Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,908 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:52 AM

North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina (809 Views)

"Why The Core North Voted For Buhari" / Jonathan’s Incompetence And Exploitation Of Religious Lines / Ghadafi Denies He Said Nigeria Should Split Along Religious Lines (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Nchara: 6:38am On Apr 17, 2011
Early results released Saturday from a cross section of some polling units in the 36 states of the federation and the Federal Capital Territory were reflective of the sectional divide between the north and south, with voters from both sides casting their votes along regional and religious lines.

With 120,000 polling units in the 774 local government areas in the country, preliminary results from yesterday’s presidential poll show that President Goodluck Jonathan of the Peoples Democratic Party was leading in all states in the south, except possibly Osun State.

On the other hand, Major-General Muhammadu Buhari[rtd], presidential candidate of the Congress for Progressive Change, was leading by wide margins in the northern states of Kano, Kaduna, Katsina, Sokoto, Niger, Bauchi, Jigawa, Gombe, Kebbi, Zamfara and Borno which may offset his lack of support across the south.

However, Jonathan and Buhari were able to win their respective polling units at Otazi playground in Otueke, Bayelsa State, and Sarkin Yara A Ward in Katsina State.

In his polling centre, Jonathan’s PDP won all 413 votes cast leaving other parties with no votes, while Buhari’s CPC scored 494; All Nigeria Peoples Party 4; Action Congress of Nigeria 1; Democratic Peoples Party 3; and PDP 0.

Notwithstanding the early results released in just a fraction of the 120,000 polling units nationwide, things would become clearer later today when more figures are released by the Independent National Electoral Commission and there is more clarity on the margin of victory across the poll units and wards nationwide.

Based on the voting patterns in the north and south, it is widely believed that the voter turnout in different sections of the country and voting margins will determine if there is an outright winner after the first ballot, or a possible run-off will be required to decide the winner of the presidential election.

For a victor to emerge from a presidential election, the constitution requires that the candidate must score the highest number of votes at the poll and secure 25 percent of the votes cast in at least 24 states in the federation.

Irrespective of which of the candidates emerges victorious from the first or second ballot, he would have to work twice as hard to heal the rift that the last 12 months and the election might have wrought on Nigeria, as reports from several states in the north indicated that religious sentiments played a huge role in yesterday’s election.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by EzeUche(m): 6:41am On Apr 17, 2011
Of course they did. The North has always voted along regional and religious lines ever since Nigeria gained its independence.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 1:08pm On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

Of course they did. The North has always voted along regional and religious lines ever since Nigeria gained its independence.

No they haven't, unless you're saying Obasanjo is from the north.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by sbeezy8: 1:13pm On Apr 17, 2011
Dumb thread south has the same voting pattern but atleast the north voted mko nd obj. The south voted for obj in 2004
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Akainzo(m): 1:16pm On Apr 17, 2011
EzeUche:

And along which line did the SW chanting CHANGE in their support for ACN and Ribadu vote, when ACN could not even win a single ward in the entire Lagos! What made them abandon their party? Money, Religion or North/South sentiments?  EVen ACN lost in Tinubu's ward, what does that tell you?

It is hypocrisy to accuse others of the same offence you are guilty of. But unlike the SS and SE, did you see how the North was still voting GEJ despite him being a Southerner & Christian! Compare it to the votes coming out from the SS & SE. It clearly shows that the South is the one that has this Religious/Ethnic mentality.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 1:45pm On Apr 17, 2011
Akainzo:

And along which line did the SW chanting CHANGE in their support for ACN and Ribadu vote, when ACN could not even win a single ward in the entire Lagos! What made them abandon their party? Money, Religion or North/South sentiments?  EVen ACN lost in Tinubu's ward, what does that tell you?

It is hypocrisy to accuse others of the same offence you are guilty of. But unlike the SS and SE, did you see how the North was still voting GEJ despite him being a Southerner & Christian! Compare it to the votes coming out from the SS & SE. It clearly shows that the South is the one that has this Religious/Ethnic mentality.

Those who voted GEJ whether in the North or South did it because they think he's the right man for the job. It's got nothing to do with his state of origin or religion. You people need to stop with your ethnic politics.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Kobojunkie: 1:47pm On Apr 17, 2011
yomijnr:

Those who voted GEJ whether in the North or South did it because they think he's the right man for the job. It's got nothing to do with his state of origin or religion. You people need to stop with your ethnic politics.

Not true.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 1:49pm On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Not true.
Based on what exactly? If you've got an opinion let's hear it
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Apr 17, 2011
yomijnr:

Based on what exactly? If you've got an opinion let's hear it

Exhibit A

1luvkipsus:

my vote 4 GEJ was purely because of 'd percieved hand of God in d whole thing',because i believe in divinity.

That PDP 'has not performed in 12yrs' does not mean GEJ can not perform in 4 yrs,he can if he wants & dats why i say he must perform or he faces mass revolt.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 1:53pm On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Exhibit A

How exactly does that make what I said earlier not true?, unless you do not understand English
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by superboi(m): 1:56pm On Apr 17, 2011
yomijnr:

That not true for most southerners too. Is someone like Pat Utomi not better for the Job than Jonathan? Most southerners voted Goodluck because he is from the south. IMHO if he wins, it is another blown 4  years for Nigeria as a Nation. I hope I am wrong sha!!
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Kobojunkie: 1:59pm On Apr 17, 2011
yomijnr:

How exactly does that make what I said earlier not true?, unless you do not understand English

You could not read the bolded portion of that post with the voter telling you he/she voted purely on religion Are you sure I am the one with the problem with language here??
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 2:02pm On Apr 17, 2011
superboi:

That not true for most southerners too. Is someone like Pat Utomi not better for the Job than Jonathan? Most southerners voted Goodluck because he is from the south. IMHO if he wins, it is another blown 4  years for Nigeria as a Nation. I hope I am wrong sha!!

First of all, Pat Utomi dropped out of the race weeks ago.  Secondly, I said based on what they 'think'.  And the fact that Pat Utomi is a brilliant economist doesn't necessarily make him good presidential material.  For starters he's obviously not a good politician.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by yomijnr(m): 2:06pm On Apr 17, 2011
Kobojunkie:

You could not read the bolded portion of that post with the voter telling you he/she voted purely on religion Are you sure I am the one with the problem with language here??

I read it and unless you're saying God is from a  particular tribe or that only christians worship God, then your 'exhibit A' is irrelevant. You're yet to convince me that you actually understand English.
Re: North Voted Along Regional, Religious Lines. Shekina by Kobojunkie: 2:09pm On Apr 17, 2011
**** Yikes****

stepping away now!! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Akainzo:

It is hypocrisy to accuse others of the same offence you are guilty of. [b] But unlike the SS and SE, did you see how the North was still voting GEJ despite him being a Southerner & Christian! [/b]Compare it to the votes coming out from the SS & SE. It clearly shows that the South is the one that has this Religious/Ethnic mentality.

I noticed that . . . . PDP was neck and neck with CPC in some states. Even other Northern Parties with muslim candidates did not come close

(1) (Reply)

Amabassador Cambell On The Presidential Elections / The Georgia Guidestones And 10 Commandments Of The New World Order. / Behold Naija's 1st Family And The First Lady

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.