in Dar es Salaam, where neither she nor the majority of attendees wore a mask, in the Covid-sceptic nation.

“I, Samia Suluhu Hassan, promise to be honest and obey and protect the constitution of Tanzania,” said the new president, as she took the oath of office before inspecting troops at a military parade and receiving a cannon salute.

She becomes the only other current serving female head of state in Africa alongside Ethiopia’s President Sahle-Work Zewde, whose role is mainly ceremonial.

Hassan was little known outside Tanzania until she appeared on state television on Wednesday night to announce that Magufuli had died aged 61 from a heart condition after a mysterious three -eek absence from public view.

But questions have been raised over the true cause of his death, after multiple rumours that Magufuli — one of the world’s most fervent Covid-sceptic leaders — had caught the virus and had sought treatment abroad.

Main opposition leader Tundu Lissu insists his sources said Magufuli had Covid-19 and had actually died a week ago.

And Kenya’s Daily Nation newspaper, which last week reported an “African leader”, in clear reference to Magufuli, was in a Nairobi hospital, on Friday gave more details of his illness, also indicating Magufuli had in fact died last week.

Citing sources, the paper said Magufuli was discharged from Nairobi Hospital on life support after it was determined he could not be resuscitated and returned to Dar es Salaam where he died last Thursday.

The paper details his initial evacuation to Nairobi on March 8 in a medical plane, as he suffered “acute cardiac and respiratory illnesses.”

The main question hanging over the new president is whether she will usher in a change in leadership style from her predecessor, nicknamed the “Bulldozer”, notably in the handling of the pandemic.

– ‘A new chapter’ –
Magufuli leaves behind a complex legacy, after a swing to authoritarianism which saw him crackdown on the media, activists and free speech while refusing to take any measures against Covid-19.

He called for prayer instead of face masks, refused to publish case statistics or implement lockdown measures, and championed alternative medicines.

In May last year, he revealed a papaya, quail and goat had tested positive for the virus in a secret operation, proving “sabotage” at the national laboratory.

However by February, as cases soared and the vice president of semi-autonomous Zanzibar was revealed to have died from Covid-19, Magufuli conceded the virus was still circulating.

The opposition and rights groups have urged Hassan to change course.

“As we continue mourning, let us use this period to open up a new chapter for rebuilding national unity and respect to freedom, justice, rule of law, democracy and people-centred development,” said Freeman Mbowe, the chairman of opposition group Chadema, in a statement Thursday.

He urged Hassan to “lead the nation toward reconciliation”.

Meanwhile Human Rights Watch said in a statement that the new government “has a chance for a fresh start by ending problematic past practices.”

– ‘Hold your breath’ –
However analysts say Hassan will face early pressure from powerful Magufuli allies within the party, who dominate intelligence and other critical aspects of government, and would try and steer her decisions and agenda.

“For those who were kind of expecting a breakaway from the Magufuli way of things I would say hold your breath at the moment,” said Thabit Jacob, a researcher at the Roskilde University in Denmark and expert on Tanzania.

Hailing from Zanzibar, the semi-autonomous island in the Indian Ocean, Hassan rose through the ranks over a 20-year political career from local government to the national assembly.

A ruling party stalwart, she was named Magufuli’s running mate in the 2015 presidential campaign. The pair were re-elected in October last year in a disputed poll marred by allegations of irregularities.

Hassan must consult the ruling Chama Cha Mapinduzi (CCM) about appointing a new vice president. The party is set to hold a special meeting of its central committee on Saturday.

Tanzania is observing a 14-day mourning period and details on Magufuli’s funeral have yet to be announced.

Magufuli is the second East African leader to die under mysterious circumstances.

Burundi’s equally Covid-sceptic leader, Pierre Nkurunziza, died from “heart failure” last June after his wife was flown to Nairobi to be treated for coronavirus.

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2021/03/tanzania-swears-in-first-female-president-after-magufulis-sudden-death/

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Mabizeka: 9:58am On Mar 19, 2021
It won't happen in Nigeria

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by GOFRONT(m): 9:59am On Mar 19, 2021
Hmmmm.....Madam Samia. My girlfriend that year!!!

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Nobody: 10:06am On Mar 19, 2021
GOFRONT:
Hmmmm.....Madam Samia. My girlfriend that year!!!

grin

Why did you guys break up?

