Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:54 PM

Curfew In North Affects Prices In South - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Curfew In North Affects Prices In South (7737 Views)

Aliyu Congratulates Buhari, Declares Curfew In Niger / Fayose Imposes Dusk To Dawn Curfew In Ekiti / Governor Yero Imposes 24 Hour Curfew In Kaduna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Arosa(m): 3:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
EzeUche__:

Who the helll do you think you are talking about you demonic animal?

Do not confuse me with ekt_bear you stupiddd arse bastardd.

People think you should be banned. Do not get upset with me, because all of Nairaland consider you a souless pig.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Cyborg2011: 3:04pm On Apr 23, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

This is someone's child and also another lovely man's wife to be,
Wicked hausas and buhari and bakare and some uneducated idi.ot in northerner including devlish fo.o.l. God will never forgive them. Amen

Faked story, how many times we were told that this is a lady selling food stuff in a railway station. Better stop spreading hatred and fabricated lies, think of one Nigeria or start thinking of split like others.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by dboyfams: 3:20pm On Apr 23, 2011
the north actualy needs d south 4 their farm produce. The poster said 'perishable items' if these products are nt sold they get spoilt. So they reali need southerner money. Infact they need d southerners more than d southerners need them. So if it s so necesary dt naija divides. Let it b so.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by edoyad(m): 3:57pm On Apr 23, 2011
Personally i don't think the country will be splitting very soon, but even it is, do you honestly believe 'food prices' would actually stop a country from splitting ? Honestly ?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Ayowumie(m): 4:23pm On Apr 23, 2011
martyns303:

look at this aboki's' feeling important, i'll tell u how its going to be. Now picture with me, the north goes of, the south will feel it heavily for, say 3-4 months, the middle belt will then need to step up their production capacity. I see my igbo brothers importing food items like crazy, to keep up the demand. Then over 1000000000000 foreign farmers and companies begging to come and invest in the south. And the most interesting part, 90% of Nigeria's revenue comes from oil, now imagine that money being available to only 75 million people (75 million North gone), that means more money, more infastructure, more development, better education (oh the aboki's don't like education either way-boko haram). Now i'll tell you what will happen to the North, their market will be so flooded wit tomatoes that 30 bags of tomatoes will be sold for N1000 or less, farming won't be interesting to the farmers anymore. These aboki's will just farm and eat the farm product, atleast they will survive but that will be about it, just farm and eat. Don't even mentioning exporting, to where? How many seaports do they have? They want to use jumbo jets, who dash them. Them go surfer come black pass kiwi polish.
This is one of the most awkward political analysis of secession that i have read in a long time. First of all, the south will feel the brunt of starvation for more than 6 months (remember in 2009 when prices of rice went up, was their any reactionary measure to fore-stall reoccurence in the south?) When you talk abt importing like crazy, you didnt try to reflect on the economic implication of that, like inflation which would result into more people becoming poorer that they used to be. You have also failed to talk abt the possible crisis that could accompany secession. Yorubas are arrongant people who wouldnt who wouldnt want to let go of leadership position easily while the Igbos would want to be conscious so they taste the bitter xperience of post of civil war again while the SS would because of crude oil be the one ruling the nation (the Ibos and Yorubas would be suspicious of one another and they wouldnt want to accede leadership position to the minority tribe). What abt the middle belt?

As for the north, they would av to adjust their ways of life in such a way that money will be de-emphasised in the polity. They would go back to their pre-industrialization way of life. And mind you there would be less killing of outsiders but poverty might be widespread in that region and the people would not have much choice but to hold the leaders (many of which would av no choice but to run for dear lives) accountable. For the south, it would be next to impossible to do that.
The North would suffer, i agree with that but the South would also bear the brunt.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by martyns303(m): 6:53pm On Apr 23, 2011
^^^ The picture of the foreign investors is to emphasize the fact that there are thousands of people that will readily take up the place of the North, Note when the North breaks-up, importing food from the North means importing from a foreign country. My emphasis on the igbo importers will mean, the effect of the Northaners will not be felt, till we'r able to set up our farms. Now ofcourse there will be some form of regulation. And oh thanks for acknowlegding the fact than the aboki's will SUFFER miserably!
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by omanzo02: 7:04pm On Apr 23, 2011
ekt bear: ^-- What is landless farming? Do you mean hydroponics. . . ? 

