Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:13 AM

Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt (19652 Views)

23 States Run Local Security Outfits As Groups Demand Decentralised Policing / Ibibio Monarchs Caution Ekere Over Political Violence, Insolent Behaviour / Osinbajo Returns To Ekiti, Apologises To Monarchs For Not Paying Homage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by adenigga(m): 5:14am On Jun 22, 2021
A conference of Yoruba has called for decentralisation of government to allow the six geopolitical zones in the country to have autonomy to function.

The conference, which had in attendance Yoruba scholars and traditional rulers, was led by Professor of History, University of Texas, Austin, Toyin Falola, who submitted that decentralisation of power would solve most of the problems, including the insecurity facing the country.

The Yoruba leaders and scholars met at Babcock University, Ilishan-Remo, Ogun State, on Monday, for the sixth Atanda lectures and conference on Yoruba culture and society.

The three-day conference on Yoruba culture and society had many national and international scholars on Yoruba and culture as speakers, including a foremost private art collector in Africa, Prince Yemisi Shyllon; Director of African Studies Institute, University of Georgia, USA, Akinloye Ojo, and Professor Arinpe Adejumo of the University of Ibadan.

Speaking on the essence of the conference, held in remembrance of a late professor of history, Joseph Atanda, Falola said the late scholar contributed immensely to the teaching of Yoruba history and culture while alive.

Speaking on the state of the nation, Falola said, “The Yoruba are angry, the Igbo are angry, so, how to minimise and reduce the anger is what we should find a solution to.

“At this time, the best advice one can give is decentralisation and autonomy in various regions.

“I don’t think separation is the best way to go, but seeking better autonomy in these regions is a better option.”

Another professor of history, Olutayo Adeshina, in his submission advised the agitators for Yoruba nation to think things through.

He said “Those who are pushing for it, I will say let us take it easy and see it from broader perspectives because here, the structure of Nigeria is skewed; it is imbalanced and it is also not right. Yes, we have rights to agitate; I will say let us take it easy.

“If we agitate and try to secede, move away, what is the benefit of it? What is the cost of taking Yoruba out of Nigeria? Is it going to be done peacefully?

“You have to do this thing very clinically; you must get your parameters right; is it going to be peaceful? If it is going to be peaceful, Okay, if it is not going to be peaceful, what is the cost to us as a people and as a society? What is the cost on our infrastructure? A lot of things must be done carefully and well calibrated.”

The Orangun of Oke-Ila, Osun State, Oba Abolarin Adedokun, also called for patience and tolerance among the tribes and ethnic groups in the country.

Source: https://punchng.com/Yoruba-scholars-monarchs-caution-Igboho-demand-decentralised-govt

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Monogamy: 5:18am On Jun 22, 2021
“At this time, the best advice one can give is decentralisation and autonomy in various regions.

What else would you expect from scholars suggestions.. Best way to go

Secession is not the answer but devolution of power

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Fahdiga1: 5:44am On Jun 22, 2021
We the Yorubas want to be on our own. We are tired of staying with the Igbos

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by tydi(m): 5:46am On Jun 22, 2021
The last scholar I know who happens to be a Yoruba is Wole Soyinka.
Where are these so called scholars then?

16 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by SmartPolician: 5:53am On Jun 22, 2021
Those who call for restructuring should know they are just wasting their time.

The north can never allow the south to control their resources and seaports.

It's as simple as ABC.

106 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Atiwaye: 5:56am On Jun 22, 2021
If you don't know Toyin falola then stop talking trash about Nigeria because you know nothing as far as Nigeria is concerned. Back to the matter I think to decentralized the government is a good way to go although that's what north don't want to hear.

But trust me if southern can unite on this matter there's nothing north can do than to concur, I just don't know why igbo elites are silent over everything they don't support biafra they don't support decentralized where do they belong self?
tydi:
The last scholar I know who happens to be a Yoruba is Wole Soyinka.
How are these so called scholars then?

60 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Guestlander: 5:59am On Jun 22, 2021
Nowhere was Igboho mentioned in the write up. What's up with the misleading title?

50 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by adenigga(m): 6:24am On Jun 22, 2021
Guestlander:
Nowhere was Igboho mentioned in the write up. What's up with the misleading title?

In Yorubaland, who's @ the forefront of championing Secession?

Do they need to mention names before you get the message?

