Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:22 AM

Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him (63393 Views)

Noel Njoku, Nigerian Driver Shot Dead While Delivering Food In USA (Picture) / Noel Brown Is Kidnapper Evans New Lawyer / Soldiers Kill Vigilante Man In Edo, Free Robber Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by profndu(m): 1:50pm On May 11, 2021
#Justice4Ziggy #Justicr4Noel

Five days after allegedly killing a 100-level student of the Imo State University, Divine Nwaneri, in front of the state Government House, soldiers have allegedly shot and killed a businessman, Noel Chigbu.

The victim’s elder brother and spokesman for the family, Tobechi Chigbu, told PUNCH Metro on Monday that the military men at the Amakohia flyover in Owerri killed Noel around 10pm on Friday.

He said Noel was shot dead on the day he took delivery of his new Camry car and was driving home at the close of work.

The distraught Tobechi said Noel was killed after dropping off his friend and was driving home.

He told our correspondent that the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of operations in the state was the one, who told the family that the soldiers said that they shot him because he violated their checkpoint rule.

Tobechi said, “Noel was one of my young brothers. He would have been 39 on May 18, but unfortunately, he was shot dead on the day he took delivery of his new vehicle. His corpse was dumped at the Federal Medical Centre in Owerri by the soldiers, who killed him.

“The Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of operations told us that the military men, who brought his car to the command headquarters, said they killed him for violating their checkpoint rule.”

He said the family would ensure that the soldiers, who killed his brother, were identified and prosecuted.

Tobechi said, “Noel was the owner of Shawarma Zone in front of the Home Away Palace by Ukaigwe Hospital, Akwakuma junction, Owerri. He just dropped of his friend, who also does the same business with him in front of the Amakohia Market. It was around 10pm on Friday, April 30. His friend, whom he dropped off, said it was not up to three minutes after he alighted from the vehicle when he heard gunshots in the destination Noel drove to. He didn’t know that it was his friend, who was shot by the soldiers.

“His (Noel’s) whereabouts became unknown as he didn’t return home that night. His wife became worried and started calling us. The number was ringing and nobody was picking it until about 5.30 in the evening of the following day. One person picked it and said that he was a policeman at the control room at the state police command headquarters in Owerri and asked us to come.

“At first, we felt he had a problem with someone without knowing that the military men had killed him and dumped his corpse in a morgue at the FMC, Owerri. On reaching the police command headquarters, my brother identified his new car and when we approached the car, we found out that the back windscreen was shot. All the four tyres were deflated. We also saw blood on the driver’s seat. Chika Chigbu, my younger brother, immediately sensed danger.

“The front windscreen and all the window glasses were intact. Only the back screen was shattered by gunshots.”

He added, “When we got there, they directed us to the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of operations, who told us that soldiers brought the vehicle around 1am on Saturday. The solders dropped his phone, the car key and a bunch of keys to his house with the police. He also said the military guys dropped N5,400 belonging to my brother.

“At first, he said the military men didn’t want to make any statement, but the police insisted and reluctantly in a quarter page sheet, the soldiers wrote that the owner of the vehicle violated their checkpoint rule and they shot and killed him. They also wrote that the relatives of the owner of the vehicle should be referred to the FMC in Owerri if they come around.”

Tobechi said the family would make a proper presentation to the military to demand justice for his brother.

“Noel’s wife is four months pregnant as we speak. He had a son, who turned two years a day after my brother was killed by soldiers. His daughter is only four years. We want to ensure that an innocent and hardworking young man like my brother gets justice. He was killed by people who are paid by our taxes, people who were supposed to protect him,” he added.

When contacted, the spokesman for the 34 Artillery Brigade, Obinze, Owerri, Lieutenant Babatunde Zubairu, said that he was not aware of the incident.

On a further inquiry, he said he would only be aware if the family makes an official presentation to the military.

Source: https://punchng.com/soldiers-kill-businessman-in-car-at-owerri-checkpoint-lie-against-victim/?amp

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by 10mobile: 1:58pm On May 11, 2021
Their way.
Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by paulolee(m): 2:01pm On May 11, 2021
just too bad....this country is getting worst than a zoo, more like a jungle that anything goes...
killed such a vibrant man n nothing would happen..

136 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Totilopussylick(m): 2:13pm On May 11, 2021
Life has no value for this shithole country.

74 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Nobody: 2:26pm On May 11, 2021
Shit happens to any one of my family member, am gonna take the fight directly to the soldiers. I must make sure I hunt and kill each and every one on patrol team that killed him. No dice. 1. Make ur self unavailable for their condolence 2. Get to know their routine with respect to their restaurant/ bar, 3, or d gate to their lodge, F.A.R C rebels have their pattern .3 is d best

242 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by UwaMmebii(m): 2:32pm On May 11, 2021
This look like assassination, I just hope is not his friend that team up with soldiers to carryout this act. RIP Chigbu

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Nobody: 2:39pm On May 11, 2021
2nd soldier killingsad

7 Likes

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 11, 2021
It beats me that they didn't tag him an unknown gun man.

You will all reap what you sow.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by tunjiajayi: 4:55pm On May 11, 2021
The saying that goes don't bring a dog home if you are allergic to fleas and ticks is apt here.

