Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,443 members, 7,846,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 01:59 AM

Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos (6981 Views)

Shocking Facts!!! See Tribe With The Highest Numbers Of Rich People In Nigeria!! / Tribe With Sizeable Muslims Shouldn't Be Part Of Biafra / Obasanjo: My 2 Parents Are From Abeokuta, I Bear Owu Tribal Marks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Naigleria: 11:02pm On Jul 22, 2021
theTranscriber:
They had tribal marks in the past

They neglected thier culture

Those are people of nri ancestry. Nri is not all of igboland. Ichi marks belongs to people of nri kingdom, and the nri kingdom had a lot of influence over the Benin empire, and it was impossible to find an nri man as a slave to any bini

Anyways, I know that you are an Afonja, so you lack pattern recognition.
If you check closely, the ichi marks appear on the forehead and not the cheek.
Yoruba trouble marks normally appear on the cheek

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Fahdiga(m): 11:06pm On Jul 22, 2021
Lifestone:
I thought it's only Yorubas that has Tribal Marks!
So the Igbo too has Lion marks, lol
Know your history before laughing at others
So you believed this false information from Reno?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 11:09pm On Jul 22, 2021
Naigleria:

Those are people of nri ancestry. Nri is not all of igboland. Ichi marks belongs to people of nri kingdom, and the nri kingdom had a lot of influence over the Benin empire, and it was impossible to find an nri man as a slave to any bini

Is nri Igbo or not?
No dey shift post

I don't see the use of the emboldened
Except you want me to insult your lineage

Cheeks,forehead,back,nose doesn't matter

Tribal marks are tribal marks.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 11:12pm On Jul 22, 2021
Naigleria:

is this forehead?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Naigleria: 11:18pm On Jul 22, 2021
The yorubas that are saying that those are not their tribal marks should contribute deceiving themselves grin

Pic 1 and 2 - Yoruba tribal marks

Pic 3 and 4 - Igbo

1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 11:26pm On Jul 22, 2021
Naigleria:
The yorubas that are saying that those are not their tribal marks should contribute deceiving themselves grin

Pic 1 and 2 - Yoruba tribal marks

Pic 3 and 4 - Igbo
The first one is not yoruba what kinda lie are you trying to lie?

Oya what sub group of Yoruba uses it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Sparkle777(f): 11:38pm On Jul 22, 2021
Igbos barely have tribal marks, what u see then was titled ppl called Ndi Ichie meaning ppl wil marks. They are the Titled men and women of those times. Now Ichies and Ozos don't bother about carving up their faces.
Other marks on ppl are probably ogbanjes and sickly ppl who were marked to protect them from death. Then we also have our own local tattoos mainly for beautification and titles.
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 11:40pm On Jul 22, 2021
Sparkle777:
Igbos barely have tribal marks, what u see then was titled ppl called Ndi Ichie meaning ppl wil marks. They are the Titled men and women of those times. Now Ichies and Ozos don't bother about carving up their faces.
Other marks on ppl are probably ogbanjes and sickly ppl who were marked to protect them from death. Then we also have our own local tattoos mainly for beautification and titles.
cheesygrin
I just love how you guys are desperately trying to shift goal post after ball don enter finish cheesy

Simple grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by momonny: 1:02am On Jul 23, 2021
Equino Olaudua is from umunteke in present day Orlu Imo state.
ChangedMan1999:

I think he was somehow right.
But by Igbo, they( edo and itsekiri) means Delta and Edo States Igbo speaking people.

South east really wasn't aware of the tribes Edo and Itshekiri.

Olaude Equino was from present day Delta or Edo. Reason: he said that his people paid homage to Bini Oba. It is foolish to think that any group across the Niger then could recognise the Oba.

Never never did Nde Bini crossed the Niger river to challenge the then inhabitants of the land.

Again, in good conscience if what Reno said said 100% true, then the two ethnic groups Edo and Itsekiri must be mixed with the Igbo speaking people.

Lastly, Reno should not have said something like this at a time Southern Nigeria wants to unite against Northern Nigeria.

Is it out of jealousy that Obi Cubana an Igbo man is wealthy.

