Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman (3297 Views)

Dasukigate: Probe Panel Summons 241 Firms Over Arms Scandal – FULL LIST HERE / Dasuki Lied, Shunned Arms Probe Panel’s Invitation –presidency / Judge Disagrees With Probe Panel Over Aregbesola’s Response (2) (3) (4)

Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by supereagle(m): 2:40am On May 16, 2011
The Christian Association of Nigeria in the 19 Northern states and Abuja on Sunday kicked against the Federal Government’s appointment of an Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmed Lemu, as the chairman of its recently constituted 22-man panel on the post-election violence that occurred in some states in the North over the outcome of the April presidential poll.

The Northern CAN argued that its rejection of Lemu as the chairman of the panel was predicated on the antecedents of the Islamic cleric as well as his perception of the Christian faith.

“Lemu, as Grand Khadi, and as one of the brains behind the introduction of the Sharia legal system, which caused serious upheaval and killings in the North, is not qualified to chair such important panel charged with the responsibility of addressing this very sensitive issue,” the Northern CAN alleged.

It also decried the failure of the Federal Government to seek the input of the CAN leadership in constituting the panel.

It noted that no Christian from any of the seven Northern states, where the post-election violence occurred, was represented on the panel.

The Christian body said it was at a loss on the appointment of the Lemu to head the panel as it found it hard to believe that President Goodluck Jonathan had taken the right decision on such a very important body whose major aim was putting an end to the incessant bloody crises that had been the bane of the North.

The association, in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Archbishop Peter Jatau, and Secretary, Elder Saidu Dogo, alleged that Lemu was an interested party whose neutrality in handling such a sensitive matter would remain questionable.

It added that Lemu, at 82 years of age, was not likely to still possess the physical and mental capacity and capability to carry out such a daunting task of investigating the causes of the post-election violence that rocked the country in April.

CAN therefore stated that the cleric’s appointment by the Federal Government as the chairman of the panel had dampened the hope of the Christian body that the government would get to the root of the violence which had become a recurring decimal.

It argued that Lemu was not qualified to be the chairman of the panel, adding that it had therefore rejected the composition of the body.

“It is rather unfortunate that in raising the panel the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria was never consulted to make input on Christian representation.

“Again, no Christian from Kaduna, Bauchi, Katsina, Kano, Borno, Niger and Zamfara states, where the violence took place, are represented at the panel,” CAN said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105165413339
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Gboliwe: 4:51am On May 16, 2011
Jonathan got it wrong here.
Please re assess
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Nobody: 5:19am On May 16, 2011
he always gets it wrong from giving 5 million to NYSC victims to going to uganda to felicitate with a dictator and almost getting lynched and then this, we have selected a dummy to rule us for another 4 years, NIGERIANS WHEN WILL YOU LEARN?
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Obiagu1(m): 5:36am On May 16, 2011
*shocked*

The brain behind Sharia in the North to head such a panel.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Beaf: 6:16am On May 16, 2011
chuks01:

he always gets it wrong from giving 5 million to NYSC victims to going to uganda to felicitate with a dictator and almost getting lynched and then this, we have selected a dummy to rule us for another 4 years, NIGERIANS WHEN WILL YOU LEARN?

You are the one who is too daft to see where this is going. Sit back and watch politics in action.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by 9javoice1(m): 7:10am On May 16, 2011
beaf I like u so much but sometimes u need to call sometin by its name witout mixing words. i love Gej and voted for him but he is a master of errors always miking silly mistakes. why should he give the chairman to a northern muslim.I can understand it if he choose some of them among the panel but not making them chairman. again why should he neglect the victims witout giving them a sit in the panel. wat a nonsense.

wat type of stupid politics is that.do u tink he will use the chairman at will.wat if the man refuse going his direction. Gej should stop exposin christians to danger.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Rhino5dm: 7:23am On May 16, 2011
Am in luv wit GEJ cheesy cheesy cheesy

carry GO!! GEJ the lord is your strenght NO evil shall befall you. Aimemm!
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Beaf: 7:42am On May 16, 2011
9ja voice:

beaf I like u so much but sometimes u need to call sometin by its name witout mixing words. i love Gej and voted for him but he is a master of errors always miking silly mistakes. why should he give the chairman to a northern muslim.I can understand it if he choose some of them among the panel but not making them chairman. again why should he neglect the victims witout giving them a sit in the panel. wat a nonsense.

wat type of silly politics is that.do u tink he will use the chairman at will.wat if the man refuse going his direction. Gej should stop exposin christians to danger.

Lets see how things play out, I think I see where this saga is going.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by udezue(m): 9:07am On May 16, 2011
Beaf will defend GEJ even if he was Hitler. Guy we all supported him but I don't do blind support. When u are wrong you are WRONG.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by blacksta(m): 9:19am On May 16, 2011
udezue:

Beaf will defend GEJ even if he was Hitler. Guy we all supported him but I don't do blind support. When u are wrong you are WRONG.

