Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,367 members, 7,836,480 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:37 AM

Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) (8558 Views)

Since I Slept With My Staff She No Longer Respects Me Pls Advise Me / What Do You Advise Me To Do? / Help!! Business Or School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by GeneralPula: 11:37am On Jun 25, 2021
School is not what it used to be anymore joor..

I said this cuz the education that one is suppose to be getting from school, schools doesn’t teach it anymore..

Just craps and ASUU strike..
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by ManOfCompetence(m): 11:37am On Jun 25, 2021
Livadesh:
@ OP...

you're very wise to have asked this.
The last person I gave this same advise became a millionaire within the space of 9 months.. he's now in the process of sponsoring himself to school outside this country.. And we both know he'll still finish school before his contemporaries who are in Nigeria and his certificate will be more recognized than that of his co-Nigerian graduates.

I'll advice you develop yourself in a very high paying skill (if it is not high paying, it's as good as wasting your precious time).

Don't stop there, go to school too (be it in Nigeria or most preferable abroad).. education is never a scam

All the best !!!
High paying skills like
Help a brother too
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by vioment: 11:42am On Jun 25, 2021
It can be done Simultaneously.

You only live once.

No time to be dulling.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Yankee101: 11:51am On Jun 25, 2021
Both
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Pelexy: 12:02pm On Jun 25, 2021
Self Development within a school will make much sense
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Kingcredo(m): 12:08pm On Jun 25, 2021
Shoodboi:

How about if you learn Copywriting and get started on Upwork and Fiverr, and then you can scale out from there in the future?

Amazon is complicated and things like selling books or starting a blog or whatever else, will not make you instant cash (that's even if they ever make you any at all).

At this point, you need to learn and earn FAST.

Just quote me with the definition of Copywriting (as per how you understand it) if you're interested.

If I'm okay with your definition, I'll show you a link here on NL and send you an ebook (for Fiverr) that can help you get started.

I am interested too, please.
Copywriting is the process of advertising products through writing. Or writing sales copy to a particular audience.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Dpaulie(m): 12:09pm On Jun 25, 2021
Both are self development
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by credon: 12:13pm On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

Good afternoon Nairalanders.

I believe I'm speaking to learned and sophisticated people.

I'm 18, done with high school, I wrote JAMB once last year and applied for Law in one of our universities. I studied very well for it, albeit, I scored 249 and I've not been given admission. To me, my score was a not so pleasing score as I studied thoroughly and vigorously for the exams and I didn't deserve the score.

In my bid to enter school as a law student or nothing, as I've much passion for law, I decided to register for a Diploma-in-Law program in another university, admission is sure with a good O'level.

Howbeit, few days pass by, I had a rethink, I'll say I'm from an average family and with the way the economy is, I'm not financially ready for school.

You might ask why I didn't register for JAMB again this year, I'm working in a POS point, and work 12hours a day for a meagre pay as low as 10k, no time for studies, as such, I couldn't register for JAMB, coupled with my plans for Diploma-in-Law, after that direct entry to degree or write JAMB next year while I'm in school, ditch the program for Degree without completing it.

Today, while discussing with mum, she tried coaxing me to wait and write JAMB again next year, and ditch the Diploma program as it's baseless and they've no money for it this year, that I'll go to school without any financial stress if I wait and write again next year.

With the aforementioned, I decided I'll buy a laptop and start blogging and freelancing as I'm a writer, this thing is a God given talent and I didn't learn from anybody, when I pen down articles, people ask where I learnt the skill from and that I'm close to perfect.

I decided to get a UK used laptop for 30k and develop myself while also making money via my writing career.

I've taken a good decision ditching school and trying to get a skill?

How can I also make money from my writes, I've heard of amazon, the only reliable and most popular, what can you recommend also?

How about a blog?
just get a degree on hnd, its important to be a graduate, then while doing this, get a skill
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by kzmoney1: 12:26pm On Jun 25, 2021
It is a good idea with the current Nigeria situation. Since you sed u are talented and passionate with the writing an article. 80% of graduate in Nigerian are jobless.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Igwe29(m): 12:38pm On Jun 25, 2021
Cryomancer:
OP.... I admire your courage to take up something doing at the moment and build your God given skill as well.

