Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,046 members, 7,863,720 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 02:04 AM

Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? (14964 Views)

Remi Tinubu Calls Woman 'Thug' At Constitution Review Hearing (Video) / Southern And Northern Kaduna Agree To Split Kaduna State At Constitution Review / Constitution Review Hearing: Present Your Propositions Now, Lawan Tells Agitator (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by membranus: 4:14pm On May 26, 2021
Our constitution is beyond repair, let's scrap it all together, because it is veered towards pleasing one section of the country, whereby monkeys will be working and baboons will be feeding on the products of their sweats.

Let us have another constituent assembly of all the country's nationalities where we will decide if we want to stay together or go our separate ways.

And if we are going to stay together, let us have all the terms and conditions plainly stated out in fairness and equity to all sections of the country.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by iheanyi1: 4:37pm On May 26, 2021
Nigeria is a secular state. Therefore Sharia law should be expounged from the constitution

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Kunmzy91(m): 5:09pm On May 26, 2021
Where is Ekiti state?
I can't find my fiancee's beloved state ooo
Abi dem no wan join the Constitutional Review or Amendment ni 🙄

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Owologbo(m): 5:24pm On May 26, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
CONSTITUTION REVIEW HEARING: WHAT WOULD YOU WANT REVIEWED IN THE CONSTITUTION?

The Senate Zonal Public Hearing on the Constitution Review Comes up Today (26th May 2021) and Tomorrow (27th May 2017) in two centres each across the Six Geo-political Zones in Nigeria.
The Public Hearing would happen simultaneously in all these 12 centres between 10am and 5pm, both today and tomorrow.
These Centres are listed below:

I. North-Central 1 - Jos Centre
(Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue)

2. North-Central 2 - Minna Centre
(Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCT)

3. North-East 1 - Bauchi Centre
(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

4. North-East 2 - Gombe Centre
(Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)

5. North-West 1 - Kaduna Centre
(Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina)

6. North-West 2 - Sokoto Centre
(Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)

7. South-East 1 - Owerri Centre
(Imo and Abia)

8. South-East 2 - Enugu Centre
(Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)

9. South-South 1 - Asaba Centre
(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

10. South-South 2 - Port Harcourt Centre
(Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)

11. South-West 1 - Lagos Centre
(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

12. South-West 2 - Akure Centre
(Osun and Ondo).
In as much as many Well-Meaning Nigerians would have wanted to be there at the hearing, the painful truth is that they may not end up being there in the end. And since there are no alternative online/virtual means for citizens to contribute to the hearing, it then means that the reviews that these well-meaning Nigerians have in their minds for which they couldn't get themselves to the venues of the hearing in order to contribute, may end up remaining with them forever.
Nevertheless, I earnestly hope that those persons who finally made it to the venues of the hearing would point out “Many” of those issues which the supposed “absentees” were having in their minds.

For me, - and that is, speaking for myself - I would be very happy if these issues I am listing here below are reviewed (or added to the Constitution):

1. “Independent Candidacy In Elections”. Let it not be a compulsory factor that a candidate must come from a political party.

2. “Electronic Voting”. Let the options for electronic technologies be allowed in our elections, and let the options allowed not be restricted or specifically mentioned, this is because, as technology continues to advance, better technological options may become available.

3. “Expanding the Conditions and Options for the use of REFERENDUMS”. Referendums at the moment (according to the current Constitution) can only be used when there is need for the creation of a new State or LGA or to adjust the boundaries of existing States or LGAs. It can also be used when a legislative member is to be recalled by the constituents who voted him/her. That is a very shallow and a very narrow use of Referendums in Nigeria. Provisions should be made to expand the use of Referendums. A full section should be included in the Constitution about Referendums; and it should be in such a way that the Legislature Calls for it in order for it to be used to decide some important national issues, and then the Executive Council Approves it, and finally the Electoral Body Conducts it.

4. “Separation of the Local Police, State Police, Regional Police, and Federal Police”. This one is simple. No much explanations are needed. Or alternatively, let all policemen be posted back to their Local-Government-Areas. (Police is not Military. Police is mainly for maintaining the internal peace and order, and this should be done with the use of Minimum Force. When the case gets bigger than the use of Minimum Force, then a Tactical Team should be deployed. Policemen shouldn't be moving around with deadly weapons).

5. “Total reformation of the Police Force”. All the functions and operations of the Police Force should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the use of firearms should be highly restricted for the police. Also, police should stop operating as if they are military men.

6. “Total reformation of the Military”. All the functions of the Military should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the military should not be seen anyhow in the cities and on the highways as if they are Policemen. The Military functions are totally different from Police Functions. Let it clearly stated that Military can only be seen at places where there is serious unrest, or at places where there is total breakdown of peace and order.

