Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,253 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:42 AM

Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife (1254 Views)

US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex / Parents How Will You Feel If You Come Back Home & Meet Your Children Like This? / Man Sends Wife And New Born Baby Packing, Set To Marry Wife’s Sister (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by wwwkaycom(m): 4:38am On Jul 01, 2021
My childhood friend lives in California State in the US. He now an assistant professor in a university in Los Angeles. He told me he's coming home to marry a girl from our village in October.
My boss's son is a computer engineer based in the Atlanta, Georgia State. My oga has been pressurizing the young man to come home to pick a wife, he's coming to marry an OAU Ife undergraduate when she finishes her course later this year, they got engaged in 2019, if not for COVID-19, they'll have married in 2020.
A medical doctor who is my elder sister coursemate at the University/medical school came home to marry someone from his village in 2011, the marriage scatterd in 2017 just 6 years after he had invested so much in taking the lady abroad and even trained her as a nurse.
My secondary school Biology teacher travelled abroad in year 1999 and got trained as a pharmacist in Canada, he came back home to marry from his hometown in 2009, they are divorced now.
These are people I know, I have read about a number of other Nigerian men who came back home to marry with a lot of bad stories to tell, however several of such marriages survived and they're doing well abroad. My question is this, why do you think Nigerian men love coming back to marry from home when it's not all the time that such marriages always succeed? Why can't our people bring themselves up to marry someone from wherever they are? There are thousand Nigerian ladies abroad who find it difficult to get suitable men to marry, some even had to come back to import husbands when they couldn't get someone there. Why are many Nigerian men in the diaspora not willing to marry Nigerian ladies there but would prefer to come home to pick a wife?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by chiommy123(f): 5:02am On Jul 01, 2021
I think they believe our ladies over there are not well mannered. That they are feminist forgetting that we here we learn very fast. That's why they don't take their wives to live with them outside naija again
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by NwaAmaikpe: 5:37am On Jul 01, 2021
shocked

Simply, because it is biblical.

God is against inter-tribal marriages as well as marrying women who are abroad. There are over 17 passages in the Bible to buttress this point, but I'd leave you with two.

Genesis 24:37-40
..."Thou shalt not take a wife to my son of the daughters of the Canaanites, in whose land I dwell:
But thou shalt go unto my father's house, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son".

Judges 14:3
...“Can’t you find a young woman among your relatives or among any of our people"?..

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by Seniorwriter(m): 6:38am On Jul 01, 2021
Interesting Question on a thread.
Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by Vyolet(f): 6:48am On Jul 01, 2021
They come home to marry Nigerian women because they know it is only a Nigerian woman that can put up with their bullshits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by Princedevoe(m): 7:00am On Jul 01, 2021
Many reasons abound for this phenomenon namely 1. Mentality of Nigerian ladies abroad who want to act as their whites counterparts. 2. 50-50 decision-making which has no respect for the man as the head of the family which negates God's plan. 3. Economic empowerment of women in the diaspora which gets into their heads as being equal to men. Other minor reasons come into play too.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by habsydiamond(m): 7:01am On Jul 01, 2021
Equality don enter those babes over there heads ooo.. Wetjn concern naija babes with equality as long as u are taking care of them they are good to go.

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by DAramis: 7:18am On Jul 01, 2021
Vyolet:
They come home to marry Nigerian women because they know it is only a Nigerian woman that can put up with this bullshits.
LAMO, @ putting up with bullshit.

@OP,

I don't know the reason but I think most would be regarding to family oriented women. Some of these foreign women don't want children, and the few that want, would expect one 1 child in the union (Maybe the reason they are having declining population).

Also, language barrier, cultural barriers, and unwillingness to be closer to extended families might be another reason why they don't marry women over there. As regards Nigerian ladies overseas, a nairalander once narrated his experience. Most African and Nigerian ladies he met (I think in Germany), always gives him attitude thinking he is illegal, and needs papers till he met a citizen over there who took him for who he is at that moment. That experience rubbed off greatly on him. I believe he would be advising any new Nigerian on staying away from them ladies due to his bitter experience.

Lastly, fear of unknown is a greater reason why they might not be marrying over there. The fear of ending up in Nursing home, or having no one to look after them is likely the reason. At least with Nigerian wife and children, in some regions (cultures) in Nigeria , the first son must return back to take care of their parents (compulsory). So if the Nigerian man decides to retire in Nigeria after living his life in abroad, he expects his children (especially first son to look after him).

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by JeffreyJunior: 7:46am On Jul 01, 2021
It's natural that a man is gonna wanna cohabitate with his kind and there ain't nothing wrong about that. Even animals do that as well.

I believe that couples who speak, eat, behave alike, have similar values, lifestyle, similar upbringing and orientation are gonna have better fighting chances in their marriages than couples with different backgrounds.

Problem is that the foundations and motives of some of these marriages ain't strong enough or are simply bad.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by cooooooks(m): 11:03am On Jul 01, 2021
Marrying a 'new', 'fresh' girl that you don't know because she's young or you think she doesn't know anything will lead you to disaster.

Even if you're coming back to marry, I think:
- marry someone you've known for years
- marry close to your age
- assume she knows as much as any Nigerian woman abroad (because she does).
- understand that it could fail and protect yourself (sign a pre-nuptial agreement)

Good luck. The grass is not always greener back home.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by Sirqt5(m): 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2021
Vyolet:
They come home to marry Nigerian women because they know it is only a Nigerian woman that can put up with their bullshits.
Two of my pals abroad. Both divorcees now. One married a 25yr old caucasian, left him after a yr of marriage. Before marriage, dude was telling me he found the perfect girl, showering praises on her left, right. I spoke to her once on phone, very softspoken girl. The other, married a mid-30s in Nigeria, sponsored her abroad after wedding, she left him after a year of marriage. He hit her severally. These two guys, their tempers no be here, explosives lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed. I guarantee they're the problem. First dude now traveling back to Naija looking for another lady to marry. He was interested in my sis at a point, I said no buddy sad. Make him no take my only sis abroad go kill am there. Second dude, him family in Naija go find another lady for am. I pity the ladies dem go pick lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerian Men In Diaspora Come Back Home To Marry Wife by njele: 9:21am On Jul 02, 2021
First thing you most know is that people like to marry from their own ethnic group.
We Africans in Europe and America are the minority so we do not have so many options as you think.
Most well behave ladies from other race are already married to high value men from their race so the ones left that are available for us Africans are the low class which are good only for papers.
After a long struggle abroad, we want to settle down with the best of woman and it is not easy for us to see them abroad that is why we come back home, our options abroad are toooo limited while we have limitless options back home.
No successful man will like to settle for less after a long struggle.
We still have a lot of good girls back home, the problem is that money attract all types of women during our search for a wife and to single out that woman who genuinely loves you become a problem hence we end up picking the wrong woman in most cases who is just after the money.
I know you will ask what of our women born abroad, they are not many as you thing and we have to compet with other ethnic groups

(1) (Reply)

Wife Threatening With Knife / I Never Loved Him–lady Changes Mind About Marrying Man Who Trained Her In School / See What Is Happening After I Left My Former Job.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.