Uwa nka self
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by momonny: 1:03am On Jul 23, 2021
Some part of Nsukka
Lifestone:
I thought it's only Yorubas that has Tribal Marks!
So the Igbo too has Lion marks, lol
Know your history before laughing at others

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Arda1000(m): 5:32am On Jul 23, 2021
Lifestone:

You've drifted again. I said Tribal Marks is part of Igbo and their History, why are you denying that. Or are now in competition with the Yorubas.
It's hypocrisy to laugh at the Yorubas whereas you are into the same practice
dude you don’t even know what a tribal mark stands for,Let me just break it down to your level,Igbo don’t have tribal marks,we do have spiritual marks given to some few people because of circumstance like someone who is suspected to be an ogbanje or ichi mark are just spiritual we are not into scarification ones body,we have many more marks but it’s not something you are forced to do,most of them are being marked when the person have reached adulthood ,and these two marks are pretty much going extinct,I have never heard or seen where we mark for tribal or body beautification which is what tribal marks stands for, my brother who is deaf lives in Lagos(I know American Sign Language but due to,lack of any means in it to describe one’s Ethnicity you have to create one for easy communication) if he wants to describe an Hausa in our conversation he will simply use his finger to draw a line around his chin because that’s where Hausa like marking themselves automatically I know he his referring to Hausa People same applies to Yoruba,he indicates that my drawing a long line across his cheek,so don’t take it personally ok,we don’t have issues with us having a tribal mark in our history but u guys are making it look like a big deal and force it down our throats,both ichi(which I have never seen before) and ogbanje marks bearers are very very small to be considered a tribal mark,you and your stewpid Reno can choke on lies and propaganda

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Arda1000(m): 5:41am On Jul 23, 2021
theTranscriber:

Is nri Igbo or not?
No dey shift post

I don't see the use of the emboldened
Except you want me to insult your lineage

Cheeks,forehead,back,nose doesn't matter

for a mark to be considered a tribal mark it should constitute at least 40 percent of the people,
Now go to Igbo villages(if u want I don’t mind taking you round my village we still have people who are over 80 to 100 years,if you show me one with a tribal mark,all the bill you accumulated here will be on me,but if you don’t want to stress yourself then why don’t you be open minded and ask why you see some old Igbo with facial mark on the internet and let us the Igbo explain,but it’s you Yoruba,Benin and a nonentity like Ishekiri that has now come to teach us our history nawa ooo
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by louqas: 5:53am On Jul 23, 2021
Sparkle777:

Always resist the urge to shalaye

Now i believe HISTORY WAS HIDDEN FROM THE IBOS...by non other than Oby ezekwesili as education minister under Obj

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Lifestone(m): 5:56am On Jul 23, 2021
Arda1000:
dude you don’t even know what a tribal mark stands for,Let me just break it down to your level,Igbo don’t have tribal marks,we do have spiritual marks given to some few people because of circumstance like someone who is suspected to be an ogbanje or ichi mark are just spiritual we are not into scarification ones body,we have many more marks but it’s not something you are forced to do,most of them are being marked when the person have reached adulthood ,and these two marks are pretty much going extinct,I have never heard or seen where we mark for tribal or body beautification which is what tribal marks stands for, my brother who is deaf lives in Lagos(I know American Sign Language but due to,lack of any means in it to describe one’s Ethnicity you have to create one for easy communication) if he wants to describe an Hausa in our conversation he will simply use his finger to draw a line around his chin because that’s where Hausa like marking themselves automatically I know he his referring to Hausa People same applies to Yoruba,he indicates that my drawing a long line across his cheek,so don’t take it personally ok,we don’t have issues with us having a tribal mark in our history but u guys are making it look like a big deal and force it down our throats,both ichi(which I have never seen before) and ogbanje marks bearers are very very small to be considered a tribal mark,you and your stewpid Reno can choke on lies and propaganda
But some other Igbos already confirmed on this thread that Igbos do tribal marks e. g in Nsukka, one even confirmed having.
To me there's nothing to be ashamed of in one's culture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by ChangedMan1999(m): 7:06am On Jul 23, 2021
bomb24:

oga Olaudah equiano was from Igbo land "Anambra" precisely.

go back and read his biography man was specific and he never forgot the customs of Igbo Land.