I think he meant hydroponics system of farming, with such system one actually needs a considerably little amount of land, production is efficient and  higher, and increases employment. I see such system can work perfectly in nigeria for tomato, vegetables and other crops considering our tropical weather and enviroment. If thorough research and experiments are carried out, other local crops could be cultivated in such way too.

I wonder if the government encourages such system in Nigeria?, I know it's costly but profitable in the long run, this is what I expect those that study agriculture to invest their time and energy in, in europe, some practical training and backup manuals are enough to start off.

Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by gadogado(m): 8:10pm On Apr 23, 2011
Tomorrow’s launch of a major policy on gas for the country will witness President Goodluck Jonathan committing as much as $1 billion to the exploration of natural gas in the next five years.
Also for the first time, the North of the country would see more exploration activities in search of the huge deposit of gas locked up in the bowels of the region.
Earlier in the week, Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, told select media houses across the country of the gas revolution the Federal Government is bent on embarking on.
According to her, the investment would have a geographical spread so as to increase industrialisation across the country.
“This is meant to create wealth rapidly across the nation,” she said.
But a top management staff in the ministry pointed out that a key significance of the revolution that would be launched is the commitment to exploiting gas in the North.
According to the minister, President Jonathan in 2010 launched an aggressive focus on drilling gas in Chad Basin, Gongola/Yola Basin, Benue trough and Anambra Basin.
Though this was meant to shore up the country’s gas reserves, the ministry’s top staff who spoke to the paper pointed out that the project was also meant to demonstrate that the president is prepared to grow the North industrially.
The gas exploration will help the country develop gas-based industries.
Part of the projects would be two fertiliser plants, one of which is to be sited in the North. According to the minister, the projects are meant to fuel industrial rebirth in the country.
Other gas-based industries expected are a world scale petrochemical plant, five fertiliser blending plants, a methanol plant and an LNG distribution plant.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by olaolabiy: 8:13pm On Apr 23, 2011
gadogado:

Tomorrow’s launch of a major policy on gas for the country will witness President Goodluck Jonathan committing as much as $1 billion to the exploration of natural gas in the next five years.
Also for the first time, the North of the country would see more exploration activities in search of the huge deposit of gas locked up in the bowels of the region.
Earlier in the week, Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke, told select media houses across the country of the gas revolution the Federal Government is bent on embarking on.
According to her, the investment would have a geographical spread so as to increase industrialisation across the country.
“This is meant to create wealth rapidly across the nation,
” she said.
But a top management staff in the ministry[b] pointed out that a key significance of the revolution that would be launched is the commitment to exploiting gas in the North. [/b]
According to the minister, President Jonathan in 2010 launched an aggressive focus on drilling gas in Chad Basin, Gongola/Yola Basin, Benue trough and Anambra Basin.
Though this was meant to shore up the country’s gas reserves, the ministry’s top staff who spoke to the paper pointed out that the project was also meant to demonstrate that the president is prepared to grow the North industrially.
The gas exploration will help the country develop gas-based industries.
Part of the projects would be two fertiliser plants, one of which is to be sited in the North. According to the minister, the projects are meant to fuel industrial rebirth in the country.
Other gas-based industries expected are a world scale petrochemical plant, five fertiliser blending plants, a methanol plant and an LNG distribution plant.

Are you happy now?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Obiagu1(m): 8:21pm On Apr 23, 2011
Open the boarder and let food come in from other countries. We don't need the North, just divide the country and let everyone rest lipsrsealed
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by youngmonie: 9:03pm On Apr 23, 2011
Let us wake up to reality!!!, ,ost people just say things they know can never happen!!
Obiagu1:

Open the boarder and let food come in from other countries. We don't need the North, just divide the country and let everyone rest lipsrsealed
im sorry but this is d dumbest thing i have heard. Why open ur boaders to food from abroad when you produce cheaply
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by pleep(m): 9:08pm On Apr 23, 2011
This whole thread is ridiculous. Secession would not hurt food prices in the south one bit if the split is peacefull. When the country splits the currency of 'Awera rebublic' will be almost worthless, and the south can proceed importing the food at lower prices than they did before. Much like Nigeria currently imports food from Niger.

