Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,275 members, 7,954,088 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:08 PM

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? (8708 Views)

Nigeria Should Prepare For Post Boko Haram – UN Analyst / Group Supplies ICC With Evidence Linking Buhari To 2011 Post-election Violence / Election Violence Fears: Politicians, CEOs Move Families Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mojojojo(m): 6:10pm On Apr 25, 2011
After all the lives lost and the constant blame game being played by politicians the people responsible for the post election violence are undeservedly avoiding blame.

I am talking about security agencies and the people charged by our constitution to protect our lives and properties. Here we are having the most divisive elections in the history of our country at a time when militancy and religious intolerance/violence   are at their peak and  the security agencies did not see it fit to have measures in place to curtail the activities of miscreants after the results of the presidential elections were announced.

Even the most uninterested observer could have foreseen that whichever candidate won this election there would have been some form of violence in protest from either side. These people are trained and equipped to handle these situations and yet they were no where to be seen when violence erupted.  The perpetrators were not organised and had no sophisticated weapons.

One would have expected that the streets would have been fully manned and protected by every available man in uniform for a few days after the election results were announced (together with telephone hotlines given to the public especially those at risk to report violence at first sight) . This way these teenage miscreants would have stood no chance against the force  of an organised and prepared  security operation.

In any sensible country one would be asking "Why has our security apparatus failed us? Who is responsible for the failure? How can this be avoided in the future?".
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 25, 2011
Buhari and his CONGRESS FOR PATHETIC CANNIBALS are to blame.

Buhari is the most irresponsible public figure in the history of Nigeria.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by ektbear: 6:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
1) The rioters
2) The riggers
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by seanet03: 6:18pm On Apr 25, 2011
Seun, Jarus, Mobinga, Sagamite, Hollandis, Ileke idi,Afam4eva and Ezeuche.
grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 25, 2011
Buhari before the election promised violence if there was rigging.

Remember any result that shows Buhari lost the election is a product of rigging in Buhari's book even though the evidence shows that Buhari did not even make effort in the South East and South South.

He banked on votes from Underage voters, extremist immigrants from Niger Republic and brainwashed illiterates. Those are the categories of people who form his base.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 6:25pm On Apr 25, 2011
[size=13pt]Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999.[/size] These riots have become regular as it happens every other month, yet in all 12 years, the response of the Government remains seriously lacking and our police force still remains inadequately effective in quelling the situation. What are we paying the Government? To sit back so we can continue hating each other and deciding who to blame come every riot?

When Katrina happened in America and riots broke out, did you see people on TV blaming black people or white people? NO, they all turned to blame the Government for not providing adequate security and provisions for the people. Why can't we step out of ourselves for once to think properly as a nation
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Apr 25, 2011
Who is the Government?

The Government is you and I.

If every politician who looses elections makes up stories of rigging and hire hoodlums to forment trouble, how does a Government control that?

Yes Government will react and Buhari and his CPC will have some explanation to do in the violence.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 6:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^ spare me that nonsense . . . it is because of rebuttals like yours that I took a step to inject the Katrina example. From that example . . . who was the Government? The American people(Indians, Blacks, whites, hispanics, Asians, KKK members, Nazist groups, Communists groups etc -- all americans)  or those who they all elected to serve them, provide security and make sure to quell such riots, in Government??

** rolls eyes and hisses****
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by seanet03: 6:31pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999.[/size] These riots have become regular as it happens every other month, yet in all 12 years, the response of the Government remains seriously lacking and our police force still remains inadequately effective in quelling the situation. What are we paying the Government? To sit back so we can continue hating each other and deciding who to blame come every riot?

When Katrina happened in America and riots broke out, did you see people on TV blaming black people or white people? NO, they all turned to blame the Government for not providing adequate security and provisions for the people. Why can't we step out of ourselves for once to think properly as a nation

GBAM!!!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Apr 25, 2011
Was Hurrican Catrina caused by either black people or white people?