You did not make a mistake for ditching the diploma degree for now due to financial constraints, it shows maturity and understanding even though it was a hard decision to take. Not every family is financially buoyant at the moment, judging from the present situation of the country. But don't get carried away when you start making good money and dump the idea of going to school, you might regret it. A university degree is not a guarantee for a better future, but it is essential to have one.

Just follow heart as you have always done and prepare harder too so that you can stand a better chance next year when applying for any school because by now you must be aware that admission in law degree is very competitive especially in the southern and western universities .

I also chased Law for good 5yrs (due to my passion for the course) before i gave up and studied another course. And I'm well positioned today and i didn't regret switching.

P.S
Judging by the current disregard for the rule of law and human right in Nigeria and the large number of law graduates out there that are even willing to take up a 50k job anywhere, I'll advise you give law a second thought.

Pls I also need your advice. I was aspiring to study law few years ago before financial problems and result glitches encumbered my chances of going to the university. You talked about switching courses, what other courses would you advise someone within the sphere of Arts/social science to study? I'm currently interested in Economics/Criminology/Political Science.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by dederocs(m): 12:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Self development...learn a skill or trade, don't waste your time.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by IncredibleWrite: 12:57pm On Jun 25, 2021
I admire smart people a lot and you seem like one.

I have gone down that exact route you want to go and I have a lot of experience. I also own Copywriting Agency.

Send me a message and if you meet my expectations, I may decide to mentor you for free.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by HoneySwag(f): 1:20pm On Jun 25, 2021
I'd advise you to follow the advice of your mom, sit for jamb and pursue the admission into a university. Certificate is never useless and never a waste of resources (time, financial, material, energy). You need the certificate not to secure a job but not to regret not going when you had the opportunity.

2 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Yaks02(m): 2:38pm On Jun 25, 2021
AFvckingAlpha:
The fvck

Niggarr!!

My advice and I hope it's well taken, focus on your personal development and pave way for yourself, you still young and there's a lot of time to get better in your niche.

You see all those school shit they crap, I mean even Buhari said graduating doesn't guarantee you a job grin.

All my years for Uni, see where e end, nah behind lappy, dey roam anonymous online.

So I keep hustling online to put food on the table, even the EFCC bust didn't deter me, guess who came out unscathed.

Bring your CL info make I run ID.me.

Nobody gon pave way for you except you my niggarr!!

I said what I said

Pave way for me abeg!!!

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by madjnr: 2:42pm On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

I'm 18, done with high school, I wrote JAMB once last year and applied for Law in one of our universities. I studied very well for it, albeit, I scored 249 and I've not been given admission. To me, my score was a not so pleasing score as I studied thoroughly and vigorously for the exams and I didn't deserve the score.

In my bid to enter school as a law student or nothing, as I've much passion for law, I decided to register for a Diploma-in-Law program in another university, admission is sure with a good O'level.

Howbeit, few days pass by, I had a rethink, I'll say I'm from an average family and with the way the economy is, I'm not financially ready for school.

You might ask why I didn't register for JAMB again this year, I'm working in a POS point, and work 12hours a day for a meagre pay as low as 10k, no time for studies, as such, I couldn't register for JAMB, coupled with my plans for Diploma-in-Law, after that direct entry to degree or write JAMB next year while I'm in school, ditch the program for Degree without completing it.

Today, while discussing with mum, she tried coaxing me to wait and write JAMB again next year, and ditch the Diploma program as it's baseless and they've no money for it this year, that I'll go to school without any financial stress if I wait and write again next year.

With the aforementioned, I decided I'll buy a laptop and start blogging and freelancing as I'm a writer, this thing is a God given talent and I didn't learn from anybody, when I pen down articles, people ask where I learnt the skill from and that I'm close to perfect.

I decided to get a UK used laptop for 30k and develop myself while also making money via my writing career.

How can I also make money from my writes, I've heard of amazon, the only reliable and most popular, what can you recommend also?

How about a blog?

if u are a good writer, i have a writing gig for u, chat me up on 09024624997
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by pedeeda: 2:57pm On Jun 25, 2021
Zobah:
What kind of organization is that?
Academic institution. Private polytecnic
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by 9jaRealist: 4:21pm On Jun 25, 2021
>
Self-development and school are NOT mutually-exclusive…
>
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Junnior: 4:24pm On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

How about a blog?
First off, your writing needs work. I don't know who told you have the "talent". Nonetheless, you can always hone the skill and get very good at it -- anyone can.

