Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,974 members, 7,817,868 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:42 PM

Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test - Sports (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test (36268 Views)

Pogba Tests Positive For Testosterone, Provisionally Suspended, risks 4-year ban / Tobi Amusan Provisionally Suspended For Anti-Doping Violations / Divine Oduduru Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test, Faces 6-Year Ban (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by EMMY76: 2:19pm On Jul 31, 2021
What a shame this is the girl the delta state governor paid millions to prepare her for the Olympic games.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by fredoooooo: 3:12pm On Jul 31, 2021
somehow:
Maybe they are only cunny/dubious but not smart.
Gbamsolutely
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Nobody: 3:50pm On Jul 31, 2021
Kingrefreshed:

Oga I've been following this up. What about the two females athletes disqualified because they're tomboy?

Athletes have never been banned because they are 'tomboy'.

Maybe banned because they are intersex (different matter)

While there are transgender females competing with real females and they allowed them.

Transgender athletes competing is not widely accepted.

There's so much racism in this Olympics

A comment you are making without proof.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by vivavik(f): 5:15pm On Jul 31, 2021
This is ridiculous, ah ah na

They should have known they were going to be subjected to DAT. Nigerians are so unserious sha
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Omoluabi16(m): 6:32pm On Jul 31, 2021
Ishilove:
I don't understand these athletes. So they take these drugs in error or what? Don't they know they will be tested?
I think sometimes its ignorance or sabotage. Some of these so called banned 'substance' na watin we dey consume everyday. At least we heard the case of an athlete failing because of alabukun.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by gaventa: 6:35pm On Jul 31, 2021
You Dey dere?
Beancounter94:

So all this anti-imperialist propaganda because Okagbare did the wrong thing and took drugs?

Look, if you guys want medals in the olympics....go vote for a government that would take sports development seriously.

3 Likes

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Admitwithschola: 7:06pm On Jul 31, 2021
Focusmind:
Nigeria is heading for the worst Olympic games in decades. The only hopeful had just failed a drug test. Nigerian Olympic committee will use this one to taunt and finish her. She has been 'yabbing' and insulting the committee, accusing them of gross incompetence.

Google is your friend - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigeria_at_the_Olympics

2012 we won nothing. It's not new, and 2012 is not even up to one decade ago.

We must improve.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Kingrefreshed: 7:08pm On Jul 31, 2021
Beancounter94:

Athletes have never been banned because they are 'tomboy'.

Maybe banned because they are intersex (different matter)

Transgender athletes competing is not widely accepted.

A comment you are making without proof.

This clearly shows you've not been following the events of this Olympics.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Admitwithschola: 7:14pm On Jul 31, 2021
Beancounter94:

So it is okay for Okagbare to take drugs?

Right.

It's a similar view taken by many African Americans about some strange oppressors trying to kill them or oppress them. While this may be true in some instances, it's weird to blame it for every problem that a black person faces.

Some Nigerians have bought into that. That's the thing you just heard from that guy.

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Admitwithschola: 7:17pm On Jul 31, 2021
Beancounter94:

We won nothing in 2012, and one bronze in 2016.

We also won nothing in 1972, 1980, and 1988. We did not even win in 1952(when we first participated), 1956.

We won one bronze in 1960, 64...and won 2 silver in 1984, three silver and one bronze in 1992, two gold, two silver and one bronze in 1996, one gold and one silver in 2000, and two bronze in 2004, and one bronze in 2008

Well, people who live in glass houses should not throw stones. She willingly took something to enhance her performance.

Good response. I didn't see it before responding. The young or old bros spoke as if we have traditionally always won something in these olympic games. Man - we still have a lot to do, to be able to be winning plenty medals.

I wish more investments can be made into existing sports as well as other new sports, at all levels

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Admitwithschola: 7:19pm On Jul 31, 2021
osuulola:

Athletics - once. Ajunwa's gold is Nigeria's only other gold.

What about our gold in 2000? It was later awarded to us

1 Like

Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Ishilove: 11:34pm On Jul 31, 2021
Omoluabi16:
I think sometimes its ignorance or sabotage. Some of these so called banned 'substance' na watin we dey consume everyday. At least we heard the case of an athlete failing because of alabukun.
When did this happen?
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Nobody: 2:42pm On Aug 01, 2021
Kingrefreshed:

This clearly shows you've not been following the events of this Olympics.

Okay

The two tomboys who were banned were banned because they were intersex.

Intersex conditons can range from hormonal imbalances to ambigious Instruments, internal and external. It is different from transgenders who get operations to change their gender.

The ladies had a genetic condition that made them secrete testosterone a lot. More than the average woman. Semenya had a similar condition and she was clearly a woman...as are those two.

Transgender's can participate if their hormonal levels are at a certain level...which is induced by operations and treatment.

To sum up, the ladies were not banned from the 400m because they were 'tomboy' they were banned because they had a genetic condtion that made them secrete more testosterone than normal in ladies (yes, women produce some testoterone...but it is usually at a ver low level.

(P.S I know something of this stuff...I work in the medical field, and back in university I was given one hellish assignment to write about intersex condtions.)

As for Okagbare...she injected Human growth hormone into her body to give her an advantage. It is sad, but she is not the first athlete to dope and she won't be the last.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Doortun(m): 4:54am On Aug 03, 2021
ThiefOfHearts:

Have the men won anything?

Men's Sport is the real battle ground, not a child's play for women.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Amccc1: 10:53am On Aug 05, 2021
Admitwithschola:

good morning sir, how are you doing sir I hope fine.
Please I hope you still remember me I tried contacting you on email but i didn't understand the response I got. there is a massage I drop there through the email I have been communicating with you
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by otokx(m): 12:58pm On Aug 05, 2021
EMMY76:
What a shame this is the girl the delta state governor paid millions to prepare her for the Olympic games.

It is not by throwing millions, they would have assigned some officials to be checking up on her.
Re: Tokyo2020: Blessing Okagbare Provisionally Suspended For Failed Drug Test by Gerrard59(m): 7:02am On Aug 10, 2021
Admitwithschola:

i

Hello sir,

I sent a mail to the B**m email and received a custom mail. Is there any way I could reach you privately?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs France: (3 - 5) On Pens In U-17 Women's World Cup 4th Oct 2012 / Rohr Set To Quit As Super Eagles Head Coach / Rwandan Striker Removes Charm From Goal Post & He Finally Scores!(Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.