Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

[Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? (3413 Views)

Major Reasons Why Family Member Do Not Help Each Other. / Don’t Kill Your Husband. This Is How To Deal With Him If He Is Cheating On You / Kenyan Lady Exposes Maid Who Plans To Break Her Marriage To Become New Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

[Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 2:46pm On Mar 28, 2021
He is my stepbrother. The first child.

My father disowned him.

I am talking about someone that keeps saying it openly that our father will die. No reasonable father will stay in same compound with such a son.

He made attempts to drag properties while my father was alive.

My father died recently. And the burial plans are ongoing.

My stepbrother obviously scared could not enter our compound to say what he wanted. He was led by two village members to come and deliver his message.

He complained that he is the first son and therefore has the right to be informed about our father's death.

He also said the burial will not hold without his consent.

This is someone that wants my father dead, so why should we inform him?

My father had stroke in 2019 and he didn't care to come and make peace.

I am not afraid of him because I can definitely handle him physically.

I want to explore legal way of stopping him and probably one of my wicked uncle who is supporting him from anything concerning the burial.
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by ahnie: 2:53pm On Mar 28, 2021
Truth be told.....you just have to tread carefully.....by the way,you ought to have informed him of his father's demise..it's his right to know...pls stop shutting him out.

pls kindly involve him in the burial proceedings.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
ahnie:
Truth be told.....you just have to tread carefully.....by the way,you ought to have informed him of his father's demise..it's his right to know.

Inform wetin?

Someone that wants his father dead.

Which right?

Is right only about burial?

Did he come when my father was sick?

My mom has been the one bathing my father since September 2019 till he passed away this month..

Someone that wishes his father to die. And you say right?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Soolmus: 3:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
Go and report him at the nearest police station, they would make him sign an undertaking not to cause any breach of peace

1 Like 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by smatt1711: 3:00pm On Mar 28, 2021
You should state your tribe. Every tribe has a way of dealing with something like this , but if you are IGBO then the question I will be asking you is how did your father disown him, in Law you can't disown a child that is yours , then in igbo culture you can disown but not by mere words , the man must call his kinsmen and give them reason the effected child should not be part of his family ,why the kinsmen is important is because one person does not own a child , the man disowning his son is also the same thing with the entire kinsmen disowning him, he will not live in that village again , ...... but what I understand clearly is that your brother and your father was not in good terms , that still did not stop him as the 1st son, and my understanding your father did not disown him and that is why your uncle accompanied him, he is still a member of that village and also your father's 1st son hence he is still living in that village , he can not be in that village and play a second son role ,that role can not be swapped in igbo culture, is either he is disowned and asked to leave the village or he is still in the village , and once he is still in the village he is still your father's 1st son and he should not be consulted but he should head over everything concerning your father's burial, Igbo tradition for you.

3 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Richy4(m): 3:15pm On Mar 28, 2021
On the burial day, 5 or 6 policemen's physical presence brandishing their weapons will do the magic... The thing is, can you afford them? or know someone that knows someone... Army will add more spices or will I say an icing on the cake....

just ignore anyone that tells you to invite him on the burial date... did he travel abroad that he doesn't know that his father is no more? I am sorry for your lose dear
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 3:19pm On Mar 28, 2021
smatt1711:
You should state your tribe. Every tribe has a way of dealing with something like this , but if you are IGBO then the question I will be asking you is how did your father disown him, in Law you can't disown a child that is yours , then in igbo culture you can disown but not by mere words , the man must call his kinsmen and give them reason the effected child should not be part of his family ,why the kinsmen is important is because one person does not own a child , the man disowning his son is also the same thing with the entire kinsmen disowning him, he will not live in that village again , ...... but what I understand clearly is that your brother and your father was not in good terms , that still did not stop him as the 1st son, and my understanding your father did not disown him and that is why your uncle accompanied him, he is still a member of that village and also your father's 1st son hence he is still living in that village , he can not be in that village and play a second son role ,that role can not be swapped in igbo culture, is either he is disowned and asked to leave the village or he is still in the village , and once he is still in the village he is still your father's 1st son and he should not be consulted but he should head over everything concerning your father's burial, Igbo tradition for you.

