Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,449 members, 7,846,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 05:39 AM

Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story (32188 Views)

Most Nigerian Parents And Their Poor Child Spacing! A Must Read!!! / Is Modern Marriage A Scam? My Own Story / US Soldier Flies Home To Surprise His Parents And Walks In On Them Having Sex (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by prettyrose: 9:48pm On Jul 05, 2021
This post made my night,i have just been laughing reading people's comment.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by delpee(f): 10:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
grin grin grin grin grin grin

@OP
Thanks for making me laugh so hard.

Parenthood ain't an easy task. Life has always been tough for parents in the Lower and Lower Middle classes especially. Mothers know that the only way to have less anxiety is to be prudent and creative about purchases.

Having to buy new stuff every term can be frustrating for parents who are working with tight budgets. Both the parents and the children have to bear with each other under the circumstances. cheesy
Great pity but the important thing is to succeed and then to look back and laugh heartily with the benefit of hindsight. God bless African parents.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by delpee(f): 10:44pm On Jul 05, 2021
3idiots:
I want to thank the creator of this thread and those that commented for making my day. I lost my job today, but this thread put some joy and happiness in me. If not for any other thing, it's was nostalgic. I remembered those childhood days, when you just have to worry for nothing.

The good old days...

Thanks once again!!

May God open doors of favor unto you.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Equity15(m): 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2021
Lwkmd grin grin

This is the funniest thread I have seen this year. Mehn I don dey laff since. Damn!!! You guys made my night. Nigerian parents just act the same way. Lol as I dey read all the comments I just dey remember my Papa and Mama face(especially my mama) when I don wear the over sized cloths with my shiny head ,one yeye glass and over sized shoe and them go dey say. " 'fine boy' see as the cloth fit you. Chai. 'i born fine pikin oh' hurry up make I call I call that camera man make him come snap you'. Mehn it wasn't funny then.

African parents are too much grin

9 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 11:05pm On Jul 05, 2021
Don't I just love you? OK, I love this your comment.

Yes you are welcome. And thank you for engaging on the thread too.
delpee:
grin grin grin grin grin grin

@OP
Thanks for making me laugh so hard.

Parenthood ain't an easy task. Life has always been tough for parents in the Lower and Lower Middle classes especially. Mothers know that the only way to have less anxiety is to be prudent and creative about purchases.

Having to buy new stuff every term can be frustrating for parents who are working with tight budgets. Both the parents and the children have to bear with each other under the circumstances. cheesy
Great pity but the important thing is to succeed and then to look back and laugh heartily with the benefit of hindsight. God bless African parents.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Joydan95: 6:47am On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
I believe it is peculiarly characteristic of Nigerian parents to buy extremely oversized clothing and accessories for their children.

I mean, how can you go to the market to buy a shirt or shoe for me and you left me at home?

How?

So my mum will take a broom stick to measure my leg before going to the market and then come back with a shoe that is almost the size of my father's leg.

Wawu!

Mummy edakun, bhet what happened to the broomstick you went with na?

Or issit that you measure my leg to goan buy shoe for daddy? �

Of course, you know I cannot voice any of these out. Na inside my mind the conversation dey go on.

Or should I talk about how my dad will drive to Warri to buy longsleeve shirts for me and my brother, that after wearing the shirt, we will now be looking like all those overzealous upcoming evangelist sent against their will to win lost souls for Christ in the remotest of villages.

The painful part is that my dad will now be saying,

Wow! See as this cloth fit you. I wish I can take it for myself.

Inside my mind I wee be like, why not just take it na, it's kukuma your size you have bought so.

For many years, I tried to figure out why our parents were always exhibiting this behavior.

If it's because they want us to wear the cloths for a longer period as we dey grow like agric fowl, so that we won't be outgrowing cloths per second, per second.

But you know what usually happens?

Before we will now grow into the cloths, like when the one they bought for me is now actually my size, the shirt go don wash, fade or tear anyhow.

So what is now the point?

As a young boy with too much swag, I was always having severe chest pain in my neck whenever my parents wanted to get us new cloths.

The day I gave up on the struggle was when my mum accompanied my dad to the optometrist to select a glass frame for him

Brethren, my supposedly ever young fineboy dad came back wearing one kind glasses that had him looking like an old retired government secondary school principal in one of those remote villages.

The frame nor just fit am at all.

The thing was very oversize.

As in the glass frame big pass my daddy's small face.

My mum kept saying wow, see how you are looking so smart.

Omo!

Inside my mind, I was saying "yes make e dey go round like this."

This oversize ehn, everybody must collect!

Photos used for illustration
I am a victim o. My mum bought one skirt and blouse for me since 2006 during Christmas, the thing no size me. My mum used pin to hold the waist for me to church...I was disappointed and I was pained. I abandoned the cloth and two years ago the skirt started to fit perfectly. The second oversized skirt she bought since 2009 still doesn’t fit, I am deliberately keeping it to see the year it will fit.,,,,Nigerian parents share the same DNA grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by StreetFight: 7:29am On Jul 06, 2021
Volkswagen90:
i don't like tight pussci? Ur case is different,

Anyway pls what is size 42 convert to American size? Someone wan dash me shoe there.