Now, to the main matter.

Your story reminds me a lot of myself. I also had a lot of passion for the course I chose to study. But, you see, passion did not sustain me in the long run. Passion is good, but it won't sustain you in the long run. If you rush into school now without being financially fit enough to go all the way to the end, you will get frustrated. The biggest mistake you'll make is rely on your parents or anyone to keep sending you money. The money they will send you occasionally will hardly be enough to cater for yourself in school. They will not understand when you keep billing them. They most likely won't be able to fund all your expenses fully. This will have a very negative effect on your academic performance. Because you're passionate about that course, you will be frustrated knowing that you ought to be doing well, but you're not, due to financial constraints. You will eventually get broken and not give a fvck again.

Here's my advice:

If you're really passionate about this course, make sure that you, at first, have enough "resources" that will sustain you through to the end.
So, for now, focus on grinding. These days, you don't need a school degree to make good money. Find something that can pay you the most within a not-too-long time possible. Do a good estimate of how much in total you'll be needing to run the school degree all the way to the end (go to the school and get info from those studying it).
Once you have a good estimate of how much you need, good, continue grinding and accumulating funds. In no time, you should have enough. However, wait, before rushing to start the course, make sure you also have enough extra cash that you can fall back on after graduation should you not be able to grind during the years you're running the degree (some courses are very demanding and require one's total commitment if one is to excel in studying them. Law might be one of them). I'll advice the extra cash should be at least half the amount you're going to use to run the school degree.

Note: when you're making the estimate, you're calculating everything from school fees, to feeding, to accomodation, to self maintenance, etc., taking inflation into consideration.

Good luck.

2 Likes

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by olioxx(m): 4:41pm On Jun 25, 2021
Elistho:
[color=#990000][/color]

How about a blog?
My advise:
1. Spend the remaining of this year building and developing your writing skill.
2. Network as much as possible.
3. Live your life on a low key, any money you have, think of saving at most 20% of it.
4. If possible get a university degree, if law is what ticks you, then go study law.
5. Try to learn an IT skill, even if nah web design (HTML 5 & CSS3), IT is the present and the future.
6. If you believe in God, then please commit all your plans before God because nah God grace we need for this Nigeria.
I am currently one year older than you(19), so see this as an advice from a big brother.

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by GabdelandAgro(m): 5:14pm On Jun 25, 2021
ProjectJosh:
Anyone who can help us locate Joshua Ajisope of Farmfunded Agroservices Ltd will get a N50,000 reward for his/her effort.

Please contact me directly on Telegram at @Audacious_Investor if you have any information that could lead us to him or his family.

Reason: Joshua Ajisope ran away with investors money.
first, get a court order to freeze his account (that is if he has not emptied it)

Start from there
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by GabdelandAgro(m): 5:17pm On Jun 25, 2021
Self development my dear

School is scam in Nigeria. Many graduates are selling duvet, okrika cloths, weavon and attachment, makeup artist and making hair

Self development please, if you love yourself

Nigeria don cast
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Blacksavage: 7:01pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lekan34:

This life don tire me I just wanna leave this world it’s not worth to live for poor people like me have help a lot of friends yet no reward from them I hustle yet no success but crypto, school, click bank, Dj yet no success

Bro my case be like your own
All my niggas for hood don make am bone as if I no dey exist....
My brother life goes on
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by BrazilAirport: 7:53pm On Jun 25, 2021
Destiny is not the same. Only god knows
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Elistho(m): 8:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
Just quote me with the definition of Copywriting (as per how you understand it) if you're interested.

If I'm okay with your definition, I'll show you a link here on NL and send you an ebook (for Fiverr) that can help you get started.

Copywrite in a layman and simple definition is the process of advertising whatever service's a company offers through write ups.

I'm interested, thanks in anticipation.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Nobody: 11:41pm On Jun 25, 2021
Kingcredo:

Copywriting is the process of...

Elistho:

Copywrite in a layman...

