Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,766 members, 7,817,113 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 AM

Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? (4673 Views)

Naija Advert That Looks Like A ROCK Music Video / When You Smile - Styl Plus (a Rock(ish) Song) / Looking To Form A Rock Band (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by peteroby(m): 8:50am On Jul 18, 2007
i love rock music.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by initiator(m): 10:59am On Jul 18, 2007
@ narcicus those 'rock-demonist' theorist dont deserve much replies as this issue has been thrashed in another thread.

Its one thing to dislike a genre 4 taste sake. Its another thing to impute devilish motives into a musical vehicle.

Bottomline: young nigerians are buying rock cds (albeit pirated) and would pay to attend a rock concert if the artiste menu is right, cost is moderate and venue security-tight. How many peeps this scenerio can draw is not what i can put my mind to. But 5000 would be considered success by naija standards.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jul 18, 2007
DuST!!
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by cammax7(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2007
Not a bad idea. and it isnt not just not a bad idea. the prospect is great. i've thought in the same line myself, but i reckoned doing something that would popularize rock music in nigeria should be the first step. So i came up with the idea of a talent hunt aimed at searching for the first ever Nigerian Rock star. Its in its planning stage. Initiator, would you like to come on board? Its called 'So You Wanna be A RockStar.' Dont mind those people calling it devils music. Is Micheal Smith not a gospel rock artiste. dumbini's
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by initiator(m): 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2007
Danm! Cammax thats a good idea. Am given to such endeavors. Abeg holla me @ chidido@yahoo.com

would it be like Rockstar supernova? Just thinking aloud.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by iice(f): 4:34pm On Jul 18, 2007
Cool!!
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by trendy(f): 6:21pm On Jul 18, 2007
if every nigerian feels the same way i do about rock
no one will be there except of course the organisers
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by RuuDie(m): 6:56pm On Jul 18, 2007
Not tryna be a drag 2 but a rock talent show wld be a bad idea. . Most on parade wld be lovers like us just tryna take a long shot @ fame. . Lack of xperienced local judges cld be a prob & d whole thng cld wound lookin like a reality-tv circus. .
If d talent show can be pulled it'd be a monumental catalyst 4 rock devt in naija, if not hmmm . . . But i feel concert b'4 talent show, it'd really help d latter.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by spikyn: 7:18pm On Jul 18, 2007
u2
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by spikedcylinder: 8:00pm On Jul 18, 2007
I once knew this calabar dude who said he wanted to start singing rock music mainstream. I wished him luck and bode him farewell. A couple of months later he said he wasnt signed by any record label and wanted to float the thing on his own. He showed me pictures he wanted to use for his promotions. Tacky is all i can say. I cant remember how many centuries ago people stopped spotting jerry curls but this dude had it on and boy was he a sight! The curls were awful and he had bit of hair oil dripping down the sides of his face. He had on incredibly fake leather and equally faux dog chains. . . . it was horrible. I guess in his own way he was just trying to imitate the rock and roll culture but he was doing it all wrong and bad.

I havent heard from him since the picture time.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by initiator(m): 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2007
@ spykedcylinder
very funny. Yea sometimes hip hop - rock n roll culture appears grotesque being done by nigerians cos its not really our culture as much as we luv it.

Hip hop has really gone mainstream in naija cos in most parts its been indigenised. Reggea fizzled out cos it wasnt being culturaly relevant.

The challenge of rock music in this environment would be to get artistes that are true - true to the genre and true to the naija culture just like what's happening in asia. It'll take a while but we'd get there when there're young chaps who'd stay underground and play instruments for the love of it. Whether such instrumentalists exist i dunno but maybe a talent show can suprise us - maybe not.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by shawn123: 9:29am On Jul 19, 2007
haba guys, we are Nigerians not American (white) or british. you might get 1000 people or so to attend the concert if it goes for free. I mean people who sell C.Ds wont even invest their money on selling rock album be it hard or soft. Be proud of your heritage stick to the naija/african/black American jams enh, or you cld do the micheal Jackson style bleach, smiley
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by burn(m): 5:31pm On Jul 19, 2007
If you really wanna pull a rock concert off in Naija, you had better have something extra for the crowd. What I mean is; quite a number of people are now lovers of rock music but believe me brother they only love it enuff to listen to it or even spend a few bucks to but the CD. But to go all out for a concert, I don't think so, If you have a hybrid concert of rock and another genre then it could work. this is just my opinion.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by RuuDie(m): 5:36pm On Jul 19, 2007
@ burn,

not bad. . . but i'd rather u go str8 rock c'os u mix it up, a lot of folks might come in there 4 the other and not really give much heed to the rock folks. not a bad idea, but 4 a budding initiative, don't need any competition in its way else it won't flourish!

