Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,370 members, 7,864,704 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 02:38 AM

Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG (38248 Views)

Stolen Artefacts: British Police Hold On To Ife Head Stolen From Nigeria (pic) / Don’t Allow Obaseki Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts, Oba Of Benin Urges FG / Edo Crisis: Allow Obaseki Rule For 8 Years , Idahosa Tells Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 10, 2021
badoh:

Oga forget that. If the Oba is dethroned, will you volunteer yourself to go out and protest? As sensitive as Kano is, was the Emir not dethroned? Even during Abacha era, did he not dethrone an Emir? If the Oba is dethrone today, bros nothing go happen.
Where the detroning from wan start

Even if obaseki has 7 days to spend in office and do as he likes he still can't dare it

Tomorrow obaseki would be on his knees paying solidarity as usual

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by nameo: 11:15am On Jul 10, 2021
badoh:

Oga forget that. If the Oba is dethroned, will you volunteer yourself to go out and protest? As sensitive as Kano is, was the Emir not dethroned? Even during Abacha era, did he not dethrone an Emir? If the Oba is dethrone today, bros nothing go happen.

My brother, you do not know Benin then.

What you are saying is just unthinkable to those of us from this side or who know the side.

The only way an Oba can be deposed is if he committed or is caught in a terrible act like say stealing(which is also unimaginable). That is one of tbe reasons the Obas have always been very Dignified.

The Oba of Benin is NOT the Emir of Kano. Please believe that and know peace.

On the matter, the art works should go to the Oba palace, to be held in trust for the benin people. However, they should not be the only body in total control of them. I think there is a public interests as to whether these works will be accessible to the public or scholars around the world and whether the larger society will benefit from the expected huge profits from tourists who would trope Benin to see these incredible works.

That "public interest" is very valid. And the Obas Palace will do well to take that into cognizance.

A joint custody of the works, but with the ownership been with the Oba(on behalf of the Benin people) should be worked out. That is the reasonable and pragmatic thing to do.

Oba gha to kpe eh

4 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by middlebelter(m): 11:16am On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
Obaseki should put the Oba in his place and even dethrone him of need be. How dare he challenge the decision of a popular elected state governor? No monarch can be bigger than an elected government. He needs to be shown who is in charge.

Are you joking?

This is not Sanusi Lamido Sanusi you know? There has been history of the Obaseki's progenitor fighting the monarch and history appears about to repeat itself.

Let's watch if Godwin will be lucky this time around as against Adams. I doubt it anyway.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by IMPARTIAL: 11:21am On Jul 10, 2021
Obaseki should tread carefully. He should sit with the Oba and resolve the issue. All I know is that traditional rulership in the north is different from that of the south. If there is war between Obaseki and the Oba, certainly in the long run, Obaseki will be brutalized. Sanusi emirship is different from Ewaure's obaship. The Benin monarch is a strongly established institution. Obaseki beware!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by blaqoracle: 11:23am On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
you are not from edo yet you are foaming in the mouth when you don't know tradition
since their supleme leader was arrested, these wailers from the East are full of sorrow and bitterness.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by hollywater: 11:33am On Jul 10, 2021
Greedy Oba. The things German government are returning,was kept since years in the König palace or in government care? I know know why we Nigerians are this greedy.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by macAB: 11:33am On Jul 10, 2021
[quote author=nameo post=103558582]

My brother, you do not know Benin then.

What you are saying is just unthinkable to those of us from this side or who know the side.

The only way an Oba can be deposed is if he committed or is caught in a terrible act like say stealing(which is also unimaginable). That is one of tbe reasons the Obas have always been very Dignified.

The Oba of Benin is NOT the Emir of Kano. Please believe that and know peace.

On the matter, the art works should go to the Oba palace, to be held in trust for the benin people. However, they should not be the only body in total control of them. I think there is a public interests as to whether these works will be accessible to the public or scholars around the world and whether the larger society will benefit from the expected huge profits from tourists who would trope Benin to see these incredible works.

