Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,475 members, 7,770,163 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:24 AM

Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? (25393 Views)

A Yoruba Poem- Ise Logun Ise (work Is The Antidote For Poverty) / What Does A Yoruba Village Look Like? / A Yoruba Name For A Girl (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 10:07pm On Jun 01, 2011
^^the henna stuff isnt tattoo.

i guess you've been away too long and have forgotten your culture, assuming you knew much about it before, which is doubtful.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 12:38am On Jun 02, 2011
It's funny when people say something is or is not part of the culture. Are you the authority on what is or is not asa yoruba?

I have seen elderly Yoruba women (my great-aunt) with tattoos (a giant snake or something on the back, but I only saw part of it obviously, covered by wrappa). I never asked what the significance was, but it looked like a old-time religious tattoo, even though she is now a very staunch Christian.

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 12:43am On Jun 02, 2011
Egba girl:

ahahahahahahahahhahah I cant stop laughing!!!! tpia@ totally cracks me up!

But seriously at poster, if your husband is against tattoos, then why are you still going ahead to get one?? This might just be asking for trouble from your husband. It might be your body but then dont forget he is still the head and i mean he kinda owns your body if you know what I mean?. But that is up to you to decide sha. Its between you and your man. but really talk about it with him first because he might not be as excited as you when you show up at home with a tat on your shoulder.

Im not sure what you mean by birds seem to be an important symbol in ancient yoruba culture. Ive never heard of them. Fellow NLders, pls enlighten me if there is something about my culture that I do not know.

There are birds on many of the beaded crowns (Ade Ileke) of Yoruba Obas. The bird is the Okin, the royal bird.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by InkedNerd(f): 2:17am On Jun 02, 2011
lakal:

It's funny when people say something is or is not part of the culture. Are you the authority on what is or is not asa yoruba?

I have seen elderly Yoruba women (my great-aunt) with tattoos (a giant snake or something on the back, but I only saw part of it obviously, covered by wrappa). I never asked what the significance was, but it looked like a old-time religious tattoo, even though she is now a very staunch Christian.

lol oh so you haven't noticed that certain people like to pick and choose what is part of ones culture and what isn't. Welcome to nairaland lol grin
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:14am On Jun 02, 2011
lakal:

It's funny when people say something is or is not part of the culture.  Are you the authority on what is or is not asa yoruba?

I have seen elderly Yoruba women (my great-aunt) with tattoos (a giant snake or something on the back, but I only saw part of it obviously, covered by wrappa).  I never asked what the significance was, but it looked like a old-time religious tattoo, even though she is now a very staunch Christian.

better ask your great aunt why she had a giant snake on her back. Was she a sango worshipper or ogboni member? Do they tattoo snakes on their backs cos i'm not aware of any such thing. Are you from badagry or something?

yorubas do not get tattoos in the western manner- quote me anywhere. That's a western thing gotten from wherever.

the henna used by many west africans and older generations of yoruba women, is temporary and has to be repainted by the owner every so often.

tribal marks are the only permanent markings on the body.

in addition, the henna is mainly dyed on the palms, soles of the feet, and sometimes marked on the skin.

not in the form of snakes cos na all kinds of people dey this nl.

shouting obatala all the time doesnt really mean you know much about yoruba culture cos i've noticed some people seem to think cramming info on orunmila means they have a phd in yoruba knowledge.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:19am On Jun 02, 2011
lakal:

There are birds on many of the beaded crowns (Ade Ileke) of Yoruba Obas. The bird is the Okin, the royal bird.

birds generally symbolize witchcraft, among the yoruba.

i'm quite sure the op knows that.

okin is considered the king of birds, which may explain it's presence on the oba's crown.

if you consider yourself equal to or better than one [ie an oba], then of course you could get your own replica crown or tattoo an okin all over your body.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Nobody: 3:28am On Jun 02, 2011
lakal:

It's funny when people say something is or is not part of the culture.  Are you the authority on what is or is not asa yoruba?

I have seen elderly Yoruba women (my great-aunt) with tattoos (a giant snake or something on the back, but I only saw part of it obviously, covered by wrappa).  I never asked what the significance was, but it looked like a old-time religious tattoo, even though she is now a very staunch Christian.

So because your aunt decided to get a tattoo now means it's a Yoruba thing?