@ spikedcylinder, lol

it'd be good for our folks who w'anna do the rock thing to just stick to the conventional - be conservative/casual with your dress code and stuffs. . . all 'em jerry-curls, chains, rings and stuff just don't fit a whole lot of us!
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by initiator(m): 7:31pm On Jul 19, 2007
Yea i agree with Ruudie. Bringing rock artistes all the way to come compete with rappers may remove the promotional motive of such a concert. But its not a bad idea though. There'r nigerians who like rock as well as other genres (like me) and they be comfortable in both environments.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by gidig(m): 8:08pm On Jul 19, 2007
On a very serious note, I think that we must balance our enthusiasm with some reason. The Rock- hard metal screaming - genre is not altogether in anymore. Even U2 engages in collabos and there is no rock artiste that is reckoned with in the mainstream that does not mix it up a bit. Music genrates its own culture!The rock culture and all that it represent has drifted away. The children of the people who listen to Rock are into hip hop( a huge white population), maybe to proof that there father's time is over as well as to say that the world has changed.

I wish you luck as you go on with this endeavour but evaluate your enthusiasm!Nigerians are straight forward people. I have seen peple who defy this and they got their fingers burnt. Oh and fadabasi tried rock. guess the song he was known with? The 'Abasi Aya ya 'song used in the FCMB advert!
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by MP007(m): 6:23am On Jul 20, 2007
called dontry ,u2 and co,.naija no go show up, rock for where? to nigerians, na kolo people dey hear rock shocked grin I gbadun rock sha ooo and also heavy metal, i no send u, rock concert next week in plano , yea baby , i dey go catch white babes ,,,, tongue grin
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by chukky76(m): 6:40am On Jul 20, 2007
gidig
get your facts straight. yes hard core heavy metal rock might be waning but the more mainstream linkin park evannescence type rock is still going strong. hip hop acts like 50cent rejoice when they sell 5-11 million copies of an lp but acts likered hot chilli peppers, u2 , linkin park and evanescence sell upwards of 15 million copies without even trying. and then when they work really hard we talking 20-25 million copies for a single album.

truth is reason for this is rock has more international appeal. u might want to dispute that but think thru and do your reseatch. your average japanese and chinese and asian folks dont feel 50cents and co. but you got mtv , you see the live concerts, these people eat up rock music. thats what accounts for their massive album sales.

so i guarantee you hip hop will die before rock does

@ burn
believe me brother they only love it enough to listen to it or even spend a few bucks to but the CD. But to go all out for a concert, I don't think so, [i][/i]

you too are wrong. your average hip hop fan goes out and buys a 150 cd and plays his hip hop. we rock fans are more fanatical. we go against all odds . i started listening o rock in the earky nineties. i had to beg friends and family abroad to send me cds of my fav group then cranberries. and then the internet came and we spent 600 naira an hour downloading rock songs with the F u c k i n g slow nitel dial up connections. and then wireless came and we snuck into cafes , installed bearshare and kazaa on public systems, hid all traces, desktop icons and stuff and let our downloads run and at the end of the week we come in with our hard drives, from our pc's , pay the cafe attendant , open their systems, master and slave our drives, transfer our files, disconnect and close and then put more files on traffic.

BUT F U C K it , it was all worth it, when u finally get home and realise u are prob the first in uniben tho have the meteora album.it got easier with cd writers and flash drives but that was much later.

so my point being , hip hop concert have been coming to naija with a lot of cool foreign musicians that i love , but who cares. but tell me  evanescence is coming, Dude are you f u c k ing kidding me? i'll drop 100k . no joke!!!!

and i know about 50 more people who'll do the same. so we may be fewer  rock heads in naija, but our fanatism more than amply compensates
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by suprted(m): 11:35am On Jul 20, 2007
rock sucks

not as much as hiphop. 50 cent? utter self-service. who gives a crap about his ice, or that he got shot 9 times. i didn't grow up in a ghetto. you should open your mind and listen to good music before comparing it to poor shit with little musical talent. like 50 can sing or play an instrument, he's basically a black version of n'sync. even the beats, he needs some hot producer (on a computer/drum machine etc mind you) to actually produce any shyte.

(this doesnt include artistes like the roots or mos def btw- people i'm sure you don't listen to cos they don't have t-shirts in aba or dosunmu or wherever you buy your gear.)

PS. it won't be successful because like some of the naysayers on this thread, nigerians are closed minded and scared of seeming 'white' (funny that most of mainstream rap is bought by prepubescent white boys) so no it won't. Maybe if it was free at first to entice people, yeah right, like U2 will actually come all the way here and perform for free.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by initiator(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2007
Chukky76, good to hear that.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by gidig(m): 2:08pm On Jul 20, 2007
My pont really is that music evolves. I am not a fan of Hip hop, neither am I into the Hip hop artistes you mentioned. I only know about them because really they are in my face because of the nature of my job. My point is the knowledge of Nigerians and the kinds of music that is acceepted. Obvioussly, you have your facts about Rock music and their performance Outside Nigeria My point is that you do not carry that enthusiasm into Naija. We are totally different people. Because you like it does not make everyone do teh same. I ike U2 for other reasons apart from their music. Rock In Naija? I really doubt its success.

