Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,632 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 - Politics (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 (20816 Views)

Senators Exchange Blows As Biafra Mentioned / Drama As Biafra Agitators Take On Buhari At His Hotel In London / Catholic Priest Emerges Biafra-INEC Chairman, As Biafra Plans Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by AfroCynic: 10:01pm On Dec 21, 2007
LOl @ EmakaNaija,

The people that were {and still are }agitating for Biafra were Igbos, sure Ojukwu decided to carve up all Ijaw and other minority land into his so called country, The so called oppressed then flipped into the oppressor, I think they call it the paedophile syndrome.

I could care less who decides to do what, I love my country and I would rather keep it together but if we must part, so be it.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Nobody: 10:41pm On Dec 21, 2007
angry cool
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by EmekaNaija(m): 12:40am On Dec 22, 2007
The people that were {and still are }agitating for Biafra were Igbos, sure Ojukwu decided to carve up all Ijaw and other minority land into his so called country, The so called oppressed then flipped into the oppressor, I think they call it the paedophile syndrome.

@Afrocynic

Maybe you still do not understand my point. MASSOB agitating for Biafra cannot re-write history. MASSOB or Igbo agitation for Biafra still does not change the simple historic fact that Biafra as known in 1967 was the whole of former Eastern Nigeria. Biafra was led by Ojukwu - fact. Effiong (a non-Igbo) was 2nd in command - fact. I careless about more recent events. No matter how we try, one cannot change the past.

Biafra is long dead now but its ghost could still hunt us if its not buried properly.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by grafikdon: 11:10am On Dec 22, 2007
EmekaNaija:

@Afrocynic

Maybe you still do not understand my point. MASSOB agitating for Biafra cannot re-write history. MASSOB or Igbo agitation for Biafra still does not change the simple historic fact that Biafra as known in 1967 was the whole of former Eastern Nigeria. Biafra was led by Ojukwu - fact. Effiong (a non-Igbo) was 2nd in command - fact. I careless about more recent events. No matter how we try, one cannot change the past.

Biafra is long dead now but its ghost could still hunt us if its not buried properly.

And that, my friend, is the bottom line.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by AfroCynic: 3:09pm On Dec 22, 2007
@ EmekaNaija, perhaps I did not fully comprehend your point but for me Biafra has always been an Igbo issue and it still remains one, that the second in command to the megalomaniac that is Ojukwu happened to have been a non Igbo is an immaterial fact, as far as I am concerned.

I do however agree with you that the matter has not been fully resolved but this is Nigeria and nothing ever gets fully resolved, so hey,
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by ezeagu(m): 10:43pm On Jul 04, 2009
17 whole pages? embarassed
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by generalzango(m): 7:08am On Jul 05, 2009
U kids should,ask ur village elders on the Nigeria/biafran war,they saw HELL & now u kids want a flashback.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Ellyptical: 7:55am On Jul 05, 2009
Zango,
It's only in africa that secession is a taboo. That really gets me thinking. In europe, secession is a very simple and straightforward process. As simple as an election. Why is the case different in Africa?
Kindly get a life. Why do you want to hold a man who can stay afloat with you? Biafra knows it can stay afloat and it wants to let go of any weights so that it can float well but you want it to sink with you that is sinking.
You northerners have been in power for donkey years and are still the poorest of the poor in Nigeria. Leave us alone let us go.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Kobojunkie: 7:59am On Jul 05, 2009
I don't think they have to go as far as their village heads to know of how devastating the war was on the Ibos and innocent lives back then. Many of them only need to talk to their fathers and mothers who fought in the war. It was a terrible three or so years for those who lived close to the battle ground and had to live in fear and on next to nothing as a result.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Chiddysville(m): 8:18am On Jul 05, 2009
Thank God we are not cowards or hypocrites like the lazy loud mouthed yorubas. A yoruba man would prefer to run from his problems rather than face it squarely and solved it. Shame on them all. An aboki came to your land and killed your brother(Fajuyi) and all you people could do was to say thank you sir and started licking his dried faeces infested ass. Mandate that was given your brother, Mko. you people could not defend it but rather chose to run to the UK and US. Not surprised that majority of your women are the ones putting food on the table. It's time i stopped taking up issues with men who would put on skirts and blouses on seeing their enemy coming rather than fight them head on. Dumb asses. Abeg, any real man in the house?
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Ellyptical: 9:40am On Jul 05, 2009
@ Zango and Kobo,
Until we start slapping you guys that you guys will understand that we do not need you selfish sympathy. If anyone is to be afraid of war, it is we who suffered it. Don't give us reasons to back out of our secession move!
Why are you drinking our panadol for us?
If war is terrible, our elders have told us that it is!!!
Mind your business and leave us to choose the "terrible" war path . . .if need be!