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by ZZ22: 6:33am On Jun 22, 2021
Whenever there's a call to break this cesspit some foolish group will spring up in the middle of the night to disturb your ears with restructuring, autonomy, devolution and once the call for secession dies down you will never hear from the group again. Fulani herdsmen are killing people as they like and no group has converged to do or say anything but once the people come together to protect themselves thousands of otellectual group will spring immediately to tell you don't do it, don't take laws in to your hand.

60 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by illicit(m): 7:00am On Jun 22, 2021
Buhari should be cautioned too
He speaks thru his anus dis days

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Monogamy: 7:03am On Jun 22, 2021
Fahdiga1:

You are not really sounding good lately... You have lied more than Mr Lai on NL.

I think you should take some break

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 22, 2021
who be all these unknown Yoruba scholars. Igboho has the support of the people, who want to break away from Nigeria. The other leaders can Bleep off. Conduct a referendum if you're certain

12 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by theTranslator: 9:16am On Jun 22, 2021
I support them

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by theTranslator: 9:17am On Jun 22, 2021
Skynet45:
who be all these unknown Yoruba scholars. Igboho has the support of the people, who want to break away from Nigeria. The other leaders can Bleep off. Conduct a referendum if you're certain
Which people?

You can only talk for yourself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by theTranslator: 9:20am On Jun 22, 2021
Fahdiga1:
This is getting irritating undecided
Face your Igbo
Stop causing confusion
Don't you have the least iota of shame?

This kind of mentality will only stop Biafra

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by BKayy: 9:23am On Jun 22, 2021
"Yoruba scholars"
See title they take they deceive fools.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Obamaofusa: 9:35am On Jun 22, 2021
Monogamy:

What else would you expect from scholars suggestions.. Best way to go

Secession is not the answer but devolution of power
I dont know why you people cannot think deeply.Staying in the same country with the core and real Northerners is akin to staying in the dark ages and being backward with lots of bloodbaths which means nothing to them.
Yoruba nation is here to stay.
We Yoruba nation supporters are very much more than the politicians' sponsored turncoats and you Fulani terrorists.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 22, 2021
theTranslator:

Which people?

You can only talk for yourself

Majority of yourbas

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by theTranslator: 9:57am On Jun 22, 2021
Skynet45:

Majority of yourbas
You are not majority of Yoruba

So mind your business

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Nobody: 10:02am On Jun 22, 2021
theTranslator:

So mind your business

That's why I said organise a referendum let's see who wants to remain in this contraption, your failed government is scared of that

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Nobody: 10:03am On Jun 22, 2021
theTranslator:

So mind your business

I have seen more oduduwa flag pasted at people door and shops more than Nigerian flag

9 Likes

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by theTranslator: 10:05am On Jun 22, 2021
Skynet45:

I have seen more oduduwa flag pasted at people door and shops more than Nigerian flag
So?

I repeat

Mind your business
Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Guestlander: 10:16am On Jun 22, 2021
adenigga:

In Yorubaland, who's @ the forefront of championing Secession?

Do they need to mention names before you get the message?

If his name was not mentioned, it is wrong to say it was. That is called lying.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Wizzyfuturewife(f): 10:25am On Jun 22, 2021
He needs to put caution within the wind
Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Akpuobi1: 10:25am On Jun 22, 2021
YORUBA SCHOLARS;

IGBO SCHOLARS;

AFENIFERE;

OHANEZE NDI IGO;

YORUBA MONARCHS;

IGBO MONARCHS;

SW GOVERNORS;

SE GOVERNORS;

ALL OF YOU KNOW A DECENTRALIZED GOVT WILL FAVOUR THE SOUTHERNERS WHO ARE THE ECONOMIC BREATHE OF THIS COUNTRY. TAKE A DECISIVE ACTION AND PUSH HARD FOR A DECENTRALIZED GOVT THAT FAVOURS YOUR CHILDREN AND STOP SINGING.

IGBOHO AND NNAMDI KANU WILL NOT BE FIGHTING FOR A BREAKUP OF THIE COUNTRY IF THIS IS DONE

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Femich18(m): 10:26am On Jun 22, 2021
Guestlander:

If his name was not mentioned, it is wrong to say it was. That is called lying.

I tire o. I had to read through and could not see anywhere his name was mentioned

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Scholars, Monarchs Caution Igboho, Demand Decentralised Govt by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 22, 2021
cool

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Uzodinma Denies Paying Herdsmen N8m For Missing Cows / Tinubu Hails Ganduje For Fighting Corruption / El-rufai Signs Mou With Chinese Firms For 80,000-barrels Per Day Refinery(photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.