I think these are all that I can say for now.
If I remember others, I can add them in the comments below.
YOU ARE ALSO FREE TO ADD YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BELOW..
resource control.
Let every state manage and control their natural resources while they pay certain percentage to the federal government.
FG should allow States governors to take charge of roads, power, and other infrastructures in their States.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by rhames(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2021
JosephXavier:
OP the KS for your contribution especially that if Referendum

I think the sharing of money at Abuja as revenue should be revisited. How Kano state will benefit from taxes generated from sales if alcohol from Lagos while destroying bottles if alcohol in their state

I also think that the allocation formulae should be revisited too, states should be given more money and more responsibilities like policing, building of power plants and construction of rails should be given to states too that can afford it

Reduction of SA's and PA's to political office holders should be reduced

Senate should also be reformed, if possible, there should be a unilateral or part time parliamentary to reduce cost of governance

This is one reason why the north will either frustrate or not agree with in the first place because they are the largest beneficiary of the current arrangement. Until the Middle Belt wakes up from their slumber and partner with the eat of the country before progress ca be made.

State Police was one of OBJs promise until he frustrated it alongside his paymasters up North.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Oppy2k2: 6:29pm On May 26, 2021
The decree promulgated during the military regime that gives exclusive right to doctors to head hospital should be cancel. The position should be open for hospital administrators and any qualified health professionals.

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Emekus999(m): 7:22pm On May 26, 2021
All state governors, should employ at least 2/3of it's graduated youth annually... Immunity shouldn't be granted to governors, local government chairmen, teachers salaries should be the second highest.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by awgumayor: 8:28pm On May 26, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
CONSTITUTION REVIEW HEARING: WHAT WOULD YOU WANT REVIEWED IN THE CONSTITUTION?

The Senate Zonal Public Hearing on the Constitution Review Comes up Today (26th May 2021) and Tomorrow (27th May 2017) in two centres each across the Six Geo-political Zones in Nigeria.
The Public Hearing would happen simultaneously in all these 12 centres between 10am and 5pm, both today and tomorrow.
These Centres are listed below:

I. North-Central 1 - Jos Centre
(Plateau, Nasaraws and Benue)

2. North-Central 2 - Minna Centre
(Niger. Kwara, Kogi and FCT)

3. North-East 1 - Bauchi Centre
(Bauchi, Yobe and Borno)

4. North-East 2 - Gombe Centre
(Gombe, Tarnba and Adamawa)

5. North-West 1 - Kaduna Centre
(Kaduna, Kano, Jigawa and Katsina)

6. North-West 2 - Sokoto Centre
(Sokoto. Kebbi and Zamfara)

7. South-East 1 - Owerri Centre
(Imo and Abia)

8. South-East 2 - Enugu Centre
(Enugu, Ebonyi and Anambra)

9. South-South 1 - Asaba Centre
(Delta, Edo and Bayelsa)

10. South-South 2 - Port Harcourt Centre
(Rivers. Cross River and Akwa-Ibom)

11. South-West 1 - Lagos Centre
(Lagos, Oyo and Ogun)

12. South-West 2 - Akure Centre
(Osun and Ondo).
In as much as many Well-Meaning Nigerians would have wanted to be there at the hearing, the painful truth is that they may not end up being there in the end. And since there are no alternative online/virtual means for citizens to contribute to the hearing, it then means that the reviews that these well-meaning Nigerians have in their minds for which they couldn't get themselves to the venues of the hearing in order to contribute, may end up remaining with them forever.
Nevertheless, I earnestly hope that those persons who finally made it to the venues of the hearing would point out “Many” of those issues which the supposed “absentees” were having in their minds.

For me, - and that is, speaking for myself - I would be very happy if these issues I am listing here below are reviewed (or added to the Constitution):

1. “Independent Candidacy In Elections”. Let it not be a compulsory factor that a candidate must come from a political party.

2. “Electronic Voting”. Let the options for electronic technologies be allowed in our elections, and let the options allowed not be restricted or specifically mentioned, this is because, as technology continues to advance, better technological options may become available.

3. “Expanding the Conditions and Options for the use of REFERENDUMS”. Referendums at the moment (according to the current Constitution) can only be used when there is need for the creation of a new State or LGA or to adjust the boundaries of existing States or LGAs. It can also be used when a legislative member is to be recalled by the constituents who voted him/her. That is a very shallow and a very narrow use of Referendums in Nigeria. Provisions should be made to expand the use of Referendums. A full section should be included in the Constitution about Referendums; and it should be in such a way that the Legislature Calls for it in order for it to be used to decide some important national issues, and then the Executive Council Approves it, and finally the Electoral Body Conducts it.

4. “Separation of the Local Police, State Police, Regional Police, and Federal Police”. This one is simple. No much explanations are needed. Or alternatively, let all policemen be posted back to their Local-Government-Areas. (Police is not Military. Police is mainly for maintaining the internal peace and order, and this should be done with the use of Minimum Force. When the case gets bigger than the use of Minimum Force, then a Tactical Team should be deployed. Policemen shouldn't be moving around with deadly weapons).

5. “Total reformation of the Police Force”. All the functions and operations of the Police Force should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the use of firearms should be highly restricted for the police. Also, police should stop operating as if they are military men.

