Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,089 members, 7,825,434 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:31 PM

PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS (20064 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Declares Another Free Passage At Lekki, Ikoyi Toll Plazas On Wednesday / Woman Spotted Sleeping At NASS Inauguration (Photos) / Senator Bassey Albert Wearing Only One Shoe At NASS Yesterday (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by lalasticlala(m): 12:13pm On Jul 05, 2021
Delta state born Hon. Ben Igbakpa, a member of House Representatives representing Ethiope East/Ethiope West constituency has this to say about the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB).

The Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB) is a significantly protracted Bill. Indeed, I can understand the backlash and disappointment that followed its passage at @nassnigeria. I share the same sentiments and given my inside knowledge; I can express my perspective.

#Thread #PIB
True, the house of Reps passed the bill at 5% allocation for the host communities. But that is not the whole story. In fact, so much of the arguments and back-channel lobbying to get this bill to where it is today can not be exhaustively explained in a summarized form.
Legislation is very tedious, more so, when it concerns resource allocation and revenue appropriation. Lawmakers always try to blur the lines btw the expectations of the people and the reality of interests. Not quite easy when interest is permanent and expectations are undulating.

There are calls for the head of lawmakers from the Niger Delta particularly alleging that we did not do enough to impress the expectations of our people. That would have been a wild guess if I wasn’t aware of efforts put in by factions of the ND caucus in the national assembly.

The past few years have witnessed dramatic changes in the oil and gas industry. Currently in Nigeria, only @TotalEnergies is active across all streams of the oil and gas sector. Many companies are still struggling to operate in a badly affected oil and gas industry.

The focus of the PIB is to serve as a legal framework to decide the obligations of the Oil and Gas companies (including NNPC) and the Nigerian state (especially the host communities). The spelt out obligations also include a responsibility to ensure the survival of the companies.

The PIB is not perfect. No law in the world is perfect. PIB a relatively new pledge for ordering the intersecting affairs of all stakeholders – companies, the Nigerian state, and the Nigerian people. However, the bill has verified the byline of conflicting interests.
There is also the vague definition of “Host Communities”. I have always expressed the need for clarity on this because when a law is difficult to interpret, it leaves loops for technicalities and affords the discretion to misapprehend.

What constitutes a host community is an area I am uncomfortable with.
For many reasons, we all desire transparency in the @NNPCgroup and oil and gas resources development. What is paramount is the conscious development of the Host Communities, especially the ones where there are heavy exploration activities. That is my primary interest.

One thing is to set aside a frontier fund for the progress of the host communities, another thing is to disburse the funds. The burden of provision rests with the Federal Government, which is another grey area that intersects with Federalism. It leaves room for idiosyncrasies.
There is also the aspect of the revenue sharing formulae as determined by the @nassnigeria. In a prior understanding between the 2 legislative houses, 5% was agreed but the @NGRSenate review to 3% has generated a lot of animosities.

Because it is not cast in iron and steel, My hope is that it will be reviewed for concurrence with the resolution of @HouseNGR.
The oil companies also have their concerns as it concerns the percentage bar. They bear the cost and risk of the exploration of petroleum. Therefore, the mandated remittance must be fair to them as they also bear the burden of other regulatory compliance.

We want an industry that is competitive and lucrative for investors (foreign and local).
No denying the chance of influencing investment opportunities. The oil industry is struggling. It is the same globally, whether Qatar or Saudi, there is a compulsion to sustain the interest from investors to include the development of New Basins.

Nonetheless, the PIB is a milestone given the present circumstances. It presents a qualitative opportunity to take a good step forward. Often that is all that is required to start the journey of a million miles. There is going to be a transition in the quantitative benefits.

The law is amendable to show the positive demands from the oil companies and the regulator. While the bill in its current form is indeed not able to fulfil all our desires. But the reality is that we cannot “dictate” our demand through the constituted process of legislation.
I know that we applied our influence to improve the sector and welcome new methods to guarantee our inclusion. At the conference, we will continue to make debates for our people and ensure a harmonized bill that will give us a significant shot at progress, no matter how marginal.

I hope we can find a resolution in the shortest time so we can make progress. The bill in its current form will not settle everything. I have come to terms with that.

But at the table, whatever increases my people’s ability to benefit from what we have been denied is progress. I will always make progress.

Ben Igbakpa

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Joromi1: 12:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
You can only react to get noticed but you'll still submit to the clever Fulani caliphate. Give it to the northerners, they're more united than southerners, and until we get rid of the saboteurs in our midst and learn to reason as one we will always stay below them.