M.oron is east of the Niger river the whole of Igbo land.

Why are you not suggesting Delta north people and Igbo speaking people of parts of Orhiomwhon LGA of Edo state.

I don't chat with d.ummies like you

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by ChangedMan1999(m): 7:09am On Jul 23, 2021
momonny:
Equino Olaudua is from umunteke in present day Orlu Imo state.

I am sure that you mean Jaja of Opobo by "Orlu"

Common sense is something that you lack.

What business does Orlu have with Bini?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 8:42am On Jul 23, 2021
Arda1000:
for a mark to be considered a tribal mark it should constitute at least 40 percent of the people,
Now go to Igbo villages(if u want I don’t mind taking you round my village we still have people who are over 80 to 100 years,if you show me one with a tribal mark,all the bill you accumulated here will be on me,but if you don’t want to stress yourself then why don’t you be open minded and ask why you see some old Igbo with facial mark on the internet and let us the Igbo explain,but it’s you Yoruba,Benin and a nonentity like Ishekiri that has now come to teach us our history nawa ooo
Lol
I just love how you guys are shitting your pants grin shocked cheesy
The
Igbo people had tribal marks in the past
cry
But neglected the culture of their fore fathers grin cheesy
It's funny how off all the cultures to remove it's marks you focus on
When Osu is still practiced sad
The de inheritance of women is there lipsrsealed
Yet you focus on marks! undecided
Besides the percentage of Yoruba with marks are not up to 40
so does that mean it's not tribal marks? grin
And don't call anyone a nonentity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Christistruth00: 9:38am On Jul 23, 2021
theTranscriber:
They had tribal marks in the past

They neglected thier culture

Do you have Tribal Marks ?
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by theTranscriber: 9:43am On Jul 23, 2021
Christistruth00:

Do you have Tribal Marks ?
no
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by seunmsg(m): 9:50am On Jul 23, 2021
Reno really did Igbos very strong thing. They’ve been opening multiple wailing threads since he made the slavery revelation. Anyway, it’s none of my business. Gambari pa Fulani, kolejo ninu grin grin grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Joromi1: 10:17am On Jul 23, 2021
Mark or no mark, people must have something they identify with. And especially as Africans, we all have our differences as individuals and as tribes. To keep denying your tribal mark is like denying your heritage. Denying that you're from a particular place or tribe or family. Something you ought to proudly flaunt is what you deny. It's a shame.

For instance, look at this beautiful Yoruba model, Adetutu. Well, it's not just about her beauty but her facial marks which she proudly shows off, and in so doing attracted so much media attention that even Rihanna became her fan.

Keep denying yourselves. orififo e ni.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by KosiGee(m): 10:48am On Jul 23, 2021
Arda1000:
dont be ignorant the so called Igbo tribal mark is a false assumption,Igbo have two types of facial marks,Ichi and ogbanje facial marks(now understand this,you don’t get these marks when you are born so it’s not tribal mark,tribal marks is for tribal decor,now ichi mark are meant for people who are dedicated to a god while on the other hand ogbanji marks are for those who are suspected to be a spirit child,in a nutshell these are spiritual marks.

Ichi marks isn’t for people dedicated to any god.
‘Igbu Ichi’ was done by courageous and wealthy men at the time. It was purely a personal decision. It’s more like ichi ozo...not all Ozo title holders went for igbu ichi...I met a few people gbulu ichi as a child.

You’d have to be well prepared for it. If you read F.C. Ogbalu books, he narrated the process of Igbu ichi. It’s a celebration of bravery and accomplishment. On the day, there’s lots of cooking and feast...with different nmanwu. The man is held down by many able bodied men...anaesthesia isn’t used. Onye na egbu ichi comes with his aguba knife and delivers series of vertical lines across the man’s face and series of horizontal lines as well, then herbs are applied to the cuts...look at your periodic table without the symbols. Ichi was like that. Professionals try to avoid the areas around the eyes. Scabs around the canthus causes squints. Normally one or two lines run down the forehead down the nasion and ends on the bridge of the nose...majority of the ichi are done on the sides of the face.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Oksman(m): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2021
Arda1000:
dont be ignorant the so called Igbo tribal mark is a false assumption,Igbo have two types of facial marks,Ichi and ogbanje facial marks(now understand this,you don’t get these marks when you are born so it’s not tribal mark,tribal marks is for tribal decor,now ichi mark are meant for people who are dedicated to a god while on the other hand ogbanji marks are for those who are suspected to be a spirit child,in a nutshell these are spiritual marks.

