Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,089 members, 7,811,057 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:50 PM

'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest (14834 Views)

Anambra Election: DSS Warns Against Media Sensationalism, Silent On Today Attack / NBC Query To Channels TV: Yakassai Urges NUJ, NGE To Speak Out / NGE Demands Revocation Of Suspension Order Of DAAR Licences (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Nobody: 2:05pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:
The media needs to be gagged for peace to reign in Nigeria, those who keep criticising the government are enemies of the state who must be dealt with.

Buhari has done a perfect job, anyone who says otherwise is an ingrate, a buffon or another lazy bastard southern youth.

Ok. We've heard you. Now, go on top of that shelf and pick your medication. I've just been informed you skipped your dosages in the past 4 days.

3 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by AfroKnight: 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2021
They better go to court to challenge this and come out to protest.

When they complied with the illegal Twitter ban, it’s like they didn’t know their turn was coming.

Come out and protest then drag this government to court and publicise the case. You have to embarrass this government before they will listen.

2 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Adakintroy: 2:08pm On Jul 12, 2021
Prophet Jonathan warned you..but you slept off.

2 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Uchesis: 2:16pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:
The media needs to be gagged for peace to reign in Nigeria, those who keep criticising the government are enemies of the state who must be dealt with.

Buhari has done a perfect job, anyone who says otherwise is an ingrate, a buffon or another lazy bastard southern youth.
...but how long have u been this foolish?

2 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by authority2006(m): 2:18pm On Jul 12, 2021
optionalY09:
They are the problem, with their culture of taking kickback to publish untrue stories. It’s irrelevant for them to continue existing except they’ll change their cultures of laziness, corruption and deception

Thanks my man. If you want to tarnish anyone's name in Nigeria, just give money to an average Nigerian journalist (brown envelope), they will do the job without thinking twice. Anything goes

1 Like

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by DissTroy(m): 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2021
J2381:
Well I'm not surprise. I've always known government, not just Nigeria but Africa at large don't like press freedom. It's one truth that has been staring at us right in the face.

Nobody in power likes press freedom. They don't like the scrutiny. Not even celebrities like press freedom. Whether in Africa, Asia, Europe or America.

That's why strong systems are put in place to ensure those in power can't tamper with freedoms at will and without legal course without personal cost to them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by chukswag(m): 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:

which peace? Does peace mean trying hard to stop a motion of regional self rule? Staying in a country ruled by illiterate parasitic nepotic religious fanatics in the 21st century is choking

3 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by wpadmin: 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
Never again should power go to the north until this country is restructured

1 Like

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by optionalY09: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
authority2006:

Thanks my man. If you want to tarnish anyone's name in Nigeria, just give money to an average Nigerian journalist (brown envelope), they will do the job without thinking twice. Anything goes

They are that cheap and useless they played vital role in the deplorable condition of the Nigerian state. They are just like prostitutes. easily compromised
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by matcom123: 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2021
The real terrorist now have their head office in Aso rock. APC. I hail thee.

2 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by optionalY09: 2:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
Thisis2raw:
you said laziness. Please what do you do for a living Jacky?

I break granites, does that make you feel better. Cheap untrained journalists
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Litmus: 2:38pm On Jul 12, 2021
Media Bill is necessary since Nigeria’s information space is bloated with lies. And Nigeria News Papers anti-anti media bill stance isn’t convincing when scrutinised. This is why: before the information revolution, when Nigerians relied on newspaper stands, Nigerians were pretty critical of their broadsheets and tabloids, labelling them either Godfathers of political party mouth pieces. Indeed, Al jazeera, CNN, BBC and other Western media organisations have many times dismissed Nigeria News Papers as Political Party mouth pieces, crushing my boasts that Nigeria is home to some of the developing world’s most vibrant free press spaces. How or when the tabloids morphed into Free Press deserving of backing in their stance against politically motivated censorship, is eyebrow rising.

We are all rightly weary of censorships but existential threat posed to Nigeria by unregulated media – either by the media or government – I believe warrants it. The Bill is to me as if an emergency measure to safe guard the State. Someone on Niraland or perhaps I saw this on one of the Nigeria Televised news Youtube pages, made the point worth reiterating and that was, ‘finally, we need a Nation (existing) in which to debate or fight for improved freedoms.
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by mindtricks: 3:04pm On Jul 12, 2021
The reign of terror!
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by mindtricks: 3:07pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:

Typical lies of the criminal-intent g.ovt.

2 Likes

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by orikoku: 3:29pm On Jul 12, 2021
More members to join nairaland.
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Thisis2raw(m): 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2021
optionalY09:

I break granites, does that make you feel better. Cheap untrained journalists
trained granite breaker
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by StaffofOrayan(m): 3:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
Litmus:
Media Bill is necessary since Nigeria’s information space is bloated with lies. And Nigeria News Papers anti-anti media bill stance isn’t convincing when scrutinised. This is why: before the information revolution, when Nigerians relied on newspaper stands, Nigerians were pretty critical of their broadsheets and tabloids, labelling them either Godfathers of political party mouth pieces. Indeed, Al jazeera, CNN, BBC and other Western media organisations have many times dismissed Nigeria News Papers as Political Party mouth pieces, crushing my boasts that Nigeria is home to some of the developing world’s most vibrant free press spaces. How or when the tabloids morphed into Free Press deserving of backing in their stance against politically motivated censorship, is eyebrow rising.

