Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,754 members, 7,813,481 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

Questions On The Bible - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Questions On The Bible (1902 Views)

16 Ways To Choose A Wife, According To The Bible / Catholicism's SHOCKING Attitude Toward The Bible! / Is This Where Jesus Endorsed Asoebi In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:26pm On Apr 03, 2021
Hello and good evening everyone, I'm an atheist and agnostic as well so I've been searching on many religions to find the real one( if there is any) and to unravel a few mysteries as regards creation so I have a few questions to ask and I will be glad if I get some answers.

So since this is the Easter period I have a few questions to ask the Christians...

1) why did god send his son (Jesus) to come and die on Earth??
Re: Questions On The Bible by lilvicky68(m): 7:28pm On Apr 03, 2021
Jesus accepted to die for our sins
Re: Questions On The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:33pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:
Hello and good evening everyone, I'm an atheist and agnostic as well so I've been searching on many religions to find the real one( if there is any) and to unravel a few mysteries as regards creation so I have a few questions to ask and I will be glad if I get some answers.

So since this is the Easter period I have a few questions to ask the Christians...

Many of those who were sent before Him were murdered in similar way by those who God has set to teach His people about God, so it is not rocket science that He too would end up with similar fate, yet the New Covenant which He was the embodiment of , had to be delivered to the world of men regardless. undecided
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:36pm On Apr 03, 2021
lilvicky68:
Jesus accepted to die for our sins

what did Jesus dieing for "our sins" achieve??

there's still "sin" in the world and people would still go to hell.

3 Likes

Re: Questions On The Bible by lilvicky68(m): 7:37pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

what did Jesus dieing for "our sins" achieve??

there's still "sin" in the world and people would still go to hell.
At least not everyone
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:39pm On Apr 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Many of those who were sent before Him were murdered in similar way by those who God has set to teach His people about God, so it is not rocket science that He too would end up with similar fate, yet the New Covenant which He was the embodiment of , had to be delivered to the world of men regardless. undecided

so wait god couldn't protect Jesus from death or he already wanted him to die??
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:39pm On Apr 03, 2021
lilvicky68:
At least not everyone
so everyone would have gone to hell if Jesus hadn't died??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

so wait god couldn't protect Jesus from death or he already wanted him to die?
What did He need to protect Him for? undecided

I already told you that many before Him were killed and so He knew that He would also die. undecided
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
What did He need to protect Him for? undecided

so he wanted him to die??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:42pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

so he wanted him to die??
Again...
Kobojunkie:
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 7:44pm On Apr 03, 2021
Kobojunkie:
Again...

so jesus's dieing on the cross was out of pure hardluck and not Divine to save men from sin as y'all say??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Kobojunkie: 7:53pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

so jesus's dieing on the cross was out of pure hardluck and not Divine to save men from sin as y'all say??
Again....
Kobojunkie:
Re: Questions On The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 8:05pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:
Hello

To give man Another Opportunity to Escape His Anger for man was and is Greatly Annoying Him!
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 8:06pm On Apr 03, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

To give man Another Opportunity to Escape His Anger for man was and is Greatly Annoying Him!

so god can't control his anger?
Re: Questions On The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 8:26pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

so god can't control his anger?

Is Patience and Endurance Supposed to Last Forever?

Have you seen Anyone who can bear unending pain and continuous suffering for as long as He has Done and Does?

If you yourself want to receive love is it unreasonable to give love?

Is one sided love ever acceptable?

Has He not Loved enough for Him to get Love in Return?

If you want love would it not be good to soothe His Pain and Suffering at the least?

Or is it Good to continue to hurt and wound a Person simply because His Endurance is Long?

Is it not The Law An eye for an eye therefore A Hurt for a hurt?

Now if a person hurts you and you did not hurt back is that not good?

But can it be said that since you did not take your hurt back, the person is free from paying you that hurt ever again?
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 8:30pm On Apr 03, 2021
Dtruthspeaker:

Is Patience and Endurance Supposed to Last Forever?

Have you seen Anyone who can bear unending pain and continuous suffering for as long as He has Done and Does?

If you yourself want to receive love is it unreasonable to give love?

Is one sided love ever acceptable?

Has He not Loved enough for Him to get Love in Return?

If you want love would it not be good to soothe His Pain and Suffering at the least?

Or is it Good to continue to hurt and wound a Person simply because His Endurance is Long?

Is it not The Law An eye for an eye therefore A Hurt for a hurt?