Wow so educating!
Thanks so much.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by chii8(f): 11:36am On Jul 23, 2021
In Umudioka,Neni- Anambra State, they used to wear tribal mark fondly called igbu ichi.... it's only the strong and might that always have the courage to do so.

Modernization took that culture away but till date, families who had their father,grand father or great grand father are still celebrated today during a particular cultural festival called Nkadioka....The mark is a sign that the person is strong and courageous...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by Arda1000(m): 11:39am On Jul 23, 2021
KosiGee:

‘Igbu Ichi’ was done by courageous and wealthy men at the time. It was purely a personal decision. It’s more like ichi ozo...not all Ozo title holders went for igbu ichi...I met a few people gbulu ichi as a child.

You’d have to be well prepared for it. If you read F.C. Ogbalu books, he narrated the process of Igbu ichi. It’s a celebration of bravery and accomplishment. On the day, there’s lots of cooking and feast...with different nmanwu. The man is held down by many able bodied men...anaesthesia isn’t used. Onye na egbu ichi comes with his aguba knife and delivers series of vertical lines across the man’s face and series of horizontal lines as well, then herbs are applied to the cuts...look at your periodic table without the symbols. Ichi was like that. Professionals try to avoid the areas around the eyes. Scabs around the canthus causes squints. Normally one or two lines run down the forehead down the nasion and ends on the bridge of the nose...majority of the ichi are done on the sides of the face.
yes that’s true
Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by chii8(f): 11:40am On Jul 23, 2021
KosiGee:

You're very correct....

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by laiperi: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2021
This is the height of ignorance if these people actually had secondary or college education. This denial and counter denial about marks, scarification, tattoo and incisions by tribal and ethnic Africans also done throughout the world have been used by some Nigerians to debase one another.

Those who claimed that Africans cannot read or write because they cannot read or write what African writers decorated caves, calabash, human bodies and sculpture with are getting encouragement from African children making fun of one another.

Many of you guys are so sick of yourselves, it is not difficult to understand why you readily sold yourselves into slavery or open your mouth to suck shiit for printed papers. Then beat your chest blue and black.

People whose complex are so deep, they run away from themselves, their villages and point to their homes with African cultural left hand.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by oyatz(m): 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2021
Arda1000:

All these are unnecessary diversion.

Virtually all African tribes including the igbos had tribal marks in the PAST.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by bomb24: 8:28pm On Jul 23, 2021
ChangedMan1999:

M.oron is east of the Niger river the whole of Igbo land.

Why are you not suggesting Delta north people and Igbo speaking people of parts of Orhiomwhon LGA of Edo state.

I don't chat with d.ummies like you

the reason I haven't replied to your imbecilic quote is that I have been occupied all day.

u're a primate still evolving and I'm gonna help u evolve better.

the phrase "East of the niger" when used often refers to the Igbos of the hinterland and not the upland Igbos as u suggested dunderhead.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by momonny: 12:04am On Jul 24, 2021
Jaja is from Nkwere
ChangedMan1999:

1 Like

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by momonny: 12:06am On Jul 24, 2021
Everything because all the present south east were paying taxes to the bini empire
ChangedMan1999:

Re: Igbo Tribe With Tribal Marks - Photos by ChangedMan1999(m): 1:08am On Jul 24, 2021
momonny:
Jaja is from Nkwere

Look at a zombie typing with empty skull

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ondo State: Nigeria Oil Producing State, NO Nigeria project / Judicial Workers Suspend Strike / What Actually Happened At Akiolu’s Palace; Why We Clapped, Laughed – Punch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.