I am Igbo.

Is tradition supreme?

That's why I need a legal perspective. Because some umunna no get sense.

3 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by smatt1711: 3:21pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

I am Igbo.

Is tradition supreme?

That's why I need a legal perspective. Because some umunna no get sense.
Tradition is supreme because some part of it has be captured in the Nigeria legal system , the truth is once your kingsman are aligning with him, then it means your father made some mistakes and is not the boys fault , since he is not the same mother with you you may not see those mistakes

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 3:22pm On Mar 28, 2021
Richy4:
On the burial day, 5 or 6 policemen's physical presence brandishing their weapons will do the magic... The thing is, can you afford them? or know someone that knows someone... Army will add more spices or will I say an icing on the cake....

just ignore anyone that tells you to invite him on the burial date... did he travel abroad that he doesn't know that his father is no more? I am sorry for your lose dear
Travel wetin?
If I list the evil things he did, this nairaland won't contain it. For a father to disown his son shows something.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 3:25pm On Mar 28, 2021
smatt1711:
Tradition is supreme because some part of it has be captured in the Nigeria legal system , the truth is once your kingsman are aligning with him, then it means your father made some mistakes and is not the boys fault , since he is not the same mother with you you may not see those mistakes
Mistakes? Only one that doesn't know the genesis will tag it a mistake.
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Richy4(m): 3:27pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

Travel wetin?
If I list the evil things he did, this nairaland won't contain it. For a father to disown his son shows something.

But where is he@ the moment?... Who communicated to you that he has a plan of disrupting the burial?... During the meeting when you called your kindred to let them know about your father's demise and the planned date for the interment, Was the rest of the family members there including your half brothers and sisters?
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 3:43pm On Mar 28, 2021
Richy4:

But where is he@ the moment?... Who communicated to you that he has a plan of disrupting the burial?... During the meeting when you called your kindred to let them know about your father's demise and the planned date for the interment, Was the rest of the family members there including your half brothers and sisters?

My stepbrother came to Aba on Friday. I don't know his whereabouts now.

One of Uncles called him, he has always been supporting him since the day his rebellion started. This same uncle who lives in the village in Anambra didn't visit when my father was sick since 2019.

We live in Aba. A cousin of mine that lives in the village visited us In Aba after hearing the news of our father's death, while the uncle supporting my stepbrother has not visited us.

Only few of my siblings are around. We don't want to plans to disrupt their schedules. We meet in the village when the burial date comes closer. Our sisters are still in school. We communicate on phone to pass info.

The village union in Aba has been informed of the date of the burial, including the church here in Aba and our hometown in Anambra.
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by AishaYesufu: 4:05pm On Mar 28, 2021
Whether your father orally disowned him or not, he is still the Okpala of the family. Granted that him and your father (his father) were not in good terms but your father didn't follow the tradition to "disown him", thereby rendering it invalid. In Igbo land, the place and role of the first son cannot be taken from him except he is disowned or dead.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 4:14pm On Mar 28, 2021
AishaYesufu:
Whether your father orally disowned him or not, he is still the Okpala of the family. Granted that him and your father (his father) were not in good terms but your father didn't follow the tradition to "disown him", thereby rendering it invalid. In Igbo land, the place and role of the first son cannot be taken from him except he is disowned or dead.

The bone of contention is not who is first son or not.

2 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by AishaYesufu: 4:31pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

The bone of contention is not who is first son or not.
The problem is that you are usurping his authority

4 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Nobody: 4:37pm On Mar 28, 2021
My sincere condolences, OP. May your Father's soul rest in peace, amen.

Your halfbrother's argument that he has the right to be informed about your father's death is absurd. It wasn't your duty or anyone else's to inform him about your father's death, neither is there such thing as him having a right to be informed about your Father's death. Somebody that was dragging property with the man and didn't bother to show or ask about his wellbeing when he was sick, smh. He's obviously still a horrible guy if he's threatening to destroy what should be a peaceful goodbye for your Father.