Now if a person hurts you and you did not hurt back is that not good?

But can it be said that since you did not take your hurt back, the person is free from paying you that hurt ever again?

so god sent his son to die for me and o said I don't want him or any of his religions I just want to be on my own so he'll send me to perpetual suffering forever cause of that??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Dtruthspeaker: 8:34pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

so god sent his son to die for me and o said I don't want him or any of his religions I just want to be on my own so he'll send me to perpetual suffering forever cause of that??

You go to lake of fire to pay for the debts Owed Others as a result of the Unpaid and Unremedied Pain and And Suffering you gave them!
Re: Questions On The Bible by Jman24(m): 8:39pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

Meehn.
I keep saying it. Religion gives credence to atheism.
But I refuse to be an atheist grin

1 Like

Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 8:46pm On Apr 03, 2021
Jman24:

Meehn. I keep saying it. Religion gives credence to atheism. But I refuse to be an atheist grin
what's your point sir??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Jman24(m): 8:48pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

what's your point sir??

Don't worry about me. Worry about religious folks
Re: Questions On The Bible by Ihedinobi3: 8:51pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

Hi there.

I applaud your words. I encourage everyone to seek the truth and be sure of it. The trouble, of course, is when people really aren't seeking the truth but rather are looking for some excuse to reject it. But as unfortunate as that is, it is really each person's responsibility and right to deal with the truth as he or she pleases. I try to avoid infringing on anybody's right to believe or not believe whatever they want.

So, bear with me if I don't make it my responsibility to make my answers acceptable to you. I will give answers that I am convinced are true and defend them to the best of my ability under the constraint of the circumstances of our conversation, but in the end, I don't presume to be able to make you accept anything I say. You alone can choose what you will or will not believe for reasons that appeal to you.

Regarding your question, God sent Jesus to come and die for our sins because sin must be paid for in order for God to be just and God must spare the sinner in order for Him to be merciful.

It is easy for atheists today to pontificate about forgiveness, but not a single one will consider the law that exacts punishment for bad deeds a bad thing when it is they who suffer a crime. For example, if someone were to rape your infant daughter to death, I am pretty sure that you would not consider forgiveness to be the right answer or response to the crime even if the rapist were to apologize for it.

Sin is disobedience to God, a violation of His Will for the Universe that He created. The Universe belongs to Him. Whenever we sin, we abuse it in some way. That abuse must be paid for or else God would not be just. An unjust God is an impossibility. A God Who is unjust is imperfect. Imperfection cannot self-exist. Therefore, it is a contradiction for God to be unjust.

However, God is also merciful by nature. If He was vindictive, then He couldn't be loving. If He isn't loving, then He would not create a universe that would depend on Him in every single way for its very existence. Therefore, the very existence of creation contradicts the existence of an unloving God. God must be loving or else He would abide eternally alone.

Since God is both loving and just, He must forgive sinners while punishing sin. He cannot excuse sin but He also will not destroy sinners without offering them an escape from just punishment.

Therefore, God provided a bridge, a sacrifice in the Person of Jesus Christ Who Himself is God but also became Man so that as Man He could legally bear the responsibility for man's crimes against God while also making it unnecessary for God to punish the rest of His brothers and sisters for said crimes.

This, then, is why Jesus Christ was given by the Lord God to die for man's sins: so that God could forgive all sinners while ensuring that His Justice is served.

1 Like

Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 8:56pm On Apr 03, 2021
Jman24:

Don't worry about me. Worry about religious folks
lol I worry about everyone sir that's why I'm human.
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2021
Ihedinobi3:

Hi there.

I applaud your words. I encourage everyone to seek the truth and be sure of it. The trouble, of course, is when people really aren't seeking the truth but rather are looking for some excuse to reject it. But as unfortunate as that is, it is really each person's responsibility and right to deal with the truth as he or she pleases. I try to avoid infringing on anybody's right to believe or not believe whatever they want.

So, bear with me if I don't make it my responsibility to make my answers acceptable to you. I will give answers that I am convinced are true and defend them to the best of my ability under the constraint of the circumstances of our conversation, but in the end, I don't presume to be able to make you accept anything I say. You alone can choose what you will or will not believe for reasons that appeal to you.

Regarding your question, God sent Jesus to come and die for our sins because sin must be paid for in order for God to be just and God must spare the sinner in order for Him to be merciful.

