Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,530 members, 7,843,635 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 09:04 AM

Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? (647 Views)

APC Would Make A Difference In Governance Of Nigeria – Amaechi / Jonathan Can Afford To Ignore Boko Haram - Cynical Politics / Clark - Jonathan Can Not Be Stopped In 2015 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? by maclatunji: 9:39am On Apr 18, 2011
Irrespective of objections raised, it is obvious that President Jonathan is about to be declared winner of the Presidential election. Many who voted for him say they voted for his personality and not his party.

I do not think this argument carries much weight because the President has not shown strong character in my opinion and it seems he has made several concessions in order to win this election. These concessions I believe will ensure that he is the weakest President Nigeria has had probably since Ex-President Shehu Shagari. I would really like to know the thinking of those who voted for him regarding this issue. Of course other opinions are also welcome.
Re: Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? by blacksta(m): 9:52am On Apr 18, 2011
How you seperate popularity and Pdp party labelled a mere arrangement of self centred personalities with an sole aim of maintaining access to power at all cost. I would be interested to know.

Popularity does not automatically translate to effectiveness
Re: Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? by maclatunji: 10:00am On Apr 18, 2011
^^^ I think if you calmed down a little bit, I could understand you better.
Re: Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? by Xfactoria: 11:22am On Apr 18, 2011
maclatunji:

Irrespective of objections raised, it is obvious that President Jonathan is about to be declared winner of the Presidential election. Many who voted for him say they voted for his personality and not his party.

I do not think this argument carries much weight because the President has not shown strong character in my opinion and it seems he has made several concessions in order to win this election. These concessions I believe will ensure that he is the weakest President Nigeria has had probably since Ex-President Shehu Shagari. I would really like to know the thinking of those who voted for him regarding this issue. Of course other opinions are also welcome.

@Maclatunji:

Yes, I think so. I will ask you to take an objective look at the history of PDP and the Presidents they have produced since 1999. You will find out that the party is whatever the sitting President who is the leader of the party makes of it. OBJ's do or die politics was the reason why PDP was involved in a lot of devilish acts during and immediately after it tenure. During OBJ's time, we had high profile political killings and all sorts of electoral frauds that the courts were not courageous enough to upturn like they did under Yar'adua/Jonathan because the latter have committed themselves to allowing the governance of the rule of law. Even though they did one or two things the old way, it was not the same as OBJ's PDP. I do not know of any high profile political assassinations ( a culture brought about by OBJ's PDP) during the Yar'adua's days or even now under GEJ. The changes in the current PDP as regards disposition to elections are quite significant. Yes, they are still managing some problems which were obviously OBJ's legacies e.g. intra-party crisis and substituting names of candidates etc but there will definitely be changes permeated down to  the rank and file of the party by the sitting President.

Make no mistake, the Nigerian President is the most powerful Nigerian on earth and whoever has the honour of being so called at anytime would understand that, no matter how clueless you think the person is. Can you remember how Jonathan sent EFCC after Ibori?? This was after he was reminded by Danjuma that he is not only the President, HE IS ALSO IN POWER! While, I'm sure GEJ will remain grateful to some old horses in the party, I am convinced that he would be able to manage them to the benefit of Nigerians especially now that he got his mandate from the people and not from any godfather.
Re: Do You Think President Jonathan Can Be Successful In Governance With The PDP? by maclatunji: 1:44pm On Apr 19, 2011
X-factoria:

@Maclatunji:

Yes, I think so. I will ask you to take an objective look at the history of PDP and the Presidents they have produced since 1999. You will find out that the party is whatever the sitting President who is the leader of the party makes of it. OBJ's do or die politics was the reason why PDP was involved in a lot of devilish acts during and immediately after it tenure. During OBJ's time, we had high profile political killings and all sorts of electoral frauds that the courts were not courageous enough to upturn like they did under Yar'adua/Jonathan because the latter have committed themselves to allowing the governance of the rule of law. Even though they did one or two things the old way, it was not the same as OBJ's PDP. I do not know of any high profile political assassinations ( a culture brought about by OBJ's PDP) during the Yar'adua's days or even now under GEJ. The changes in the current PDP as regards disposition to elections are quite significant. Yes, they are still managing some problems which were obviously OBJ's legacies e.g. intra-party crisis and substituting names of candidates etc but there will definitely be changes permeated down to  the rank and file of the party by the sitting President.

Make no mistake, the Nigerian President is the most powerful Nigerian on earth and whoever has the honour of being so called at anytime would understand that, no matter how clueless you think the person is. Can you remember how Jonathan sent EFCC after Ibori?? This was after he was reminded by Danjuma that he is not only the President, HE IS ALSO IN POWER! While, I'm sure GEJ will remain grateful to some old horses in the party, I am convinced that he would be able to manage them to the benefit of Nigerians especially now that he got his mandate from the people and not from any godfather.

Interesting. However, I get the feeling that he is always waiting for his advisers before taking decisions. Let us take yesterday as an example-parts of the north were literally burning and he as the sitting President did not come-out to make it categorically clear that he would not take such rubbish irrespective of what the issue is/was and whoever is involved.

I expected him to deploy the military on the streets in combination of riot police. Then call for a National Council of State meeting today with or without Gen. Buhari's attendance to thrash-out the issues coming out of the election. Instead we were getting calls for Buhari to call his supporters to order. Are those people suggesting that if Buhari wants to make Nigeria ungovernable, the President will not be able to do anything about it or what? Ironically, many of these people work for the President directly or indirectly.

If Buhari sees that there is no point in violent protests he will look at other options to address his grievances (many of which I think are legitimate).

(1) (Reply)

Buhari's Political Naivity Cost Him This Election / Jonathan's Win Good For Nigeria's Economy: "cpc Protests Inconsequential" / Ribadu-atiku-fail-to-vote-in-adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.