Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,410 members, 7,864,814 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 07:29 AM

Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG (38251 Views)

Stolen Artefacts: British Police Hold On To Ife Head Stolen From Nigeria (pic) / Don’t Allow Obaseki Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts, Oba Of Benin Urges FG / Edo Crisis: Allow Obaseki Rule For 8 Years , Idahosa Tells Oshiomhole (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Unibener: 12:22pm On Jul 10, 2021
tishbite41:

He can be suspended sha.

The Obasekis will betray the Royal Family again.

The Oba made a mistake in 2016. He should have supported Ize-Iyamu whose father was loyal to the throne.

Then what would have happened if Ize Iyamu still lost.
Chaos, Division and confusion.
Ize Iyamu could have not been able to recover the artifacts anyways sha.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by ajl: 12:23pm On Jul 10, 2021
Sammy07:

The Oba doesn't have the right to tell the government where the artefacts should be put to

Who does the artifacts belong to? Edo State government or the Oba of Benin palace? Who made them? Where were they taken from? They should be returned to the original owner, right back to the place or people that they were stolen from. I don't trust government to take of them.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by lexy2014: 12:24pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
The musuem in Ring road is for government hope you know that

Oba is the custodian of bini culture hope you also know that

m

D same museum u say is for govt also houses artifacts which represent bini culture and heaven hasn't fallen since then. So for d governor & oba to be proposing another museum when there is a functional museum on ground, is beyond comprehension
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Princeps: 12:27pm On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
Obaseki should put the Oba in his place and even dethrone him of need be. How dare he challenge the decision of a popular elected state governor? No monarch can be bigger than an elected government. He needs to be shown who is in charge.
Dethrone the Oba of Benin? You think the Benin or Edo people will accept such rubbish or you think the Edo monarch is like all those banana republic Obas & Emirs all over 9ja who bow down before the altar of 9ja politics? grin
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Princeps: 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
Sammy07:

The Oba doesn't have the right to tell the government where the artefacts should be put to
The artifacts in question were looted by the British from the personal treasure of the Oba of Benin. Do some research on history first before posting uninformed comments online. Go school and take your studies seriously, your type no go gree.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by ALTERNATEID: 12:29pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:
m

D same museum u say is for govt also houses artifacts which represent bini culture and heaven hasn't fallen since then. So for d governor & oba to be proposing another museum when there is a functional museum on ground, is beyond comprehension

The governor is obviously bring greedy. He has incorporated a private company through trusted fronts to build a private museum where the artifacts will be warehoused for private gains.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
Obaseki should put the Oba in his place and even dethrone him of need be. How dare he challenge the decision of a popular elected state governor? No monarch can be bigger than an elected government. He needs to be shown who is in charge.

You think this is Kano? He will go into oblivion.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Princeps: 12:31pm On Jul 10, 2021
temitope27:
shut up how can he do that, is the state property, British museum is own by government my British monarch
Fulani herdsmen/terrorists are invading Yorubaland and messing you people up in your own land. Focus your energy on that battle, leave this matter that does not concern you especially when you have zero background knowledge on it.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by tishbite41(m): 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2021
Unibener:

Then what would have happened if Ize Iyamu still lost.
Chaos, Division and confusion.
Ize Iyamu could have not been able to recover the artifacts anyways sha.
You don't mean it
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 12:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
AGNESikpuNNU:
Sanusi treatment loading in edo undecided
Obas are not chosen or elected here. Its hereditary (Father to first surviving son). The benins respect the oba more than the govt. So obaseki really needs prayers. Else he end up worst than oshiomole
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by hstar: 12:36pm On Jul 10, 2021
post=103554686:
Nigeria must be great in our lifetime.
All of us @ we always stand on the side of the truth.
We will continue to expose all corrupt and looting politicians that are only after their pockets and never care about the masses.

https://fb.watch/6DnuD6W-fl/
TERRORIST

Expose ur yeye darling daddy too

Stop concealing his corrupted attitude that is burning Nigeria down.

All of una be the same thing, whether APC or PDP

But your darling daddy surprised all of us in all evil areas reason why you became a TERRORIST

And created multiple accounts in order to deceive pple
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
you are just displaying gross ignorance

In the binin tradition the place is distinct from the government the exact reason why governor can't select a new oba nor sack him

The government can only co-ordinate tradition on the advice of the palace

Artifacts stolen from the palace are more or less cultural attributes of the palace which holds trust of the culture of the bini people

You are Yoruba where your kings are picked and sustained through government dice so i don't expect you to get it

Government can only be doing private museum with it if the palace doesn't consider them to be too much of importance to them

Educate the ignoramus.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by tonididdy(m): 12:40pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
The oba is perfectly right on this one

Obaseki is probably creating his own private museum to earn him revenue when he leaves office

And should indeed he leaves what then becomes of the artifacts left in the hands of private individuals who the next government may not be in terms with

We know how private firms in deals with government later turn out to be the governor private property after leaving office

It is right they go back to the only unmovable place that all binis can relate to

The oba has put in place the palace trust obaseki should use that

To think that's where they where even stolen from in the first place is not rocket science
You have gone nuts.
A govt property is a govt property, whether the next administration recognises that is his/her business.