Katrina is a Natural dissaster.

What we are talking about here is the systematic use of hoodlums to attack Nigerians in the North just because Buhari lost an election. It is a human issue and not a Natural dissaster.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nadanbata: 6:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
Lack of Security = Federal Government = Riggers

So I blame them.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 6:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
^^^ A more intelligent question would have been  . . . did Katrina cause the riots and hate?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:39pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

^^^ A more intelligent question would have been  . . . did Katrina cause the riots and hate?

I honeastly do not believe I will take lectures on making intelligent arguments from you.

Don't you think drawing a correlation between a Natural dissaster and racial or tribal or political attack is a little bit dumb?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 6:42pm On Apr 25, 2011
Actually, I did not draw any such correlation -- You are the one attempting to do that all by yourself.

I simply choose to use a more familiar example that took place in the US,and had LITTLE TO DO with the disaster itself but more to do with the fact that the people found themselves helpless and hopeless and decided to turn on each other out of frustration.

Kobojunkie:

Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Jenifa1: 6:47pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]Why not blame your Government for not adequately providing security for the people? 16000, and counting, is the estimated number of deaths by riot since 1999.[/size]

THANK YOU!!!
GEJ is to blame. what security measures is he putting into place to protect Nigerian citizens?
let us not lose sight of the responsibilities of our leaders plz. we elected them for a reason. let us hold them accountable to do their job.

the people blaming Buhari for post election violence are not reasoning well at all. do you want a one party system?
it seems that nigerians have been conditioned to "suffer and smile"
there is another thread where a poster is being abused for asking GEJ to provide light. apparently GEJ shouldn't be responsible for anything. he should just sit in Aso rock and enjoy life while we Nigerians suffer.
even Bakare's house was recently burnt down in a fire.  he burnt his own house down too abi?

GEJ SHOULD WAKE UP AND PROVIDE SECURITY FOR NIGERIANS ABEG. he was voted in and now he needs to do his job!
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 6:55pm On Apr 25, 2011
Do you not know that Nigerians as citizens should have responsibility to one another?

Do you want to endorse the killing of compatriots when your prefered candidates loose? If that is what you want to say then say so clearly.

Because I have no clue why anybody wants to blame GEJ because some Nigerians prefer to behave as cannibals.

The Nigerian Army has been previously accused of being used to rig elections. The INEC chairman requested that Army should not be involved in the process, the Presidency heeded to their request just to ensure confidence in the process.

All of a sudden those who their prefered candidate lost chose to engage in babarism of the highest order and somehow you want to turn arround and blame the President. It is too much of a difficult ask to expect Buhari and his supporters to appreciate the meaning of the sancitity of life in all that they do? Expecially the lives of fellow Nigerians?

Somehow you want to tell us that because Black Americans did not blame White Americans over Hurricane Katrina then Southerners should not question why Buhari and his supporters are unleashing mayhem because they lost the election?

Kobojunkie you really need to grow up. It will be foolish for any race to blame another over Hurrican Katrina because there is no evidence that anybody was responsible. But for the violence in Nigeria one group is attacking the rest of us so it is legitimate to point accusing fingers.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Jenifa1: 7:06pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy

answer these questions:
have you ever been attacked by an armed robber? who do you blame for it?
what do you think GEJ's responsibility is as president of Nigeria?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nadanbata: 7:09pm On Apr 25, 2011
Jenifa_:

mikeansy

answer these questions:

Oya leave him grin. The security in Naija is a joke. You cant travel freely in the country without fear of armed robbers smh. Thats Buharis fault as well I bet cheesy cheesy. Roads are terrible, you know how many accidents happen each day etc etc.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:13pm On Apr 25, 2011
Jenifa_:

mikeansy

answer these questions:

This current violence has nothing to do with armed robbery. This is a systematic attack on people who are percieved to not be supporters of CPC.