Music is evolving. thats why the raggae artistes who called the shots yesterday may not sell an album today excepot they change.MJ used to be the king. Can we compare his last album sale to 'thriller'? All those dance steps and crotch grabbing may be vintage michael Jackson, ith the emphasis on Vintage. True music must be integrated into contemporary culture. Hip hop is not just about music but a lifestyle( Roca wear,G Unit, Jay Z) these guys aint the most talented singers but they can rap and are roie model for so many young people. Tomorrow, it may evolve into something else.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by karrye(f): 3:22pm On Jul 20, 2007
r u guys forgetting "The Killers", "Five For Fighting", .
please someone make my day and say one such concert is being planned. grin

ps: chukka76 wot do you have, am lookin to update my collection
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by RuuDie(m): 10:50am On Jul 21, 2007
2 all 'em folks sayin a rock concert will suck, do u listen 2 our local radio stations? Half d time they play our local content. . . D other half, they play more rock/pop/country than hip hop/r'n'b. . . Heck, how do think rock ever came in2 d consciousness of mainstream naija
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by mrpataki(m): 1:41pm On Jul 21, 2007
Please do let me know when there is any coming up in Nigeria soon.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by Planner(m): 4:06pm On Jul 21, 2007
@ all rock haters and preachers of the demonic gospel. Please, there is only as much satan in rock as there is in hip hop. It's a bloody genre. Are you aware that HYMNS are also sung to the devil? Spiritual essence is not generic. I listen to rock (not all rockers of course) and all the satan i see in it is probably in your fervid imagination. And let's not go into the extreme negativism of hip hop and where it has led the black community in America today. WORD!!!

You dey correct. afterall, all those skimply clad women and very suggestive dance moves in the hiphop industry has the sam damaging influence on children. what matters in music is the lyrics and not the genre.

To me i kind of prefer pop and rock music ( not heavy or dearth metal of course) than hiphop. while the formers often sings about nature, love, death, loss, salvation, good life etc, the latter sings mostly about the bling bling and bling ( forgive me 50 cents).

But wait! i still like some hip hop artist o.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by t200m: 5:35pm On Jul 21, 2007
LINKIN PARK! NO DOUBT.AM A ROCK FANATIC AND SOMETIMES I ALWAYS BOAST THAT AM THE AMONG THE FIRST PPL TO GET LINKIN PARKS FIRST ALBUM.BUT BUSINESS WISE I THINK THEY ARE MORE POPULAR AND MARKETABLE TO THE NIGERIA PUBLIC,ESPECIALLY AFTER THEIR COLLABO WITH JAY Z.(THINK OF THE PUBLICITY HERE)HAVE ALWAYS DREAMT THAT I WOUKLD B THE FIRST TO ORGANISE A ROCK CONCERT IN NIGERIA,STILL DO,EVEN THOUGH U ARE SHOWING INTEREST.FUNNY ENOUGH THATS HOW I TOT I WOULD BE THE FIRST TO START A CINEMA,B4 BEN BRUCE DID IT.HOPE U NOT TRYN TO KILL MA DREAMS, JUST KIDDING.ANYWAY GOOD FOR U,I THINIK U CAN DO IT.MAYBE U SHLD GIVE ME A CALL.WOULD LIKE TO GIVE U SOME IDEAS ON HOW TO GO ABOUT IT.BUT DON`T WANNA WRITE IT HERE FOR ALL TO C(GUESS U UNASTAND) GOODLUCK MAN IN ROCKING NIGERIA, E.MAIL ME T200M2002@YAHOO.COM
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by thegame(m): 6:05pm On Jul 21, 2007
Don't worry. You will manage to pull a youth crowd of 200 with 100 naira ticket grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by spoilt(f): 9:05pm On Jul 21, 2007
at least touts will attend. grin
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by chukky76(m): 7:55am On Jul 23, 2007
oh spoilt shut up. you in la, california. what do you know about whats going on in nigeria. i'm a fresh grad recently got a job at an investment bank so quite literally i'm in company of the actual leaders of tomorrow, our next batch of leaders, some of the smartest and brightest minds across industries and i assure you that there are more rock inclined than hip hop. despute me on that.

karrye
what do you want, i got almost 20000 rock songs on my pc and i could get more so let me know what u looking for and if i have it i'm a hook you up
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by cooldng(m): 12:01pm On Jul 23, 2007
Please consider James Blunt for a start, dont blow it out of proportions and check out Abuja.
I'm sure you'll get a good turn out. You can be sure i'll be there! wink
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by Banderas(m): 12:03pm On Jul 23, 2007
Coold - James Blunt is NOT rock, he sings pop music.
Re: Would A Rock Concert Pull A Crowd In Nigeria? by RuuDie(m): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2007
@spoilt,
lol. . .

@topic
With d support of d major radio stations, publicity's almost fully covered & dats good 4 d show's success!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

P-square Feat. Akon & May-d - Chop My Money (remix) [listen & Download] / My Love from 2face! New Video! / Rooftop Mc's New Song Feat Cobhams

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.