Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:06 AM

Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country (1911 Views)

Amaechi, Wike, Fresh Showdown: A Contest Marked With Blood / PDP Releases List Of Key Members Allegedly Marked For Death By APC / I Want To Be Remembered For Fighting Corruption To A Standstill – Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by thweraja10: 8:19am On May 05, 2011
Today marked a year that Yaradua died and nobody remembered him what a country.

THis is so crazy though im not a Yaradua fan but at least let us just act as if we care. If it was to be an Ibo or Yoruba or south south they would have thrown a big party. Thank God im not from that pert of the world he came from. Its a pity that even his people forgot him so easy.

Well may his soul rest in peace
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Musiwa13: 8:33am On May 05, 2011
may yar adua soul rest in peace.

Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Adonike(m): 8:33am On May 05, 2011
@Poster, it also goes to show dat u are also "Nobody". Who told u that he's not being remembered here? Or must we come to u directly to ring d bell of his remembrance? Something that u heard from STV news this morning is now dat which u're bragging about. For u information, I remembered him even before u did but decided not to post it cos it's no longer news.
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Nobody: 8:36am On May 05, 2011
Who is Yaradua?
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Azedplus(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2011
the federal govt shd atleast give a speech even if there is not ganna be any activity.for crying out loud he was a serving pres. b4 his death.
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Gbawe: 9:03am On May 05, 2011
@Poster.

Please look at it another way. Incompetent or distracted leadership can seriously impact negatively on the lives of 160 million plus individuals. Why , if you are decent , accept to take responsibility for the lives of all those who dwell in "the biggest black Nation on Earth" when you are chronically ill? What kind of narcissism made Yar Adua accept a job his serious health challenges limits him from doing well when other competent and fit men/women abound in Nigeria? Abeg , don't start a thread for the sake of it . Many Nigerians may have died because of the actions/inaction of a distracted Yar Adua . They are faceless, average and without famous names . I prefer to remember those folks failed by Nigeria leaders .
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Musiwa13: 9:20am On May 05, 2011
Ahmadu bello university, where yar adua use to teach.

Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by juman(m): 10:00am On May 05, 2011
May Almighty Allah forgive him and accept him as his servant. Ameen.
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by namfav(m): 10:16am On May 05, 2011
juman:

May Almighty Allah forgive him and accept him as his servant. Ameen.

ameen
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by thweraja10: 10:21am On May 05, 2011
@Poster, it also goes to show dat u are also "Nobody". Who told u that he's not being remembered here? Or must we come to u directly to ring d bell of his remembrance? Something that u heard from STV news this morning is now dat which u're bragging about. For u information, I remembered him even before u did but decided not to post it cos it's no longer news.

Mumu like you. I mean this is a past president for crying out loud at least the Govt should do some thing probably make a speech or create a kinda Yaradua foundation. U stood there like a fool critisizing some ones post. Must you reply to my post if you dont have better things to say, Go to his grave and start crying, Get out of here
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Nobody: 10:44am On May 05, 2011
He is not worth remembering.
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Abbycrown(f): 10:52am On May 05, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Who is Yaradua?

You know you are a clown?
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by obamat: 11:38am On May 05, 2011
They remembered him o

[color=#006600]
IT is one year today, May 5, 2011 since President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua died at the Presidential Villa Abuja. And it has been a momentous one year at the Villa, and for Nigeria.

To commemorate the one year anniversary of the death, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Alhaji Ahmed Yayale, in a one-page newspaper publication due to be published today, on behalf of The Presidency, said, “the President, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, GCFR on behalf of the government and people of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, remembers our late President, Mallam Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, GCFR, who returned to his Creator exactly one year ago, on May 5, 2010. We will always remember and cherish his enormous contributions to the unity, peace and stability of our great country. May he continue to rest peacefully in Aljanna Firdaus.”

The remembrance was expected after all, the government of President Jonathan is an offshoot of the late Yar’Adua administration. And President Jonathan consistently invoked the Yar’Adua name all through the campaigns leading to the Presidential elections. And his announcement that he would serve for only one term ending 2015 means he will complete Yar’Adua’s second term. Jonathan was sworn in the morning of May 6, 2010. Before then, he had been superintending unofficially, the affairs of Nigeria since November 23, 2009 when the late President travelled to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment.

But due to the uncertainty over the ship of state due to the long absence of Yar’Adua from Nigeria, the National Assembly, on February 9, 2010 passed the “doctrine of necessity” resolution mandating Jonathan to assume the office of Acting President. Jonathan, empowered, moved in to get the grasp of the reins of power, dissolving the Federal Executive Council on March 17, 2010.