The oba palace as long as I'm consigned is a no go area for sightseeing even. I doubt if people are even allowed to take pictures close to the palace, let alone a museum in the palace ground that will be so strictly administered and taking the fun of museum and fun of being around a palace away.

Obaseki is highly supported by edolites to carry on with the planned WA artifact museum, have you seen the 3D demonstration, it's a bliss and perfect for Edo artifacts.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by muskypaulson(m): 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2021
Very educative write up
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by ajl: 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2021
Dagrace01:

You were right until u said Obas in Yorubaland are picked, don't say what u don't know..

In some Yoruba lands there are different royal families that becomes Oba when one dies..
So they rotate it, For example; if the current Ooni of ife dies, the next royal family in line will choose someone through rituals and the new king would be enthroned.
Note: They're all related from the same lineage.

While in other Yoruba lands, it's been the same royal family from inception. So when the Oba dies the Crown prince who is his son will automatically be enthroned..
No one is picking anyone, there's a due process.
#Peace

Don't let us fool ourselves. I am Yoruba too. Back in the days if multiple candidates from the different royal families are vying for the throne, the only way they are selected is by consulting the IFA Oracle. Every palace or town had a royal IFA priest. However these days, it's not certain they follow this model and that's why there is a lot of chaos in the land. Now powerful politicians influence the process to the point that even if the oracle recommends someone, the candidate of the politician is choosen. That's why evil pervades the land. See what happen to the Oba of Lagos. Does that seem like someone selected by the Oracle.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kingrefreshed:

If I am a Governor' in Nigeria. I will be more like Governor Wike. In this situation if I am obaseki I will dethrone him as fast as the speed of light so it will serve as a deterrent to others that might want to emulate him.

Edo is not Kano. Try to understand the peculiarities of traditional leadership systems in various places before making comments. Even the governor will slap you for this advice.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Isusugbaghada: 12:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
Media and their lies all the time

Just write caption to catch the interest of the public

The heading of this thread is a total lie and the Oba never said anything like that

Most fools here comment only after seeing the heading which is a lie

In all the argument of the Oba his main concern is that obaseki is shifting from their earlier plan which was the BENIN MUSEUM and he said his father Oba erediauwa has already map a land for it before his passing

That is why if you watch the video of this thread the Oba said

"If obaseki wake here now I will ask him erhi ma gba ta ra ?( was this the earlier plan)."

Fools here don't understand the obas fight here, he feel obaseki is not carrying the palace along with this issue by trying to create EMOWAA and different trusts but in the real sense those art belong to the palace so obaseki can't do things without the knowledge of the palace

I only laugh when ppo talk about dethronement
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
BanevsJoker:
Obaseki should google Anthony Onyearugbulam.

The ignorant fellows commenting nonsense here don't know anything. We're not hausa fulanis from Kano whose emirs can be sacked and replaced like a political appointee of the governor.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:51pm On Jul 10, 2021
jericco1:
The Oba has bitten more than he can chew.

This was what led Ganduje to disgrace Sanusi!! undecided

Ignorance is bliss for your likes.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:52pm On Jul 10, 2021
AroleOduduwa2:
The Oba want the money generated from the museum, He knows a lot of people will troop in to see the artifacts. It’s all about money and not preservation of heritage

So?
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:53pm On Jul 10, 2021
thundafire:
but government can dethrone the Oba nothing go happen. It was then Oba was powerful and not now. The law recognizes Governor as the the head of government not oba,the Oba can't appoint commissioners or call security heads for meetings

Certainly not the oba of Benin.
Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:56pm On Jul 10, 2021
Judolisco:
local government chairman get power pass oba... I no dey talk about diabolical powers o

Certainly not the oba of Benin.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 12:59pm On Jul 10, 2021
diplomat058:
No, I disagree. Checkout my premises.
1. The Benin monarchy was in charge when the British came to loot.
2.There was no Nigeria. There was no Ẹdo State
3. Now, the artifacts are set to be returned. There is still the Benin Monarchy, and also an Ẹdo State and a Nigeria
4. Within the 124 years of interregnum, the Benin Monarchy has moved from being the absolute Government of the Benin Kingdom to being just a constitutional custodian of Benin cultural heritage within the now democratic governments at state and federal levels.
5. Conclusion: Therefore, the Benin monarchy still remains the legitimate destination of these artifacts, either as the absolute government that it once was or as the principal custodian of Benin cultural heritage that it now is.

