Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,314 members, 7,815,572 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:41 PM

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? (22718 Views)

Why Do Women Divorcees Still Bear Their Ex Husband's Name After Divorce / Why Do Women Change Their Names After Getting Married?? / Why So Many Women Still Take Their Husband’s Last Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 6:19pm On May 06, 2021
I'm curious to know. Is it legal to keep your husband's name after a divorce?

Please lawyers in the house help a sister. I really want to know.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 6:22pm On May 06, 2021
No it is not legal to keep your ex-husband's name. You can dump his name with him or keep it if you want to. The choice is entirely your's.

37 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 6:25pm On May 06, 2021
budaatum:
No it is not legal to keep your ex-husband's name. You can dump his name with him or keep it if you want to. The choice is entirely your's.
So I can't use it when filling forms such as job application forms, loan forms, property receipt, etc?
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Daveambition(m): 6:34pm On May 06, 2021
Sappire, i thought y'all said "TheFutureIsFemale" abi yu sef dey plan Digamy move ni?

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 6:34pm On May 06, 2021
saphiere:
So I can't use it when filling forms such as job application forms, loan forms, property receipt, etc?

If your divorced husband's name is on your official documents you can of course use it. It could be on your certificates for instance, or drivers license etc, if you got them while married.

I would suggest you legally revert to your maiden name however, and have your ex-husband name bearing documents changed or affidavit supported to show they belong to new named you.

Since the purpose of a divorce is to excise him from you, what's the point of still being chained to his name?

118 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 6:39pm On May 06, 2021
budaatum:

If your divorced husband's name is on your official documents you can of course use it. It could be on your certificates for instance, or drivers license etc, if you got them while married.

I would suggest you legally revert to your maiden name however, and have your ex-husband name bearing documents changed or affidavit supported to show they belong to new named you.

Since the purpose of a divorce is to excise him from you, what's the point of still being chained to his name?
Thanks for your reply. What about the title "Mrs"? You go back to "Miss"?

5 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by 3lovelyflowers(f): 6:43pm On May 06, 2021
Let me learn
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Romanoff(f): 6:46pm On May 06, 2021
You don't need to change your name after a divorce.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 6:47pm On May 06, 2021
saphiere:

I do not think the title means much, though the use of Mrs gives the impression of marriage, which is not true if you are divorced. If you use Mrs it will be assumed by some that your husband is Mr maiden name, is all.

Here is an explanation in detail.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 7:11pm On May 06, 2021
budaatum:

I do not think the title means much, though the use of Mrs gives the impression of marriage, which is not true if you are divorced. If you use Mrs it will be assumed by some that your husband is Mr maiden name, is all.

Here is an explanation in detail.
Thanks a lot. I appreciate.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by mariahAngel(f): 8:47pm On May 06, 2021
saphiere:

You can simply be addressed as madam.
Once a Mrs, cannot be a Miss.

If children are involved, I think she can keep the name if she wishes to.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 8:49pm On May 06, 2021
mariahAngel:

You can simply be addressed as madam.
Once a Mrs, cannot be a Miss.

If children are involved, I think she can keep the name if she wishes to.
Thanks and God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Mecka: 11:13pm On May 06, 2021
Whether or not you want to keep your married name or go back to using your maiden name after divorce, its up to you. You can simply keep using it if you do wish to keep your married name. You may wish to consider whether to change your title following divorce to ms or miss rather that mrs but again this is a personal choice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by sisisioge: 3:20am On May 07, 2021
saphiere:

You stop using Mrs but can use Miss(for single unmarried woman) or Ms(for woman whose marital status is unclear). Once you legally change your name from his. It doesn't matter, the choice is entirely yours.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by zolajpower: 4:18am On May 07, 2021
saphiere:

After you cut ties or disengage from your employment do you still possess the ID of your former employer? Answer the question correctly (10 marks )
grin
The future is female

78 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by iampeterben(m): 4:57am On May 07, 2021
saphiere:

The way am looking at this your post hope you don't wanna divorce me like this so?
NLanders come to my aide my wife want to divorce me oh!

15 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Stormyharper(m): 5:25am On May 07, 2021
iampeterben:

The way am looking at this your post hope you don't wanna divorce me like this so?
NLanders come to my aide my wife want to divorce me oh!

Lol you be character what Nairaland has joined together let know one put asunder grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 5:42am On May 07, 2021
zolajpower:

After you cut ties or disengage from your employment do you still possess the ID of your former employer? Answer the question correctly (10 marks )
grin
The future is female
Hmm

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by zolajpower: 5:56am On May 07, 2021
saphiere:
Hmm

Na so ooo grin
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by pocohantas(f): 7:23am On May 07, 2021
Florence Ita Giwa never commot her own. Marriage wey no reach 1 year sef.

Na she fit them. grin

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Kondomatic(m): 7:30am On May 07, 2021
These people's wahala no get direction.

Some of the married ones no wan use husband's name while some divorced no wan let the name go.

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by pocohantas(f): 7:35am On May 07, 2021
Kondomatic:
These people's wahala no get direction. Some of the married ones no wan use husband's name while some divorced no wan let the name go.

Yes ke, because they know any small thing, you will want to collect your name back. So why not leave them with their father’s name that remains a constant. You can’t change your father, but you can change husband.

Imagine as Stella Damasus for done do change of name if she was actually changing names officially. This is one place I like Islam.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Kondomatic(m): 9:06am On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

Yes ke, because they know any small thing, you will want to collect your name back. So why not leave them with their father’s name that remains a constant. You can’t change your father, but you can change husband.

Imagine as Stella Damasus for done do change of name if she was actually changing names officially. This is one place I like Islam.
Well I think it's her decision to make but it doesn't just feel right to me, I mean keeping ex-husband's name. It's somehow.

What if she decides to remarry? Will she keep ex hubby's name or take a new one?

If taking a new one is easy then why she no kuku reset to default settings after the first marriage no work.

Abeg e tire me.

I no wan get headache this morning.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by iampeterben(m): 2:09pm On May 07, 2021
Stormyharper:

Lol you be character what Nairaland has joined together let know one put asunder grin grin
Thanks brother God bless you.
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Klass99(f): 2:50pm On May 07, 2021
smiley

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by saphiere(f): 4:09pm On May 07, 2021
pocohantas:

Good evening. Muslims don't answer husbands name?

2 Likes

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by tobechi20(m): 5:59pm On May 07, 2021
Change of name process is too long. Better keep it as your retirement package till u get new husband

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by budaatum: 7:49pm On May 07, 2021
Klass99:

Lol grin are you deliberately being thick headed with this question?

Saphiere how old are you?

I am not laughing, it just needs to be asked.

Klass99 how old are you?
Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 12:16am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
You can use Ms.Which is pronounced as miz this one is used both by married and unmarried women including divorced women you can also use madam as well.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Wickedfacts: 12:17am On May 08, 2021
Depends on if he's rich or not

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Do Women Still Bear Their Husbands' Names After A Divorce? by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 12:19am On May 08, 2021
saphiere:
Good evening. Muslims don't answer husbands name?
It is not compulsory some of them choose to add it or not even bother at all.A woman is considered her father's daughter even after marriage.Change of name is not compulsory anywhere it is just a norm and people would love to be seen as a family unit and won't want to have different surnames so that it won't be complicated for them when it comes to doing official things together.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Why The Government Should Review Traditional Marriage Lists / How Do You Resolve Conflicts/disagreements With Your Spouse? / How Do You Work It Out With Your Low Libido Partner

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.