6. “Total reformation of the Military”. All the functions of the Military should be boldly stated inside the Constitution. Where their powers began and where they ended should also be included. For instance, the military should not be seen anyhow in the cities and on the highways as if they are Policemen. The Military functions are totally different from Police Functions. Let it clearly stated that Military can only be seen at places where there is serious unrest, or at places where there is total breakdown of peace and order.

I think these are all that I can say for now.
If I remember others, I can add them in the comments below.
YOU ARE ALSO FREE TO ADD YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS BELOW..
There is no constitutional review or amendment that can be better than calling for national conference for all ethnic nationalities in Nigeria to discuss the way forward. Let each group voice their opinions, those who want to leave the union should be allowed to do so and those who don't want to leave will come together and discuss how they are going to stay as one. Since we always complain that our fundamental problem came from the forceful amalgamation of Nigeria by the British it is now we should discuss who really want one Nigeria. Let there be referendum for all Nigerians to decide. Our politicians should not talk on our behalf because the are part of our problems and benefiting from them. Any constitutional amendment that fails to address the cries of ethnic groups in Nigeria is a waste of time and resources, it's like treating the symptoms and leave the main sickness.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by witworth(m): 10:30pm On May 26, 2021
We will implement all these in our own Yoruba nation when we are on our own. If Yoruba and most especially the Igbos didn't take their sescession agitations this more personal like this today, they won't know they want to do constitutional review or so called restructuring or whatever.
Now the useless FG feels the heat is getting hotter and they want to scam their fellow Nigerians and blind followers that they are making progress.
Tell me... Will this remove the deep Fulani control over the nation. The answer is NO
So Oodua nation must be achieved.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Arigwaska: 10:44pm On May 26, 2021
A bill of life in prisment need to be pass on
1. Bandit
2. Kidnappers
3. Terrorist
4. Money laundering
5. Any mad man/woman that invest outside the country
6. Rep
7.bribe
8. False wickness
9. Any body seen with Gun/animation apart from security personal
10. Any being moving without genuine job
11.any baga with drugs
12. Anybody involves in conspiracy
13. Anybody with a net Worth without a genuine job
14. No body should acquire a political office twice
15. Anybody pertispatting for political office for president should not be above 60 years while for governor should not be above 50years
15.ETC their is a lot
Before this country will bounce back to were it suppose to be.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 12:58am On May 27, 2021
Kmartt:

Where is Ekiti under South West
Ekiti no dey for the list ooo..
(Although, Ondo appeared twice.)

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:00am On May 27, 2021
kunkelhanspeter:
I can’t find the name of Ektit State?

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:00am On May 27, 2021
Philipsdael:
Ekiti has been abolished

It was in the news yesterday !

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by BluntCrazeMan: 1:05am On May 27, 2021
Kunmzy91:
Where is Ekiti state?

I can't find my fiancee's beloved state ooo

Abi dem no wan join the Constitutional Review or Amendment ni 🙄

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by ben1daEbiri(m): 5:43pm On May 27, 2021
DMerciful:
It seems we have decided never to be good or help ourselves. No system can be good if we don't want to

And there lies the problem,the current system we have bow could work to some extent (if they wanted it to) but they made a mess of the whole thing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by ben1daEbiri(m): 5:57pm On May 27, 2021
BluntCrazeMan:
Which system is the best please?
Which system should best be adopted for constitution reviews?

You see, the delegate system was the best shot at this but over time we lost confidence on our delegates. The NASS is setup in a similar structure but at the end what do we have? Selfish dollars-pocketing animals.

Nigeria defies logic,policies loom good on paper but doesn't work when applied; why? Because the policy maker left a back do to exploit the policy to his own undue advantage!

Maybe we should go back to why CONFAB'14 wasn't implemented.

Ee should do away with this kindergarten-level relic we call a constitution. It's not working and not gonna work.

1 Like

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by Hussein035: 3:22pm On May 29, 2021
As the case may be I don't expect anything good to come out of the North sided review.
Kindly consult Kenn Commas Concept
For your plumbing materials such as

1. Full set of WC
2. PPR pipes
3. Beautiful and exotic taps
4. England bath and shower kits
5. Kitchen basin and pedestals
6. Ariston water heater etc

Contact 08094451758 for information or business purpose. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by WICKEDNAIJAMAN: 11:38pm On Jul 14, 2022
shocked
Re: Constitution Review Hearing: What Would You Want Reviewed In The Constitution? by WICKEDNAIJAMAN: 11:47pm On Jul 14, 2022
Hussein035:
[s][/s]As the case may be I don't expect anything good to come out of the North sided review.[s][/s]
Kindly consult Kenn Commas Concept
For your plumbing materials such as

1. Full set of WC
2. PPR pipes
3. Beautiful and exotic taps
4. England bath and shower kits
5. Kitchen basin and pedestals
6. Ariston water heater etc

Contact 08094451758 for information or business purpose. Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu: I Will Sack Non-Performing Ministers / Show Justice Okon Abang Way Out, Fayose Urges NJC - Vanguard / INEC Fixes Date For Lagos, Imo, Bayelsa Senatorial Bye-Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.