Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,783 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:05 AM

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (32221 Views)

Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
After buying my child's cardigan (exact size), she lost it same term. I just bought a new one - one size bigger. She will use it till she enter senior secondary.
Pikin sef dey cause am

14 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by McOluOmo: 4:20pm On Jul 05, 2021
Pesin go read all these comments and not laugh grin cheesy
My friend! Ur problem pass Nigeria current situation

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by CDCEO001: 4:22pm On Jul 05, 2021
You Sabi write and make your story interesting to read and fun as well. I don laugh tire.

My own oversized clothes story is to long, let me just say small.
I lived with my uncle from when I was 10yrs.
Almost all my clothes were oversized, most of them were giving to me by grown ups who have used it themselves before giving it to me.
Sometimes I will cut the trouser to my hight and will look like skirt on me.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Ajah489(m): 4:23pm On Jul 05, 2021
You are very funny.Thats very true

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by HRSweetness(f): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
hbemigho:
I believe it is peculiarly characteristic of Nigerian parents to buy extremely oversized clothing and accessories for their children.

I mean, how can you go to the market to buy a shirt or shoe for me and you left me at home?

How?

So my mum will take a broom stick to measure my leg before going to the market and then come back with a shoe that is almost the size of my father's leg.

Wawu!

Mummy edakun, bhet what happened to the broomstick you went with na?

Or issit that you measure my leg to goan buy shoe for daddy? �

Of course, you know I cannot voice any of these out. Na inside my mind the conversation dey go on.

Or should I talk about how my dad will drive to Warri to buy longsleeve shirts for me and my brother, that after wearing the shirt, we will now be looking like all those overzealous upcoming evangelist sent against their will to win lost souls for Christ in the remotest of villages.

The painful part is that my dad will now be saying,

Wow! See as this cloth fit you. I wish I can take it for myself.

Inside my mind I wee be like, why not just take it na, it's kukuma your size you have bought so.

For many years, I tried to figure out why our parents were always exhibiting this behavior.

If it's because they want us to wear the cloths for a longer period as we dey grow like agric fowl, so that we won't be outgrowing cloths per second, per second.

But you know what usually happens?

Before we will now grow into the cloths, like when the one they bought for me is now actually my size, the shirt go don wash, fade or tear anyhow.

So what is now the point?

As a young boy with too much swag, I was always having severe chest pain in my neck whenever my parents wanted to get us new cloths.

The day I gave up on the struggle was when my mum accompanied my dad to the optometrist to select a glass frame for him

Brethren, my supposedly ever young fineboy dad came back wearing one kind glasses that had him looking like an old retired government secondary school principal in one of those remote villages.

The frame nor just fit am at all.

The thing was very oversize.

As in the glass frame big pass my daddy's small face.

My mum kept saying wow, see how you are looking so smart.

Omo!

Inside my mind, I was saying "yes make e dey go round like this."

This oversize ehn, everybody must collect!

Photos used for illustration

LOL, very interesting write up plus zero grammatical blunder. I feel like opening a go fund me account on your behalf.

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 4:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
It was going well until I got to the last line where you said trouser be looking like skirt.

Guy!!!!!!!!!!
CDCEO001:
You Sabi write and make your story interesting to read and fun as well. I don laugh tire.

My own oversized clothes story is to long, let me just say small.
I lived with my uncle from when I was 10yrs.
Almost all my clothes were oversized, most of them were giving to me by grown ups who have used it themselves before giving it to me.
Sometimes I will cut the trouser to my hight and will look like skirt on me.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by drezzyx(m): 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
I remembered asking my father to buy a Christmas dress for me,he ended up buying a parachute kind of dress and trouser for me i was flying in it..
As a smart kid that i am and with the help of my mom then, i ended up wearing his slimfitted trouser and shirt for my Xmas celebration because i refused going to church that day..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Rayes3: 4:26pm On Jul 05, 2021
gfon:
Omo i dey always shed tears wen mumsi go buy suits(coats) for us,coats looking like agbada with enough foam for shoulder.I dey always see am like parachute.For the shoes area,abeg no go there,i no wan start to cry this monday morning.

Hahahaha hahahaha. My Belle oo������

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by complexBoss12: 4:30pm On Jul 05, 2021
grin grin
burst my brain. I don die, God! you guys are funny!!

Kondomatic:
Back then I didn't need to "wear" my clothes. I simply "walked" into them.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2021
liztop2012:
I know someone that wore the 'coat' she wore for primary six graduation for her ND project defence upper year, it fitted her very well so I was imagining how it looked on her when in pry six����
lol..chei..
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Glamouzpeter(f): 4:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
While growing up in terms of dressing I was so so smart, anytime my mum buys over size cloth for me I will tell it to her face that I don't like it and that it is too big I'll ask her to help me shape it to my size but she will insist and growing up every day and there is nothing she can do about it, my brothers and sisters I will make sure I cry the living hell out of me, and trust my mum she is always ready to make sure the living hell comes faster by beating the hell out

8 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by tosyne2much(m): 4:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
The way I bursted into laughter ehn grin

Very Funny thread

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:36pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ishilove:
Buhahahahahahaha!! Comedy central cheesy

Op your mama na the MVP grin

My mummy always managed to buy the correct size for me and my sibs. I don't know how she did it but the sizes were always the right fit
Na purposely them dey do am..person go buy shortsleeve for him pikin..when the pikin wear am na long sleeve e go turn..and Dem go praise you say the thing fit you..