Can you report him to the authorities, like the police? It's only in Nigeria that one person will be acting like the big bad wolf and get away with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by ambient: 4:37pm On Mar 28, 2021
AishaYesufu:

If they leave everything for him to do as the eldest do you think he can? Someone his father disowned must be very wayward and rebellious but you want them to leave everything for him because it's not your family....ndi adviser

2 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by MRKRABS2: 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2021
First of all He is not your stepbrother,he is your elder half brother. Secondly I believe that it is your choice as a family to choose whether your father's death will tear your family apart due to all your past conflicts or to bring you together as a family and acknowledge that in the past mistakes have been made,bitter words said and hatred brewed due to different issues but that in the end BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER...... You don't have to to be close but at least be civil and respectful to one another.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 4:38pm On Mar 28, 2021
AishaYesufu:

Authority over who?
He has authority over my mother?

My mother(the spouse) of my father is still alive.

Where was his authority when my father was sick?

My stepbrother hired kidnappers to kidnap my father.
He said it openly in the market that my father will die.

So which authority does he deserve? The news of my father's death is good news to him.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 4:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
MRKRABS2:
First of all He is not your stepbrother,he is your elder half brother. Secondly I believe that it is your choice as a family to choose whether your father's death will tear your family apart due to all your past conflicts or to bring you together as a family and acknowledge that in the past mistakes have been made,bitter words said and hatred brewed due to different issues but that in the end BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER...... You don't have to to be close but at least be civil and respectful to one another.

Blood is thicker than water, that's why Cain killed Abel?

2 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Richy4(m): 4:48pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

My stepbrother came to Aba on Friday. I don't know his whereabouts now.

One of Uncles called him, he has always been supporting him since the day his rebellion started. This same uncle who lives in the village in Anambra didn't visit when my father was sick since 2019.

We live in Aba. A cousin of mine that lives in the village visited us In Aba after hearing the news of our father's death, while the uncle supporting my stepbrother has not visited us.

Only few of my siblings are around. We don't want to plans to disrupt their schedules. We meet in the village when the burial date comes closer. Our sisters are still in school. We communicate on phone to pass info.

The village union in Aba has been informed of the date of the burial, including the church here in Aba and our hometown in Anambra.

@ Bold were the most important.. Now the next step is police Presence...
To make sure there was peace and your dad rests/ interred in peace on that day...Do you have a trusted person in Anambra state... especially from your maternal side that can handle security issues... You guys will be really busy on that day shuttling interstate.. I thought it will be a thing of within locals/ state.... The most unimaginable will be arriving in your state only to meet resistance and embarrassment on that day.. Armed Police will be a necessity ...

4 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 4:55pm On Mar 28, 2021
Richy4:

@ Bold were the most important.. Now the next step is police Presence...
To make sure there was peace and your dad rests/ interred in peace on that day...Do you have a trusted person in Anambra state... especially from your maternal side that can handle security issues... You guys will be really busy on that day shuttling interstate.. I thought it will be a thing of within locals/ state.... The most unimaginable will be arriving in your state only to meet resistance and embarrassment on that day.. Armed Police will be a necessity ...
The cousin that visited is a member of the vigilante group in our village. He is aware of the threats.

We will arrive few days before the burial date.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Richy4(m): 5:03pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

The cousin that visited is a member of the vigilante group in our village. He is aware of the threats.

We will arrive few days before the burial date.

Ok then.. wish you guys the best... Just take it easy on that day... advice your siblings to hit the ignore button as many times as possible if he tries to provoke you guys...It's not about who can overpower one another, it's about letting peace reign and not entertaining family members who will be expecting you people to entertain them with a fight.. ... Once again please accept my condolence..