Did your grandmother and great grandmother also had tattoos? Which period did tattoo started forming and in which part of the world did it begin? Apart from tribal marks, did any African nation know what tattoo was before the 20th century?

In a CIVILIZED Yoruba household, tattoo is a no-no, seen as a bad western influence.

If you dont know what to type, why not simply go and play with your "idodo".
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Nobody: 3:32am On Jun 02, 2011
okooyinbo:

@Bayosgirl! Actually, tattoos are a part of Yoruba customs. It is no more common with the modern day Yorubas. That's the reason someone would claim it is not a part of Yoruba culture. The young people sha. In my years of sojourn on this planet earth, I have seen quite a lot of Yoruba women with tattoos. However, it is not comparable to want you get in the West. Yoruba tattoos are/were mostly (religiously) symbolic and not artistic. And yeah, we got the "ethnic" marks too, But there were (are still) certainly tattoos in Yoruba culture.

I think I recently watched a film on youtube where an authority in cultural thing was discussing the difference of tattoos and "ethnic" marks in the Yoruba context. I just cant recollect the name of the clip.

Do you know the difference between tattoos and tribal marks?

Never read from any documentary, never heard from any Yoruba person, never seen older Yoruba generation with any kind of tattoo.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:41am On Jun 02, 2011
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 12:44pm On Jun 02, 2011
tpia@:

better ask your great aunt why she had a giant snake on her back. Was she a sango worshipper or ogboni member? Do they tattoo snakes on their backs cos i'm not aware of any such thing. Are you from badagry or something?

yorubas do not get tattoos in the western manner- quote me anywhere. That's a western thing gotten from wherever.

the henna used by many west africans and older generations of yoruba women, is temporary and has to be repainted by the owner every so often.

tribal marks are the only permanent markings on the body.

in addition, the henna is mainly dyed on the palms, soles of the feet, and sometimes marked on the skin.

not in the form of snakes cos na all kinds of people dey this nl.

shouting obatala all the time doesnt really mean you know much about yoruba culture cos i've noticed some people seem to think cramming info on orunmila means they have a phd in yoruba knowledge.

Nope, from Ekiti, not Badagry.  My great aunt is also in her 80s.

Our body decorations in Yoruba culture are not only the tribal marks (abaja, gombo, etc).  Even tribal marks were not big in every part of Yorubaland.  There's an Ekiti traditional mark (three short marks on each cheek) but it is almost dead, very few people bear that mark anymore.
  Women used to get incisions made on their stomachs and other parts of their bodies that were decorations, especially those born into certain families.

Beyond Diversity: Women, Scarification, and Yoruba Identity
Olatunji Ojo

Body marking constituted one way of defining African cultural identities.  Among the Yoruba, markings, given modern terminologies, were of two types. First, tattoos (approx: ara fínfín), involving a range of incisions and/or paintings on the body and varied with class, age, gender, and fashion.  In 1863 Richard Burton, a British diplomat at Abeokuta, described the artistic elements of Yoruba tattoo, which he noted varied from “the diminutive prick to the great gash and the large boil-like lumps” in the images of “tortoise, alligators, lizards, starts, concentric circles, lozenge, right lines, welts, grouts of gore, marble or button like knots of flesh and elevated scars, resembling scalds.”70 Tattoos also formed part of Yoruba chieftaincy and medical rites. On installation, the Oyo army chief Are-Ona Kakanfo receives 201 incisions (gbẹrẹ) on his head so that medicine could be rubbed into his veins to make him fearless and courageous.71 As living symbols, tattoos, particularly those associated with fashion, usually moved with time based on generational and fashion preferences.

The other type, facial and/or torso scarification (ilà bibu/kíkọ), though similar to tattoo, involves cutting or making an incision into the skin, and then allowing the wound to heal, leaving a permanent scar. Scarification refers specifically to ethnic and lineage identities, like those of the Alaafin
and Basorun in Oyo, who had marks unique to them. In an interview with French scholar Marie d’Avézac Macaya, in 1839, Osifekunde, an Ijebu Yoruba slave, among other things described major scarifications in the Lagos hinterland and their relationship to ethnicity, age, and gender. Marking, “done for a fee by an artist . . . called alakila [oníkọlà or olóòlà] between ages six and seven, is a kind of insignia, a national badge, uniform for all individuals of the same group and different from one people to another so as to give each one a distinctive characteristic.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 12:59pm On Jun 02, 2011
The funny thing is that due to Christianity and Islam people have forgotten parts of their culture. (I'm not saying that is always bad, because there are plenty of things that should have been done away with).