You love us so much but love to kill us in the north. Then let us go so that you wont see us in the north. No! Now you tell us how bad war is . . right?
Is it more devastating than all the killings you guys do in the north which still happen to date? Is it more devastating than the pregnant woman you ripped her stomach apart and smashed her foetus on the mainroad in broad daylight?All in the name of Allah?
Kobo,
I always have this sympathy for you because you don't have this natural ability to choose directions. You are supporting Zango who will tomorrow slaughter us on the north again abi?
In war, people know there is no peace . But in these religious crises, what can you say?
Hypocrites!
Leave us alone. War is Devastating. WE ALL KNOW!!
Thanks!
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by fayahsoul: 3:10am On Jul 27, 2009
Your "one nigeria" won't make it pass 2012.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by samparian(m): 5:44am On Jul 27, 2009
At any slight provocation, the Northerners will kill Igbos and ask them to leave their land, and the Federal govt will not do anything about it.

That was the case with the cartoon in Denmark in 2006. I survived that bloodshed. What i witnessed was nothing compared to the massacre of igbos in the 60's which led to the war.

But what i saw was enough for me to take up arms and do some serious damage. If someone had stepped up and armed us. We would have been willing to die fighting rather than being hunted and killed like goats.

Many of those killed on that saturday morning didnt even know about the Cartoon. cry
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by russellino: 4:00pm On Jul 27, 2009
Omatseye really let me down with this article. This article is a weak attempt to blame the Igbos and the north for the outbreak of the war. His assertion that the Igbos are wrong to have claiim that they woke up and saw a pogrom come down upon its people is ludicrous and insultive to say the least because that's what happened.
Thirty thousand innocent men, women and children were slaughtered without knowing why except for the fact that they were igbo. From the north down through the middlebelt region people were murdered in cold blood. at garkem trains carrying refugees home from the north were stopped and people with eastern features pulled out and "offed". when the federal government didnt supported and certainly didnt stop the killings what was inevitable. What of the aburi accord where the terms agreed were reneged upon by an establishment headed by some emirs and bureaucrats who called the young and cluless gowon to order for agreeing to too much. Before you knew it a police action was declared and a bloody three year war ignited. One Million of igbos died because the war was fought in their backyard but make no mistake the federal army was bled silly losing over 200,000 soldiers.hunger saved them from a suicidal fight to the finish. Such devotion to a fight even when you dont have arms in the first place takes dedication you cannot buy. Omatseye should be ashamed of himself
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by fayahsoul: 8:16pm On Jul 27, 2009
Today there's more weapons on the streets of nigeria than in the military industrial complex stock piles.

lol. levels don change. igbo mma mma nu
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by onyengbu1(m): 8:23am On Jul 28, 2009
kobojunkie has a way of camouflaging his/her hate for igbos as pity.

Why do you have to go in any biafra related post on nairaland trying to remind igbos of how bad the war was for them?

Whatever makes you think we have not heard it before. If you want to say something just say it, stop making it look like you care. Who needs your concern.

If you really care about igbo people why dont you start by writing the name correctly because you and I know its IGBO and not IBO. But you have NEVER in any of your post written it as IGBO.

Hypocrite!
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by ezeagu(m): 7:47pm On Jul 28, 2009
onye_ngbu:

kobojunkie has a way of camouflaging his/her hate for igbos as pity.

Why do you have to go in any biafra related post on nairaland trying to remind igbos of how bad the war was for them?

Whatever makes you think we have not heard it before. If you want to say something just say it, stop making it look like you care. Who needs your concern.

If you really care about igbo people why dont you start by writing the name correctly because you and I know its IGBO and not IBO. But you have NEVER in any of your post written it as IGBO.

Hypocrite!

She is Igbo!  shocked cry
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Onlytruth(m): 11:51pm On Jul 28, 2009
ezeagu:

She is Igbo!  shocked                         cry

Are you sure this slowpoke called Kobojukie is Igbo? If Kobojunkie is a she, then she must be one the ugliest babes in Igboland that couldn't find an Igbo husband. Probably married into one of these Igbo hating tribes and now feels like she can pick a bone with her ancestors. In the olden days she'd be sold into slavery! grin
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by NINETOFIVE(m): 12:34am On Jul 29, 2009
[/quote][quote author=ezeagu link=topic=65106.msg4262692#msg4262692 date=1248806839]
She is Igbo! shocked cry

That is very very misleading, the person you are talking about is a Yoruba Muslim and a transvestite, she was known as Laudate before, an identity that became notorious and she changed to Kobojunkie, apparently this her new identity is once again notoriously associated with anti Igbo propaganda and would soon be discarded, she is one of the imbeciles that made Nairaland a boring place to be.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by fayahsoul: 1:00am On Jul 29, 2009
That's right. Expose the phony amongst us.

