Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,283 members, 7,826,117 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World (10310 Views)

10 Most Powerful/ Influential Nigerians Of Our Time / 6 Most Powerful & Influential Religious (christian & Muslim) Leaders In Nigeria / Tinubu Vs Obasanjo: Who Do You Prefer? The More Powerful/Influential Godfather? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by rhymz(m): 5:53pm On Apr 30, 2011
Still in the euphoria of the royal wedding between Prince Williams and Kate Middleton yestarday; Me and a couple of guys plunged into a fierce debate which ranged from how powerful and influential the Queen of England or the the British Monarchy is in the present day England and the world at large to which is the the richest, the most popular and powerful Monarchies in the world.
Obviously, we could not come to any agreement on many aspects of our "royal debate"(lol); while I maintained that the Queen of England has ceremonial powers that if she dares to exercise them will see her out of the monarch, my opponents thought otherwise and argued that the queen is still very powerful and influential.
They cited the fact that she gets to approve the prime minister and gets to open parliamentary speeches or reading and some other priviliges which to me were inconsequential to mounting any serious political power on say foreign policies of the UK and the likes.
Unlike Monarchies in the middle east that have political power and influence in their countries and beyond; take for instance, the Sultan of Brunei(who is unarguably richer than the whole of the British monarchy) he is the head of state with full executive powers.
In terms of wealth, I doubt if the British Monarchy is in the first ten, I can count more than five monarchies in the middle east that are several billions wealthy and I strongly doubt if the British Monarchy's wealth is in the tune of billions to start with. It is even safe to argue that the prince of monarco might be wealthier than the British monarch but what do I know. . LoL
It will be beneficial if Nigerians abroad living in the UK and other countries with monarchies and friends of Nigeria educate us more through intelligent comments about these "royal issues" as it will be enlightening and entertaining.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by ektbear: 5:55pm On Apr 30, 2011
King of Saudi hands down, no? Isn't that the best royal gig on earth? smiley
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Brisingr(m): 5:57pm On Apr 30, 2011
our vry own benin kingdom is d strongest of dem all
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Afam4eva(m): 6:02pm On Apr 30, 2011
Obi of Onitsha and Alaafin of Oyo are the richest and most respected in the world. Anybody that argues with this will die tomorrow. So just leave it as it is and move on.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Rossikk(m): 7:37pm On Apr 30, 2011
rhymz said

Still in the euphoria of the royal wedding between Prince Williams and Kate Middleton yestarday; Me and a couple of guys plunged into a fierce debate which ranged from how powerful and influential the Queen of England or the the British Monarchy is in the present day England and the world at large to which is the the richest, the most popular and powerful Monarchies in the world.
Obviously, we could not come to any agreement on many aspects of our "royal debate"(lol); while I maintained that the Queen of England has ceremonial powers that if she dares to exercise them will see her out of the monarch, my opponents thought otherwise and argued that the queen is still very powerful and influential.
They cited the fact that she gets to approve the prime minister and gets to open parliamentary speeches or reading and some other priviliges which to me were inconsequential to mounting any serious political power on say foreign policies of the UK and the likes.
Unlike Monarchies in the middle east that have political power and influence in their countries and beyond; take for instance, the Sultan of Brunei(who is unarguably richer than the whole of the British monarchy) he is the head of state with full executive powers.
In terms of wealth, I doubt if the British Monarchy is in the first ten, I can count more than five monarchies in the middle east that are several billions wealthy and I strongly doubt if the British Monarchy's wealth is in the tune of billions to start with. It is even safe to argue that the prince of monarco might be wealthier than the British monarch but what do I know. . LoL
It will be beneficial if Nigerians abroad living in the UK and other countries with monarchies and friends of Nigeria educate us more through intelligent comments about these "royal issues" as it will be enlightening and entertaining.

The British monarchy is very wealthy indeed. At least ten years ago I read the UK Queen was worth 16 BILLION GBP. That must have risen a lot by now. They also own vast acres of prime real estate throughout the UK which must be worth several billion GBP in total.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by EzeUche3(m): 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2011
Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej is the wealthiest monarch in the world. He is worth $30 billion.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Sunofgod(m): 7:42pm On Apr 30, 2011
The Queen and her family are the richest crooks in the world.

Richer than all other monarchys combined.

The own huge amounts of land in all commonwealth countries as well as the mineral resources inside these countries. They also are major shareholders in most central banks including the bank of england and the FED.

The wealth of the family runs into 100's of trillions. All of it ill-gotten.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by seanet02: 7:45pm On Apr 30, 2011
EzeUche__:

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej is the wealthiest monarch in the world. He is worth $30 billion.
Saudi king can Lend Nija times ten of ten easily!!
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by AndreUweh(m): 7:49pm On Apr 30, 2011
seanet02:

Saudi king can Lend Nija times ten of ten easily!!
Is that his money or the country's money?.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Rossikk(m): 7:51pm On Apr 30, 2011
Good question. ^^ Meanwhile, the bobo been wan use that as stick to beat Naija. Dumbo.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by princessos: 9:30pm On Apr 30, 2011
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by MaiSuya(m): 9:43pm On Apr 30, 2011
surprised to see that, according to Forbes, the Queen of England is not even among the first 10!
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by aletheia(m): 9:54pm On Apr 30, 2011
Mai Suya:

surprised to see that, according to Forbes, the Queen of England is not even among the first 10!
^She's at number 12, but carefully note the distinction as to her personal fortune thus excluding palaces, the Crown Jewels etc. I suggest this is a deliberate ploy to under-report the extent of the British Monarchy's fortune. Unlike most of the other monarchies; the British Monarchy is an institution in itself separate from the individual who happens to be king/queen. If this distinction is borne in mind; then things become clear.