1. The infrastructure for food importation is already in place.

2. The N. Nigerians need this source of revenue so they will continue to sell to the highest bidder (the south)

3. There will be no duties or tarriffs on N. Nigerian products.

My only problem with secession is that the N. Nigerians will probably starve.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by pleep(m): 9:10pm On Apr 23, 2011
The whole of the shahel and N. Nigeria will be a fvcking desert in 30 yrs anyway. Cuz they are practicing the most unsustainable agriculture imaginable. not to mention global climate change.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Sunofgod(m): 9:11pm On Apr 23, 2011
pleep:

This whole thread is ridiculous. Secession would not hurt food prices in the south one bit if the split is peacefull. When the country splits the currency of 'buharistan' will be almost worthless, and the south can proceed importing the food at lower prices than they did before. Much like Nigeria currently imports food from Niger.

1. The infrastructure for food importation is already in place.

2. The N. Nigerians need this source of revenue so they will continue to sell to the highest bidder (the south)

3. There will be no duties or tarriffs on N. Nigerian products.

My only problem with secession is that the N. Nigerians will probably starve.

Correct,

Where else will they sell their produce too?

Chad?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by youngmonie: 9:11pm On Apr 23, 2011
some people just make me laugh wiv their posts, WISHFULL THINKING!!!!
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Obiagu1(m): 9:17pm On Apr 23, 2011
youngmonie:

Let us wake up to reality!!!, ,ost people just say things they know can never happen!!
im sorry  but this is d dumbest thing i have heard. Why open your boaders to food from abroad when you produce cheaply

Can you start producing immediately to make up for the shortfall? With what land, tractors, seeds, farmers?

Who is dumber now?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by youngmonie: 9:26pm On Apr 23, 2011
Obiagu1:

Can you start producing immediately to make up for the shortfall? With what land, tractors, seeds, farmers?

Who is dumber now?

lmaooooo!!!!!, just stop ur wishfull thinking, NIGERIA CAN AND WILL NEVER SPLIT during and after ur life time!!
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by pleep(m): 9:47pm On Apr 23, 2011
^^^ what the hell are you talking about? if you don't have any facts to back up what your saying shut the heck up.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 10:40pm On Apr 23, 2011
ibedun:

For now BUHARISTAN (lots of credits to whoever coined this word) deserves much credit.

Thanks grin
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 10:43pm On Apr 23, 2011
EzeUche__:

Who the helll do you think you are talking about you demonic animal?

Do not confuse me with ekt_bear you stupiddd arse bastardd.

People think you should be banned. Do not get upset with me, because all of Nairaland consider you a souless pig.

Kindly keep my name out of your mouth unless you are talking to me directly.

You don't know much about the SW anyways when it comes to agric (as demonstrated by the previous discussion we had a few months ago), so his point is correct.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 10:45pm On Apr 23, 2011
@omanzo02: Hydroponics, I thought the main point is to use less water? Not reduce the amount of land? So meant more for arid places.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Nobody: 12:29am On Apr 24, 2011
I am hausa/fulani as you put it here and i really hope and pray to God that we breakup
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 12:32am On Apr 24, 2011
Abu-Maryam, this thread is very unnecessary We don't need to prove to the Southerners that they need us or we need them.

Its only purpose is to make the Southerners feel important and superior. BTW, the North has always been living in abject poverty since day one, so a united of seceded Nigeria makes little or no difference to us.

The election riots were deplorable, inexcusable and disgraceful. But to me what it manifested were a frustrated group of people who have seen very little in terms of economic development since independence, although it is true that some of the violence has religious and tribal and religious elements too. People forget that not everybody in the south voted for GEJ,likewise not everybody in the North voted for Buhari.

Open the boarder and let food come in from other countries. We don't need the North, just divide the country and let everyone rest

Bravo! a perfect way of becoming a net food importer. Once the global price of food rises, the food will not be able to buy it. smiley

the north actualy needs d south 4 their farm produce. The poster said 'perishable items' if these products are nt sold they get spoilt. So they reali need southerner money. Infact they need d southerners more than d southerners need them. So if it s so necesary dt naija divides. Let it b so.

