Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,840 members, 7,813,819 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:02 PM

Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom (30934 Views)

IPOB's Statement On Clark Idiotic, Igbo Must Apologize - PANDEF / Why Igbo's Must Ignore The 31st Sit At Home Order. / Orji Kalu: Awolowo Told Me He Did Not Trust Babangida (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by TruthHurts1(m): 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom – Prof Akintoye Recalls Conversation With Awolowo In Video

The President-General of the Ilana Omo Oodua, Emeritus Prof. Banji Akintoye, has disclosed that former Premier of the old Western Nigeria, Chief Obafemi Awolowo, told him in 1984 Yoruba and Igbo people must work together to get freed of slavery in Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I5BIajFMEI

Akintoye said he recalled how Awolowo spoke like a prophet, holding his hands and saying, “Banji, you and Igbo will work together” to bring the desired emancipation.

Professor Akintoye stated these in a video he made on Tuesday, January 15, 2021, obtained by SaharaReporters.

Text of his conversation reads:

“Dele Ogun has a book ‘A Fatherless People,’ and there is a small account of it (that) Zik returning from America in 1932 with highly grown Nigerians of past pan-Africanism, the Black man around the world and so on.

“But, he was vulnerable. He was a poor person and he wasn’t getting the kind of help he deserved. He had applied for jobs at many organizations and agencies in Nigeria, and none had given him a job.

“And when he arrived from London on his way back home, that vulnerability put him in the hands of the colonial authorities. Basically, the British respected the Yoruba, but they didn’t particularly like the kind of Black man the Yoruba were. They didn’t like it, because, by the time they came, the Yoruba were fairly highly educated.

“They had been producing graduates from the mass years of the 1850s and by the time the British began to come into the Yoruba land in the 1880s and 1890s, there were already very many Yoruba graduates in every area of life.

“And when the British finally became the rulers of Nigeria (I’m jumping over a whole lot of things), they didn’t fancy the Yoruba at all. They might be friends with the individual Yoruba people that were educated, who were their friends mostly. But they feared that Yoruba were going to make the profits of colonialism difficult to achieve in Nigeria.

“So, the British didn’t particularly like the Yoruba such that they needed to subdue the interest and influence of the Yoruba people in Nigeria. And according to the account in the book that I have quoted, ‘A Fatherless People’, Mongrel Peller, who was a scholar of the colonial establishment, got hold of Nnamdi Azikwe and took him to meetings with the British colonialists in London.

And finally arranged a meeting between him and a team of people in the colonial office, and what seemed to have happened in those meetings was that the British wanted to construct the Igbo and the Yoruba as an enemy of one another because these were the two most powerful people in Nigeria,” Prof Akintoye narrated.

The Yoruba self-determination agitation leader said Yoruba and Igbo ethnic nationalities had realized that they had been used against each other in the past while adding that the two major tribes in Nigeria had overcome that in this present dispensation.

He further said that the former Prime Minister of Nigeria, Sir Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, after eleven days of Nigeria’s Independence, had said that the North should not allow the South to control Nigeria, saying that Southern Nigeria should be treated as a conquered territory.

Also, Prof Akintoye disclosed that the British colonialists had known that there would be an end to their colonial benefits the day Yoruba and Igbo joined forces.

“If the Yoruba and Igbo collaborated, the British thought that would be the end of all the colonial benefits from their colonial endeavors in Nigeria. And, so (Nnamdi) Azikiwe arrived in Nigeria, the man who left Nigeria with high sounding ideas of the black race, the black man and Pan-Africanism, arrived in Nigeria with not so much of those ideas anymore.

“But as I said, we, the Yoruba and Igbo, have allowed ourselves to be pitched against each other. I don’t want to tell a story. A story I want to tell is the story of the change of the future. We are now at a point in the history of Yoruba and Igbo nations, where a substantial people of Igbo and Yoruba now recognize the following things that we Yoruba and Igbo have allowed ourselves to be used against each other, have now ended up nothing better than slavery in Nigeria.

“They have lost everything and now they are just fumbling around in the hands of people who are dedicated to an idea that they must hold Nigeria, they must rule Nigeria, they must control Nigeria and they must make sure that other peoples in Nigeria do not control the resources of Nigeria.

"That was what Ahmadu Bello said on October 12, that was eleven days after Independence in 1960. ‘The South we’ll treat as conquered territory. We must treat the South as conquered territory and not let them ever rule us and never let them control their own future,” the don added.

In the video interview titled: [b]‘Yoruba and Igbo Conference: Speaking With One Voice,’[/b]the Yoruba leader said the foremost Yoruba nationalist spoke like a prophecy that Igbo and Yoruba must work together.