As to influence. . .ERII is monarch over 16 independent countries.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Rossikk(m): 9:55pm On Apr 30, 2011
^^^^ Correct. In truth, that Queen you're looking at is the richest person in the whole world. They just use legal mago mago to make her seem only one-tenth as rich as she really is.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by mamagee3(f): 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2011
EzeUche__:

Wow!!!

That's a lot of money right there. . . undecided
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by princessos: 9:57pm On Apr 30, 2011
^^ Forbes is about ''commoners'' who've made money. Not Royalty.

A bit like the Babangidas, Mubaraks, Abachas, and Pinochets of this world, whose multi-billion dollar riches remain below the Forbes radar.

, But the website which I have posted earlier also gives information about the Royalty.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by Rossikk(m): 9:58pm On Apr 30, 2011
^^^^ In truth, that Queen you're looking at is the richest person in the whole world. They just use legal mago mago to make her seem only one-tenth as rich as she really is so it doesn't cause a global uprising.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by rhymz(m): 10:30pm On Apr 30, 2011
I think sometimes a lot of people over estimate the british monarchy probably because of their colonial reach in the past but un this present day, I strongly doubt if the Queen as a monarch can actually boast of thesame level of wealths of most of the monarchs in the middle east have and are still acruing as we speak. The Sultan of Brunei alone not even talking of his family empire is worth over $22billion and sits on a family empire that is worth well over $120billion, the king of Saudi Arabia for instance owns 1/10th of the world's oil reserve not to talk of the entire family's wealth, the king of Thailand is another extremely wealthy monarch.
No doubt the British monarchy is of course very wealthy too but I strongly doubt it is in the Arab leagues.
In terms of political powers, you and I know Queen Elizabeth II has powers that she dares not to use or she will see the abrupt end of british monarchy like it happened in fiji. Most of the honour and respect that is accorded her is just based on respect and symbolic gesture to preserve the british monarchy tradition. But what she says or do politically can never have thesame effect as say the Saudi king, the sultan of Brunei, the king of the UAE with respect to the internal politics of their countries and the world at large. The queen of England commands the kind of respect the Pope(whom also is a monarch by the way) commands, people are not bound by any law or constitution to follow what they say but of course they can get the world's ears.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by NwaNimo1(m): 10:40pm On Apr 30, 2011
My Igwe is a poor man - sad
Its embarrasing. . . .
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by EzeUche3(m): 10:44pm On Apr 30, 2011
rhymz:

I think sometimes a lot of people over estimate the british monarchy probably because of their colonial reach in the past but un this present day, I strongly doubt if the Queen as a monarch can actually boast of thesame level of wealths of most of the monarchs in the middle east have and are still acruing as we speak. The Sultan of Brunei alone not even talking of his family empire is worth over $22billion and sits on a family empire that is worth well over $120billion, the king of Saudi Arabia for instance owns 1/10th of the world's oil reserve not to talk of the entire family's wealth, the king of Thailand is another extremely wealthy monarch.
No doubt the British monarchy is of course very wealthy too but I strongly doubt it is in the Arab leagues.
In terms of political powers, you and I know Queen Elizabeth II has powers that she dares not to use or she will see the abrupt end of british monarchy like it happened in fiji. Most of the honour and respect that is accorded her is just based on respect and symbolic gesture to preserve the british monarchy tradition. But what she says or do politically can never have thesame effect as say the Saudi king, the sultan of Brunei, the king of the UAE with respect to the internal politics of their countries and the world at large. The queen of England commands the kind of respect the Pope(whom also is a monarch by the way) commands, people are not bound by any law or constitution to follow what they say but of course they can get the world's ears.

That is true. The Queen of England is merely a figurehead. She still have power, but she knows not use it, because that would give fuel to the Republicans in England. As she stay out of politics, the Monarchist are able to still have power.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by rhymz(m): 11:14pm On Apr 30, 2011
Nwa_Nimo:

My Igwe is a poor man - sad
Its embarrasing. . . .
lol. . Your igwe that cant even feed unless the FG dishes out pittance of our natural cake to him. His probably a few thousand Naira rich and could easily lose it in a swift second if he aligns with the wrong politicians.
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by violent(m): 11:35pm On Apr 30, 2011
@OP:

Firstly the British Queen is the Queen of the United Kingdom NOT England. Calling her the Queen of England is an error,  It would be just as accurate to call her Queen of Wales or Scotland or N. Ireland.

Telling you exactly what the Queen's powers are is complicated because the UK does not have a comprehensive written constitution. This means that the Queen in written law has vast sweeping powers but in reality the Queen only executes these in line with the elected government of the days wishes

In foreign matters, she retains the authority to declare war on any country!

In terms of net worth, Buckingham Palace, is state owned, and although she sits on billions in pounds,  they are mostly owned by the British government
Re: Which Monarchy Is The Most Powerful Influential And Wealthiest In The World by ektbear: 1:12am On May 01, 2011
^-- But her practical, real powers are pretty tiny. Especially when compared to the King of Saudi.

King of Saudi could decide to give himself a 1% cut of all oil that is exported from his country. . . and he could probably pull this off w/o anyone stopping him.

Not to mention the influence he has from controlling Mecca and Medina.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Atiku Sign Peace Accord Pact Today / Court Affirms Kashamu As Ogun PDP Gov Candidate / Niger State Civil Servants Commence On Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.