Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,935 members, 7,817,727 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

Most Famous Novels From other Continents. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Most Famous Novels From other Continents. (7848 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Get The Latest Hardley Chase Novels From Naira.com / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by Ndipe(m): 12:17am On May 15, 2011
SEFAGO:

I think the big issue here then is that the thread title is misleading. You should have said most famous literary works (limited to prose of course) or something in that line

I agree that suspense novels and thrillers (whether espionage, romance, fantasy) dont count as significant contributions to literature.

North America- the Great Gatsby, Gone with the wind, the catcher in the rye
Europe- I think a lot of opinions are very anglo-biased. I would vote for Dumas's The Count of Monte Cristo and the Three Musketeers, Hugo's Les Miserable, Dostoevsky "Crime and Punishment", Tolstoy "War and Peace", Chekhov is also a good writer especially his short stories
South America- Only read a couple, dont know how relatively good they are to call them classics
Australia: Clueless
Asia: Only familiar with the Chinese and a bit of Japanese. I know of the four classical novels: Romance of the three kingdom, A Journey to the West, Dream of the Red Chamber and Water Margin. I have read Romance of the three kingdom and Dream of the Red Chamber but not the other two. Very different from western  literature. I would advise any book nerd to try and read Dream of the Red Chamber. Very dense books though. Also read the Japanese book " A tale of Genji" but its a huge book and would only be suitable for long term readers.

In general I favor, long complex books as opposed to very short books, I like novels that have long and very complex plots.

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee ranks higher than any other American Novel in modern times. It holds the same status (if not higher) as Things Fall Apart does in Africa. Do a research on it and you will certainly agree with my conclusions.
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by SEFAGO(m): 7:08am On May 15, 2011
^ I actually read the book and was watching the movie two days ago grin. Did not bother to include it on the list since you have already.

I think its one of the many American Classics though not the sole American novel. Its the same with African novels. I understand that many people (especially Nigerians) assume that Things Fall apart is the quintessential african novel but there are still other African classics that rival Things Fall Apart. Maybe not as famous to the West but very famous to scholars. Most have slipped my mind though.

To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee ranks higher than any other American Novel in modern times.

Why do you assert thus?

the same can be said about the Great Gatsby, Steinbecks "The Grapes of Wrath" e.t.c. Even in Nigeria, Hemingway is more popular amongst literature students.
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by Btruth: 6:57pm On May 15, 2011
You guys should try John Grisham collection,  I've done nearly all of them. I've also seen most of them on the screen.

You can't beat them.

and what happen to the GODFATHER guys?

lol.
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by Ndipe(m): 2:18am On May 16, 2011
SEFAGO:

^ I actually read the book and was watching the movie two days ago  grin. Did not bother to include it on the list since you have already.

I think its one of the many American Classics though not the sole American novel. Its the same with African novels. I understand that many people (especially Nigerians) assume that Things Fall apart is the quintessential african novel but there are still other African classics that rival Things Fall Apart. Maybe not as famous to the West but very famous to scholars. Most have slipped my mind though.

Why do you assert thus?

the same can be said about the Great Gatsby, Steinbecks "The Grapes of Wrath" e.t.c. Even in Nigeria, Hemingway is more popular amongst literature students.

Do a search on it and you will concur with me that To Kill a Mockingbird consistently ranks higher than its peers. Meanwhile check out this link, http://www.infobarrel.com/Great_American_Novel_Contenders%3A_To_Kill_a_Mockingbird,_The_Great_Gatsby,_and_The_Scarlet_Letter

Things Fall Apart remains Africa' most famous novel. That's undisputed. Other novels that would be in the runner up category would be Weep not child by Ngugi  Wa Thiongo and So long a letter by Mariama Ba
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by economia: 9:05pm On Jun 26, 2012
abeeordun: the beautyful ones are not yet born is another master piece
And the urgly onece refuse to die.
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by Gloriagee(f): 10:41pm On Jun 27, 2012
US - Gone with the wind by Margaret Mitchell
Beloved by Toni Morrison
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The Audacity of hope by Barack Obama (Not a novel, tho)

Uk- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Famous Five series by Enid Blyton & her oda books kiss
Oliver Twist by D Banj Charles Dickens
Sense and Sensisibility/ Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Re: Most Famous Novels From other Continents. by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:33pm On Jun 28, 2012
Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
Alice in Wonderland - Lewis Carrol (was the pseudonym used but not the author's real name which I cant remember)
Roots by Sir Alex Haley
Lady Charttley's Lover - DH Lawrence
Anna Karenina by Tolstoy
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Little Women - Emily Bronte
Animal Farm - George Orwell
Famous Five series - by Enid Blyton (I know some may object to its inclusion but a classic is a classic jo)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Starting Your Freelance Writing Business As A Nigerians / The Gift Of Crabs: A Very Short Story / Not Sure Of Your Writing Skills? Post Here And We Can Help Each Other Improve

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.