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
Glamouzpeter:
While growing up in terms of dressing I was so so smart, anytime my mum buys over size cloth for me I will tell it to her face that I don't like it and that it is too big I'll ask her to help me shape it to my size but she will insist and growing up every day and there is nothing she can do about it, my brothers and sisters I will make sure I cry the living hell out of me, and trust my mum she is always ready to make sure the living hell comes faster by beating the hell out
You enjoy na..if na my house you go chop beating join your cry and you go still wear that cloth..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 3idiots: 4:37pm On Jul 05, 2021
Mrxawe:
E get one baggy jeans my mama by for me in 2001 during Christmas. Now I'm 29 years, living alone and independent but I still have that jeans in my wardrobe.

But I swear to God, up till now that jeans never still size me. Sometimes I go wan throway am but I still see it as a treasure that should be in a museum grin. I only wore that jeans once and that was boxing day of 2001. I remember those agbero kids in my street at Isale eko (you know how rugged that place was back then) laughing me and using me to do yeye.i can never forget. Shame catch me so tay I run back go house go off am instantly and that was the last time I ever wore it. This is 2021 and that shi doesn't still size me. When I look at it, am always like "what the hell". How did I look on this baggy jeans back then. As a kid, I preferred my father buying cloths for me. He go buy you confirm stuff wey you sef go like but you see my mama ehn, she go buy you cloth wey you go fit use for the next 20 years.

God! I nearly choked with laughter. Thanks man.

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Elvis8236(m): 4:38pm On Jul 05, 2021
All this one's na novice, back then pale buy short gean, When I try the cloth, my waist fit enter one leg hole conveniently, oboy na so I pack cloth one side, that one don pass slim fitting power

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
1F30M4:
Hahahaha this guyyy grin grin na my primary 1 school uniform vex me gan and popsy been wan snap me with im camera for morning, I no gree smile at all.
Shebi you use am graduate?

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
Elvis8236:
All this one's na novice, back then pale buy short gean, When I try the cloth, my waist fit enter one leg hole conveniently, oboy na so I pack cloth one side, that one don pass slim fitting power
Lol..na rope you go use belt no go fit hold that one..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 3idiots: 4:40pm On Jul 05, 2021
I want to thank the creator of this thread and those that commented for making my day. I lost my job today, but this thread put some joy and happiness in me. If not for any other thing, it's was nostalgic. I remembered those childhood days, when you just have to worry for nothing.

The good old days...

Thanks once again!!

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Glamouzpeter(f): 4:41pm On Jul 05, 2021
lilvicky68:

You enjoy na..if na my house you go chop beating join your cry and you go still wear that cloth..
Yes it's true oo
But u know there are many advantages of being an only child or the only child with a particular sex in the family
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:43pm On Jul 05, 2021
Glamouzpeter:

Yes it's true oo
But u know there are many advantages of being an only child or the only child with a particular sex in the family
No wonder..
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:44pm On Jul 05, 2021
3idiots:
I want to thank the creator of this thread and those that commented for making my day. I lost my job today, but this thread put some joy and happiness in me. If not for any other thing, it's was nostalgic. I remembered those childhood days, when you just have to worry for nothing.

The good old days...

Thanks once again!!
God dey another one go come..

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 4:46pm On Jul 05, 2021
StreetFight:
Till today, I am very uncomfortable in fitted clothes. I grew up in oversized clothes and I am used to it. My feet is currently size 42, but I wear size 44 and sometimes manage size 43. I cannot wear a show that is my size, its makes me very uncomfortable. I don't like tight things. Even while growing up, only big aunties with big pusssies were fuccking me, so till today, I don't like tight pusssies.

One million salutation to my late grandma. I know she is eating and dinning with God
i don't like tight pussci? Ur case is different,

Anyway pls what is size 42 convert to American size? Someone wan dash me shoe there.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 4:50pm On Jul 05, 2021
Volkswagen90:
i don't like tight pussci? Ur case is different,

Anyway pls what is size 42 convert to American size? Someone wan dash me shoe there.
52.. grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jul 05, 2021
lilvicky68:

52.. grin
Ha ha! Sebi na size 1,2,3 to 8,9 ,10 them they use,u no kuku sabi America,the one of USA.mctheeewww

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 5:01pm On Jul 05, 2021
Volkswagen90:
Ha ha! Sebi na size 1,2,3 to 8,9 ,10 them they use,u no kuku sabi America,the one of USA.mctheeewww
Just tell am to send you big size..if e no enter you.. add paper or nylon inside wear nobody go know..

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
lilvicky68:

Just tell am to send you big size..if e no enter you.. add paper or nylon inside wear nobody go know..
over my dead body,i be 32 years old guy.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 5:07pm On Jul 05, 2021
Dunno what to say about this thread. Kai! Dude and others una deserve blessings jare. Nairaland is something else aswear...from hatred to fun to humanity aspect of it.
Na only Seun and Mods dey spoil this site. Make una innovate am small put some icons and emoji �

6 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Ochason(m): 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2021
My own nah something else. How can you explain when ur mumsy go carry ur sister's trousers and mend for you as a guy and hailing you that eehh see as ur looking like a one rich kid like that, see as this one fit u fine die. Me in my mind I go dey cry . And the cloth go give u the shape of a woman for back. I dey hustle well make my children no experience wetin I pass Tru then.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 5:08pm On Jul 05, 2021
Volkswagen90:
over my dead body,i be 32 years old guy.
The best option will be to shapen the shoe..
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Psoul(m): 5:13pm On Jul 05, 2021
Future Tense

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Fiancée Is Acting Suspicious / My Pregnant Ex Girlfriend Has Refused My Help / 6-Year-Old Boy Cries As His Mother Weds (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.