Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,812 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:00 PM

My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad (20728 Views)

Xenophobia: View Of A Nigerian Living In SA / 15 Things Nigerians Miss While Living Abroad / The Truth About Living Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by princeonx: 12:45am On Apr 22, 2011
maybe he want to use the leather for a couch cool
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 12:58am On Apr 22, 2011
[s]maybe he want to use the leather for a couch cool[/s]

Maybe, I will think so if his parents had no house  grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Babypinkyz(f): 1:03am On Apr 22, 2011
Hahaha
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by lastpage: 2:08am On Apr 22, 2011
What do you expect? grin grin

You work non-stop for one year then you go visit Nigeria on holidays, just for two weeks.

In those two weeks, you spend ALL you suffered and saved for, IN THE LAST ONE YEAR! shocked shocked

You "blew" money like it is picked on the floor in Trafalgar square! cry

You thought YOU WERE SHOWING-OFF or SHOWING SAY "YOU DON ARRIVE"!

But in actual sense, YOU ARE DIGGING YOUR OWN GRAVE! grin shocked

Yes, Work two jobs or more, send the money home, after-all, YOU MUST SUSTAIN THE IMAGE YOU CREATED! wink wink

When you die at 45yrs of age, those you are sending money to, are just beginning to enjoy life!

S-I-M-P-L-E-S grin grin

I just dey laugh!

BTW: @jookcol
My people don't give me pressure to send money but I don't really sleep if I fail to send them money at the end of the month, so I will rather send it and have rest of mind because I fill guilty if I do not.

Tell me the truth, did ANY of these "your people" ever "sew cloth and send it to you and you wore it"?
If your answer is YES! You need to Google the phrase "Yahoo-Plus-Plus"! sad sad

Sorry if it sounds rude but its a "serious mater", walahi!
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by henwun(m): 4:25am On Apr 22, 2011
Where are my naija bros, they are not participating on this issues, think they gt nothing to say about this, common guy we need your opinion what can we do to cut this crap up going on . Your suggestion would be very much appreciated
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by finemocha(f): 5:00am On Apr 22, 2011
the weather
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Soundmyn3(m): 5:27am On Apr 22, 2011
@ thread poster, It seems to me that U'r a nice guy, Pls keep it up!
I'll suggest that U teach them how to 'fish' Arrange for sometin that can generate income for them.
I've been there!
Ciao
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 5:57am On Apr 22, 2011
N.Delta that is just natural. It also depends on how you try to
"advertise" so to speak, your lifestyle. Some who go abroad like to
show off and then act surprised when they are 'begged'. Others are
victims of circumstance and it just so happens that ppl they know
may or may not know anything about foreign countries and actually
believe to live abroad means to have money. Just take it as it comes with
the territory.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:16am On Apr 22, 2011
@OP, I suggest you put them on a stipend every other month, its their business how they choose to spend it. If they are wise, they will learn to save when they don't need it. Change your numbers and contact them from public pay phones to let them know you sent them something. The needs of humans are insatiable. They were surviving before you left.

Be Wise.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by switosman(m): 8:17am On Apr 22, 2011
Pple beg for money from persons' they think are well off. its not only from persons' abroad. I get calls for help, I get calls for loans and I give when I can or I give what I can forfeit. so poster don't pretend you are not nigerian, its an everyday thing. just know when to say no because a lot of pple asking you for money are calling you a fool behind your back.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nugwax(m): 8:38am On Apr 22, 2011
Where are my naija  bros, they are not participating on this issues,  think they gt nothing to say about this, common guy we need your opinion what can we do to cut this crap up going on . Your  suggestion would be very much appreciated

like one poster said:
you are so unfortunate. Others I know receive money in large sums from relatives in Nigeria, yours is the opposite. awwww. pele.

If you know any banker in the north (I reside in northern Nigeria) ask what the difference between foreign exchange out flow and in flow is. People here send more money to their kids, siblings and friends more than they receive. The send money for their up keep, send money for them to buy things and send down. I have a domiciliary ( foreign currency denominated accounts) and there is no single international inflow. I`ve only received western union twice, both times it was to help a friend/business partner meet his financial obligation. Most people that I know in this part of Nigeria don`t travel abroad to look for greener pastures. Their families are comfortable in Nigeria and that is why they can afford to travel there in the first place. I`ve spent some time in some states in the south before and i have friends that live there, I know the situation may be different there. Before we all start screaming and calling me names (tribalism, ethnic bla bla bla), I`m not a northerner, I just gave a northern Nigerian perspective which is different from what most people on this thread experience.
  I have friends that are in the West and then when we in Naija couldn`t shop online, I used to ask them to help me buy certain items that I couldn`t get then (books, electronic components, circuit diagrams, payment for services etc), They hardly helped, this thread now made me understand why they hardly helped. Now, I feel bad for asking, so even my school son from back in secondary school probably think I was just been the regular naija pest for asking him to buy a book I couldn`t get here. I was probably no99 on his request list.
  That said, Naija is a third world country, a greater percentage live on less than $2 a day, I think that explains why we seem to always bug you guys over there. A number of those requests are genuine, a whole lot of others are not. As for request for business funds, I think we should ask for a business plan, see if it is viable, ask for repayment plan and duration, if you can afford to give the loan, go ahead (if you trust the person), you`ll be surprised what that would do. Teach a Man to fish,
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 22, 2011
switosman:

Pple beg for money from persons' they think are well off. its not only from persons' abroad. I get calls for help, I get calls for loans and I give when I can or I give what I can forfeit. so poster don't pretend you are not nigerian, its an everyday thing. just know when to say no because a lot of pple asking you for money are calling you a fool behind your back.
There was a day a friend of mine asked his younger brother to borrow money from me. I gave it to him and decided to follow him to see my friend. I was far behind but got into hearing distance for me to hear him ask his brother 'maga pay you?'
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by leonaidas(m): 8:54am On Apr 22, 2011
Most of you guys outside the country give us the impression that you are very comfortable, hence the demand. I have a friend who confided in me that he works in a paint factory and two other low paying jobs. Yet when he came home last christmas, he was dispensing money like a faulty ATM. One of my other friends that just left for America in january has been uploading some fine pictures on facebook, which suggests he's living fine but he doesn't even have a job yet.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 22, 2011
leonaidas:

Most of you guys outside the country give us the impression that you are very comfortable, hence the demand. I have a friend who confided in me that he works in a paint factory and two other low paying jobs. Yet when he came home last christmas, he was dispensing money like a faulty ATM. One of my other friends that just left for America in january has been uploading some fine pictures on facebook, which suggests he's living fine but he doesn't even have a job yet.
You're right, bottom line is the low in developed countries, are way on top of the poverty line. Minimum wage magic. A friend of mine that travelled this year rented a bed sitter, on getting there, the place was furnished to fit a bourgeois. He even had his fridge stuffed to the brim. When his first pictures came online, they were amazing and the guy was already looking fresh. . . two days after he landed.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by justwise(m): 9:16am On Apr 22, 2011
blink182:

You're right, bottom line is the low in developed countries, are way on top of the poverty line. Minimum wage magic. A friend of mine that travelled this year rented a bed sitter, on getting there, the place was furnished to fit a bourgeois. He even had his fridge stuffed to the brim. When his first pictures came online, they were amazing and the guy was already looking fresh. . . two days after he landed.

Exaggeration
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:18am On Apr 22, 2011
justwise:

Exaggeration
It is not my dear, take it or leave it.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by justwise(m): 9:21am On Apr 22, 2011
blink182:

It is not my dear, take it or leave it.

If u really believed that then u will believe anything. Did they pump him at the airport?
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 22, 2011
justwise:

If u really believed that then u will believe anything. Did they pump him at the airport?
Lol, I beg no kill me with laugh. I said fresh, cleaned up, cuter not fat. I used fresh not in the context of fat. Sorry for the confusion.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by justwise(m): 9:31am On Apr 22, 2011
blink182:

Lol, I beg no kill me with laugh. I said fresh, cleaned up, cuter not fat. I used fresh not in the context of fat. Sorry for the confusion.

Ok. lets give credit to the camera he used in taking those pic then.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by 190: 9:41am On Apr 22, 2011
grin grin grin grin
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by alisigwe(m): 10:07am On Apr 22, 2011
All of una wey dey america too dey complain,na only book una sabi,una no get mind to hammer,na only to hide under computer dey debate rubbish,homeboys wey dey austra and other smallercountries dey come back paint the town red,una wey dey yankee and england go come back dey wear suit looking overfeed as hell.yeah i said it.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:12am On Apr 22, 2011
alisigwe:

All of una wey dey america too dey complain,na only book una sabi,una no get mind to hammer,na only to hide under computer dey debate rubbish,homeboys wey dey austra and other smallercountries dey come back paint the town red,una wey dey yankee and england go come back dey wear suit looking overfeed as hell.yeah i said it.
grin grin grin grin grin

justwise:

Ok. lets give credit to the camera he used in taking those pic then.
This is his profile, he traveled january onome obodoovie, draw up your own conclusions.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:17am On Apr 22, 2011
Strangely, I don't get money requests from the little family and friends I have in Nigeria.

My money demands come from Nigerians I've known from Nairaland, who started chatting to me via YIM or Windows Live Messenger. Some start making demands within minutes of us chatting. One asked me to send him £100, as he wanted to start a business. He said he would pay me back with interest. When I politely declined, he verbally abused me, my late parents and grand parents. I was actually quite funny, I didn't get offended.

Some have asked me to send them cars, so they can sell on my behalf, and send me the profit. Yeah, right. It's all about how you deal with such demands. You gotta be firm, and quash such demands from the get go. Otherwise, your life will be made a misery.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by ordained(m): 10:20am On Apr 22, 2011
@OP, you amazed me, it seems to me that you have made up your mind already to stop sending money before pretending to seek for advice here,
This can be easily seen from your responses,
Being from N.Delta and probably from that tiny riverine community steeped in perpetual poverty, why not count yourself favoured to have escaped its scourge rather than blaming your family members for asking for financial favours from you,

All you need to do is strike a balance like some good-spirited fellows have adviced, of course you can't yield to every requests, some of them you should ignore, some you should send 50% or even less of their request, and for the ones very close to your heart, you should endeavor to help at time intervals that you are in control of,

A prayer for you from them will go a long way, I believe you know what to do.

