Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,516 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members (8064 Views)

NYSC Presents N26.7m To Families Of Dead Corpers / Tears As Corpses Of Slain ‘corpers’ Leave Bauchi / Family Of Slain Corps Member Rejects N2m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by enomakos(m): 1:00pm On May 11, 2011
5m what the Bleep

they shall have been promise 100m each and the killers arrested and burn
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by ololufemi: 1:03pm On May 11, 2011
Hmmn Sad.

I can see a John Grisham Novel here (class action suit against the government).

It is a pity Chief Gani Fawehinmi is dead. He would have taken this case up and gotten some real compansation from the government in favour of the families.

Imagine a plaintiff asking the judge or jury (in America) to assume the role of the bereaved and were given N5million. I know the yankee judiciary will not spare the government any mercy.

I suggest that the families get together and employ a sound competent lawyer to sue the government (FGN, State Govt, INEC, Nigeria Police, NYSC).

Secondly they should involve the international media eg CNN to focus on the story especially the N5 million (USD33,000) being offered.

Imagine Christian Purfoy announcing to the world via CNN that after the election violence the families of the bereaved were offered N5 million (USD33,000) as compensation for their lost ones.

I am even surprised the legislators have not protested the said amount.

It was the duty of the government to protect them.

Youth Corps members are to be treated as military/para military employees of the Federal Government of Nigeria.

It is also time that the Federal Government of Nigeria cares for its employees and citizens

I am sure a competent court will award them nothing less than USD2 million per corper.

When the government realises the magnitude of the amount it may have to pay, it will be serious about protecting the lives of the youth corpers in the future.

Imagine if this happened in America, the hoodlums would have been fished out.

May Almighty God be with the family of the deceased. He only can see them through their trying moments.

My point is N5 million and job offer is not enough.

Though no amount is enough to compensate them, it should be increased. Also as opposed to giving them job offers, the Federal Government should offer to send at least one of the siblings of the departed to any University of their choice in the World - be it UNILAG, OAU, University of Warwick, Harvard, wherever in the world they want to school as long as they have a secured admission.

Afterall Government officials that do not earn enough to send their kids abroad do so.

Then we know we have a responsive government.

Our dear President Goodluck, please review your compensation package.

We need to get things right in this country. Values are being eroded away.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by vislabraye(m): 1:03pm On May 11, 2011
The federal government should redeem its promises. We all know that no amount of money bcan atone a life but the govt. should do what it is in his power to bring the  hooligans to justice. i think that would go a long way to appease the family.

Let justice be done, blood for blood.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Gbenge77(m): 1:16pm On May 11, 2011
Better than nothing though it cant replace the lives lost.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by MeGaStReEt: 1:37pm On May 11, 2011
agabaI23:

[size=13pt]Those who are saying the amount is small, how much is adequate for a life?[/size]
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Taiwo20(m): 1:43pm On May 11, 2011
hmm, with the level of poverty and unemployment in the land, dont you think some people will be praying for their brothers and sisters to get killed so that they can get automatic employment and 5m.
since employment is now an incentive or what do you think[quote][/quote] One United Nigeria. Dont really think there's something like that. United Nigeria, my fingernail shocked
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Cyborg2011: 1:46pm On May 11, 2011
Taiwo20:

hmm, with the level of poverty and unemployment in the land, dont you think some people will be praying for their brothers and sisters to get killed so that they can get automatic employment and 5m.
since employment is now an incentive or what do you think
One United Nigeria. Dont really think there's something like that. United Nigeria, my fingernail shocked

Why still people making this kind of thinking on earth? How could something wish dead for any member of his family for God seek ? Its quite pity and unfortunate for the government neglecting this function, of course something avoidable and now making bolded talks on compensation , bullshit.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by donfeco1: 1:48pm On May 11, 2011
Taiwo u're right but dats too bad
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by donfeco1: 1:53pm On May 11, 2011
Helo Visabraye justice is of the Lord the Bible says that thou shall not revenge cos is of d lord, leave it 4 God Almighty

Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by donfeco1: 1:54pm On May 11, 2011
Helo Visabraye justice is of the Lord the Bible says that thou shall not revenge cos is of d lord, leave it 4 God Almighty.
buy govt should do there own part .

Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Kx: 1:56pm On May 11, 2011
The taste of justice would have lasted longer than this mearge $33,000.

How much is the presidents daily/weekly food allowance again pls?
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Cyborg2011: 2:00pm On May 11, 2011
Believe it or not, the fact is that no body will be bring to justice in the relation this violence, so many things have be done in north, lacks of jobs, illeteracy, in fact lack of basic aminities with countless jobless youths doing nothing, what do you expect ?