True son of Benin kingdom

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by CSTRR: 1:01pm On Jul 10, 2021
AtikuNetwork:
When the British exiled the oba in the 19thcentury, he remained the oba of Benin even in a foreign land.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by GideonVIBES(m): 1:02pm On Jul 10, 2021
Mikecold:
Be realistic Germany has its culture, African has its

The artifacts are of service to the bini kingdom even when they were in the dusty shithole of subshara Africa it doesn't change the fact they were made for their purpose to be of service to the bini culture

They should be returned to fulfil the purpose of their creation

The palace has a trust it has refurbished to keep them safe

Are you even aware of the conditions in the palace today, it can compete with satandard

Toh. As a historian, and an African, I want the artifacts returned - ultimately.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 1:07pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:

There's already a museum in Benin city, very close to d oba palace. What exactly are d oba and obaseki fighting over?

Try visit dat museum. Lol

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 1:09pm On Jul 10, 2021
kingthreat:

Dont say this in Benin. People there dey vex. Dethrone a whole Oba of Benin? No just even whisper am.

Na ignorance dey worry dat one

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 1:10pm On Jul 10, 2021
TheMan3:
you guys have no idea how Benin works

Na ignorance dey worry dat one

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 1:13pm On Jul 10, 2021
Regie2bless:
I'm a bini man, but on this issue I dont support the Oba, first Benin kingdom was invaded in 1897 by the British, no where in history suggests that it is only the palace that was robbed other households in Benin kingdom was also affected by the raid, that means is that is not the Oba property or the Oba claiming ownership of the artifacts. Secondly can the Oba provide the needed security for such Artifacts? Knowing full well that one small piece can amount to millions of naira, can such property be safe in his compound? Queen Elizabeth does not have a museum in her compound. With utmost respect the Oba should allow the government do their job. Tnks.

Was your house robbed in 1897?
Go and read your history books.

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Indispensable85(m): 1:23pm On Jul 10, 2021
My advice to obaseki is for him to apply wisdom by not pushing this beyond this point.
It can consume him if he does.

2 Likes

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jul 10, 2021
tonididdy:

You have gone nuts.
A govt property is a govt property, whether the next administration recognises that is his/her business.

The oba palace as long as I'm consigned is a no go area for sightseeing even. I doubt if people are even allowed to take pictures close to the palace, let alone a museum in the palace ground that will be so strictly administered and taking the fun of museum and fun of being around a palace away.

Obaseki is highly supported by edolites to carry on with the planned WA artifact museum, have you seen the 3D demonstration, it's a bliss and perfect for Edo artifacts.

you are deceiving yourself

The artifacts were created by the iguns under the direction of the palace for the palace

The artifacts owe traditional values to the bini culture, everything is not about been politically or historically correct

They artifacts are traditions to the ancentors of bini, I doubt you see it from that angle, more like taking bini dieties and making a public show of it

If oba feels it's very important he wants it then it's very important as the custodian of the culture, he has provided a museum trust for it as magnanimity is that not enough

He wants it in their natural element domiciled in the palace where it bears root and significance to the bini dieties

The oba has numerous segment and lands in the palace upon which there can be a museum without interfering with the palace sacredness

I am sure you are not even Edo sef if not you would realize that the bini culture is more or less a service to the oba ultimately

So I laugh when people like you talk about bini culture should be given to a governor when even bini tradition says oba owns it all including all lands

I listened to a radio program on ebs (state government radio) the presenter an elderly bini man was calling for those instigating tussle with the oba on his jurisdiction to stop

He said so damming the consequences of been sacked

This is not about politics this is about tradition and obaseki who obviously never lived in binin doesn't know tradition just like he went to a palace without kolanut for prayers

1 Like

Re: Don’t Allow Obaseki Take Custody Of 1,130 Stolen Artefacts - Oba Of Benin To FG by Nobody: 1:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
lexy2014:
m

As oba of bini you can't possibly know the importance of each artifact from the other

What i can say is this oba is one that has chosen to follow traditions to the latter

Where his father might have soft peddled and allow things slip, this one doesn't water anything down

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Falana On Elisha Abbo: Senators Have No Right To Question Abbo Over Assault / Major General VT Okoro Traces Chief Sergeant Major CSM To Ibadan / Avengers’ Threat: Odua Defenders Union Warns Against Attack On Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.