You can not blame the President for such Babarism and cowardly behaviour. What I expect going forward is for the President to deal decisively with the perpatrators of such shameful evil.

And all of you should be ashamed of yourselves for excusing such evil.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Mikeansy,
The almajiris that are currently being blamed for d crises in the north were only able to exploit the glaring lapses of security agencies.
The corps member that was unjustifiably killed in Bauchi posted on his wall the previous day that he was almost lynched at the polling booth.
Our security agents should step up from being mere reactionaries to being proactively involved in keeping the peace.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by mojojojo(m): 7:16pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

Do you not know that Nigerians as citizens should have responsibility to one another?

Do you want to endorse the killing of compatriots when your prefered candidates loose? If that is what you want to say then say so clearly.

Because I have no clue why anybody wants to blame GEJ because some Nigerians prefer to behave as cannibals.

The Nigerian Army has been previously accused of being used to rig elections. The INEC chairman requested that Army should not be involved in the process, the Presidency heeded to their request just to ensure confidence in the process.

All of a sudden those who their prefered candidate lost chose to engage in babarism of the highest order and somehow you want to turn arround and blame the President. It is too much of a difficult ask to expect Buhari and his supporters to appreciate the meaning of the sancitity of life in all that they do? Expecially the lives of fellow Nigerians?

Somehow you want to tell us that because Black Americans did not blame White Americans over Hurricane Katrina then Southerners should not question why Buhari and his supporters are unleashing mayhem because they lost the election?

Kobojunkie you really need to grow up. It will be foolish for any race to blame another over Hurrican Katrina because there is no evidence that anybody was responsible. But for the violence in Nigeria one group is attacking the rest of us so it is legitimate to point accusing fingers.

Nigerian citizens have only a moral responsibility to one another. The security agencies have a constitutional responsibility to protect our lives and they are paid to do so. Are you trained  or equipped to ward off a hundred angry and frustrated youth? None of us is. We cannot continue to rely on the purity of the hearts of people. Everyone is different and some people are plain crazy.   We cannot depend on other people's rationality.

I did not want this thread to turn political or blame personalities. This is clearly an institutional problem.  

GEJ may not be directly responsible for this failure of our security agencies and may be a victim of some other person's incompetence (see Minister of Interior)  but the truth is as President the buck stops with him. He has the right to take credit for everything good that his government achieves and he will also take blame for its every failure. This is what it means to  be a leader.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:17pm On Apr 25, 2011
If out of Religious fanatism I take up a cutlass and cut off my neighbours head, how do you blame anyone else but me for being a fanatic or my religion if it encourages hate and all those who associate with me if they help to stoke up hate through their rhetoric?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by thetelz(m): 7:19pm On Apr 25, 2011
Of course its baby BUHARI!! That guy is just frustrating my whole body system like Arsenal
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dayokanu(m): 7:19pm On Apr 25, 2011
The violence in jos that has been going to almost a year, The October 1 bomb blast which the perpetrators are now behind the presdient, Suleja bombongs, Bayelsa violence, MEND bombings

I think all these were caused by Buhari.

Everyone in the country knew there would be post election unrest, If GEJ had lost expect protest in the SS , What should a responsible govt have done to prevent this? Instead they are looking for Buhari to blame.

mikeansy:

Who is the Government?

The Government is you and I.

If every politician who looses elections makes up stories of rigging and hire hoodlums to forment trouble, how does a Government control that?

Yes Government will react and Buhari and his CPC will have some explanation to do in the violence.

So when kidnappers went on rampage in Aba, Who should be held responsible? You and I? When MEND goes on their violence rampage who should be held responsible you and I? When there are no electricity, good roads etc who should be held responsible? You and I.

Legendary
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by dayokanu(m): 7:22pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

If out of Religious fanatism I take up a cutlass and cut off my neighbours head, how do you blame anyone else but me for being a fanatic or my religion if it encourages hate and all those who associate with me if they help to stoke up hate through their rhetoric?