67 Likes 3 Shares

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by slivertongue: 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2021
the rubbers stamp nass won't fail in disappointing Nigerians

10 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by slivertongue: 12:25pm On Jul 05, 2021
am glad you share the sentiment that u and ur colleagues are a failure, a scam, a rubber stamp

43 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by ishiamu(m): 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2021
Stupid man

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 05, 2021
Joromi1:
You can only react to get noticed but you'll still submit to the clever Fulani caliphate. Give it to the northerners, they're more united than southerners, and until we get rid of the saboteurs in our midst and learn to reason as one we will always stay below them.
I agree with you. This are the kind of bills GEJ should have really hard on, and make sure it really favors his people, but he was busy looting.

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
grin

1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by SecretReporter(f): 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2021
Forget the blackface, we are only deceiving ourselves

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Veliji: 1:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
Well well well

1 Like

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by temitope27(m): 1:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
cheesy
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by stonemind(f): 1:11pm On Jul 05, 2021
H
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by biggy26: 1:12pm On Jul 05, 2021
After all the years of lobbying, na here una reach.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by zombieHUNTER: 1:12pm On Jul 05, 2021
Southerners are bunch of jokers...

Especially their politicians...

Just a pity

10 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by CasNova: 1:13pm On Jul 05, 2021
HALF A LOAF IS BETTER THAN NOTHING.

1 Like

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Ajectted: 1:14pm On Jul 05, 2021
Joromi1:
Well said

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by sapientia(m): 1:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
Very disgusting reaction

He made more sense when he said nothing

Was the passed Bill what was agreed?

10 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Ayed44: 1:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
I agree with you. This are the kind of bills GEJ should have really hard on, and make sure it really favors his people, but he was busy looting.
When did GEJ start making laws?

11 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by BarrElChapo(m): 1:15pm On Jul 05, 2021
Lolz.. Long story, no action. Our politicians need to go back and learn how the game of politics is played else they'd also be a the back burner.
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Seniorwriter(m): 1:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
Imagine what they passed?
Very clueless incompetent present collection of criminals looters calling themselves representatives and senators..SMH.

We need young visionary leaders in all political positions in Nigeria.

@Seniorwriter

1 Like 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by zolajpower: 1:16pm On Jul 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
God bless you, And some mumu came for my head the other because I called him a drunken sailor and that if he had leverage on yaradua 's economic structure no living soul from the age of 18 upward would vote bubu into power again in 2015 . My offence

7 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by moshoodn(m): 1:18pm On Jul 05, 2021
PIB passage after many years of waiting still fell below expectation.

Atypical of a certain country on the western shorelines of Africa.

3 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Reference(m): 1:19pm On Jul 05, 2021
I am sure professional boxing was like this a long while ago before someone thought, 'Hey we ought to have weight divisions so that the little guy can have belts and titles as well'.

I am also sure that before that decision the little guy had to take no more than 5 percent.

Folks, without restructuring you cannot create the weight divisions to ensure every Nigerian wins, period.

7 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by ekaette1621: 1:20pm On Jul 05, 2021
I laugh in Swahili

But i wont comment cos the fear of mods banning me is the beginning of wisdom.

Please did i comment?
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Laggafin: 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2021
I just waste my phone ink..
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Germi9: 1:24pm On Jul 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord:
The man loot no be small

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by younglleo: 1:34pm On Jul 05, 2021
Ok
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Realtonytonero: 1:39pm On Jul 05, 2021
lalasticlala:
Delta state born Hon. Ben Igbakpa, a member of House Representatives representing Ethiope East/Ethiope West constituency has this to say about the passage of the Petroleum Industry Bill (PIB).

Ben Igbakpa
why did u consent to 3%
MF kept beating round the bush.

2 Likes

Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by free2ryhme: 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2021
cheesy
Re: PIB: Ben Igbakpa Reacts To Backlash And Disappointment After PIB Passage At NASS by Gaddafi1: 1:41pm On Jul 05, 2021
DubaiLandLord:

Busy drinking ogogoro (local gin) grin grin

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obiano Signs MOU With Graffil Group For Integrated Terminal And Park In Onitsha / EFCC Arraigns Maj Gen. Atewe, 3 Others Over N8.5bn NIMASA Scam(pics) / Seriake Dickson Visits Rotimi Amaechi In Abuja (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.