It is easy for atheists today to pontificate about forgiveness, but not a single one will consider the law that exacts punishment for bad deeds a bad thing when it is they who suffer a crime. For example, if someone were to rape your infant daughter to death, I am pretty sure that you would not consider forgiveness to be the right answer or response to the crime even if the rapist were to apologize for it.

Sin is disobedience to God, a violation of His Will for the Universe that He created. The Universe belongs to Him. Whenever we sin, we abuse it in some way. That abuse must be paid for or else God would not be just. An unjust God is an impossibility. A God Who is unjust is imperfect. Imperfection cannot self-exist. Therefore, it is a contradiction for God to be unjust.

However, God is also merciful by nature. If He was vindictive, then He couldn't be loving. If He isn't loving, then He would not create a universe that would depend on Him in every single way for its very existence. Therefore, the very existence of creation contradicts the existence of an unloving God. God must be loving or else He would abide eternally alone.

Since God is both loving and just, He must forgive sinners while punishing sin. He cannot excuse sin but He also will not destroy sinners without offering them an escape from just punishment.

Therefore, God provided a bridge, a sacrifice in the Person of Jesus Christ Who Himself is God but also became Man so that as Man He could legally bear the responsibility for man's crimes against God while also making it unnecessary for God to punish the rest of His brothers and sisters for said crimes.

This, then, is why Jesus Christ was given by the Lord God to die for man's sins: so that God could forgive all sinners while ensuring that His Justice is served.

this is quite long but I managed to read through. thanks for caring enough to explain that much sir.

answering to what you said I think I would be unfair to equate raping a little girl to me not accepting to be in a religion, which according to Christianity rape isn't so much of a crime as the punishment doesn't seem much of a punishment ( I'll add the Bible verse when I remember) which if a man rapes a woman he's expected to pay her bride price and marry her, so that means a woman can be raped and then forcibly married of to her rapist. sounds illogical right??

secondly, if God is love he really should understand that I just need to be on my own and not have anything to do with him is that too much to ask?? (P.s. this is just for explanatory purposes only as I do not believe in his existence).
Re: Questions On The Bible by Ihedinobi3: 9:16pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

this is quite long but I managed to read through. thanks for caring enough to explain that much sir.

answering to what you said I think I would be unfair to equate raping a little girl to me not accepting to be in a religion, which according to Christianity rape isn't so much of a crime as the punishment doesn't seem much of a punishment ( I'll add the Bible verse when I remember) which if a man rapes a woman he's expected to pay her bride price and marry her, so that means a woman can be raped and then forcibly married of to her rapist. sounds illogical right??

secondly, if God is love he really should understand that I just need to be on my own and not have anything to do with him is that too much to ask?? (P.s. this is just for explanatory purposes only as I do not believe in his existence).

I don't think I could agree that there is a false equivalence there.

First, the issue is that sin is a crime against God just as rape of your infant daughter is a crime against you. That is the whole point. If you disagree, then I must ask you what you think that sin is and why you think that it is what you think it is. That is where the equivalence lies.

Second, rejecting a religion is neither here nor there since Christianity neither professes to be a religion nor accepts that it is one. It is only an offer of reconciliation to the God against whom we rebelled. If you accept the offer, you are reinstated into His family as His child. If you don't, you remain His enemy.

Third, is this a small matter that one insists on remaining God's enemy? I think that you can judge that. If you insist on being left to your own self, as you went on to say, then that is exactly what God will do to you. The Lake of Fire is God's acceptance of the free will choice of His rebellious creatures to be cut off from Him eternally.

The problem here is that people who make that choice appear to fail to appreciate that it actually means that you reject all of God's good gifts as well. You can't live in God's House while insisting that He leave you alone. If you don't want Him, then you cannot live in His house too. The Lake of Fire is where God will not "be." Nothing of His will be there except His absolute rejection of those who reject Him. If anyone does not like that, then they must turn around and accept His mercy. There is no other alternative.

As for the matter of the Mosaic laws about rape, it is a different conversation. Please see this link and the subsequent discussion for my position on the matter.
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 9:21pm On Apr 03, 2021
Ihedinobi3:

I don't think I could agree that there is a false equivalence there.

First, the issue is that sin is a crime against God just as rape of your infant daughter is a crime against you. That is the whole point. If you disagree, then I must ask you what you think that sin is and why you think that it is what you think it is. That is where the equivalence lies.

Second, rejecting a religion is neither here nor there since Christianity neither professes to be a religion nor accepts that it is one. It is only an offer of reconciliation to the God against whom we rebelled. If you accept the offer, you are reinstated into His family as His child. If you don't, you remain His enemy.