We are all rightly weary of censorships but existential threat posed to Nigeria by unregulated media – either by the media or government – I believe warrants it. The Bill is to me as if an emergency measure to safe guard the State. Someone on Niraland or perhaps I saw this on one of the Nigeria Televised news Youtube pages, made the point worth reiterating and that was, ‘finally, we need a Nation (existing) in which to debate or fight for improved freedoms.

When are you going to start demanding for jobs and security, an end to banditry and kidnappings, you know, things that really matter, instead of supporting being gagged

1 Like

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by UnabashedIPOB: 4:04pm On Jul 12, 2021
According to the groups, the Nigerian government and the various lawmakers want to use the bills to cage media practice in the country, and control the access and level of information made available to Nigerians.

The so called Journalists in Nigeria are part of the problem. The media houses are working in tandem with the government against true journalistic ethos and they have kowtowed and espoused the Government's FALSE narratives on every issue of importance to the citizens. This brand of "brown envelope" journalism has given the government the impetus to keep abridging and curtailing PRESS FREEDOM and citizens' rights to know. It goes without saying, "When you lay with dogs, you're bound to catch fleas." It's sad to watch these M0R0NS that claim to be journalists especially on ChannelsTV kiss the asses of government officials to the point that it makes you wanna puke.

1 Like

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Timmi: 5:32pm On Jul 12, 2021
Thisis2raw:
What Buhari can not destroy, doesn't exist

Did you understand what is going on at all. And that it has absolutely nothing to do with Buhari but everything to do with the people you elected into the National Assembly? Please exercise your God given brain and mind for once.
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Gfskw: 5:59pm On Jul 12, 2021
Oh
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by lexy2014: 6:01pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:

What is d perfect job buhari has done?
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by lexy2014: 6:03pm On Jul 12, 2021
Litmus:
Media Bill is necessary since Nigeria’s information space is bloated with lies.

Who is telling d lies?
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Cnach: 6:27pm On Jul 12, 2021
November1857:
Is GEJ a prophet
They already knew about the useless man during his first time. My people said that it was as if heaven is going to fall, as in everything turned upside down. But the evil people who don't care about Nigerians still brought him to kill people's dream. Very useless
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Cnach: 6:31pm On Jul 12, 2021
Timmi:

Did you understand what is going on at all. And that it has absolutely nothing to do with Buhari but everything to do with the people you elected into the National Assembly? Please exercise your God given brain and mind for once.
U know nothing
Every bill u see from NASS that Nigerians stand against is personally from the executive and buhari as the core head. He knew he is useless but he doesn't want anybody to tell him how useless he is.
Listen, me I stand with anybody who criticise buhari bc those are people that love Nigeria.
He should check the prices of items before his emergency and now

1 Like

Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Pheeyistringz: 6:41pm On Jul 12, 2021
There is nothing we haven't witness during this buhari regime
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Litmus: 6:57pm On Jul 12, 2021
lexy2014:

Who is telling d lies?

This question is like me asking you who is telling the truth.
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by lexy2014: 7:10pm On Jul 12, 2021
Litmus:

This question is like me asking you who is telling the truth.

I didn't tell u anyone is telling d truth so feel free to ask what u want to ask. U are d one making allegations as seen below:

"Media Bill is necessary since Nigeria’s information space is bloated with lies".

So who is telling d lies?
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by Ishilove: 7:11pm On Jul 12, 2021
Ha! I raf out roud
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by clothingonline(m): 7:13pm On Jul 12, 2021
When Bill was on 1st reading they didn’t come out
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by KRSWon: 8:06pm On Jul 12, 2021
Splitmind:

Can you you point out in particular which specific areas Buhari has done a "perfect job" in?

Are the Chandler Institute of Governance ”lazy bastard southern youth"?

Nigeria ranked third-worst nation in new global good governance index
https://m.guardian.ng/news/nigeria-ranked-third-worst-nation-in-new-global-good-governance-index/
Re: 'Information Blackout' Against Media Bills: Newspapers, NUJ, NGE, NPAN Protest by atiku07(m): 8:19pm On Jul 12, 2021
A leopard will never change its skin!
Buhari will always be Buhari it is well
A remanence of the infamous decree 101 of 1984. U all hang on and survive any which way u deemed fit just 2 years more we shall be free.

This is a very big lesson to everyone of us "once a thief will always be a thief" once a dictator will forever remain one.

Good luck as we survive this.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Appeal Judgement: We’ll Still Beat You At Supreme Court – Ganduje Tells Yusuf / Boko Haram Abducted Girls In Fresh Chibok Attack, Says Resident / Atiku Group Begins Enlightenment Campaign In Sokoto, Kebbi, Zamfara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.