Kobojunkie is either a female or a homosexual male. A lot can be learnt about someone through their energy signature and level of vibration.

na today?

Igbo mma mma nu
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by adigun101: 1:22am On Jul 29, 2009
Back to the topic at hand. Where do Niger Deltans, to be exact south-south  lie in the Biafran issue. Sources have confirmed that the leader of the 1966 coup which led to the biafran war is from present day Delta State which as at then was not even part of the eastern region although Igbo speaking.

This adds a new twist to the myths about Biafran war being a purely eatern affair and possibly anti- Niger Delta South - south and an Oil war.

NB: I am really confused and find it hard to differentiate between Igbo ,South-south and Niger Delta. There are notable intersections that make it kinda complex !
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Onlytruth(m): 5:58am On Jul 29, 2009
adigun101:

Back to the topic at hand. Where do Niger Deltans, to be exact south-south  lie in the Biafran issue. Sources have confirmed that the leader of the 1966 coup which led to the biafran war is from present day Delta State which as at then was not even part of the eastern region although Igbo speaking.

This adds a new twist to the myths about Biafran war being a purely eatern affair and possibly anti- Niger Delta South - south and an Oil war.

NB: I am really confused and find it hard to differentiate between Igbo ,South-south and Niger Delta. There are notable intersections that make it kinda complex !
The ultimate truth is that they are really one people, never mind the lies. They formed Biafra (through the Eastern house of assembly).The lies started in 1967 when the divide, conquer and rule started.
The Igbo of the midwest then wanted to join Biafra with the Igbo east of the Niger but changed when the war went bad. If Biafra had succeeded, present day Delta State would have been shared between Biafra and whatever country the Edos decided to join or form.
For the Biafrans it was not an Oil war, it was a war of survival. For the Nigerians, it was an oil war, hence the confusion.
Biafra was made up of many tribes with cultural, historical and religious ties. The oil was mainly in the minority areas of Biafra and Ojukwu was defending the whole of Biafra. If Ojukwu had given the oil to the Nigerians, maybe they would have let Biafra go. Just my thinking. Ojukwu was a resolute leader. He could not betray Biafrans in any way. Giving the oil away would have betrayed Biafrans whose lands host the oilfields. He didn't do that. It is unfortunate that some of the same people he fought for turn around to castigate him today. The lies are beginning to wear off though!

Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by babapupa: 6:28am On Jul 29, 2009
delusional folks,

how in the hell the people wey you forcefully invade and occupy their land and mistreated go happily join you to form a single nation? it's like israel asking palestinians to follow join the state of israel,

abeg comot with that yeye map,

[b]The Igbos should understand that the crisis facing the South today was directly or remotely caused by them. But because their leaders had not been sincere to them, they have continuously propagated the lie that the West is responsible for their problem. A few facts should illuminate this:

1. In 1957, the North threatened to secede if independence was granted to Nigeria because they were not ready. Zik, was supposed to have reached an understanding with Awo to let the North go. But to Awo’s consternation, Zik formed an alliance with the North which succeeded in delaying independence and allowed the North to get ready.

2. In 1966, a group of young Igbo officers planned a coup that killed only non-Igbo politicians. Included among the politicians was Ahmadu Bello who was a god-like figure to the Northerners. Before you could say Jihad, all the Sabongaris were on fire and the pogrom that would lead to the civil war has started,

3. Instead of trying to seek immediate political solution to the crisis, the Igbos declared Biafra. They war lasted for 30 months. The Igbos lost everything. The Hausa-Fulani oligarchy took this defeat of Biafra as the conquest of the South. Since then, they have transformed the privilege of leadership into that of a birthright and they have used it not only to stunt the growth of the South but also to subject their people to a state of perpetual servitude and feudalistic iniquities.[/b]- Orette
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by adigun101: 10:18am On Jul 29, 2009
Im not here to talk of the merits of demerits of a war that took place more than 40 yrs ago. But to establish a truths and myths that seem to be perpertuated after the war, especially as it affects the issues of Militancy in the Niger Delta south south.
The leader of the 1966 coup is a Niger deltan south-southerner, his name is Chukwuma Kaduna Nzeogwu, The second in command to the biafran army was a Niger deltan south-southerner, Effiong

LIE !
The Biafran war is a todays, Igbo south-eastern affair.

Truth
The Biafran war was a todays Igbo/Niger-Delta/South-south affair.