4 Likes

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Myer(m): 5:04pm On Mar 28, 2021
smatt1711:

You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
How can tradition be supreme over the legal system?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Macphenson: 5:24pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

Authority over who?
He has authority over my mother?

My mother(the spouse) of my father is still alive.

My stepbrother hired kidnappers to kidnap my father.
He said it openly in the market that my father will die.

So which authority does he deserve? The news of my father's death is good news to him.

Please I beg of you , am Igbo also, I wish this can be discussed privately so these other people don't start insulting the Igbos on a public forum.

The truth is , he is now the head of the family and he has authority over your father's house. That's the tradition. Your mum is a woman and not a man. Your.mum can never break kola in the gathering of Umunna, that is very symbolic.

I understand your brother is wayward and wicked. If the allegations of kidnapping were true, your dad would have involved the law enforcement agencies and disown him legally.

He could have also gathered the Umunna and disown him in their presence citing the kidnapping issue.

But unfortunatly no decisive step was taken by your father in disowning him, just words of mouth, so know this simple fact, he is still a member of that family , and since he is the first son, he has authority over that house.

That's the simple truth.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:29pm On Mar 28, 2021
Tribalism on this forum won't even allow some people to speak their minds anymore.
Tribalism is now putting fears into some members that they can no longer SPEAK OUT!
What a Shame.

Seun, though you are doing all your very best to curb tribalism on this forum, but we believe more still need to be done.
Some people are now scared against some other people they are from the same nation as.
Not everyone is like dem MANNA that have some thick skins behind them please.

SAY NO TO TRIBALISM.

@topic, as traditions demand, now that your uncle is involved, it is your uncle that is now the head of the family.
But if it happens to be this wayward step brother alone, then you can handle him in legal ways... after giving him some brain-resetting slaps.
About the disowning part : that is not the way to go about disowning in the first place, secondly, you can't disown what is not yours.

We Rise!

I want to explore legal way of stopping him and probably one of my wicked uncle who is supporting him from anything concerning the burial

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 5:33pm On Mar 28, 2021
Macphenson:

Please I beg of you , am Igbo also, I wish this can be discussed privately so these other people don't start insulting the Igbos on a public forum.

The truth is , he is now the head of the family and he has authority over your father's house. That's the tradition. Your mum is a woman and not a man. Your.mum can never break kola in the gathering of Umunna, that is very symbolic.

I understand your brother is wayward and wicked. If the allegations of kidnapping were true, your dad would have involved the law enforcement agencies and disown him legally.

He could have also gathered the Umunna and disown him in their presence citing the kidnapping issue.

But unfortunatly no decisive step was taken by your father in disowning him, just words of mouth, so know this simple fact, he is still a member of that family , and since he is the first son, he has authority over that house.

That's the simple truth.

Nna, that's your own opinion.

In my family, the wife comes first before any child.

1 Like

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:37pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

Nna, that's your own opinion.
In my family, the wife comes first before any child.

If that is how it is in your family, we shouldn't be here discussing this then.

Mom should take charge of everything.

May dad's soul Rest in Perfect Peace.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by jmoore(m): 5:41pm On Mar 28, 2021
post=100287262:

If that is how it is in your family, we shouldn't be here discussing this then.

Mom should take charge of everything.

May dad's soul Rest in Perfect Peace.
She is already in charge. Just came to seek for a legal way to obstruct anyone that plans to disrupt the burial.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by Mindlog: 5:54pm On Mar 28, 2021
Hmm...
Re: [Updated]Legal Way To Deal With A Family Member Who Plans To Disrupt A Burial? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:57pm On Mar 28, 2021
jmoore:

She is already in charge. Just came to seek for a legal way to obstruct anyone that plans to disrupt the burial.
Oh, very good to know mom is in charge.
The best legal way is to get in touch with Policemen (and maybe the military) and explain the situation on ground to them.
And their presence that day will deter any troublemaker from creating any rowdy scene.

All the very best and we wish you a successful burial ceremony.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

. / My Wife And Facebook / Can A Husband Molest His Wife?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.