97 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Nobody: 10:09am On Mar 19, 2021
Very good
Let's see how she performs

So Tanzania president don die be that
My brothers from the west usually say a certain prayer

Ire akari.
If you know you know

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by omofeyi(f): 10:13am On Mar 19, 2021
Isnt this stale news? anyhoo makes me wonder if Naija can ever get female president.. i think the only way is if we have a female vice president and the president dies just like this.. i dont think nigerians can ever elect a woman.. Sadly thats the mentality of most african countries too
ndenzel

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Bornsinner7: 10:13am On Mar 19, 2021
Another bragging right to say the future is pussy!!

Let us see what she has to offer but e sure me say if na naija them no go gree..
Wealthyone:
Wow! I don't know why we can't try a woman in Nigeria too. Men has been the worst presidents in Nigeria....let's give a woman a chance and see the real positive change.

Maybe it is being reserved for me. So help me God!
All the women that were given a chance in political positions all looted even more than men..

Aisha Buhari ran to Dubai for 6mnths for just being the first lady.. what if she was the president??

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by moneyissweet(m): 10:13am On Mar 19, 2021
Nigeria first professor/pastor president loading...98%

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by bouncin04(m): 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
Awon eyan "Feminist" & "The Future Is Female" , food don ready o . grin

3 Likes

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Wealthyone: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
Wow! I don't know why we can't try a woman in Nigeria too. Men has been the worst presidents in Nigeria....let's give a woman a chance and see the real positive change.

Maybe it is being reserved for me. So help me God!

6 Likes

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Debroslink: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
The future is Female

But can a female be a Nigerian president?

3 Likes

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Bansempire: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
Kudos to her, am sure she will be a good leader...but wait when will the giant of Africa get a Female president

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by opalu: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
Congratulations

1 Like

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by BigDawsNet: 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
Congratulations Tanz
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by nazicartel(m): 10:14am On Mar 19, 2021
this is what some people have been praying secretly to happen in Nigeria, but Olodumare won't hear their prayers...
Anyway, I think we should try a woman in Nigeria, since the men we have tried have seriously disappointed... Women should be given a try though I don't know how people that doesn't like shaking hands with women in public but can marry 10 women will feel about voting for them

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by venger: 10:15am On Mar 19, 2021
That constitution need to be torn and thrown out of the window. How can a woman lead a pack of Alpha male.

3 Likes

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Brunicekid(m): 10:15am On Mar 19, 2021
Female President..

1 Like

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by BafanaBafana: 10:15am On Mar 19, 2021
Malgufuli was a great man

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Moblux(m): 10:15am On Mar 19, 2021
MejiLoyon:
Very good
Let's see how she performs

So Tanzania president don die be that
My brothers from the west usually say a certain prayer

Ire akari.
If you know you know

Ko ya kari ni o

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Kharol1234: 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
Not in my country them go even hide the death of the president

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by wunmi590(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by id4sho(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
g
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by MISTAICEY02288(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
Nice... How I wish we could have same in Nigeria. That useless vegetable in Aso Rock should just resign or kick the bucket.. Death sef, e see wicked leaders like the ones wey we get for Naija for ground, e no take them, na better people e dey take... angry undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Racoon(m): 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
Nice development! Woman to the challenge of leadership
Hope she does not disappoints because Africa is a continent that does not appreciate women in such positions of leadership.
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Omeifa: 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
I hope she's not the girlfriend of the former president
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Nobody: 10:16am On Mar 19, 2021
grin
Moblux:

Ko ya kari ni o
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Nobody: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2021
Sapa is killing me
Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Teewhy2: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2021
if the country's cabal allow her to rule the country freely the country might be better off for it as most women in authority always want to prove a point.

Do you need to do a roof parapet?
Are you building on a water logged land?
Try to reduce your building load with the use of polystyrene material.
Get to know more by clicking below.

https://www.nairaland.com/3726763/alternative-building-material-expanded-polystyrene/17

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Kingcalls: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2021
Debroslink:
The future is Female

But can a female be a Nigerian president?

She only got it by proxy....she no win election

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Eriokanmi: 10:17am On Mar 19, 2021
Nigeria missed her "first achiever" status in Africa on this. As long as the north remains part of Nigeria, such would never be allowed. Their religion version is different from that of Saudi lool. Its like a sect. In their very eyes, Saudi would produce a female Prime Minister. Its happening soon.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Samia Suluhu Hassan Sworn In As Tanzania's First Female President by Muyiwaipere(m): 10:17am On Mar 19, 2021
A

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reddit, Twitch, Shopify, Discord Ban Donald Trump / Niger: Junta Re-opens Borders With Neighbours, Excludes Nigeria, Benin Rep / Biden Orders Air Strikes On Iranian Backed Militias In Syria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.