Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,781 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:47 PM

How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? (10862 Views)

Mother Accuses Soldiers Of Stomping 20-month-old Baby To Death In Delta (pic) / British Mum Leaves Baby To Die During Sex Romp With A Nigerian(PIC) / Banned From Speaking My Language To My Baby (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by XX01(f): 1:52am On Apr 28, 2011
He sleeps well for the first 2 hrs after his bath but subsequently, he keeps turning, twisting, grunting and then sometimes makes this little screech of pain. It is quite alarming. The paediatrician believes its just gas and he will outgrow it but its so hard 2 watch. I make sure i burp him after every meal no matter how long it takes or how late at night. i am breastfeeding so he should have less colic. Its heartbreaking. He now has some black bags under his eyes showing, he is not sleeping well.

Please, can u help a first time mother out?
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by obowunmi(m): 3:03am On Apr 28, 2011
Eya! Wish I could help out.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Outstrip(f): 3:25am On Apr 28, 2011
It might be colic though it is hard to tell. My sisters son used to cry after every meal. It was horrible to hear him cry over the phone. When I visited them and actually saw it with my own eyes I also cried. He turned so red and was crying I was sure we needed to call an ambulance but they said that was normal and the dr said it was fine cry He is 6 years old now and he is a perfectly normal healthy kid. I know it is hard to watch but if you feel you have done everything and sought professional help then there is probably nothing else you can do
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Nekai(f): 3:39am On Apr 28, 2011
It could be normal colic and if it is then it's just a matter of waiting it out. It could also be that your baby has an allergy to something that you are eating. Dark circles usually go hand in hand with allergies/sensitivities. This website has a few suggestions concerning foods to avoid while breastfeeding:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-there-any-foods-i-should-avoid-while-breastfeeding_8906.bc

Occasionally a baby will be fussy at the breast or gassy after you eat a particular food. If you notice a pattern, avoid that food for a few days. To test whether that food really was the cause, reintroduce it once and see if there's an effect. Mothers report that babies most often object to chocolate; spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili pepper); citrus fruits and their juices, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit; strawberries; kiwifruit; pineapple; the gassy veggies (onion, cabbage, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers); and fruits with a laxative effect, such as cherries and prunes.

If you think that something you're eating is causing problems for your baby, it's usually something you've eaten two to six hours before feeding. The most common culprits include cows' milk products, followed by soy, wheat, egg, nuts, and corn or corn syrup.

Talk to your baby's doctor before you omit any foods from your diet. If avoiding a food could cause a nutritional imbalance (for example, if you eliminate all dairy products), you may need to see a nutritionist for advice on substituting other foods or taking nutritional supplements. Continue taking your prenatal vitamin as long as your baby's fully breastfed to cover any gaps in your own diet.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Odunnu: 3:55am On Apr 28, 2011
Colic? How do I prevent my baby from having colic? (whatever that means)
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Genius100: 4:46am On Apr 28, 2011
How old is your baby? Probably a few months. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. My baby experienced the exact same thing. It disappeared on its own after a few months. It will take several months before your baby starts to sleep for long hours. Your Paeditrician is right, your baby will outgrow it,
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Nobody: 7:04am On Apr 28, 2011
//
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by XX01(f): 9:30am On Apr 28, 2011
Thanks guys for your responses. I have tried all your suggestions. I don't expect him to sleep all through the night. He wakes every 2 hrs to feed and I don't mind at all. My problem is that I want him to get quality sleep. Once he lays down, he will start twisting and turning and arching his back. He then wakes with black bags under his eyes like he didn't sleep well. I want 2 improve the quality not the length of his sleep. Anymore ideas?
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Ferya(f): 1:05pm On Apr 28, 2011
I think you should you go back to the hospital and see another doctor for proper checkup.

I understand your point really, always lay him on his tummy it helps too. Then relax it will stop with time.

Takecare
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Busybody2(f): 9:06pm On Apr 28, 2011
Take your baby back to the Doctor for a second opinion, the worst they can do is roll their eyes and call you an anxious Mother. Babies need to sleep up to 20 hours a day during the first few months and should not be getting dark circles under their eyes at that stage.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by ada24: 11:57pm On Apr 28, 2011
how old is your son?

20 hours kei? i'm lucky to get 12 hours of sleep a day from my daughter

I would say depending on how old your son is try and start a routine, I started my (almost) 4 month old on a routine as soon as she hit 3 months and it has been working since. Bath, feed and then sleep at a set time every night. I make everywhere quiet and if she doesn't sleep after eating then i just put her down until she is tired but no playing or loud noises. I was quite lucky cos she never suffered from colic but she did use to wake up A LOT in the first 2 months at night and had BIG problems with wind for the first 5 weeks, she was in a lot of pain, crying and finding it hard to sleep peacefully. I gave her infacol until she was able to take gripe water at 5 weeks

Try gripe water (like others have mentioned) and infacol
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by XX01(f): 9:54am On Apr 29, 2011
He is almost 2 months. He already has a set routine which i started a month back. I bathe him at 7 morning and evening. He wakes up for it and is awake throughout. He sleeps without fuss and wakes every 2 hours 2 feed. Except in d afternoons when he stays awake longer and eats more. However, when he sleeps, he has so much gas. Everything I do disturbs the sleep more because he wakes and refuses to go back to sleep. He keeps throwing up the gripe water so i stopped giving it to him.