The Professor said late Chief Awolowo told him about Yoruba and Igbo joining forces to get liberated in 1984 after he (Akintoye) was released from the custody of the security agents ordered by the former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari who is also the current Nigerian President.

“I have participated in discussions around Chief Awolowo as one of the young intellectuals from Ife in which we had very infinitely decided that the road forward either for Yoruba or Igbo was that both of them must learn to work together but nothing had come out of those discussions.

“In May 1984, I was released from detention by the then military ruler, Buhari. Chief Awolowo and I spent a whole day together (and I want everybody to listen to this.) Please, listen to what I want to say because it is a story I need to be telling the Yoruba and Igbo nations and shout it. We spent the whole day talking about Nigeria.

“And it was time for us to go to dinner at about 4:35, and as we stood and went towards the dining table, Chief Awolowo stopped me and held my hand and said, ‘Banji, there’s something more I should not forget to tell you.’ So, I stopped and looked at him, and he said, ‘Banji, you, we Yoruba must find a way to work with Igbo. I say you and Igbo will work together. It’s not a question of must now.’”

“He was now talking as if he was prophesying. He had started by saying you and Igbo must work together, then he upgraded his talk to something like a prophecy, that ‘You and Igbo will work together, and that’s the only way you can be freed in the world. It is the only way we can be freed in the world. It is the only way we can achieve what we deserve in the world. You and Igbo will work together.’ I’m quoting him, ‘I’m not saying it’s going to be easy as much as I can remember, ‘I am not saying it’s going to be easy but I’m saying it will be done.’”

http://saharareporters.com/2021/07/13/yoruba-igbo-must-work-together-freedom-%E2%80%93-prof-akintoye-recalls-conversation-awolowo-video

64 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by MadamVanessa(f): 6:40pm On Jul 13, 2021
True.

The uncircumcised north cannot divide us again.

They're smart enough to shield their own terrorists , defend their own terrorists at any given opportunity.

But the south will spite on people who fight for their emancipation. Tell me any crime committed by MNK and Igboho? Tell me i want to know. But it was so sad to see even our southern brothers rejoice over the kidnapped of MNK and Igboho house raid.

When shekau was killed by Iswap, how many northerners rejoice over shekau's death despite several years of terror unleashed by this shekau on them? Gumi is collecting a huge amount of money to bandits everyday and this fulani government is so happy paying any amount needed by Gumi.

Southern Nigerians should wise up, let's rise and fight this common enemy.

357 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by TruthHurts1(m): 6:41pm On Jul 13, 2021
So the British tried to use Zik to create enmity between Yorubas and Igbos but he refused to allow himself to be their puppet.
The great tragedy of Nigeria is that Awo and Zik were never able to unite their powers.

208 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by FoolaniHellman: 6:57pm On Jul 13, 2021
The main point is Southerners needs to Unite against the Tranny Northerners!

186 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by ShadowCracker(m): 7:12pm On Jul 13, 2021
I am open-minded to anything.

if working with Igbo's will get us Yoruba nation quicker, fine by me.

But they should remeber "No permanent Friends, or Enimies, Just permanent interests".

81 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by Conner44: 7:15pm On Jul 13, 2021
yes oh, southern unity issa goal anytime anyday.

north take note

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by alphaeus212(m): 7:32pm On Jul 13, 2021
THE ONLY SURE FREEDOM WILL COME FROM THE UNITED SOUTH EAST AND SOUTH WEST. WORKING TOGETHER . The greatest fear of the north is a united south.

187 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by complexBoss12: 7:36pm On Jul 13, 2021
Sai Baba... till 2031

the more lifeless rules, the more sense dawns on the south. Or is it??

21 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by MrColdsweat: 7:43pm On Jul 13, 2021
Asgard73:
Any igbo working with Yoruba and screaming southern unity is a huge efulefu..

Yoruba will still apply tufaced diplomacy at anytime convenient for them without looking una side.

It’s all about their interest and will mock you guys just as they’ve been doing

Even the south south is not buying their southern nonsense

Why didn’t he said all this before Kanu was arrested
ShebI yoruba were mocking igbos an IPOB till that morning they came for me IGBOHO

Next Na governors to yarn dust ... followed by southern unity trash

Nothing like southern unity with Yoruba ... infact saying Awolowo held your hand and talk nonsense is an insult to igbos..

Careless humans with their cunning mentality

Aboki shut up

248 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by Igbofirstfarmer: 7:45pm On Jul 13, 2021
Following

1 Like

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by Asgard73: 7:46pm On Jul 13, 2021
MrColdsweat:

Aboki shut up

Dan Bayerebe..