That "public interest" is very valid. And the Obas Palace will do well to take that into cognizance.

A joint custody of the works, but with the ownership been with the Oba(on behalf of the Benin people) should be worked out. That is the reasonable and pragmatic thing to do.

Oba gha to kpe eh[/Sorry the oba is rather under the local govt chairman of Benin and not the governor. Pls its very simple to change him even the sultan was disgraced]
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 11:34am On Jul 10, 2021
Sammy07:

The Oba doesn't have the right to tell the government where the artefacts should be put to
the Oba is the custodian of Benin culture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by otokx(m): 11:41am On Jul 10, 2021
Why are some Nigerians like this?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Unibener: 11:47am On Jul 10, 2021
[quote author=macAB post=103559092][/quote]
Do You know that if You say this in Benin, the chances of you walking again is nearly 0%.

Now You Know ✌️

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
Obaseki should put the Oba in his place and even dethrone him of need be. How dare he challenge the decision of a popular elected state governor? No monarch can be bigger than an elected government. He needs to be shown who is in charge.

Go and help him dethrone the Oba na!

Mumu talk

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 11:49am On Jul 10, 2021
AGNESikpuNNU:
Sanusi treatment loading in edo undecided

It can't happen. This is Benin, not Kano!

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 10, 2021
temitope27:
what is tradition? are the government not part of the tradition?

Stop constituting a nuisance and displaying Ignorance here!

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by murphyibiam15(m): 11:52am On Jul 10, 2021
BosseJ:
The state government needs to handle the issue with care. The Benin monarchy is an institution that predates any Edo state government. Obaseki (or any governor for that matter) will come and go, but the monarchy will outlive any governor.
Predates kor predator ni, things have changed, afterall Rome used to be word power but today is USA, so the edo government have the absolute right to determine where it should be kept, every other thing na nonsense cool
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by murphyibiam15(m): 11:54am On Jul 10, 2021
DeFuturePresido:
The crux of the disagreement is this: Who should rightfully take custody of these artefacts? To answer the question, let us take two approaches:

1. Who was the original owner of these artefacts, and who, today, physically embodies that person?

2. Who has the greatest capacity to preserve these artefacts for the greater good of the largest number of people and for posterity? Is it
A. The Benin Royal Palace,
B. A privately managed Museum Trust,
C. The Edo State Government or
D. The Federal Government of Nigeria?

ANSWERS
1. The rightful original "owner" or custodian was Oba Ovonramwen Nogbaisi, who was deposed during the British "punitive expedition" of 9 - 17 Feb 1897, which was led by Rear-Admiral Harry Rawson, and which led to sacking of the Benin empire.

The person that, today, physically embodies Oba Ovonramwen is (unequivocally) the current ruler of Benin Kingdom, Oba Eheneden Erediauwa Ewuare II.

2. The answer to who can best manage the artifacts, unfortunately, is not straight forward. Technically, it should be the Federal or State government. However, you only need to pay a visit to Federal and State museums, libraries, or monuments across the country to understand that good management and maintenance is not a strong point of government in these parts.

That leaves us with The Royal Palace or The Private Trust.

My inclination is to suggest a merger of the two options:

A. The museum/cultural district should be built in the location chosen by the Oba of Benin.
B. The museum/cultural district should be managed by the Private Trust.
C. Oba Ewuare II should be made the Chairman of the Trust.
D. The CEO of the Trust should be a thoroughly seasoned professional and should be chosen via a merit-based selection process.
E. Members of the Trust Board should be drawn equally from nominees provided by the Benin Palace, the State Government, the Trust's Directors and the Federal Government.
F. All decisions should be made via simple majority votes.

I believe that this option will resolve the issue and provide the best solution.
Things have changed, why Oba of Benin no go collect am grin cheesy
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by angelfallz(m): 11:54am On Jul 10, 2021
Oga let me ask you, are you from Benin? If no. Let me ask again, do you have friends that are from Benin, that is the Bini people? please ask them if Obaseki or even Buhari can play around with the Oba of Benin stool.

