Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,407 members, 7,822,879 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:36 PM

What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 (2877 Views)

Rejoinder- "Twelve Days In Office And Buhari's Achievements". / Twelve Day's In Office And Buhari's "Achievements" / Was Gen. Mamman Vatsa Really Innocent? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by zsynergies: 12:43am On Apr 16, 2011
I have heard a lot of campaigns from BB team, mostly criticising GEJ 10 months rules but none have mentioned Buhari's achievement while he was in power. Don't know if this is an oversight or a deliberate ploy to hide information. For the benefit of those who were neither born then or much younger to understand what Government was all about then; I would to know what the general's achievements were and if we are still benefiting from it today or if the benefits were usurped by subsequent governments after him. I believe this answers will sell the General more than the radical approach of his supporters and the swearing and curses. Please if you know his achievements then kindly list them here. I am voting GEJ at the moment because I can relate with his achievements now but am still open to be logically and fatually convinced.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Kobojunkie: 4:13am On Apr 16, 2011
Please stop creating silly threads!!

@Moderators, can we start restricting people's abilities to create threads
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by fstranger5: 4:18am On Apr 16, 2011
OP: Nice thread

We need to ask questions.

The past is important

These things matter.

If anyone is not happy with it, let them stop coming here. You are into IT for Puccy's sake, go create you own forum and do as you see fit. Nairaland does not belong to your Father!
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by naijaking1: 5:23am On Apr 16, 2011
Buhari's achievements in 1983:
1. He murdered 3 students for allegedly carrying drugs after he made the law retroactive. The parents of those boys should have been allowed to sue him, or at least be compensated----they're still waiting
2. He overthrew a democratically elected goverment of Shehu Shagari---in many countries, they would have hung him around his neck until he dies, but here, we have him running around and trying to be president again.
3. After his coup, he selectively hurled christians and southerners into jail, leaving his fellow Hausa/Fulanis to either go scott free, or at worst kept under house arrest in the government house.
4. He locked up Vice President Ekwueme in Kirikiri, while President Shagari was kept at the goverment house
5. He killed many memorable Nigerians like Ambrose Alli by false imprisonment and later death in jail.
6. He jailed sick and elderly southerners like Michael Ajasin, Onabanjo, Mbakwe, while his northern governors went free
7. He killed the hope of Lagos to join other mega-metropolis of the world by denying them access to the metro rail
8. He killed press freedom, by jailing journalists like Nduka Irabor.
9. He destroyed Nigerian medical standards by banning the NMA, and even the students union.
10. He created the highest number of billionaires in his native Katsina after Abacha made him the chairman of PTF.
11. He did not only refuse to explain any of the actions he took in 1983, he refused to appear before a reconcilliation committee, and even sued so that the findings will never be made public.

I beg, the list of his "achievements" dey long, but that's it for now. So if Buhari looses tomorrow's presidential election, everybody should hold a special thanksgiving service to whatever God they worship, because the man could have set us back 100 years.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by efisher(m): 6:21am On Apr 16, 2011
It is not hard to see why GEJ will win. An innocent person came along to open an innocent thread. The BB fan attacked the poster with so much bitterness and insulted him/her. The GEJ fan nicely provided some strong points to further strengthen the decision of the OP. BB missed yet another potential voter. Violence is not the answer.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by SweetT1: 6:51am On Apr 16, 2011
What has Jonathan achieved in 2 years??
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by naijaking1: 6:59am On Apr 16, 2011
^^^
Just go through the list above, and check off the ones done by GEJ, and let us know.
Eg, killed 3 students, for drugs in suit cases, while allowing 53 suit cases of his emir friend to pass unchecked

I need your factual input, not some ethnoreligious bigotry.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Mariory(m): 8:54am On Apr 16, 2011
naijaking1:

1. He murdered 3 students for allegedly carrying drugs after he made the law retroactive. The parents of those boys should have been allowed to sue him, or at least be compensated----they're still waiting
2. He overthrew a democratically elected goverment of Shehu Shagari---in many countries, they would have hung him around his neck until he dies, but here, we have him running around and trying to be president again.
3. After his coup, he selectively hurled christians and southerners into jail, leaving his fellow Hausa/Fulanis to either go scott free, or at worst kept under house arrest in the government house.
4. He locked up Vice President Ekwueme in Kirikiri, while President Shagari was kept at the goverment house
5. He killed many memorable Nigerians like Ambrose Alli by false imprisonment and later death in jail.
6. He jailed sick and elderly southerners like Michael Ajasin, Onabanjo, Mbakwe, while his northern governors went free
7. He killed the hope of Lagos to join other mega-metropolis of the world by denying them access to the metro rail
9. He destroyed Nigerian medical standards by banning the NMA, and even the students union.
10. He created the highest number of billionaires in his native Katsina after Abacha made him the chairman of PTF.
11. He did not only refuse to explain any of the actions he took in 1983, he refused to appear before a reconcilliation committee, and even sued so that the findings will never be made public.

Only in Nigeria would such a man who should be behind bars be contesting for president. . .and at 69+ years old. Only in Nigeria.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by zsynergies: 10:12am On Apr 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Please stop creating silly threads!!

@Moderators, can we start restricting people's abilities to create threads

This is the kind of attitude that demarkets BB seriously. Supporters are always aggressive and undemocratic in their response to simple issues. What is silly from my question? Don't we have a right to know what his achievement was before voting for him? Am surprised highly respected Kobojunkie could post this type of dictatorial comment in 2011
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Arosa(m): 10:24am On Apr 16, 2011
In a civilised word Buhari would be in prison for life for human right violations. angry
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Rossikk(m): 11:16am On Apr 16, 2011
He taught Nigerians how to do frog jump, while being whipped senseless by Mopol. undecided
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Eziachi: 11:25am On Apr 16, 2011
naijaking1:

1. He murdered 3 students for allegedly carrying drugs after he made the law retroactive. The parents of those boys should have been allowed to sue him, or at least be compensated----they're still waiting.
They were real drug couriers, caught and find guilty in a law court and for one good year, drug trafficking completely stopped. A Nigerian as we speak is waiting execution in China, China is currently Nigerian biggest trade partner. Buhari is not their leader.

IBB, Abacha, Dogonyaro, Useni, Onoja, David Mark, Umar, Kpera, Vatsa, Barko are the main guys that conspired and overthrow Shagari.  Abacha was the voice that announced the coup. Buhari was completely an outsider, was made the head of state because of seniority. The names mentioned above came to hold power and make money. When they realised that this outsiders Buhari/Idiagbon has a different agenda of cleaning up Nigeria and handing over power back to politicians in a real democratic election unlike NPN 1983 landslide, they overthrew Buhari/Idiagbon and you and I can testify they got what they wanted- hold on to power and made themselves rich.

Umaru Dikko is not a Southerner or a christian to the extent that they tried and failed to kidnap him and bring him back to answer for corrupt charges against him and his Attorney General/Minister of Justice was also a Southerner Chris Ofodile. Another false propaganda.

4. He locked up Vice President Ekwueme in Kirikiri, while President Shagari was kept at the goverment house.
This is one of those lies being peddled over the years, Ekwueme used public fund to build himself a brewery in Oko his home town. Where did you think Ekwueme get the money to build his MODOTEL 5 star hotel chains. Those that even think that Jonathan's wife is corrupt and power drunk today, really never met Beatrice Ekwueme.

Ali died of protracted illness caused by many years of suffering from heart problems and diabetes and being in jail, absolutely did not help his fragile health. He did not die in jai. He died when he was released based on his issues/amnesty. He went to jail for using millions of money belonging to the old Bendel state to help fund his party the UPN in 1983 election especially. Ali himself admitted it and said it was a mistake, even though the money wasn't for his personal gain.

