Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:15 AM

Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK (38379 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Found In Kenya, Signalling Abduction By Buhari Re / Sowore Vs Buhari - The Guardian UK Calls Nigeria 'A Climate Of Fear' / Buhari’s Body Double Suspicion That Won’t Go Away - The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Noneroone(m): 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2021
A Biafra separatist leader and UK national was arrested by Nigerian authorities in Kenya and taken to Nigeria in an act of extraordinary rendition, his family and lawyers have claimed.

Nnamdi Kanu, a British-Nigerian citizen, fled Nigeria in 2017 while on bail facing charges of terrorism and incitement. He was arrested last week and brought to Nigeria’s capital, Abuja.

Nigerian authorities have declined to say where he was taken from. The sudden arrest caused widespread surprise in Nigeria, as his whereabouts had been unknown for years.

Kanu, the leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra (Ipob) – a prominent separatist movement proscribed in Nigeria – has long been a widely known and controversial figure in Nigeria. He has called for Biafra independence, including in broadcasts from Radio Biafra – a digital station he founded and ran from his home in south London.

Nnamdi Kanu wearing a Jewish prayer shawl as he left his house in Umuahia, south-east Nigeria, to meet veterans of the Nigerian civil war, in May 2017.

Kanu was first charged in 2015, when Biafra secessionist mass protests erupted in Nigeria for the first time since the Biafra civil war. The conflict is one of the darkest chapters in Nigerian history and the bitter legacy still reverberates in Nigeria.

Kanu’s whereabouts had been unknown since he left Nigeria in 2017, after soldiers attacked his home in Abia state during one of a number of military operations against separatist agitators in the region.

His brother Kingsley Kanu said he had spoken to him while he was in Kenya, days before he went missing in June.

“I spoke to him on the phone, he was well, in Nairobi. His associates said he went out, he didn’t take his documents with him so he wasn’t planning on going anywhere. Then all of a sudden we see him paraded in handcuffs in Abuja,” Kingsley Kanu said.

“It is an extraordinary rendition, aided by Kenyan authorities,” he said.
“It is an outrage that cannot be allowed to happen. We are holding the Nigerian government and Kenyan government responsible. The British government, they know what is happening,” he said, adding that UK officials had made contact with Kanu’s family and legal team and that there were concerns he would be abused in detention.

“I am concerned for his wellbeing because you know how they will treat him,” Kingsley said.

Lawyers for the Kanu family accused the Nigerian government of “state kidnapping” and said he was abducted by Nigerian officials in Kenya and taken to Nigeria against his will.

Evidence seen by the Guardian shows Kanu entered Kenya this year on his British passport on a visa expiring in June. His UK passport remains in Kenya.

Kanu was not in possession of a Nigerian passport, his family said, and he has verbally renounced Nigerian citizenship in broadcasts.

The abduction of a person from a foreign country with the aim of rendition to justice is illegal under international law.

Nigerian and Kenyan authorities have denied that Kenya was involved in the arrest, while the UK consulate in Nigeria has said it contacted Nigeria’s government concerning the case. UK officials did not immediately respond to requests from the Guardian for information.

To Kanu’s many followers he is the most vocal and defiant advocate for Biafran independence. Secessionist protests have been brutally shut down in Nigeria. Yet broadcasts calling for mass uprisings, taunting the president, Muhammadu Buhari, and targeting ethnic groups in Nigeria have drawn the ire of Nigerian authorities.

Nigeria’s attorney general, Abubakar Malami, said on 29 June that Kanu had been extradited to Abuja, after cooperation between Nigerian intelligence services and Interpol.

“He has been brought back to Nigeria in order to continue facing trial after disappearing while on bail,” Malami said. He accused Kanu of “engaging in subversive activities” and of responsibility for rising armed attacks against police and civil authorities in south-east Nigeria that have been blamed on armed separatist groups.

The arrest of Kanu comes amid growing tensions around regional divisions within Nigeria, and armed separatism in the south-east.

Since security forces brutally clamped down on mass protests which began in 2015, armed attacks in the region have grown. More than 150 people were killed at pro-Biafra rallies between August 2015 and August 2016 according to Amnesty International.

The protests were in part a response to the election of President Buhari, who served as a brigade major in the civil war. Millions of people died in the conflict, mostly in south-east Nigeria, from starvation after a government blockade of the region prevented food supplies and humanitarian support.

Last month, Twitter deleted a post by Buhari for violating its rules on abuse, after he referred to the civil war in a threat against armed Biafran groups.

“Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand,” the president said, drawing mass condemnation.

In retaliation the government banned the use of Twitter in Nigeria.

The legacy of the war is still bitter in Nigeria. Authorities censor cultural depictions of the conflict and the war is not taught in most schools.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/09/biafra-separatist-leader-abducted-nigeria-kenya-family-alleges-nnamdi-kanu

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kanu understood what he was doing for a living and the penalty when the enemies of his tribe catch up with him.

This is a tribal war, and he was ready to sacrifice his freedom for. I do not support the death penalty though I know the State sponsored assassins have killed way too many already.

Kanu will have to face the enemies of the Igbo tribe. Whatever the case is, we are living in a simulation. I will prefer to die in Mars than fight for a tribe in a simulated reality.

Fucck tribe. I am sovereign. I can not die for no mor0n, and I can not make the mistake that Jesus Christ made.