I detest anything tight.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Santinho: 8:01am On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
I believe it is peculiarly characteristic of Nigerian parents to buy extremely oversized clothing and accessories for their children.

I mean, how can you go to the market to buy a shirt or shoe for me and you left me at home?

How?

So my mum will take a broom stick to measure my leg before going to the market and then come back with a shoe that is almost the size of my father's leg.

Wawu!

Mummy edakun, bhet what happened to the broomstick you went with na?

Or issit that you measure my leg to goan buy shoe for daddy? �

Of course, you know I cannot voice any of these out. Na inside my mind the conversation dey go on.

Or should I talk about how my dad will drive to Warri to buy longsleeve shirts for me and my brother, that after wearing the shirt, we will now be looking like all those overzealous upcoming evangelist sent against their will to win lost souls for Christ in the remotest of villages.

The painful part is that my dad will now be saying,

Wow! See as this cloth fit you. I wish I can take it for myself.

Inside my mind I wee be like, why not just take it na, it's kukuma your size you have bought so.

For many years, I tried to figure out why our parents were always exhibiting this behavior.

If it's because they want us to wear the cloths for a longer period as we dey grow like agric fowl, so that we won't be outgrowing cloths per second, per second.

But you know what usually happens?

Before we will now grow into the cloths, like when the one they bought for me is now actually my size, the shirt go don wash, fade or tear anyhow.

So what is now the point?

As a young boy with too much swag, I was always having severe chest pain in my neck whenever my parents wanted to get us new cloths.

The day I gave up on the struggle was when my mum accompanied my dad to the optometrist to select a glass frame for him

Brethren, my supposedly ever young fineboy dad came back wearing one kind glasses that had him looking like an old retired government secondary school principal in one of those remote villages.

The frame nor just fit am at all.

The thing was very oversize.

As in the glass frame big pass my daddy's small face.

My mum kept saying wow, see how you are looking so smart.

Omo!

Inside my mind, I was saying "yes make e dey go round like this."

This oversize ehn, everybody must collect!

Photos used for illustration

OP I appreciate your writing skills and sense of humour. And also, thank you to all those that contributed to this thread. This is my post of the year for now.

Honestly, my bellle don scatter with laugh. I
hardly comment on nairaland but this one touch me Wella. Nairaland is fun sha. After reading to the last page, I had to come back to quote you for reference. I go share this post with a friend going through a tough time make my guy laugh small.

I know say I go come back view this thread again to laugh more.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by IgweBUIKE1(m): 8:14am On Jul 06, 2021
Thread was on point..I had to read three times...was laffing like am a madman. My own mom buys exactly my size especially for Xmas. .but you dare not wear your Xmas cloth on rhat day if it does not on fall Sunday...

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 001spice: 8:34am On Jul 06, 2021
Oga will you be kind enough to saw us the ones you have bought for your kids

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 8:38am On Jul 06, 2021
Honestly, this made my day.

Even me that created the thread didn't know it would be this fun and exciting oh.

I don laugh so tey I don dey get stomach pain for my neck.

Guys, please follow me, I will definitely be dropping more engaging threads like this.

This country don already too hard, make we dey use this side dey unwind abeg.
I
Santinho:

OP I appreciate your writing skills and sense of humour. And also, thank you to all those that contributed to this thread. This is my post of the year for now.

Honestly, my bellle don scatter with laugh. I
hardly comment on nairaland but this one touch me Wella. Nairaland is fun sha. After reading to the last page, I had to come back to quote you for reference. I go share this post with a friend going through a tough time make my guy laugh small.

I know say I go come back view this thread again to laugh more.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 8:45am On Jul 06, 2021
Haba!

I can't go and continue doing the same thing my parents used to soffocate me na.

Oya see my sons here na
001spice:
Oga will you be kind enough to saw us the ones you have bought for your kids

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by 001spice: 8:56am On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
Haba!

I can't go and continue doing the same thing my parents used to soffocate me na.

Oya see my sons here na
nice one bro. But still you need to appreciate your parent.coz they give u wat they can. You even learn from the them to do more better

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Nobody: 9:07am On Jul 06, 2021
StreetFight:

I detest anything tight.
Gbayi,thank you
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Kyngfarabale1(m): 9:13am On Jul 06, 2021
ford101:
All this small boys wey no get swag. I remember the days of fubu 05.God that year was off the hook.if you see me on my afro, big white tee shirt, fubu and timms. Then u ll respect the game.
Late 90s and very early 2000s
Hahahaha
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 9:27am On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
Haba!