The questions Igbos should be asking Yoruba people singing and screaming southern unity ..

What will southern unity benefits igbos...

Why now .. and even all of sudden .. southern unity

Why is the baba talking now after years.. the man is lying.. he’s just looking for front for emotional blackmail..
Why didn’t Awolowo public announce this..

Awolowo lived his trying fighting to separate igbos from southern minorities..
Yoruba have been doing .. and more before every elections

Today Yoruba people are screaming southern unity and some igbos are falling for this

Are yoruba people united in Yoruba land

How is yoruba Muslim dealing with Yoruba Christians .. in same Yoruba land .. talk more southern unity

Same Yoruba mock igbos on how they can never rule Nigeria .. same Yoruba people are telling us that any southerner that vote for a Northerner is a fool?
Same Yoruba are supporting Tinubu and osibanjo as southernerra

Why cant same Yoruba forget their ambitions and support igbos for presidency since no southerners are forbidden to vote Northerners

Yoruba are stylishly positioning the south to vote Tinubu or osibanjo.. that’s what they call political Sophistication.. same Yoruba will turn to abuse and mock you

There’s no aboki enemy anywhere .. it was same Yoruba that brought Fulani and bandits to Nigeria .. same Yoruba now wan use igbos brain to geh President.. why are they not shouting unity with ijaw a and southern minorities.. because they know say where igbos go are where this people will go..

Igbos should wake up .
Southern unity is Yoruba way of fightin Apc in case they deny Tinubu ticket ..

Na very huge blackmail

43 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by PrinceOfLagos: 7:46pm On Jul 13, 2021
They must not betray themselves

4 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by velocity25(m): 7:50pm On Jul 13, 2021
I totally agree with you Prof but watch how zombies and minions will call for your head.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by Chimaraymond455: 7:59pm On Jul 13, 2021
Nnamdi kanu and igboho is their problem, bokoharam, killer heedsmen, bandit, are not longer problem to the Hausa/Fulani, but nnamdi kanu and igboho becomes the bigger problem to the Hausa/Fulani attache by force, you try everything possible to divide the southerners, but you Hausa/Fulani attach by force don't want hear a name middle bet....All over the world muslims are fighting so hard to be on their own so they can practice their islam because they see other religions as infidels, but here you are fighting day and night to stay with people and religions you tag infidels. you call igbo names, baby factories, criminals, drugs dealers, even the Yoruba Muslims you see them as infidels but pretend to love them, there are many tribes in the north but you Hausa/Fulani have forcefully reduced them to nothing by terrorizing and killing them on a daily basis.just to maintain the 19 northern state.....south wake-up, Hausa/Fulani have sworn to kill anyone who rise from the south to challenge them, or expose them.

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by MrColdsweat: 8:14pm On Jul 13, 2021
Asgard73:

Dan Bayerebe.. Yoruba man. Shut down.

Simplyleoo your aboki stench can be perceived from a thousand miles.

113 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by ChangedMan1999(m): 8:30pm On Jul 13, 2021
Before the two tribes can unite, one needs to leave the 2023 presidential position for the other.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by orunto27: 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2021
SUPPORTED.

2 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by AlexBells(m): 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2021
Yoruba and Igbos are already working together, but there must be limit to that working together, we will not work together with you to fight Fulanis and revert the Afonja mistakes, However we will work with you on political alliances, business, industry and human development

14 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by AGNESikpuNNU(f): 9:09pm On Jul 13, 2021
Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
Why just saying it now

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by design110: 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by oluseyiforjesus(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
Ok
Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by mooremoney(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
This one na lie. We the igbos can't work with the backstabbers and betrayals

5 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by ednut1(m): 9:10pm On Jul 13, 2021
The southern Nigeria is not all about igbo and yoruba na

5 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by NOETHNICITY(m): 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2021
History has it that while people like Awo and Enahoro and even Ahmedu Bello campaigned for the north to go it's way Zik agitated that there must be one indivisible country nigeria

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by fergie001: 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2021
Prof.....My Prof... grin

2 Likes

Re: Akintoye: Awolowo Told Me Yoruba, Igbo Must Work Together For Freedom by mbahdi(m): 9:11pm On Jul 13, 2021
The problem now is there are alot of saboteurs and backstabbers among the two

9 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

God Will Never Forgive Oshiomhole; Man Laments After Failed Edo Project. Photos / Rumbling In APC Over 2023 Presidential Ticket / Unknown Gunmen Attack Ojoto Police Station In Anambra, Kill Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.