The guy gives a new meaning to sycophancy - At least beaf is not like typical Nigerian politician whose interests are determined by their stomach

Beaf - I hail oo
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by hakanai(m): 2:24pm On May 16, 2011
okay GEJ will get you a pastor ! undecidedlets see how it goes simple.How do you feel now?
Think if it was a pastor or a christian coming to jail say 100 Muslims.That would also make good campaign weapon for religious fanatics from the Muslims.
Lets not always allow sentiments drive us as a people but facts and reality.
Choosing someone from the Muslims will surely gain acceptance from the Muslims and dismiss suspicions.For the sheik he realizes the spot light is on him and as such would always try to show he is fair and would instead try to please critics such as CAN and the many Muslim haters.
So GEJ picks Muslim sheik to please Muslims and in return Muslim sheik deals with Muslims to please christian critics.
So beaf i hope your coded move is exposed shocked.No need to hide say it.

Above all its a smart move.For me i see no reason the Police,SSS and security operatives can not apprehend,investigate and charge people.While the courts be it Muslims or Christians as judge deal with such accused under the strict law of the land.duplicating roles. undecided
Today we have EFCC and ICPC = Police work
Urban military patrol = police work
local vigilante = police work
panels and committee = legislative & judiciary
check and see how Government apparatus continue to die while new ones are formed and serviced.
Why pay the judiciary when the panels always are used.why pay the police if they cant contain and manage crime without the army.
I hope the military gets better pay cos they do policing while the police continue to loses face.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Lagosboy: 3:33pm On May 16, 2011
WHOEVER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR PUTTING POSTS ON THE FRONT PAGE SHOULD PLEASE MODIFY THE TOPIC.

Sensational headlines leaves a bad tatse. Either you use Sheikh Lemus name or you stick to the original topic used by the OP. "Shariah advocate . . ." is nothing but enflaming the fire of the islamophobia that exists in our midst.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by owobokiri(m): 4:04pm On May 16, 2011
GEJ has always been desperate to impress our northern even at the detriment of the lives of southerners. He seem to think that by bowing before the caliphate, northerners will take him as one of their own. Many times he reminds you of Ironsi, the man who appointed Gowon to investigate rumours of coup plots against his regime. Gowon toppled him. Appointing a sharia advocate the head of a committe charged with the job of looking into causes of violence in the north shows the typical "bend-till-you-break" mentality of southern politicians when they deal with issues relating to the unending political delinquency in the north . Appeasment has never worked and will not work because most northern politicians are not ready to act reasonably without a strict application of the law.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by MMM2(m): 4:08pm On May 16, 2011
what is d meaning of dis GEj?
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Nobody: 4:18pm On May 16, 2011
M M M:

what is d meaning of dis GEj?
GOAT EMERGENCY JOB grin grin grin grin
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Demdem(m): 4:33pm On May 16, 2011
supereagle:

The Christian Association of Nigeria in the 19 Northern states and Abuja on Sunday kicked against the Federal Government’s appointment of an Islamic cleric, Sheikh Ahmed Lemu, as the chairman of its recently constituted 22-man panel on the post-election violence that occurred in some states in the North over the outcome of the April presidential poll.

The Northern CAN argued that its rejection of Lemu as the chairman of the panel was predicated on the antecedents of the Islamic cleric as well as his perception of the Christian faith.

“Lemu, as Grand Khadi, and as one of the brains behind the introduction of the Sharia legal system, which caused serious upheaval and killings in the North, is not qualified to chair such important panel charged with the responsibility of addressing this very sensitive issue,” the Northern CAN alleged.

It also decried the failure of the Federal Government to seek the input of the CAN leadership in constituting the panel.

It noted that no Christian from any of the seven Northern states, where the post-election violence occurred, was represented on the panel.

The Christian body said it was at a loss on the appointment of the Lemu to head the panel as it found it hard to believe that President Goodluck Jonathan had taken the right decision on such a very important body whose major aim was putting an end to the incessant bloody crises that had been the bane of the North.

The association, in a statement jointly signed by its Chairman, Archbishop Peter Jatau, and Secretary, Elder Saidu Dogo, alleged that Lemu was an interested party whose neutrality in handling such a sensitive matter would remain questionable.

It added that Lemu, at 82 years of age, [/b]was not likely to still possess the physical and mental capacity and capability to carry out such a daunting task of investigating the causes of the post-election violence that rocked the country in April.

CAN therefore stated that the cleric’s appointment by the Federal Government as the chairman of the panel had dampened the hope of the Christian body that the government would get to the root of the violence which had become a recurring decimal.

It argued that Lemu was not qualified to be the chairman of the panel, adding that it had therefore rejected the composition of the body.

“It is rather unfortunate that in raising the panel the President of the Christian Association of Nigeria was never consulted to make input on Christian representation.

[b]“Again, no Christian from Kaduna, Bauchi, Katsina, Kano, Borno, Niger and Zamfara states, where the violence took place, are represented at the panel,” CAN said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201105165413339

A lot of blunders no doubt. Funny enough, these things should be the basic things. At times i wonder how our Govt think

Beaf:

Lets see how things play out, I think I see where this saga is going.