Oya see my sons here na
Fine boys..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 10:04am On Jul 06, 2021
You are absolutely right.
001spice:
nice one bro. But still you need to appreciate your parent.coz they give u wat they can. You even learn from the them to do more better
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by MercyBam(f): 12:23pm On Jul 06, 2021
You're very right. I bought oversized shoe for my daughter in December, you can't believe the shoe fits her well now. In the space of just six month oo

NoToPile:
Oh my Goodness's

I have been laughing since, grandma bought christmas suit for my son in 2019, the suit is still not yet his size grin

I am also guilty of some of these sha. cheesy

But then these kids grow so fast.

You buy accurate size for a 3month old, in 4 weeks max it might not size them again

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Santinho: 1:58pm On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
Honestly, this made my day.

Even me that created the thread didn't know it would be this fun and exciting oh.

I don laugh so tey I don dey get stomach pain for my neck.

Guys, please follow me, I will definitely be dropping more engaging threads like this.

This country don already too hard, make we dey use this side dey unwind abeg.
I

Thanks Bro. I have followed you already. Keep the threads coming and please, kindly quote me when you drop any. Threads like this help you unwind the daily stress of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 6:19pm On Jul 06, 2021
I have been trying to start another thread since morning but I keep getting this message that I should try later that the server is down.

Please, is anyone experiencing this too or it's just me?
Santinho:

Thanks Bro. I have followed you already. Keep the threads coming and please, kindly quote me when you drop any. Threads like this help you unwind the daily stress of Nigeria.

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by chukwugoziegi: 7:10pm On Jul 06, 2021
Dee4luv:
Nobody is even talking about those kinda Mary amaka shoe with strong leather☹️☹️ they will be like this is everlasting.. grin

My mother used to call it Everlasting if you see the soles of those shoes ehen. Dem fit take am break person head. I stuff shoe with shoe pad and Tissue so they my leg white. God! I love that woman. Our parents all went to the same school.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by lilvicky68(m): 7:18pm On Jul 06, 2021
hbemigho:
I have been trying to start another thread since morning but I keep getting this message that I should try later that the server is down.

Please, is anyone experiencing this too or it's just me?
Server is overwhelmed...lol I'm flabbergasted..
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by hbemigho(m): 7:58pm On Jul 06, 2021
Ok

Santinho:

Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Superpack589: 8:10pm On Jul 06, 2021
Omor I don laff taya. That thing dy always ves me that time eh.
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by CDCEO001: 10:24am On Jul 07, 2021
hbemigho:
It was going well until I got to the last line where you said trouser be looking like skirt.

Guy!!!!!!!!!!
Hahaha 😂 na true life strory...
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Dee4luv: 11:17pm On Jul 08, 2021
chukwugoziegi:

My mother used to call it Everlasting if you see the soles of those shoes ehen. Dem fit take am break person head. I stuff shoe with shoe pad and Tissue so they my leg white. God! I love that woman. Our parents all went to the same school.

Gbam... It seems like they were all trained under same roof grin grin grin
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Lamanii22(f): 9:47pm On Oct 01, 2023
sisisioge:
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I have two terrible pictures from childhood where I looked like an hanger used to hang an oversize dress grin....may God bless us jare....they said I will grow into the dress grin grin grin grin

😂😂😂😂
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Thazard(m): 11:27pm On Oct 01, 2023
1F30M4:
Hahahaha this guyyy grin grin na my primary 1 school uniform vex me gan and popsy been wan snap me with im camera for morning, I no gree smile at all.
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Thazard(m): 11:28pm On Oct 01, 2023
Equity15:
Lwkmd grin grin

This is the funniest thread I have seen this year. Mehn I don dey laff since. Damn!!! You guys made my night. Nigerian parents just act the same way. Lol as I dey read all the comments I just dey remember my Papa and Mama face(especially my mama) when I don wear the over sized cloths with my shiny head ,one yeye glass and over sized shoe and them go dey say. " 'fine boy' see as the cloth fit you. Chai. 'i born fine pikin oh' hurry up make I call I call that camera man make him come snap you'. Mehn it wasn't funny then.

African parents are too much grin
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Thazard(m): 11:55pm On Oct 01, 2023
africapeople:
Haha, till Today my childhood Friends still call me herbalist because of the big big native kaftan my aunt used to sew for me Every xmas , Chai, person go just resemble baba ijebu on a day we are supposed celebrating the birth of Christ o.
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Thazard(m): 11:57pm On Oct 01, 2023
gfon:
Omo i dey always shed tears wen mumsi go buy suits(coats) for us,coats looking like agbada with enough foam for shoulder.I dey always see am like parachute.For the shoes area,abeg no go there,i no wan start to cry this monday morning.
cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Nigerian Parents And Oversized Cloths | My Own Story by Thazard(m): 12:03am On Oct 02, 2023
Zeuslord:
Some of you guys are complaining!
Mumsy go tell me say make I follow her go market make she buy shoe for me.
but we will still return to the house with a shoe meant for the future (5years + ooo).
so my own internal pains and tears dey start from market.
cheesycheesycheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Best Place To Meet A Spouse / Your Husband in The Labor Room During Childbirth? / My Pregnant Ex Girlfriend Has Refused My Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.