And in which country or religion dont we have fanatics. Why are the fanatics in other countries nipped in the bud before they carry out their acts. The ones in Jos for over a year yet its Buhari's fault

If we expect every human being to be responsible why do we need police or even govt?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Jenifa1: 7:26pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

This current violence has nothing to do with armed robbery. This is a systematic attack on people who are percieved to not be supporters of CPC.

You can not blame the President for such Babarism and cowardly behaviour. What I expect going forward is for the President to deal decisively with the perpatrators of such shameful evil.

i'm glad you recognize the need for GEJ to do something about it.

and what do you think is the source of riots before CPC?
as far as i'm concerned riots has been going on for many years now and the government isn't doing anything about it. Boko Haram still exists as well and the government is too weak to stop it. so what's your point?

maybe we should kill Buhari and all CPC members and instal a one party system. PDP for life. hehn?

I think you should be ashamed of yourself for excusing our inefficient government. if our govt is absolutely incapable of dealing with domestic issues how can we intervene in outside issues.

So when kidnappers went on rampage in Aba, Who should be held responsible? You and I? When MEND goes on their violence rampage who should be held responsible you and I? When there are no electricity, good roads etc who should be held responsible? You and I.

lol. don't mind him.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Apr 25, 2011
mojojojo:

Nigerian citizens have only a moral responsibility to one another. The security agencies have a constitutional responsibility to protect our lives and they are paid to do so. Are you trained  or equipped to ward off a hundred angry and frustrated youth? None of us is. We cannot continue to rely on the purity of the hearts of people. Everyone is different and some people are plain crazy.   We cannot depend on other people's rationality.

I did not want this thread to turn political or blame personalities. This is clearly an institutional problem.  

GEJ may not be directly responsible for this failure of our security agencies and may be a victim of some other person's incompetence (see Minister of Interior)  but the truth is as President the buck stops with him. He has the right to take credit for everything good that his government achieves and he will also take blame for its every failure. This is what it means to  be a leader.  

The security agencies have a constitutional responsibility on all Nigerians, however except you are suggesting that the Presidency should provide a bodyguard for all Nigerians their response to religious fanatism can only be reactionary. How do you know which man will take up arms to attack the other because they look different, speak a different language or pray to a different God?

The only long term solution to this problem is to arrest those who incite these violence, try them in courts and send them to jail but more importantly to campaign for wide condemnation of the act. If we are a serious Nation the Sultan of Sokoto and the Emirs should have by now mounted the podium, speak in the language these hoodlums understand and condemn these acts. They should also work with their local communities to pass information to security agencies on who finances and plans these babaric acts as well as those who execute them.

But to find justification for this wickedness blame all of it on the Presidency will not help matters. Even advanced countries don't have zero percent unemployment but it is not a licence to kill and maim others. Let us call a spade a spade and stop supporting this madness. Just like I di not condone the activities of MEND, I will not condone this one. Buhari and his CPC members should be investigated properly and brought to book for inciting this violence.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Jenifa1: 7:30pm On Apr 25, 2011
The only long term solution to this problem is to arrest those who incite these violence, try them in courts and send them to jail but more importantly to campaign for wide condemnation of the act.

GEJ is not doing any of this!! no one is doing investigation to find who is inciting the violence. all the killers are escaping without being caught. where is the police?
besides, it's also the government's job to make sure that they get to the root of the organized violence and snip it at the bud. why wait for the violence to occur before acting if you should be trying to PREVENT violence from occurring? what is the government doing to prevent the violence?
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Apr 25, 2011
@Dayokanu

When Kidnappers went on rampage in Aba the people of Aba rejected that babarism and assisted security agencies with info to fish out the hoodlums.

The last time I checked there has never been an overall condemnation in muslim comunities of the behaviours of these hoodlums. Rather some of you coming on here to find excuses are simply emboldening them.

Wide condemnation and rejection of these hoodlums by both muslims and non-muslims is important in being able to nip the madness in the bud.