Hi, I asked the question because I understand that unwanted advice is never appreciated, and the last thing I wanted was to spend my time researching for information no one wants. But since you already asked, here you go:

Read this thread to learn about email copywriting and getting started on Upwork: https://www.nairaland.com/5898215/how-build-enviable-income-email

I attached an ebook for you. Download it to get started on Fiverr. I'll suggest you start with Fiverr since Upwork could be difficult. And the ebook is very useful and will help you rank and get your first job in as little as two weeks.

Please let me know when you download the ebook since it's someone else's work and it's unethical to give it out for free.

CC: Elistho

1 Like

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Zobah: 12:43pm On Jun 26, 2021
pedeeda:

Academic institution. Private polytecnic
All those private higher institution of learning are nothing to write home about
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Cryomancer: 3:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
Igwe29:

Pls I also need your advice. I was aspiring to study law few years ago before financial problems and result glitches encumbered my chances of going to the university. You talked about switching courses, what other courses would you advise someone within the sphere of Arts/social science to study? I'm currently interested in Economics/Criminology/Political Science.

I was also in your shoes years ago and it wasn't east deciding too.

Economics is a very nice course and it has lots of prospects too. But if you're not very good with calculation, please avoid it because it might end in tears.

Criminology/political science is also fine but what are the prospect here in Nigeria.? I'll advise you check out international relations/diplomatic studies instead.

Please don't just study any course just because you want to go to school. Nigeria is very hard now and the job market is becoming competitive, so I'll advise you study a course that can give you a good placement in the present day Nigeria.

I finally studied Insurance when law wasn't forthcoming and I did not regret that decision till date. So I'll advise you some list of promising courses below which I feel an art student can comfortably study and come out with good grades too.

*Insurance
*Industrial relations/personnel management
*Business administration
*International relations and diplomacy
*Estate management
*Psychology

Goodluck Bro... I hope this helps.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Daice3505(m): 6:20am On Jun 28, 2021
AFvckingAlpha:
The fvck

Niggarr!!

My advice and I hope it's well taken, focus on your personal development and pave way for yourself, you still young and there's a lot of time to get better in your niche.

You see all those school shit they crap, I mean even Buhari said graduating doesn't guarantee you a job grin.

All my years for Uni, see where e end, nah behind lappy, dey roam anonymous online.

So I keep hustling online to put food on the table, even the EFCC bust didn't deter me, guess who came out unscathed.

Bring your CL info make I run ID.me.

Nobody gon pave way for you except you my niggarr!!

I said what I said

Look..
forget this and go to school oo
You can always self develop while schooling u won't regret it I'm sure. But b'cus others did not make it out well doesn't mean that u would not. So, just focus alright.
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Daice3505(m): 6:26am On Jun 28, 2021
[i][/i][b][/b] my prayer for everyone is that they are blessed and make it eventually in life despite the unfavourable circumstances surrounding us.
Some people have self developed over and over but no joy.
Some have gone to school and even bagged msc but still, no joy.
So bro just go school jeje and come out well. Your course of study isn't a criteria in this era oo,else u would be frustrated for having a degree in engineering but still jobless
Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Ttorp(m): 11:56am On Jun 28, 2021
My candid advice for you is to pursue your education and while in school or waiting to be admitted, start developing yourself with either of these skills �
Especially, affiliate marketing.
You will never be stranded or lack cash at anytime.
You can reach me on 08140975767 for proper guidance.

Re: Self Development/skill Or School. (advise Me) by Kingcredo(m): 5:29pm On Jun 28, 2021
Shoodboi:

Hi, I asked the question because I understand that unwanted advice is never appreciated, and the last thing I wanted was to spend my time researching for information no one wants. But since you already asked, here you go:

Read this thread to learn about email copywriting and getting started on Upwork: https://www.nairaland.com/5898215/how-build-enviable-income-email

I attached an ebook for you. Download it to get started on Fiverr. I'll suggest you start with Fiverr since Upwork could be difficult. And the ebook is very useful and will help you rank and get your first job in as little as two weeks.

Please let me know when you download the ebook since it's someone else's work and it's unethical to give it out for free.

CC: Elistho
Please where can I see the PDF, Sir?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Figure Out If You’re In The Wrong Job / How To Self-improve As An Individual / 6,000 Council Workers Sacked Over Fake WAEC, Age Falsification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.