6. He jailed sick and elderly southerners like Michael Ajasin, Onabanjo, Mbakwe, while his northern governors went free.

Ajasin, Onabanjo was jailed for the same reason as Ambrose Alli, enriching their party UPN, the same reason Mohammed Goni, Aper Aku, Tatari Alli and other who were northerners were jailed too.
Sam Mbakwe converted everything produced by Imo state owned Golden Guinea Breweries into personal use during the burial/funeral of his first wife (Florence).
Uncle Sam somehow converted the borehole water project donated to his community by a a foreign NDO to be build right inside his compound. Although he claimed that, he thought it was a gift an official of the NDO and apologised and I believed him, but ignorant is never an excuse in law. Finally, his children was caught with an undeclared $50k enroute to London with Mr Jimi Jonson as their minder (Okoro- in the NTA's village master soap). The money was released to them but when the army came, they retrieve the file again and charge Mbakwe for money laundry and Jimi Johnson gave evidence his conviction.
I have known Mbakwe as my fathers personal friend since I was a kid, far back in the 60s in Port Harcourt. His late wife (Florence) was my youngest sister's god mother. When my parents died in the mid 90s, Mbakwe visited us and when he died, I called and spoke to his son Alex and his wife (Victoria) So I know what i am talking about.

7. He killed the hope of Lagos to join other mega-metropolis of the world by denying them access to the metro rail.
Only an unreasonable ruler/govt will sanction such a project with economy in a total shambles, the coffer left dry by the NPN govt. Nigeria owing lending bodies billions in dollars. Cancelling a project do not translate into banning the project forever. Many govt has come and gone since him and why didn't they revive the project? Jakande himself was Abacha's minister of works for a certain period, he made no attempt to revive his dream or was Buhari still there trying to stop him?
In my constituency in the U.K, the last labour govt proposed and everything were ready for a brand new Neurological hospital. This govt came and scrapped it indefinitely due to the current economic shape of the nation. What Buhari did is not new in any modern economy to stop a huge project because of  the state of a nation's economy, especially when you have to borrow heavily to make it a reality.

The military rules by decree and the writers and defenders of those decrees were civilian SAN's. Not making excuses for them but how much has the same journalist fared under your democracy. Charging a TV anchor man for treason for calling OBJ's jet a Tokunbo, invading many news houses and arrest including AIT. All this under PDP you will vote for today. Irabo later served the same people you claimed to have persecuted him.

I think you can do better than this. Banning a doctor's trade union doesn't equate to destroying a medical standard of a nation. In cuba, they don't have trade union of any sort but still have the best medical care system in the world. Not all doctors in Nigeria are members of NMA. I thought you would have said that he closed all hospitals, while going abroad to treat himself and his family.

I know when someone is running out of idea or points. This is one of those thing we blab out after, on our 4th bottles of Big stout and Isiewu. I think we should leave that for ladies at Jankara market.

Only a fool will go and participate in such a charade organised by OBJ to deflect attention of gullible Nigeria. I watched the whole procedure and it was more of a show than a serious well thought issue and Where is the report of that commission now? If OBJ was serious, he should have first set law that will legally back the commission, so that everyone called to come and testify must do so under the law but he refused to do so because, he has already set agenda of what he wanted with the commission. Tell me what the commission achieved as we speak? Nothing. And who and who did they reconciled?

I beg, the list of his "achievements" dey long, but that's it for now. So if Buhari looses tomorrow's presidential election, everybody should hold a special thanksgiving service to whatever God they worship, because the man could have set us back 100 years.

I don't think, so because your last two show that you have ran out of what to say. So go tomorrow and vote against him, that is your right to do so. You don't even has have an excuse to vote against him. when OBJ and Yar Adua claimed to have won in 1999, 2003 and 2007 election, many people too went and offered their thanks and givings, but the outcome later shows that, its either that their god were asleep when they are thanking him or don't like their givings.

2 Likes

Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Eziachi: 11:44am On Apr 16, 2011
efisher:

It is not hard to see why GEJ will win. An innocent person came along to open an innocent thread. The BB fan attacked the poster with so much bitterness and insulted him/her. The GEJ fan nicely provided some strong points to further strengthen the decision of the OP. BB missed yet another potential voter. Violence is not the answer.