Yet at the solemn swearing in ceremony held at the Council Chambers of the Presidential Villa Abuja on May 6, 2010, President Jonathan told Nigerians, “our President passed away peacefully in the Presidential villa in Abuja yesterday evening, May 5, 2010. While we submit to the will of God as a people of faith, this sad event has placed our nation in deep mourning. On behalf of the good people of our great Country Nigeria, I stand by our First Lady, Her Excellency Hajia Turai Yar’Adua, the Children, our Mother, Hajia Habiba Musa Yar’Adua, and the entire Yar’Adua family and offer our heartfelt condolences on the demise of our amiable leader.”

He therefore pledged total commitment to “Good Governance, Electoral Reform and the fight against corruption would be pursued with greater vigour. As I had stated time and again, we must enshrine the best standards in our democratic practice. One of the true tests would be to ensure that all votes count and are counted in the upcoming General Elections. Similarly the effort at ensuring the sustenance of peace and development in the Niger Delta as well as the security of life and property around the entire country would be of top most priority in the remaining period of this administration.”

And immediately after the seven-day mourning period, President Jonathan performed his first official function outside the Villa as President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Nigeria at the Air Expo 2010 at the grounds of the Training Command, Nigerian Air Force (NAF) Kaduna, pledging before the troops to conduct credible elections as the bedrock of the nations search for creating the necessary conditions for development through the maintenance of internal peace and security.

Since then, he has attended many military functions, including dressing as an Admiral of the Nigerian Navy and presiding over the Presidential Naval Fleet Review at the NNS Beecroft, headquarters of the Western Naval Command, Apapa, Lagos. The Presidential Fleet Review was part of activities for the nation’s 50th independence anniversary celebrations.

Earlier, to put his own personal stamp on the leadership of the nation’s defence and security sector, the President, on September 8, 2010, appointed new Chief of Defence Staff and Service Chiefs. They include - Chief of Defence Staff (Air Chief Marshal Oluseyin Petinrin), Lt Gen Onyeabo Azubike Ihejirika (Army), Vice Admiral Ola Sahad Ibrahim (Navy) and Air Marshal Mohammed Dikko Umar (Air Force).

In addition, the President also appointed a new Inspector General of Police (Alhaji Hafiz Ringim) along with a new Director General of State Security Services, Mr Ita Ekpeyong.

On September 16, 2010, President Jonathan announced his bid for the 2011 presidential election on his Facebook page. He said: “In presenting myself for service, I make no pretence that I have a magic wand that will solve all of Nigeria’s problems or that I am the most intelligent Nigerian. Far from it. What I do promise is this – If I am elected President in 2011, I will make a covenant with you the Nigerian people to always do right by you, to tell you the truth at all times, to carry you along and most importantly to listen to you, fellow citizens in our communities and also those of you on this page.”

Two days later, at the Eagle Square Abuja for his formal declaration to contest the Presidency on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), President Jonathan went on to sketch a “dream for Nigeria”, hinging them on a planned transformation of Nigeria that will meet the aspirations of all its citizens. He spoke of his dream “that any Nigerian child from Kaura-Namoda to Duke town; from Potiskum to Nsukka, from Isale-Eko to Gboko will be able to realize his God-given potentials, unhindered by tribe or religion and unrestricted by improvised political inhibitions.

“Let the word go out from this Eagle Square that Jonathan as President in 2011 will herald a new era of transformation of our country; an era that will end the agony of power shortage in our country. Let the word go, ”

And by October 4, President Jonathan has appointed former Chief of Defence Staff, Gen Andrew Owoye Azazi as the new National Security Adviser, replacing Lt Gen Mohammed Aliyu Gusau, who resigned his

position to contest the 2011 Presidential elections. And Gen. Azazi had moved into office, trying to insulate the office of NSA from politics. Except if an assignment has to do with security matters, he rarely attends routine meetings at the Presidential Villa, preferring to spend time in his office. His predecessors, including Gusau and Maj.-Gen. Sarki Muktar attended all meetings where the President presided.

At the Eagle Square on January 9, 2011, President Jonathan won the PDP Presidential ticket. And in the Presidential and National Assembly elections, he delivered on his promise of organising free, fair and credible elections last month. Yar’Adua would definitely smile at this.
[/color]
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Nobody: 12:40pm On May 05, 2011
@ Poster

You that remembered him do you live with Bin Laden?
Re: Today Marked A Year That Yaradua Died And Nobody Remembered Him What A Country by Adonike(m): 12:45pm On May 05, 2011
I think this poster is not completely Stu-pid! Or maybe he's not too insane.

(1) (Reply)

African Nations Reject Africom Except Liberia / It Is A Pity Nigerians Cannot Fight A Revolution / Petroleum Minister Books Hotel Worth $8,000 Per Night

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.