But for political reasons folks up North always equivocate in times like these.

This is why we blame the CPC. Refusing to properly reject these hoodlums helps allow them to integrate with their community and makes the job of security agents even more difficult.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Kobojunkie: 7:36pm On Apr 25, 2011
mikeansy:

If anyone should be ashamed here, it ought to be you.

a) What do you mean you expect GOING FORWARD for the president to deal decisively with the perpetrators of such shameful evil? Did that really come from you?? shockedshockedshocked  

You mean all this while, we have not been expecting just that from our president? The C-in-C of the Country did not have that duty before now? You mean those who roasted/murdered about 500 people, last January 2010, were allowed to walk free because, going by your belief, it was probably never required of the C-in-C to prosecute all criminals, no matter their status?

Is this a way of explaining what has been happening with some of the high profile criminals -- they have been walking free because the C-in-C never thought it his duty to ensure all criminals are prosecuted for crimes committed?

I AM FRELLING SHOCKED that came from you!!!

b) You claim to be ashamed that we are excusing evil . . . . yet up to this point, none of those responding to you . ,   trying to get you to engage your medulla oblangata on this one has called for CRIMINALS or the PERPETRATORS in this case to be EXCUSED in anyway. Matter of fact what they have continually done is help ENLIGHTEN you on the fact that it is the place of Government to ENSURE that those who infringe on the security rights of Other citizens be prosecuted by Government, not by citizens who take the Law into their hands as you suggest over and over by pretending SECURITY should be in the hands of ordinary Nigerians.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Apr 25, 2011
dayokanu:

And in which country or religion dont we have fanatics. Why are the fanatics in other countries nipped in the bud before they carry out their acts. The ones in Jos for over a year yet its Buhari's fault

If we expect every human being to be responsible why do we need police or even govt?

You mean nipped as in Afghanistan,Iraq,somalia or Darfur  style abi? extremism is a bigger challenge to Nigeria and it's not just starting now,it's has been around since the colonial era o do you still want to know why Lugard didn't support missionary and introduction of western education in sokoto caliphate ? The fact still remains that the previous governments have failed to address extremism and almajirism and I can tell you that even if Nigeria securitu is 100% perfect,there will still remain the problem of exremism to address.
Re: Who To Blame For Post Election Violence? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 25, 2011
Kobojunkie:

If anyone should be ashamed here, it ought to be you.

a) What do you mean you expect GOING FORWARD for the president to deal decisively with the perpetrators of such shameful evil? Did that really come from you?? shockedshockedshocked 

You mean all this while, we have not been expecting just that from our president? The C-in-C of the Country did not have that duty before now? You mean the 500 people that were roasted to death last January were allowed to walk free because, going by your belief, it was probably never required of the C-in-C to prosecute all criminals, no matter their status? Is this a way of explaining what has been happening with some of the high profile criminals -- they have been walking free because the C-in-C never thought it his duty to ensure all criminals are prosecuted for crimes committed?

I AM FRELLING SHOCKED that came from you!!!

b) You claim to be ashamed that we are excusing evil . . . . yet up to this point, none of those responding to you . ,  trying to get you to engage your medulla oblangata on this one has called for CRIMINALS or the PERPETRATORS in this case to be EXCUSED in anyway. Matter of fact what they have continually done is help ENLIGHTEN you on the fact that it is the place of Government to ENSURE that those who infringe on the security rights of Other citizens be prosecuted by Government, not by citizens who take the Law into their hands as you suggest over and over by pretending SECURITY should be in the hands of ordinary Nigerians.

I challenge you to show me a post where you have resoundly condemned the acts of these hoodlums. This madness has been going on for two weeks, so show me a previous post where you specificly condemned the violence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Of Africa (ayes) Reject Islamic Banking, Warn Sanusi Lamido / Breaking News: President Buhari Caught Live On Camera In London / Ibori Endorses Gov. Okowa’s Re-election Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.