Between you and me, I can't wait for this charade to be over so that at least Nigerian will start leaving in paradise and we in Nairaland can get back to what normally love as our pass time- moaning about the state of the power supply, lack of good road/water, lack of food, 18th century standard airports/seaports, bribery and corruption, embezzlement, new ideas in kidnapping, robbery, 419, Human ritual etc etc,
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by fstranger5: 11:58am On Apr 16, 2011
^^^^

Remove Ajasin's name from your post. You need to do that ASAP!
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Eziachi: 12:20pm On Apr 16, 2011
fstranger5:

^^^^

Remove Ajasin's name from your post. You need to do that ASAP!
Don't tell me what to do, just prove me wrong, come back with an alternative.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by aniffy4eva(m): 12:22pm On Apr 16, 2011
@ Eziachi
Thank you sir for great responses, I particularly found the one below very funny, grin

I know when someone is running out of idea or points. This is one of those thing we blab out after, on our 4th bottles of Big stout and Isiewu. I think we should leave that for ladies at Jankara market.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Kobojunkie: 2:08pm On Apr 16, 2011
zsynergies:

This is the kind of attitude that demarkets BB seriously. Supporters are always aggressive and undemocratic in their response to simple issues. What is silly from my question? Don't we have a right to know what his achievement was before voting for him? Am surprised highly respected Kobojunkie could post this type of dictatorial comment in 2011

My attitude does nothing of the such. Coming in a day before the election to open yet another thread on the same question that has already been answered on at least 50 threads now(with many of them spanning pages), shows you are probably not serious yourself for a response.

Why waste bandwidth? Better yet, what is wrong with you doing some research of your own to find the answers since much of it is available for free on google?? What's wrong with your fingers??
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by fstranger5: 2:11pm On Apr 16, 2011
^^^

You dont own NL, and it does not belong to your father

Anyone can open any thread as they see fit. Only Seun can be bold enough to make the statement you just made. if you dont like it here, move over to www.kobojunkieland.com

Go exert your power over there. You piece of crap!
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by zsynergies: 2:24pm On Apr 16, 2011
Kobojunkie:

My attitude does nothing of the such. Coming in a day before the elections to open yet another thread on the same question that has already been answered on at least 50 threads now, shows you are probably not serious yourself for a response. Why waste bandwidth ? Better yet, what is wrong with you doing some research of your own to find the answers since much of it is available for free on google?? What's wrong with your fingers??

I rest my case on you. Your attitude says all a lot about your person. Voting has commenced and I am 4 people away from voting. Glad I chose GEJ after all. So happy I did. You are a serious disservice to BB team.
Re: What Was Gen Buhari's Achievements In 1983 by Kobojunkie: 2:31pm On Apr 16, 2011
zsynergies:

I rest my case on you. Your attitude says all a lot about your person. Voting has commenced and I am 4 people away from voting. Glad I chose GEJ after all. So happy I did. You are a serious disservice to BB team.

See . . . . I said absolutely nothing of being a Buhari-Bakare Supporter . . . Heck, my location shows me a non voter but like so many others BEFORE YOU, you have opened a silly thread to ask a question that has been answered over 50 times already and then surmised that I am a Buhari-Bakare supporter even without my making a single statement on Buhari or anyone close to him.

Do you really think you are the first person to come in here doing that in the last 2 months? What do you people gain from opening such meaningless threads when it is all too obvious your intentions are not to learn but to waste people's time and bandwidth around the same old questions that have been beaten to death on so many other threads? Do you somehow think 50 more threads asking the same question sets you apart from those before you who did exactly the same? We get threads like yours like twice everyday and you have yet again proved that I can spoke unserious folks like you easy now . . . . ROFLMAO!!

(1) (Reply)

Igbo's Don't Care About Any Biafran Declaration / General Babangida's (aka IBB) Never-ending Transition To Democracy 1990-1993 / Message To All The Pastors Who Prophesised GEJ Will Win

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.