As long as no any serious and tangible progressive action by the politicians to do something to these youths, don't expect anything from them except violence because they know their people betray them, while due to majority of them lack education they don't how to protest without violence.

However, it  very clear that these youths they make their regrettable and henious act without anybody telling to, infact the abuse, burn and kill anyone including the attempt to kill the politicians in their region, these youths needs education and jobs period.

In the case of bringing the culprits to justice ? Really the government should really do something on that, but one thing for sure I know government CAN NEVER succeed is the clear and plain truth that over 1000 of Muslims have been Killed and buried in mass burial in southern Kaduna by organized armed men of CAN. So now who the government will bring to justice? Many questions remain unanswered.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by ypad: 2:26pm On May 11, 2011
The joy of the dead is to bring to judgement the perpetrators of their sudden demise. Lets take a clue from President Obama, he went as far to bring the chief planner of 9/11 to justice, we saw Americans jubilating. President, GEJ what Nigerians are saying is that you should take a bold step and bring to Judgement all the people involve in post election violence.

My President, how 'll you identify and compensate those who are not corp members. who lost their love ones or got injured or lost properties. That is why we have all joined our voice with theirs and cry for Justice, justice, justice,
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 11, 2011
wot iz 5m??

Bt dey*l conveniently spend billionz on a stu.pid project.

I tot dey said d victimz wer fallen heroes

Iz 5m ok 4 d compensation gven to a hero's family??

If gej wantz to do sumtin, let hm do sumtin dat can realy be felt, Maybe 20m,

Nd afta dat, wot happenz to d culpritz

Wot wil then happen to d NYSC review dat we*v bin fighting 4??

Abeg mak una clear road mak i pass jwor!!
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by surveycash(m): 3:25pm On May 11, 2011
Some parents will be wishing now, "How wish that stubborn boy/girl was involved?
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by IYANGBALI: 3:37pm On May 11, 2011
i hope some of them would not starting killing each because of the sharing formula.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by MMM2(m): 3:41pm On May 11, 2011
5 millon what?
what is 5 millon naira do u know how much dey 4 make if dey were alive,
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by donfeco1: 4:38pm On May 11, 2011
M M M u are there 5 milla though i no get, is a small money imagine cooper wey go school graduate wey go get better job, 5 milla na change papa goodluck increase that money to 20 milla, dis country get too much money. na me talkam.
i dey vess my bros or sis no follow but i knw happy 4 dos lost lives i beg increase it

Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by reindeer: 4:43pm On May 11, 2011
This poorly thought out action can elicit an interesting reaction
I think everyone whose child or relative has ever died during the NYSc from non natural causes can bring up a suit against the government and make claims.
If your ward died in a road traffic accident while going to serve or coming back, if they died from a capsized boat in bayelsa or from the last Jos crises, then this gives you a standing to bring up a suit against the FG and make claims for compensation. Same goes for soldiers and policemen who die in the line of duty.
This clueless government must take Nigerians for idiots.It is so bad that they know poverty has eaten peoples minds so much that they will jump for joy at 5million naira blood money from a government that cannot keep them safe.
I sorry sorry for Nigeria, 4 more years of this same lame duck leadership? cry
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by 49cents(m): 4:52pm On May 11, 2011
The death of this corpers is enough to start a sovereign national conference nay a mass revolution, It took the death of one Tunis graduate to turn things irrevocably around but in nigeria a whooping10 are gruesomely killed and nothing happens, Nigerians are pathetic
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by dearzi(f): 5:02pm On May 11, 2011
I sympathise with the family of the bereaved. Such violence should not be taken out on the Nigerian youth, no matter the cause. The gesture is a good one, but how well thought out and its execution remain to be seen. My question is: where is this money coming from? does Nigeria now have an account or something for such causes? I will just like to know. Is this coming from GEJ's personal funds? Will this become the new norm?
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by queensmith: 5:21pm On May 11, 2011
dearzi:

I sympathise with the family of the bereaved. Such violence should not be taken out on the Nigerian youth, no matter the cause. The gesture is a good one, but how well thought out and its execution remain to be seen. My question is: where is this money coming from? does Nigeria now have an account or something for such causes? I will just like to know. Is this coming from GEJ's personal funds? Will this become the new norm?