Last night was really bad. I stayed up all night with him on my knees to relieve the gas. I am on my way to the hospital now. Hope I get real advice not their generic, "it will pass". Wish me luck.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Ferya(f): 10:39am On Apr 29, 2011
@ Poster

Lets know how it went. All the best!!.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Outstrip(f): 2:24pm On Apr 29, 2011
XX01:

He is almost 2months. He already has a set routine which i started a month back. I bathe him at 7 mornin and evenin. He wakes up for it and is awake throughout. He sleeps without fuss n wakes every 2 hours 2 feed. Except in d afternoons when he stays awake longer and eats more. However, when he sleeps, he has so much gas. Everythin i do even disturbs the sleep more cos he wakes and refuses to go back to sleep. He keeps throwin up the gripe water so i stopped givin it to him.

Last night was really bad. I stayed up all night with him on my knees to relieve the gas. I am on my way to the hospital now. Hope i get real advice not their generic, "it will pass". Wish me luck.

Is he sleeping in bed with you? Maybe you need to put him in his own bed
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by XX01(f): 9:31am On Apr 30, 2011
Finally, I got some answers. Seems like he could be reacting to some of the food i eat especially the proteins. I have to stop all diary products for a week and see if it helps the gas. Then slowly re-introduce them one by one to see which one is causing the excess gas.

Seems like the black circles under his eyes are my fault. When he wakes in the afternoon, he usually stays awake till 7pm when i bathe him and then he sleeps. The doctor said he is too young to be awake that long so he needs extra help to sleep than at night. Usually he drops off when i breastfeed him and rock him gently. When he stopped falling off to sleep that way in the afternoon, i Thought he was ready to stay awake and play. So yesterday, i wore him in a baby sling and went about my day. He slept and woke up several times and this morning, the circles are almost gone. Ignorance is a killer.

Thanks guys for your help. P.S he sleeps in his cot which is beside my bed.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by tpia5: 11:10am On Apr 30, 2011
Breastfed babies tend to be rather more alert but colicky, imo.

Bottle fed ones are generally more sanguine (laid back)but have more throw up.

So yes, it could be something in your breastmilk.

However, it IS a stage many if not most babies pass through. Not sure if there's any real way to avoid it.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by shadrach77: 1:46am On May 02, 2011
give the baby valium! grin grin grin
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by clintwine(m): 3:18am On May 02, 2011
shadrach, your not well, abeg take your advise somewhere else.
What of if the poster doesn't know what vallium is and uses it?
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by hazureal(f): 6:20am On May 02, 2011
How is your baby now? I hope there has been tremendous improvement. In addition to the solutions proffered, you could trying supporting his head on a small pillow (to raise his head above d rest of his body) when he sleeps, or put d small pillow under his mattress to raise it a bit. This will prevent any stomach contents from moving up towards the baby's throat.
I wish you all the best.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Nekai(f): 7:45am On May 02, 2011
XX01:

Finally, i got some answers. Seems like he could be reactin to some of the food i eat especially the proteins. I have to stop all diary products for a week and see if it helps the gas. Then slowly re-introduce them one by one to see which one is causin the excess gas.

Seems like the black circles under his eyes are my fault. When he wakes in the afternoon, he usually stays awake til 7pm wen i bathe him and then he sleeps. The doctor said he is too young to be awake that long so he needs extra help to sleep than at night. Usually he drops off when i breastfeed him and rock him gently. When he stopped falling off to sleep that way in the afternoon, i Thought he was ready to stay awake and play. So yesterday, i wore him in a baby sling and went about my day. He slept and woke up several times and this mornin, the circles are almost gone. Ignorance is a killer.

Thanks guys for your help. P.S he sleeps in his cot which is beside my bed.

The spambot released my earlier post:

It could be normal colic and if it is then it's just a matter of waiting it out. It could also be that your baby has an allergy to something that you are eating. Dark circles usually go hand in hand with allergies/sensitivities. This website has a few suggestions concerning foods to avoid while breastfeeding:

http://www.babycenter.com/404_are-there-any-foods-i-should-avoid-while-breastfeeding_8906.bc

Occasionally a baby will be fussy at the bosom or gassy after you eat a particular food. If you notice a pattern, avoid that food for a few days. To test whether that food really was the cause, reintroduce it once and see if there's an effect. Mothers report that babies most often object to chocolate; spices (cinnamon, garlic, curry, chili pepper); citrus fruits and their juices, like oranges, lemons, limes, and grapefruit; strawberries; kiwifruit; pineapple; the gassy veggies (onion, cabbage, garlic, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumbers, and peppers); and fruits with a laxative effect, such as cherries and prunes.