LET US NOT WISH THAT THE LOAD IS LIGHTER BUT THAT OUR BACK IS STRONGER TO CARRY THE LOAD,

God Bless You.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:32am On Apr 22, 2011
Siena:

Strangely, I don't get money requests from the little family and friends I have in Nigeria.

My money demands come from Nigerians I've known from Nairaland, who started chatting to me via YIM or Windows Live Messenger. Some start making demands within minutes of us chatting. One asked me to send him £100, as he wanted to start a business. He said he would pay me back with interest. When I politely declined, he verbally abused me, my late parents and grand parents. I was actually quite funny, I didn't get offended.

Some have asked me to send them cars, so they can sell on my behalf, and send me the profit. Yeah, right. It's all about how you deal with such demands. You gotta be firm, and quash such demands from the get go. Otherwise, your life will be made a misery.

With the kind of cars you claim to drive, them don see maga, its a good thing you didn't send anyone money. Some people are just here to defraud others. Its very pitiable and annoying
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by AndreUweh(m): 10:35am On Apr 22, 2011
alisigwe:

Most of those guys you feel that they have made it feel very insecure in those countries and will jump at any opportunity to relocate to the UK. Within 2 years now, I have assisted 3 blokes from Austria to settle in the U.K.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by hbrednic: 10:39am On Apr 22, 2011
ordained:

@OP, you amazed me, it seems to me that you have made up your mind already to stop sending money before pretending to seek for advice here,
This can be easily seen from your responses,
Being from N.Delta and probably from that tiny riverine community steeped in perpetual poverty, why not count yourself favoured to have escaped its scourge rather than blaming your family members for asking for financial favours from you,

All you need to do is strike a balance like some good-spirited fellows have adviced, of course you can't yield to every requests, some of them you should ignore, some you should send 50% or even less of their request, and for the ones very close to your heart, you should endeavor to help at time intervals that you are in control of,

A prayer for you from them will go a long way, I believe you know what to do.

LET US NOT WISH THAT THE LOAD IS LIGHTER BUT THAT OUR BACK IS STRONGER TO CARRY THE LOAD,

God Bless You.
GUY LET THE LOAD BE LIGHTER,I DONT NEED A HUNCH-BACK,4 WHAT
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Nobody: 10:42am On Apr 22, 2011
hbrednic:

GUY LET THE LOAD BE LIGHTER,I DONT NEED A HUNCH-BACK,4 WHAT
One man's pomo is another's tonzo. grin grin grin grin Though I prefer the lighter load. I will not live my life for people that are in no position to help me when I fall.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by badjack(m): 11:17am On Apr 22, 2011
All these people telling this young man not to give are all suckers. Is he going to live there forever? Oyibo is Oyibo. If you think that doing like them is you baby, go ahead. I promise you that you will fail.
GIve the genuine ones and explain to or promise those that are not genuine that it is not easy for you over there.That you dont make millions of dollars. African culture is built in a communal manner and as such it will always be. If you live alone because you are opportuned to go abroad, you have your self to blame when there is the need for them to help you out on something. NOBODY HAS MONOPOLY FOR GOOD THINGS.

1 Like

Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by DisGuy: 1:03pm On Apr 22, 2011
Siena:

[b]My money demands come from Nigerians I've known from Nairaland, [/b]who started chatting to me via YIM or Windows Live Messenger. Some start making demands within minutes of us chatting. One asked me to send him £100, as he wanted to start a business. He said he would pay me back with interest. When I politely declined, he verbally abused me, my late parents and grand parents. I was actually quite funny, I didn't get offended.

shocked shocked
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by Drums: 1:08pm On Apr 22, 2011
My brother, you really need to learn how to say NO. You will suprised all the kind investments the people you are  giving to have invested on back in Nigeria. Always know that you cannot satisfy them no matter how you give. Stop now and plan for yourself.
Re: My Biggest Challenge As A Nigerian Living Abroad by DisGuy: 1:10pm On Apr 22, 2011
This issue about people spending during Holidays, i don't get it,

is it natural to spend a bit more than usual when you go on holiday? irrespective of where you go you will spend more than you do on a regular basis
and going to Nigeria where a lot of people are around you it will be obvious, the money you will spend on souvenirs in other countries you will spend on people or entertainment in Nigeria

if you go to America, Canada ,Spain or Dubai for holiday you will spend more than usual in the few days you spend there and nobody accuse you of 'showing off'

holidays are not exactly cheap

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

River Kaduna In 2021 (Pictures, Video) / Aftermath Of Mt. Sumeru Volcanic Eruption That Killed 14 In Indonesia(Photos) / Mob Wakes Man Up After Beating Him To Stupor For Causing Accident In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.