Kano is not Benin.

badoh:

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by generalwo(m): 11:55am On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
You hear them saying governor should put oba in his place because he is elected by the people

Before this oba came on board their used to be serious land issue crisis where one man buys land and the community who sold it would come and displace him or keep extorting him with various youths aka omo Nile

Government couldn't solve it, it was rocket science to them despite all the power and enforcement agencies but it was this oba with one statement that put an end to it (yet he is supposedly powerless)

Even Lagos government can't effectively check omo Nile let as oba of Benin did
.... I tell u bros..... I just dey look them dey laugh. . Some even dey suggest make obaseki dethrone oba..... Lol..... So funny

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Greatzeus(m): 11:56am On Jul 10, 2021
The western world where the first yahoo guys. Imagine exchanging Africans for a mirror or an umbrella, isn't that scam?

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Walkee: 11:59am On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
Oba of Benin is not even a real monarch in Edo. A Yoruba man masquerading as Edo trying to dictate what happens here cry
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by sam2kenny: 12:02pm On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:

You think the oba of benin is like other obas? Let him try it then his name will remain seki.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2021
temitope27:
what is tradition? are the government not part of the tradition?

Coming from someone where their obas are handpicked by their state governors.

I don't expect you to understand that the Benins practices true monarchy and the Oba of Benin is the only first class king in this country that is not "selected". The first son takes over when his father dies. Period! If it was that easy, Obaseki would have dethroned the Oba of Benin even before his re-election.

The Benin monarchy has outlived many stubborn governors and influencial people. It outlived former governor Lucky igbinedion and his father (Gabriel Osawaru igbinedion) inspite of their excesses at a certain point on time and it will outlive Governor Obaseki and it's government!

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Walkee: 12:03pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
you are just displaying gross ignorance

In the binin tradition the place is distinct from the government the exact reason why governor can't select a new oba nor sack him

The government can only co-ordinate tradition on the advice of the palace

Artifacts stolen from the palace are more or less cultural attributes of the palace which holds trust of the culture of the bini people

You are Yoruba where your kings are picked and sustained through government dice so i don't expect you to get it

Government can only be doing private museum with it if the palace doesn't consider them to be too much of importance to them
Except the Oba too is also a Yorobaman
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:

Coming from someone where their obas are handpicked by their state governors. Go and help him put the Oba in his place, clown! grin

I don't expect you to understand that the Benins practices true monarchy and the Oba of Benin is the only first class king in this country that is not "selected". The first son takes over when his father dies. Period! If it was that easy, Obaseki would have dethroned the Oba of Benin even before his re-election.

The Benin monarchy has outlived many stubborn governors and influencial people. It outlived former governor Lucky igbinedion and his father (Gabriel Osawaru igbinedion) inspite of their excesses at a certain point on time and it will outlive Governor Obaseki and it's government!

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 12:06pm On Jul 10, 2021
AGNESikpuNNU:
Sanusi treatment loading in edo undecided

E no fit happen. Na Benin! If Obaseki can, he could have dethroned the Oba even before his re-election.

I don't expect you to understand that the Benins practices true monarchy and the Oba of Benin is the only first class king in this country that is not "selected". The first son takes over when his father dies. Period!

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Unibener: 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2021
Walkee:
Oba of Benin is not even a real monarch in Edo. A Yoruba man masquerading as Edo trying to dictate what happens here cry

You just dey talk anyhow. If you are in Benin they for don beat You tire.
I don want the artifacts to go to the palace becos I doubt those guys can maintain it and attract tourists , but I respect the Oba o.
The office is sacred, He is not like that political clown in Lagos.

Now You Know

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Dagrace01(m): 12:08pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
you are just displaying gross ignorance

In the binin tradition the place is distinct from the government the exact reason why governor can't select a new oba nor sack him

The government can only co-ordinate tradition on the advice of the palace

Artifacts stolen from the palace are more or less cultural attributes of the palace which holds trust of the culture of the bini people

You are Yoruba where your kings are picked and sustained through government dice so i don't expect you to get it

Government can only be doing private museum with it if the palace doesn't consider them to be too much of importance to them

You were right until u said Obas in Yorubaland are picked, don't say what u don't know..