Yamrees make una cope with una dog.

6 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by kindlyheart: 7:14pm On May 11, 2021
we need peace.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by weslay: 7:50pm On May 11, 2021
How many more Igbo youths need to die before igbos realise that Mazi Nnamdi Kalu and his family are overseas.

If he really wish to liberate his people, he should at least do the noble thing by coming back home.

Shayetet13:

Is it Nnamdi the one also directing Fulani herdsmen? So people should be killed and you want them to do nothing. They should not defend themselves. What has Nnamdi done, that is is linked to self defence? Would there be ESN if herdmen weren't killing? Would there be talk about Biafra if Igbos weren't slaughtered in the North and marginalised. But, I think you are evil. You have never condemned a Fulani attack, but quick to stop those who just simply want to stop being killed.

I agree with you that any group of people has the right to defend itself against planned onslaught. Also, I supported the creation of ESN with the sole aim of protecting Igbos from been slaughter in their land. However, the recent turn if events that has resulted in killing of policemen some of whom might be Igbos and burning down of government buildings clearly shows that ESN has lost it's focus and if the current situation is not addressed the entire south east could be heading for anarchy.

I have no problems with IPOB/ESN/EbubeAgu. As a matter of fact, I think it is necessary. The problem I have is when you try to fight everyone at the same time. Know who your enemies are, know those you have to fight now and those you save for later.

22 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by YungMillionaire: 10:55pm On May 11, 2021
Some people will be on Nairaland and twitter celebrating the killing of soldiers and police. U na think say soldiers and police no dey use social media? Unfortunately, this is Nigeria, and the military will waste a lot of innocent peoples' lives just for retaliation. My advice to anyone living in SE is to keep a low profile until everything blows over. I won't be surprise if they are just hunting at this point.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Nobody: 12:53am On May 12, 2021
Yoruba Muslims and all Nigerians should come here and see why we don't need army deployment in Igbo land, they will only kill the innocent igbos and also Lie just like Lai Mohammed....
God keep blessing UGM where ever they are, if you are UGM on nairaland I love you... i pray Nigerian soldiers will use their head to pay for any innocent igbos killed by them....
Allah that didn't condemn the innocent youth killed by soldiers on tole gate won't also condemn when the fulanis terrorist will all die miserable in the hands of UGM..
No Yoruba Muslims will comment against the soldiers that killed the innocent Igbo man but when UGM kills the soldiers they will start commenting how Igbo land is turning to NorthEast....
I'm happy Allah of Muslims is in support of terrorist Bokoharams at least Allah will not vex when the terrorist army's will die miserable.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Felason(m): 3:47am On May 12, 2021
They killed someone in Zamfara and quickly came to apologize and promised investigation and now,the OIC is not aware of this one in the East?

If you keep pushing people to the wall and don't expect them to retaliate,you are the big fool.

120 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by jboycrb(m): 5:12am On May 12, 2021
Bad news from.Nigeria , everyday. cry
Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by YoungBlackRico(m): 7:30am On May 12, 2021
Given the rising tension in that particular state and the fact that these guys are being targeted, please comply with their directives when you get to their check point...no go dey form James Bond, UGM won't be there to safe you.

R.I.P

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by debbydams(f): 10:24am On May 12, 2021
cry
Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Bornsinner7: 10:29am On May 12, 2021
Unknown soldier na him do am - Fela

Is violating check point rule enough reason to waste a young man

41 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Tonyspecial(m): 10:30am On May 12, 2021
Nigeria can never be the same again

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Deathforall: 10:30am On May 12, 2021
angry

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by oguns222: 10:30am On May 12, 2021
Any soldier that ever spill the blood of innocent civilians or harass civilians, may you find yourself in problems that your guns cannot solve. Amen.

May you fall from.the bullets of terrorists before this year runs out. Amen.

56 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Offpoint1: 10:30am On May 12, 2021
What
Do they mean by "he violate their checkpoint rule"? They just wasted a young man life with silly excuse.

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by BruncleZuma: 10:30am On May 12, 2021
sad sad sad sad
Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 10:31am On May 12, 2021
Whoever takes the life of a son or daughter of the soil, be you a Fulani animal in the zoo military, you MUST SURELY pay with your own blood at the appropriate time.

It is has been signed and stamped
Na so e be!

Joromi1:
He could be an IPOB terrorist undercover.

Another shameless afonja head slammer has gained access to 10mb data!

24 Likes

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by TalkTalkTwins(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2021
So much blood has been spilled in our state cry

Today's survivors can be the tomorrow's victim!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by gambia(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2021
Black lives matter, I tired of hearing all these bad news.
Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Muyiwaipere(m): 10:32am On May 12, 2021
Scores update

1 Like

Re: Soldiers Kill Noel Chigbu In His Car At Owerri Checkpoint, Lie Against Him by Trailblazer1(m): 10:32am On May 12, 2021
They will surely pay

UGM over to you undecided

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

8 Suspected Prostitutes Arrested At Azazi's Abandoned Lagos House (Photo) / Nigerians Robbing A Bureau De Change In Dubai Where They Stole N231m(video) / Female Soldier Punishes Man For Wearing Camouflage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.