17 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by jlinkd78(m): 12:38pm On Jul 10, 2021
While u read take note that this is The Guardian UK and not any other source. Keeping this in mind then re-read again to appreciate how deep in trouble d Nigerian authorities will be in d coming days. This news outlet has been able to put to a summary end d uncertainty of location of abduction. It also foiled Malami account of Kanu being in possession of a Nigerian passport which he went on to state date of issuing, las las Kanu was travelling with a British passport. If u recall the Justice Binta Nyako court was in possession of both his Nigerian and British passports so Nnamdi Kanu being in possession of a subsisting British passport means a lot and that Britain knows he is their citizen being unjustly vilified. Thirdly both d Interpol and d UK authorities Nigerian Govt claimed to be in collaboration have both distanced themselves from this charade. Extraordinary rendition in international politics is a big undemocratic crime and when Kenya is dragged they can't but reveal everything they know about this kidnapping movie
Even Reno Omokiri has come to terms that Nnamdi Kanu must not be taken for granted. See his latest update https://www.facebook.com/111647580740689/posts/303623094876469/ . Take it or leave it d Buhari Presidency knows Mazi Nnamdi Kanu as their tormentor-in-Chief reason I suppose Reno was initially jealous towards Kanu though Reno is d undisputed Table Shaker. I come in peace.

176 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Biafrannuke: 12:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
[s]
Billyonaire666:
Kanu understood what he was doing for a living and the penalty when the enemies of his tribe catch up with him.

This is a tribal war, and he was ready to sacrifice his freedom for. I do not support the death penalty though I know the State sponsored assassins have killed way too many already.

Kanu will have to face the enemies of the Igbo tribe. Whatever the case is, we are living in a simulation. I will prefer to die in Mars than fight for a tribe in a simulated reality.

Fucck tribe. I am sovereign. I can not die for no mor0n, and I can not make the mistake that Jesus Christ made.
[/s] Incoherent!

204 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Jostoman: 1:38pm On Jul 10, 2021
The whole world knows that they kidnap kanu from Kenya.

93 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Monogamy: 1:40pm On Jul 10, 2021
The love of money and the Kenya girls Bakassi led to the arrest of fugitive Kanu.

He has a very long years to spend behind the bar

44 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by jimmyolasun: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
Ok, make Dem keep am because he no go need am again.

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by thatsleepboy1: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by HEAVEN4444: 4:46pm On Jul 10, 2021
they will revoke this mans citizenship. his actions are within the parameters of having your citizenship revoked if you are not a born in england citizen but you are a naturalised citizen, which he is

27 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Kingpele(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Wow though I don't approve of the manner MNK is going about his biafra struggle ..however the swiftness as which he was apprehended have exposed buharia government to be competent when dealing with other tribes but suddenly become weak and clueless when the terrorists involve is from his tribe ..what stop the government from arresting chiefs of bandits ,kidnappers and bokoharam ravaging the north...I wish 2023 will come sooner so that we will get rid of these jokers in the corridor of power

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Franchise21(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
OK

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Amotolongbo(f): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Over the night while I was listening to the Fela’s “Beast of no nation”, it really beat my imagination how Buhari has managed recreating almost everything that happened while he was the military president.
Some worlds he was saying those days, he still says them now, “my people are useless”, “my people are indiscipline”

This Nnamdi Kanu’s abduction is looking like the Umar Dikko affair. Though the latter was lucky, no one knows about the fate of the former for now

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by SpatialKing(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Oh my goodness

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by optimistfeel(m): 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Just let this man free and enjoy his coming to this planet.........if what is agitating for is not granted leave him and let him claim UK as his home as he had already done.........[b][/b]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by bigdammyj: 4:47pm On Jul 10, 2021
Noted
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by humilitypays(m): 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
angry
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by OAedimalo: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
Read

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by BuyAndSellStuff: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
So who's holding it in Kenya?

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by shunletsam(m): 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
While the owner is locked away somewhere in Nigeria, make una continue..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by joe54: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
grin grin grin
The government could have secretly sent him to God but they didn't. He has a very long time in prison. Representing the Igbo race in a bad way. Azikiwe nnamdi will be crying in His grave.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Karlovych: 4:48pm On Jul 10, 2021
embarassed embarassed embarassed May fire and brimstone fall on BMC zombies

33 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
A
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by NigeriaZoo: 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
The so called intelligent DSS has left a crime trail that will come back to haunt them and put an end to the terrorist regime of Buhari. The Nigerian and Kenyan governments are in big big trouble. All the boastings of Malami and Liar Muhammad will turn to tears and regret.

55 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Offpoint1: 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
If you have digital skills and want to make more clients, kindly send me a WhatsApp message via the number on signature.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Pavore9: 4:49pm On Jul 10, 2021
Kenya immigration may likely be in possession of it.
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Kinematics: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
jimmyolasun:
Ok, make Dem keep am because he no go need am again.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by IgweOfNnewi: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
Ok
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by BigSarah(f): 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
Excess talk, July 26 is what matters

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by Futurecrypto1: 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
Re: Nnamdi Kanu’s British Passport Is In Kenya - The Guardian UK by jlinkd78(m): 4:50pm On Jul 10, 2021
N

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

We Have Left Everything To God - Deborah Yakubu's Parents / 'Why Nigeria’s Oil Belongs To The North' - Dr. Usman Bugaje / Fayose Thanks Platoon With N100K For Cooking Food For Him In NYSC Camp. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.