Third, is this a small matter that one insists on remaining God's enemy? I think that you can judge that. If you insist on being left to your own self, as you went on to say, then that is exactly what God will do to you. The Lake of Fire is God's acceptance of the free will choice of His rebellious creatures to be cut off from Him eternally.

The problem here is that people who make that choice appear to fail to appreciate that it actually means that you reject all of God's good gifts as well. You can't live in God's House while insisting that He leave you alone. If you don't want Him, then you cannot live in His house too. The Lake of Fire is where God will not "be." Nothing of His will be there except His absolute rejection of those who reject Him. If anyone does not like that, then they must turn around and accept His mercy. There is no other alternative.

As for the matter of the Mosaic laws about rape, it is a different conversation. Please see this link and the subsequent discussion for my position on the matter.

lemme reiterate, those soldiers fighting for their country love their country and hate the other country so god loved the Israelites and hated the jebusites?? this is what I was pointing at.

secondly I don't ever remember rebelling against god, do you??

p.s don't quote Romans 8:23 "for all have sined" cause not all have sined. a day old baby hasn't signed against anyone so that verse is technically not correct.
Re: Questions On The Bible by Ihedinobi3: 9:25pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

lemme reiterate, those soldiers fighting for their country love their country and hate the other country so god loved the Israelites and hated the jebusites?? this is what I was pointing at.

secondly I don't ever remember rebelling against god, do you??

p.s don't quote Romans 8:23 "for all have sined" cause not all have sined. a day old baby hasn't signed against anyone so that verse is technically not correct.

The Bible does say that God is always angry with the wicked. Considering the wickedness of the Canaanites, even wicked human beings like us would be happy to be rid of them. I don't see why we should think that God would be different from us in that regard.

As for rebelling against God, I do remember doing so. Every time that I choose to act contrary to Him, I am rebelling against Him. You seem by your own words to actually prefer that path, so I am puzzled by your claim that you don't remember doing so.

Finally, I'm afraid I can't take your word for it that not all have sinned. I see no reason to believe that day-old infants don't sin just because you claim that they don't, do you?
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 9:29pm On Apr 03, 2021
Ihedinobi3:

The Bible does say that God is always angry with the wicked. Considering the wickedness of the Canaanites, even wicked human beings like us would be happy to be rid of them. I don't see why we should think that God would be different from us in that regard.

As for rebelling against God, I do remember doing so. Every time that I choose to act contrary to Him, I am rebelling against Him. You seem by your own words to actually prefer that path, so I am puzzled by your claim that you don't remember doing so.

Finally, I'm afraid I can't take your word for it that not all have sinned. I see no reason to believe that day-old infants don't sin just because you claim that they don't, do you?

what sin have you seen a day old commit before??
be logical.....
just cause your bible said all have seen you want to push the agenda that day olds sin??

1 Like

Re: Questions On The Bible by Ihedinobi3: 9:35pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

be logical.....
just cause your bible said all have seen you want to push the agenda that day olds sin??

Let me say again: I have the right to believe anything I wish to believe just as you yourself do too. I won't believe something just because you said it. If you don't like that, I'm not going to feel bad just because you don't. I will believe what the Bible says because I trust the Bible. I don't need your permission to do so.
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 9:41pm On Apr 03, 2021
Ihedinobi3:

Let me say again: I have the right to believe anything I wish to believe just as you yourself do too. I won't believe something just because you said it. If you don't like that, I'm not going to feel bad just because you don't. I will believe what the Bible says because I trust the Bible. I don't need your permission to do so.

the bible accepted and encouraged slavery, so your trust for the bible will make you accept it as well??
Re: Questions On The Bible by Jman24(m): 10:02pm On Apr 03, 2021
FirstSon01:

be logical.....

This question is giving some people serious hard time to answer

1 Like

Re: Questions On The Bible by Jman24(m): 10:04pm On Apr 03, 2021
Ihedinobi3:

Come on .. it's a forum. Nobody is taking away your right to believe what you wanna believe.
But you can do well by not shying away from certain questions like biblical Jesus
Re: Questions On The Bible by FirstSon01: 10:16pm On Apr 03, 2021
Jman24:

This question is giving some people serious hard time to answer
lol he'll say something delusional soon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Help,gathering Snails In Dream,what Does It Mean? / What Has Happened To This Section? Even The Mods Are AWOL? Thanks, Seun! / Who Is This Allah ? Is Allah The God Of The Bible??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.