Let us forget the lies being perpertuated around because everyone tried to jump ship when the going got tough. Something even Zik did, even though as at the time he was the formost and respected Igbo politician but unfortunately for the Igbos, and unlike for others, someone had to be the scape-goat.

Im not engaging in this discussion for nothing but to hope that Niger deltans south-southerners learn from their past mistakes and not make the same this time around. Your distractors have always and will continue prying on your disunity an non- articulate stands on issues.

You cannot claim to know where you are going to if you do not know where you are coming from !
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by fayahsoul: 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2009
Ndi ogbuoge.

See these people narrating their own biased versions of his-story like it's a fact.

The study of history ourstory becomes irrelevant and useless if it's used as a tool to justify a peoples attempt to monopolize victimhood. Lessons of Ourstory should be used to observe and counter our past and present weakness as a collective.

We cannot right the wrongs of the past but we can create a future of intent.

It is futile for anyone to attempt disproving the political appriopriateness of the first declaration of a biafran republic because the very conditions that precipitated that war has survived the war and is even more austere. The message from the north hausa/fulani ruling caliphate remain distinct, clear and louder. The north reminds the south-south and south-east that their only interest is oil and the seat of power in ABJ.

According to them, the s/s and s/e are infidels whom must be ruled over and enslaved. This is undeniable. This is fact.

So back to square one, nigeria is the thesis while Biafra remains the antithesis.

Long live the land of the rising sun
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by Onlytruth(m): 2:02am On Jul 30, 2009
The best news today in Nigeria is that the real south south (Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta) are beginning to assert themselves. It's only a matter of time before the lairs will run out of lies. wink grin. Oil is going, going ,
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by fayahsoul: 2:38am On Jul 30, 2009
Onlytruth:

The best news today in Nigeria is that the real south south (Cross River, Akwa Ibom, Rivers, Bayelsa and Delta) are beginning to assert themselves. It's only a matter of time before the lairs will run out of lies. wink grin. Oil is going, going ,

now that's really good news indeed.
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by dayokanu(m): 3:20am On Dec 22, 2010
Wish Ojukwu the father of Biafra speedy recovery and long life
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by bkbabe97y(m): 5:02am On Dec 22, 2010
Onlytruth:

Do u still love that the "REAL" South now has enough fire power to resist being forced into Biafra?!
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by bukifemi1: 6:46am On Jul 04, 2017
NOT TODAY

No one saves us but ourselves.
No one can and no one may.
We ourselves must walk the path.

Buddha
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by 1Rebel: 6:53am On Jul 04, 2017
bkbabe97y:

Do u still love that the "REAL" South now has enough fire power to resist being forced into Biafra?!

There's nothing like real south. undecided
Re: Two Lies As Biafra Turns 40 9/7/2007 by ZZ22: 10:51am On Feb 13, 2020
Afam:
It seems it is now fashionable for people to make sometimes ridiculous attempts to rewrite history.

Without bothering to spend time on quite a load of rubbish put down by the writer one cannot dispute the following

1. That a yoruba man was among the 5 majors that spearheaded the coup
2. That Ironsi (being the most senior in the army) took over and locked up Nzeogwu and co
3. That Gowon led a counter coup 6 months later and proceeded to call himself the commander in chief
4. That a Brigadier General of yoruba extraction (Ogundipe) was the most senior surviving person in the army who should ordinarily take over government
5. That Ojukwu refused to see Gowon (a junior Col to him) as his CIC as that would mean retirement as his junior cannot be his CIC
6. That Ojukwu and the Eastern part of the nation maintained a position that even those who went to Aburi agreed upon for about a year before the war broke out
7. That Nigeria did not restrict its fighting of the war outside Eastern part of Nigeria so I wonder why someone in his right senses will question Biafra fighting outside Eastern part of the nation unless the writer's idea of war is for you to stay in your house and continue to defend while your enemy comes in with every type of amour

Put differently, Ojukwu insisted on equity and fairness and in reality fought a war that the yorubas would have fought if Ogundipe stood his ground as the most senior army officer in the Nigerian army then and not allow a junior Col (Gowon) to take over the mantle of leadership.

So, while I am not a fan of Ojukwu I dare say that as an Igbo man I am happy for the boldness he exhibited even though his family background meant he could have lived life to the fullest and lived a comfortable life.

Let the lies stop, let people stop trying to to rewrite histories because there is always a lesson for us to learn from past mistakes.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

Fulani Herdsman Hoist Flag In Abia / Pandora Papers: Inside The Secret Assets Of Nigerian Lawmaker Nicholas Mutu / APC Bot Member, Benjamin Apugo Dumps Party, Drums Support For Peter Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.