Why should it be a saga in the first instance and where exactly do you think is leading to?
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 16, 2011
beaf knows exactly what he's talking about, when jega was appointed a lot of you here were crying foul and saying him and buhari are in some kind of nothern arrangement not knowing him and gej had a rigging deal, now its lemu and here you are again, maybe beaf knows somethiing we dont, if lemu says buhari is guilty will that not be what you all have been yarnin for? And now its a sharia man that will give you what you want.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by GDex1(m): 7:22pm On May 16, 2011
Men of Sharia to probe post-election violence? Heheee. Who then are the cause of violence in this country?
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by bamosagie(m): 8:08pm On May 16, 2011
what do you think will happen if CAN president chair the committee? GEJ knows what he is doing, let see how the saga plays out.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Blazing99: 8:30pm On May 16, 2011
This Jonathan guy is just too clueless. Appointing the wrong people for a very sensitive job. Why not perform a background check or competency analysis before appointment. Someone needs to tell our president to get his head out of his black buttt and start thinking straight
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by doma19: 8:31pm On May 16, 2011
REGISTER AND RUNS ASSISITANCE PROXY TOEFL,SAT,GRE GMAT,ALEVEL,IELTS, GCE CENTRE CERTIFIED CENTRE
.WE REGISTER,RUNS SCORE HIGH MARK IN IBT TOEFL,MINIMUM 100.SAT,2000.GRE 13000,GMAT 600.ACT, 32,IELTS 7 BANDS,ALEVEL MINIMUM A,BB.GCE AND WAEC,WITH 9 B. ALSO WE PROCESS VISA SCHENGEN VISA,UKRAIN RUSSUIA,BELARUS,QATARA,DUBAI,GERMANY,MALAYSIA,CUBA,CANADA,UK,CANADA,FINLAND,AUSTRALIA,TURKEY. CONTACT.CALL,IYKMAN 08034769772, or frankaude@yahoo.com. 10 ikem street off liberty junction federal housing enugu,enugu state.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Akosbaba(m): 8:39pm On May 16, 2011
sounds like appointing an al qaeda chieftain to judge osama's terror charges
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by wikitruth: 9:31pm On May 16, 2011
It will be good to have represnetations of all stakeholders in the panel really but I think the main emphasis here should be the competence, character and anticedent of people in this panle. Do they in way have previous training or experience in such things as intelligence gathering and security issues. Are they men and women who can call a spade a spade? How detribalised and unbiased wil they be?. Most ttimes these types of committee is just to find jobs for some people. Somebody should please remind me of any committee whose recommendation has been made public and/or executed by PDP govt in the last 12 years. I cannot remember any. Only God knows how much is their budget!!!!! Na wah oh.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by joecrack(m): 9:49pm On May 16, 2011
I really support the CAN guys,putting someone like Lemu to head that panel is a subtle way of insulting the families of the slain victims and nigerians in general,from the first time i saw the composition of the panel,i knew this was just another jamboree,i'm a staunch gej supporter but he gets a thumbs down on this one.A more independent person with no inclination to any of the faith would have being ok.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by deadie(m): 11:33pm On May 16, 2011
Akosbaba:

sounds like appointing an al qaeda chieftain to judge osama's terror charges

82 years Northern Islamic cleric probing the massacre of Southern Christians? If this story is true at all, then I really will be skeptical about the mental capacity of Mr. President. An 82 yr old man should be retired. I am sure there are younger less religious fundamentalists who have the objectivity to hold that position. I wonder what GEJ studied for his PhD, moronism?
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Musiwa13: 1:57am On May 17, 2011
h
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by Two4Two(m): 7:36am On May 17, 2011
This is a man who has been chamioning sharia legal system in Nigeria back in the days which reulted in wanton destruction of properties especially that of southern extraction (Christians). He is now to head the panel on post election violence whose perpetrators are muslims and victims christian corpers from the southern Nigeria. The worst is that there is no Christian from that state who can give first hand information on the issue.

This a case of squre peg in a round hole.

Nigeria when will you learn at the age of 51 years you are yet to correct your mistakes.
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by JUO(m): 9:59am On May 17, 2011
na waooooooooo
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by 10cirenoh: 10:14am On May 17, 2011
i love this gej grin grin grin grin
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by jummy05: 11:04am On May 17, 2011
CAN should stop all these non-sense.I wouldnt know for them.Do they expect Jonathan to appoint only christians in that committee.CAN is turning to something else going by their utterances in the recent time. angry
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by olugbemi4u: 12:33pm On May 17, 2011
i dont know about personal credibilty of Alhaji Lemu,but the best man that can do acceptable justices in this issue is a well known islamic cleric that does'nt have bias and prejudice against any religion noe tribe
Re: Post-election Violence: Northern Christians Reject Probe Panel Chairman by isomadtech(m): 12:37pm On May 17, 2011
let it be like that. Na thief feel sabi thief footprint on the rock. Ole lo mo ese ole to lori apata. He should know how to tackle them, those that fuel the crisis are his people.

Horrific Pictures Of The Bomb Blast At The Un House In Abuja! / Spyder880: Do A Favor - Post Pics Of Abiriba (so-called Small London) / On-going ICT Projects In Nigeria; NIN & Driver's License

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63