If you think that something you're eating is causing problems for your baby, it's usually something you've eaten two to six hours before feeding. The most common culprits include cows' milk products, followed by soy, wheat, egg, nuts, and corn or corn syrup.

Talk to your baby's doctor before you omit any foods from your diet. If avoiding a food could cause a nutritional imbalance (for example, if you eliminate all dairy products), you may need to see a nutritionist for advice on substituting other foods or taking nutritional supplements. Continue taking your prenatal vitamin as long as your baby's fully breastfed to cover any gaps in your own diet.

1 Like

Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by azyaq(m): 8:26am On May 02, 2011
av you try herbs?i mean (alagbo)
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by andyanders: 9:14am On May 02, 2011
TAKE THE BABY FOR PRAYERS. IT COULD BE AN ATTACK. YOU CAN GO TO SCAON= SYNAGOGUE CHURCH OF ALL NATIONS.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by DEEHASAL(m): 9:47am On May 02, 2011
andyanders:

TAKE THE BABY FOR PRAYERS. IT COULD BE AN ATTACK. YOU CAN GO TO SCAON= SYNAGOGUE CHURCH OF ALL NATIONS.

Are you serious??
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Omoteeh: 11:13am On May 02, 2011
ADVISE FROM THE JEWISH DOCTOR WHO CIRCUMCISED MY SON:SPRINKLE GINGER POWDER(GROUND GINGER) ON ALL YOUE MEALS BEFORE EATING(JUST A LITTLE), ONCE YOUR BABY GETS THIS FROM THE BREAST MILK, SHE/HE WILL PASS ALL THE GAS BY FARTING AND BELCHING AND THIS WILL REALLY RELIEVE HER/HIM. WORKS WONDERS.It's just the gas causing discomfort, mine sleeps 5 hrs straight now aat night and he's 6 weeks.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by whiteroses(f): 1:55pm On May 02, 2011
not a doctor but dont stop looking for a solution and dark circles on a toddler is a little funky never seen it before but lots of mummy hugs and kisses until things change x
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by sley4life(m): 2:41pm On May 02, 2011
over breast dem
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by roy4real(m): 4:17pm On May 02, 2011
@ Andyanders is right. Please take your baby to Senior Prophet T.B Joshua @ Synagogue Church of All Nations(SCOAN) Lagos Nigeria for deliverance to disgrace that demon.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by zayhal(f): 5:50pm On May 02, 2011
roy4real:

@ Andyanders is right. Please take your baby to Senior Prophet T.B Joshua @ Synagogue Church of All Nations(SCOAN) Lagos Nigeria for deliverance to disgrace that demon.
Nonsense.

@topic

good to know you found a solution. But remember babies can get fussy anytime. Prepare your mind for it.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by skelemba: 8:44pm On May 02, 2011
To know what's happening in your world, follow us @mypages10 on twitter. If you are not on twitter, stay abreast and get a free twitter account. www.twitter.com/mypages10.
Also get a chance to win free recharge cards on our weekly quiz. Tell your friends and family.
Email us on mypages1.0@gmail.com for enquiry. The Weekly quiz holds every Sunday from 4pm-6pm.
Prize goes to the first correct answer via retweet.(Please do not send your answers via direct message) do let us know the mobile network you use alongside your answer when you are retweeting.
U can also say that '@mypages10 provides u with the latest tweets on what's happening around the globe so you can be sure to stay intouch with you world even as you tweet.
Please Note weekly quiz start from the 22nd of may 2011
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by bayleaf(m): 12:29pm On May 03, 2011
Odunnu:

Colic? How do I prevent my baby from having colic? (whatever that means)
i dont think you can prevent your baby from having colic. most first born babies especially boys do have them. it normally goes after the first 3 months, and doctors most times would advise that you stick to breastmilk for the child other than giving drugs for it. painful to see your baby go through such pain though but he would live.
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by Ivbade: 2:58pm On May 03, 2011
Well there are somethings you need to know as a mother when nursing especially your first baby. First of all your baby is OK!But How often does he move his bowel? is he on exclusive breast feeding? does he pass gas often? Do you massage his navel with hot water 3times daily? do you take him through the baby exercise after bathing for him? These are things you can use to help him sleep well for now. Definitely after 3months he will overgrow it. Nothing to worry about, its only a phase that will be over very soon. Just try to enjoy it, God bless you and your baby!
Re: How Do I Get My Baby To Sleep Peacefully? by chines4(m): 4:54pm On May 03, 2011
Educative

(1) (2) (Reply)

Best Way To Correct Children / Are Nigerian Men Scared Of Having A Will? / How Often Do You Talk To Your Parents?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.