Ideally there will be a government body that will deal with these kind of cases. Since in Nigeria there is a complete absence of everything it probably doesnt exist thus GEJ pulling random figures out of his arse undecided undecided
It will probably work by checking the levels of incompetency across all agencies that resulted in the incident and then paying the victim accordingly.
Im sure some governments will even take out insurance, but im against that because it will excuse them for not paying attention (unless the insurance companies are very thorough)
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 11, 2011
In as much I have always supported GEJ in most things,I beg to differ on this one.Those corps members families should not be paid less than 40million naira each,their names named after great national monuments.And those who left kids behind supported academically
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by PstGrant: 6:46pm On May 11, 2011
I dont mean to sound harsh but, those who were affected by the violence will be guaranteed immediate employment upon completion of service? So they are the only ones who deserve employment? and the thousands of others who were not injured yet risk their lives everyday to serve their country? Maybe they should have also been part of the violence so that they can also benefit from this employment and be FORTUNATE/LUCKY. I am seriously not moved by this. We need to look at the bigger picture. How about addressing the issue of unemployment?? where will you even give these victims automatic employment?? which office??

[i][/i]I don't think Egba Girl is been fair. Sorry but i think we should give this Govt a chance to perform. There is no way we can all be pleased. We should appreciate what we have even if it's not enough for now. Afterall he's not the one responsible for the moral decadence in the country. We should all join hands together and fight our common enemy and not crucify the innocent man that has just taking over the mantle of leadership. Someone else was calling for the 'spirit' of Gani to come and save the situation by the old 'riot' crusade he gained nothing from. By now we should grow up and know that there's nothing good that can come out of fighting; here we are lamenting the death of 10 corpers, who knows how many have died before now and how many would die if Gani should come and fight the Govt. Give me a break. Let us see what the committee will come up with and then those people CPC tald to go and kill should be nabbed and prosecuted.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by dustydee: 6:55pm On May 11, 2011
small but again it's a compensation. INEC also has a life insurance policy so some of them on INEC's payroll may get something.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by ololufemi: 7:31pm On May 11, 2011
We all know how bad things have become in this country.

A government that has been accused of not implementing the justice Mohammed Uwais Electoral Reforms report totally and sought to only implement a part of it that was felt to be suitable after millions of dollars were pumped to fund the report.

A government that cannot even consider building refineries to augment it's citizen's demand for energy (petrol, kerosene, Jet A fuel) etc.

What has happened to all the white paper/communique or reports on ethnic, religious violence in the country.

They are on the shelves at the Presidency.

What pains me is thinking of the  N70 million that was reported to have been spent on the independence cake and now N50 million is paid to families of 10 youthful, vibrant corpers cut down at such a youthful age.

Bribes to pass PIB bill and other sensitive bills but to review NYSC programme na issue.

Mr President, you no try oh. You for no mention the amount and probably communicated that an undisclosed amount was used to compensate the families.

I know within me that 95% of nairalanders are sure that the culprits will may be brought to book.

We should all remember that future generations will participate in this scheme called NYSC and until it is reviewed, they may suffer the same fate.

The more the years roll by, the worse it becomes.

We need to speak out now.

Person wey no criticise fire service wey come late to the house of him neighbour wey dey burn go know how e dey feel when na him own house.

May the souls of the departed rest in peace.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Lanreseg(m): 8:41pm On May 11, 2011
Silly reward. Cn't there be free education for the families and posibly generation to come
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Koikoi(m): 2:00am On May 12, 2011
thank you mr. president; but i still believe the nysc shd be restructured in such a way that coppers serve only in their geogaphical areas of origin. its sad, very sad when i hear animals killing humans being just for the fun of it. or better still, scrap the damn service. it sucksssssssssssssss
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by THEAMAKA(f): 2:35am On May 12, 2011
the best way to really compensate these families is to bring the culprits and make them face justice. THIS IS NOT FAIR! so these mallams will be free to kill again?
i don't have time to read the whole thread, but does it say anything about catching the culprits and allowing them to face trial?
after all, those almajiris should live by their own law, SHARIA.
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by honeric01(m): 9:00am On May 12, 2011
^^^^

But who are the culprit? to be sincere, it's the GOVERNMENT that's responsible for their death, they are the culprit, it's high-time we channeled our anger towards the right people.

What is the damn job of the government? undecided undecided undecided

Who on earth didn't know there was political instability all over Nigeria before the election? shouldn't a reasonable govt have provided ENOUGH security to volatile areas in the country?
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Estyrhema(f): 10:18am On May 12, 2011
after all this noise abt N5m and immediate jobs for the families of the deceased and injured corp members, they r still going to post intending corp members to states like bauchi, kaduna, kano, plateau and borno and some of these corpers will get killed again after that there will be another promise of N5m and jobs and so on and so forth, BULLSHIT. When will the govt become wiser and stop posting corpers to the north!!! angry angry angry
Re: FG Promises N5m Each To Families Of Slain Corps Members by Seun(m): 10:19am On May 12, 2011
I think corpers need to organize themselves and simply reject such postings. That is all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What State Is The Best To Serve In? / What Have You Achieved After Your NYSC ? / Help Please! Advice For Expatriate Going For Nysc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.