Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,501 members, 7,819,818 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation (12380 Views)

Calling Buhari Major General Is Abuse Of Press Freedom - Lai Mohammed / Gbajabiamila: I’ll Not Be Party To Any Press Gagging Bill / Rivers Bye-Election: Returning Officer Declares APC Winner, INEC Suspends It (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Seun(m): 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2021
According to the Nation Online, Hon. Olusegun Odebunmi from Oyo State, who recently introduced a bill to control the press in Nigeria, has suspended the bill temporarily to allow for consultation for 3, 4 or 5 weeks, after which he will bring it back and try to get it passed again.

The lawmaker representing Ogo Oluwa/Surulere Federal Constituency in Oyo State, Olusegun Odebunmi, who sponsored the bills for amendments of laws establishing the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and the Nigeria Press Council (NPC), has stated the legislative process on the bills has been suspended for further consultations.

He spoke following widespread protests by the print media against the media regulation bill being debated at the House of Representatives.

Personally, I’m suspending the process for more consultation,” he stated.“What I’m saying is that the NUJ cannot gag the activities of the national assembly by saying ‘No you must drop it’, because obviously, that is not the way.

We have suspended the process for more consultation to happen on it. They demanded for a lot of time and I said ‘no problem, we have given you; even if you spend three, four to five weeks.

So far, more consultations from critical stakeholders, and many people have been submitting their memoranda to the national assembly even within the industry.

“My intention is not to gag the press and unless all the practitioners can say all is well with the industry, to the best of my knowledge I know all is not well. And I know the National Assembly has the power to look into the existing act.

“All is not well with the NPC agency. It is an agency of government and you’re expecting something to be given back to the society but until now nothing has been coming from the agency.”
https://thenationonlineng.net/sponsor-suspends-process-on-nbc-npc-amendment-bills/

What do you think? Is the suspension necessary? Should Hon Odebunmi bring back the bill after 5 weeks, or should he drop it completely?

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Monogamy: 4:04pm On Jul 13, 2021
shocked

Something he should have done before proposing the bill..

Cart before the horse

I really don't see the necessity for the bill.. It should be dropped. We have other pressing issues to deal with than this.

11 Likes

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by CodeTemplar: 4:07pm On Jul 13, 2021
What are they afraid of? No reason is justifiable for that bill.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Aufbauh(m): 4:11pm On Jul 13, 2021
Better. I watched him on Sunrise daily of the channels TV this morning and, he was battling trying fruitlessly to elaborate on the bill.

It's obvious someone push the bill through him cus he seems not to even understand the content of it.

115 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by kayuseful: 4:12pm On Jul 13, 2021
The bill should never see the light of the day please. Buried forever

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Aduroja123(m): 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
Seun:
According to the Nation Online, Hon. Olusegun Odebunmi from Oyo State, who recently sponsored a bill to control the press in Nigeria, has suspended the bill temporarily to allow for consultation for 3, 4 or 5 weeks, after which he will bring it back and try to get it passed again.

https://thenationonlineng.net/sponsor-suspends-process-on-nbc-npc-amendment-bills/

What do you think? Is the suspension necessary? Should Hon Odebunmi bring back the bill after 5 weeks, or should he drop it completely?

Lori iro

1 Like

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Kingrefreshed: 4:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
Seun:
According to the Nation Online, Hon. Olusegun Odebunmi from Oyo State, who recently sponsored a bill to control the press in Nigeria, has suspended the bill temporarily to allow for consultation for 3, 4 or 5 weeks, after which he will bring it back and try to get it passed again.

Mad people everywhere! Looking like a bag of Expired Cameroon beans

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by thaoriginator: 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2021
Me bloodcaati
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Dailymice: 4:16pm On Jul 13, 2021
sad
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jul 13, 2021
Kolewerk.
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by STEWpid(f): 4:18pm On Jul 13, 2021
Sabo of the South West.

Dem threaten you with bandits to go sponsor a bill, knowing fully well how fragile Nigeria is currently dangling on religious and tribal issues and you did.

Na stone dem go take design you.

Oponu, see as him dey look like ode.

Modified:
I dedicate this front page to Nairalanders.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by GboyegaD(m): 4:18pm On Jul 13, 2021
How did it come about such a silly bill? Important issues in his constituents are not his concerns rather his priority is to suppress the polity.

6 Likes

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Isaacmacdon(m): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
This bill is a precursor to a hidden agenda being propagated by this useless government. Just take a look at the tone Mr senator is using.

He speaks like nobody can do anything about it. No, the NUJ should siddon and look like a slowpoke while you gag freedom of expression. undecided

These sect or cabal is trying very hard to lay foundations for their grand plan. It was first the NGO bill, then Social media bill. There's also the riot act that aims to stop any form of public protest.

And to think the southern leaders and politicians are also doing the bidding of these cabal, is even more shameless than you think.

Nigerians, your freedom is at stake. If they gag the media, they've gagged the whole populace.

Else, if this continues, disintegration is imminent. Wanna know the consequences of that?

Go back to 1967. sad

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Foolishbuhari: 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
This one when even some very notable zombies for the forum dey against am, wahala oh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Decency2020(f): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
Another fool
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by mbahdi(m): 4:19pm On Jul 13, 2021
E shocked
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Nobody: 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2021
Reinaldo:
Kolewerk.

I think people need to start recalling their non-representative representatives.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by Sunnycliff(m): 4:20pm On Jul 13, 2021
Hahaha, as e de hot
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by revived: 4:21pm On Jul 13, 2021
E Dun Be
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by CruseMaster1: 4:21pm On Jul 13, 2021
angry
Re: Olusegun Odebunmi, Sponsor Of Press Gagging Bill, Suspends It For Consultation by adioolayi(m): 4:23pm On Jul 13, 2021
Victory for the Press!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2023 Presidency: Try South-East For 4 Years - Umahi Tells APC / Thugs Vandalise Atiku’s Campaign Office In Gombe, Set PDP Secretariat On Fire / EFCC Grills Emefiele Over Alleged $15b Foreign Debts, New Currency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.