Tattoos marking your body being "evil" or "uncivilized" is def. Christianity and Islam's influence. Funny enough, tribal marks (not tattoos) were once seen as the mark of a "civilized" person among the Yoruba.

"covering your unclothedness" is another one. Even though we didn't walk around nude, we exposed more of our bodies than the Europeans did, especially when working on the farm. Yet, we didn't see it as sinful in those days.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by step1: 2:40pm On Jun 02, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Do you know the difference between tattoos and tribal marks?

Never read from any documentary, never heard from any Yoruba person, never seen older Yoruba generation with any kind of tattoo.

There are tattoos in yoruba most especially in Ekiti and Ondo. In Ekiti there is a lizard tattoo on royalty's abdomen (belly).
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:43pm On Jun 02, 2011
^Thats circatrization. (sp).
Or just simply scarification.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:47pm On Jun 02, 2011
You men should let this thing go and stay out of matters that dont concern you.

Sebi una own na to bang as many women as possible in different settings.

Your priority is your privates so take care of that side and leave the culture preservation and whatever it entails, to the women.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:48pm On Jun 02, 2011
We are not as easily distracted.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by ezeagu(m): 2:52pm On Jun 03, 2011
Ileke-IdI:
Apart from tribal marks, did any African nation know what tattoo was before the 20th century?

Almost every culture on earth had tattoos.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tutuwater(m): 5:44pm On Jun 03, 2011
Actually there is d name of my grandfather tattoed to my grandmas thighs and i saw it today so am sure that tattoo must be part of the yoruba culture.
Plus i have seen many old women with words permanently written in the inside of thier arms.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 8:39pm On Jun 03, 2011
^^like i said, that's henna or circatrization.

olden days people did their palms, soles of their feet or sometimes certain symbols- nothing specifically "yoruba" per se.

the one you're describing [on your grandma], is actually an old arab custom as well- not sure if it's still practised today.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jun 03, 2011
step1:

There are tattoos in yoruba most especially in Ekiti and Ondo. In Ekiti there is a lizard tattoo on royalty's abdomen (belly).

Source?

Can any Native Ekiti verify this plz because I've never heard this one before.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 9:22pm On Jun 03, 2011
i thought step1 said he's from lagos so why is he refering to ekiti.

and yes, can we know more about the lizard tattoo which is probably a form of tribal marks or scarification.

or a recent thing.

never heard of the like.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by step1: 3:01am On Jun 04, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Source?

Can any Native Ekiti verify this plz because I've never heard this one before.

Lol it is a common practise sister mi. It might not be lizard, it can be any other thing and it is not specific to Ekiti it also common among Egbas and Awori that I know of. I know some older members of my family that have some sort of design on their bodies which they say is for beautification.

tpia@:

i thought step1 said he's from lagos so why is he refering to ekiti.

and yes, can we know more about the lizard tattoo which is probably a form of tribal marks or scarification.

or a recent thing.

never heard of the like.
Lol my sister
I am a native of lagos but it does not mean I should be ignorant of yoruba culture be it Ekiti or Ondo. You can learn more from this documentary concerning Tattoos in Yoruba culture.

Tattoos in Yoruba Culture - by Chief Atanda & Osunyemi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhB3aEft35U

I am still open for corrections. We are all learning everyday and no one is above correction.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tutuwater(m): 3:04am On Jun 04, 2011
On asking my grandma she said they call it soju(o with a dot under)

the mark is created with the use of pins tied together

the body is marked with the stack of pins until the shape or word required is formed

bleeding do occur from the wounds although minimal

reptiles like lizard or snake are common

names too are common

@ tpia@ it definately is a permanent mark and my conclusion is it is a tattoo

@bayosgirl a tattoo of the parrot called aiyekoto in yoruba could be symbolic for the parrot is beleived to always say the truth.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:29am On Jun 04, 2011
^^like i said, scarification.

http://www.amnh.org/exhibitions/bodyart/picture_21.html

mostly done with henna or some other fading medium.

it fades over time, to whatever extent.

i know the hands and feet ones have to be renewed to keep the colour and that would mainly be for special occasions.

reptiles like lizard or snake are  common

dont know about that. The ones they used to do [with henna] were mostly symbols which looked like words but werent. In tribal mark fashion.

lizards and snakes might be exclusive to whichever families were featuring them maybe. Like a cult/orisha affiliation or something.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 3:33am On Jun 04, 2011
a tattoo of the parrot called aiyekoto in yoruba could be symbolic

symbolic of the wearer perhaps.

parrot indeed.

i think you need to tell her there's no tattoo that represents yoruba per se. Its up to the individual what they want to put on their body.

at most, just tattoo the word yoruba-that's the most anyone can do. Or put cocoa picture or something.