In some Yoruba lands there are different royal families that becomes Oba when one dies..
So they rotate it, For example; if the current Ooni of ife dies, the next royal family in line will choose someone through rituals and the new king would be enthroned.
Note: They're all related from the same lineage.

While in other Yoruba lands, it's been the same royal family from inception. So when the Oba dies the Crown prince who is his son will automatically be enthroned..
No one is picking anyone, there's a due process.
#Peace
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Walkee: 12:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
Unibener:

You just dey talk anyhow. If you are in Benin they for don beat You tire.
I don want the artifacts to go to the palace becos I doubt those guys can maintain it and attract tourists , but I respect the Oba o.
The office is sacred, He is not like that political clown in Lagos.

Now You Know
I am from Edo state, uromi to be precise. Who doesn't know that the Oba is a Yoruba? Their forefather Eweka, the son of Oromiynan was what?
All kingship in Edo are purely hereditary. If Anslem dies today his son will be crowned tonight without any a word from any political office holder
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by ALTERNATEID: 12:14pm On Jul 10, 2021
hollywater:
Greedy Oba. The things German government are returning,was kept since years in the König palace or in government care? I know know why we Nigerians are this greedy.

How’s the Oba greedy? The artifacts belongs to the Bini palace and not Edo state government. Was there an Edo state government when the artifacts were stolen? So, why should Edo state government take possession of what belongs to the palace? The pictures below show clearly British officers stealing the artifacts from the burnt Oba of Benin palace and not Edo state government house.

It is even more annoying to know that the governor had incorporated a private (owned by fronts) to build a private museum to warehouse the artifacts. How’s that different from Tinubu establishing Alpha Beta to collect taxes for Lagos state?

So you see, Obaseki is the greedy fellow in this case. He wants to divert what belongs to the palace to his company for personal profit. All right thinking Bini people must stand up against him.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by tishbite41(m): 12:16pm On Jul 10, 2021
kelmicheal:
Oba of Benin can not be dethroned like other region do

He can be suspended sha.

The Obasekis will betray the Royal Family again.

The Oba made a mistake in 2016. He should have supported Ize-Iyamu whose father was loyal to the throne.

3 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Unibener: 12:19pm On Jul 10, 2021
Walkee:
I am from Edo state, uromi to be precise. Who doesn't know that the Oba is a Yoruba? Their forefather Eweka, the son of Oromiynan was what?
All kingship in Edo are purely hereditary. If Anslem dies today his son will be crowned tonight without any a word from any political office holder

I don't care if the Oba has Yoruba traits or not, but he is probably the most influential monarch in Nigeria, along with the Ile-Ife King.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by BluntTheApostle(m): 12:20pm On Jul 10, 2021
Tinubuadvocate:
They should continue fighting there instead of sue Germany to make sure they compensate the government for the use of artsfact since 1897 .

There is no such law that allows you to sue.

You can only campaign for repatriation.

At least, we are lucky that they have agreed to return the artefacts. There are many museums that are protected by Acts that give them the right to keep those artefacts.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by tishbite41(m): 12:22pm On Jul 10, 2021
angelfallz:
Oga let me ask you, are you from Benin? If no. Let me ask again, do you have friends that are from Benin, that is the Bini people? please ask them if Obaseki or even Buhari can play around with the Oba of Benin stool.

Kano is not Benin.

Oga was suspended in1998.

The only thing you can say is that Obaseki cannot replace him while he's alive.

Obaseki can only displace him but not without repercussions.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Explosion in Millennium Plaza in Abuja / Buhari's Administration Wants To Use Me To Arrest Jonathan--tompolo / Stop Criticizing Ex-president Jonathan’s Administration – Rotimi Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.