We can easily sell our farm produce to Niger (they starving over there) and other parts of West Africa. Most parts of the South is also unsuitable for cattle rearing because of the climate and tse-tse fly. Maybe they'll have to be importing their beef from like say Argentina??

If a secession were to occur, pls so be it. I'm 100% we won't be any worse than we are now. At least we will be free from the oil curse.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ezeagu(m): 12:47am On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

We can easily sell our farm produce to Niger (they starving over there) and other parts of West Africa. Most parts of the South is also unsuitable for cattle rearing because of the climate and tse-tse fly. Maybe they'll have to be importing their beef from like say Argentina??

If a secession were to occur, pls so be it. I'm 100% we won't be any worse than we are now. At least we will be free from the oil curse.

grin "Oil curse". Who in Niger has money like this to replace Southern Nigerians?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ak47mann(m): 12:57am On Apr 24, 2011
are you sure cool cool cool cool cool be sure cus most people have been praying for these 4 long time cool cool
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 1:09am On Apr 24, 2011
"Oil curse". Who in Niger has money like this to replace Southern Nigerians?

That is why I included "other parts of West Africa". The emphasis on Niger was because of the severe food shortage and proximity. They may not be a rich country, but they are a net food importer. Speaking of which, how and where will the South get the most basic staple cereal without importing?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ezeagu(m): 1:11am On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

That is why I included "other parts of West Africa". The emphasis on Niger was because of the severe food shortage and proximity. They may not be a rich country, but they are a net food importer. Speaking of which, how and where will the South get the most basic staple cereal without importing?

Selling to other parts of Africa will only work if they lose their own Fulani traders as well. So that means Cameroon? No. Ghana? No. Ivory Coast? no . . . . . etc.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 1:20am On Apr 24, 2011

Selling to other parts of Africa will only work if they lose their own Fulani traders as well. So that means Cameroon? No. Ghana? No. Ivory Coast? no . . . . . etc.

Ok, I'm not really following this. How does the process of exporting result in the loss of traders?
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ezeagu(m): 1:24am On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

Ok, I'm not really following this. How does the process of exporting result in the loss of traders?

Other nearby (West) African countries already have a community of Hausa or Fulani traders that give them the tomatoes, the cattle etc. Do you expect the millions of Northerners to be welcomed to flood their markets as well as flood the markets with goods that are already enough for the populations? People in nearby West African countries that are rich enough to buy these things already have enough from their Hausa/Fulani population.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by Reddfox(m): 1:46am On Apr 24, 2011
Other nearby (West) African countries already have a community of Hausa or Fulani traders that give them the tomatoes, the cattle etc. Do you expect the millions of Northerners to be welcomed to flood their markets as well as flood the markets with goods that are already enough for the populations? People in nearby West African countries that are rich enough to buy these things already have enough from their Hausa/Fulani population.

I completely disagree. These countries, especially Niger heavily rely on the North for food crops, in turn we receive sheep and goats. The bulk of our farm produce are sent down South as per being a single market. The other part is and imported to Niger, Chad etc. The remaining are subsistence . These countries do not have the  fertile/arable land to produce in bulk as we do, for that reason your claim of a saturated market is wrong. It is just a matter of doubling up production and exports. You don't have to flock all the way to another country to achieve this.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ezeagu(m): 2:13am On Apr 24, 2011
Reddfox:

I completely disagree. These countries, especially Niger heavily rely on the North for food crops, in turn we receive sheep and goats. The bulk of our farm produce are sent down South as per being a single market. The other part is and imported to Niger, Chad etc. The remaining are subsistence . These countries do not have the  fertile/arable land to produce in bulk as we do, for that reason your claim of a saturated market is wrong. It is just a matter of doubling up production and exports. You don't have to flock all the way to another country to achieve this.

Niger and Chad can never match the demand for products that southern Nigeria does, and simply doubling the exports will just be a waste or products, how many people are in Niger and Chad? The majority of northern traders will not frustrate themselves and they would continue to try and sell to the largest market around, which is southern Nigeria.
Re: Curfew In North Affects Prices In South by ektbear: 2:19am On Apr 24, 2011
^-- Well said.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG To Pay N37bn Compensation For Odi’s Invasion / Reps Summon MTN, Glo, Others Over Job Losses / May 29: Tinubu's Presidential Inauguration Car Has Landed (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.