I am still open for corrections. We are all learning everyday and no one is above correction.

true that.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 4:23am On Jun 04, 2011
Tpia, how is tattoing/scarification done with henna? Does henna last for years now?

Scarification
Henna
Tattoing w/ink

are all different. Why they are not common anymore is that Christianity viewed these practices as devilish.

Accept that you didn't know about an aspect of Yoruba culture, and now you do. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 4:27am On Jun 04, 2011
step1:

Tattoos in Yoruba Culture - by Chief Atanda & Osunyemi

Thank you for that video. I have watched several other videos on her channel and have learned a lot. smiley
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:31am On Jun 04, 2011
lakal:

Tpia, how is tattoing/scarification done with henna? Does henna last for years now?

Scarification
Henna
Tattoing w/ink

are all different. Why they are not common anymore is that Christianity viewed these practices as devilish.

Accept that you didn't know about an aspect of Yoruba culture, and now you do. Simple.

dont even go there, because you will injure yourself on this thread.

check your posts again- i'm not going to do it for you- and see where you confused yourself.

i dont respect men who only feel funky when they see a woman.

and enough blah blah blah about christianity.

na winch dey worry you. Go for deliverance.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 4:37am On Jun 04, 2011
tpia@:

dont even go there, because you will injure yourself on this thread.

check your posts again- i'm not going to do it for you- and see where you confused yourself.

i dont respect men who only feel funky when they see a woman.

and enough blah blah blah about christianity.

na winch dey worry you. Go for deliverance.

Winch ke, are you alright? Do you know me from somewhere? Cause I sure don't know you. Instead of educating yourself, you are throwing insults.

Please, only respond with salient points, not ad hominem attacks. O se

2 Likes

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:39am On Jun 04, 2011
see what you typed in typical s.tupid fashion, and you now want to get a swollen head because you saw a woman:

Wetin kain tribal mark? Na oyo/ibadan kini, di rest of yoruba no go get tribal mark o

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=3391.msg702197#msg702197

the rest of yoruba no get tribal mark?

you dey craze.

like i said, go through your posts on this thread and identify your ERRORS cos i'm not going to do it for you.

and if i were you, i'd leave the theory to those of us who actually know something, and instead focus on advertising your privates which i'm sure is what brought you to the thread in the first place.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by tpia5: 4:43am On Jun 04, 2011
lakal:

Winch ke, are you alright? Do you know me from somewhere? Cause I sure don't know you. Instead of educating yourself, you are throwing insults.

Please, only respond with salient points, not ad hominem attacks. O se

i watched the video the first time, and what exactly is your point?

an AA woman is discussing tattoos and tribal marks with a Hot yoruba man, and good for you if youtube is your gospel.

we already know what the real deal is there and it certainly aint nothing academic.
Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by lakal(m): 4:44am On Jun 04, 2011
tpia@:

see what you typed in typical s.tupid fashion, and you now want to get a swollen head because you saw a woman:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=3391.msg702197#msg702197

the rest of yoruba no get tribal mark?

you dey craze.

like i said, go through your posts on this thread and identify your ERRORS cos i'm not going to do it for you.

and if i were you, i'd leave the theory to those of us who actually know something, and instead focus on advertising your privates which i'm sure is what brought you to the thread in the first place.

lwkmd!  I see that you are a comedian.  Nice to know that I should not take you seriously.  And here I was, thinking I was talking to a sane person, tongue

1 Like

Re: Considering A Yoruba Tattoo: Ideas? by bayosgirl(f): 5:08am On Jun 04, 2011
^ You just now figured that out? wink

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Salihu Tanko, Emir Of Kagara Is Dead / Ooni Ogunwusi Celebrates 1 Year On Throne. Obasanjo, Soyinka, Igbinedion Attend / Amosun Reconciles Awujale Of Ijebuland And Alake Of Egbaland

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.