Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,738 members, 7,809,827 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') - Religion (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') (31748 Views)

See What Most Nigeria Do On Saturday Night Before Going To Church On Sunday / The Second Coming Of Jesus Christ Is May 21, 2011? / May 21, 2011 Is The Judgment Day Of Christ. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by dellmarn(m): 8:26pm On May 22, 2011
Only God has d final say
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by namdo(m): 8:53pm On May 22, 2011
false  prophecies would not stop but the wise will know the season of the end but the day/hr no one would know. it would be as a thief in the night, so says d bible
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Nobody: 10:59pm On May 22, 2011
birdman:

stfu and get laid. smh.

No thanks cheesy
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by hommer(f): 12:34am On May 23, 2011
Well, whether the world will come to an end today, tomorrow or whenever, the most important thing is that we have to be ready at all times. it will happen when we least expect it. Remain rapturable
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by sayso: 7:35am On May 23, 2011
So please moderator can you take this trash out of the front page or close the thread?
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Ejike3: 8:17am On May 23, 2011
[center][size=20pt]TOPIC CLOSED[/size][/center]
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by mrofficial(m): 9:48am On May 23, 2011
[center][size=20pt]TOPIC OPEN[/size][/center]
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Sweetnecta: 10:48am On May 23, 2011
@Tom28; « #382 on: Yesterday at 07:09:46 PM »
[Quote]The world will end by the USA nuking the middle east and not by God pulling the plugs[/Quote]maybe you should encourage them. i thought that they will bomb Makka since a congressman, a military general and a cabinet member, all of whom are from the christian right in the last bush administration thought that city is like a big target. go to the Quran and read Surah 'The Elephant'. you will see the end of those who dare to attack Makka. the Illah before the pagan Makka, was the Illah during the pagan Makka and He is the Illah of Islamic Makka. He, Allah is the Owner of Power and will defeat all forces, bar none.

@sley4life (m) « #383 on: Yesterday at 07:54:47 PM »
[Quote]lets kp our fingers crossed[/Quote]i thought the gaffe about the end of time is based on the cross? you may be loosing the battle each time you implore the cross in matters of spirituality of the service of the True Cross,
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Nobody: 1:31pm On May 23, 2011
Sweetnecta:

@Tom28; « #382 on: Yesterday at 07:09:46 PM »maybe you should encourage them. i thought that they will bomb Makka since a congressman, a military general and a cabinet member, all of whom are from the christian right in the last bush administration thought that city is like a big target. go to the Quran and read Surah 'The Elephant'. you will see the end of those who dare to attack Makka. the Illah before the pagan Makka, was the Illah during the pagan Makka and He is the Illah of Islamic Makka. He, Allah is the Owner of Power and will defeat all forces, bar none.

@sley4life (m) « #383 on: Yesterday at 07:54:47 PM »i thought the gaffe about the end of time is based on the cross? you may be loosing the battle each time you implore the cross in matters of spirituality of the service of the True Cross,

Bush would have been stupid to nuke mecca.Almost 90 percent of america"s oil comes from Saudi Arabia and besides Bush is a very close friend to the king of saudi arabia

Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by dinoo: 1:36pm On May 23, 2011
visit www.360lifemate.com today and find love, health care, fashion, skin cares and so much more.

www.360lifemate.com a site to always visit for your regular healthy living.
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by uglyBetty1(f): 8:35am On May 24, 2011
I sampled peoples opinion on the world ending, and they were actually happy that the world was coming to an end so that they can go and rest, either in heaven or in hell.

Some said they are tired of the world, that it is so stressful and they don't have the heart to end it on their own. Imagine.

Na God go help us.
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by lashlarule(m): 10:26am On May 24, 2011
this is really funny, u got to be a commedian
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by uglyBetty1(f): 11:21am On May 24, 2011
one said, though you can't actually rest even in heaven or in hell, because in Hell, fire go dey born you sotee you can't even sleep not to talk of resting, then in Heaven, you will be clapping and praising God all the time. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Human beings are too much. shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by 2busy: 4:07pm On May 24, 2011
OAKLAND, Calif. – A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.

Harold Camping, who predicted that 200 million Christians would be taken to heaven Saturday before catastrophe struck the planet, apologized Monday evening for not having the dates "worked out as accurately as I could have."

He spoke to the media at the Oakland headquarters of his Family Radio International, which spent millions of dollars_ some of it from donations made by followers — on more than 5,000 billboards and 20 RVs plastered with the Judgment Day message.

It was not the first time Camping was forced to explain when his prediction didn't come to pass. The 89-year-old retired civil engineer also prophesied the Apocalypse would come in 1994, but said later that didn't happen then because of a mathematical error.

Through chatting with a friend over what he acknowledged was a very difficult weekend, it dawned on him that instead of the biblical Rapture in which the faithful would be swept up to the heavens, May 21 had instead been a "spiritual" Judgment Day, which places the entire world under Christ's judgment, he said.

The globe will be completely destroyed in five months, he said, when the apocalypse comes. But because God's judgment and salvation were completed on Saturday, there's no point in continuing to warn people about it, so his network will now just play Christian music and programs until the final end on Oct. 21.

"We've always said May 21 was the day, but we didn't understand altogether the spiritual meaning," he said. "The fact is there is only one kind of people who will ascend into heaven , if God has saved them they're going to be caught up."

Josh Ocasion, who works the teleprompter during Camping's live broadcasts in the group's threadbare studio sandwiched between an auto shop and a palm reader's business, said he enjoyed the production work but never fully believed the May 21 prophecy would come true.

"I thought he would show some more human decency in admitting he made a mistake," he said Monday. "We didn't really see that."

Follower Jeff Hopkins said he spent a good deal of his own retirement savings on gas money to power his car so people would see its ominous lighted sign showcasing Camping's May 21 warning. As the appointed day drew nearer, Hopkins started making the 100-mile round trip from Long Island to New York City twice a day, spending at least $15 on gas each trip.

"I've been mocked and scoffed and cursed at and I've been through a lot with this lighted sign on top of my car," said Hopkins, 52, a former television producer who lives in Great River, NY. "I was doing what I've been instructed to do through the Bible, but now I've been stymied. It's like getting slapped in the face."

Camping's hands shook slightly as he pinned his microphone to his lapel, and as he clutched a worn Bible he spoke in a quivery monotone about some listeners' earthly concerns after giving away possessions in expectation of the Rapture.

Family Radio would never tell anyone what they should do with their belongings, and those who had fewer would cope, Camping said.

"We're not in the business of financial advice," he said. "We're in the business of telling people there's someone who you can maybe talk to, maybe pray to, and that's God."

But he also said that he wouldn't give away all his possessions ahead of Oct 21.

"I still have to live in a house, I still have to drive a car," he said. "What would be the value of that? If it is Judgment Day why would I give it away?"

Apocalyptic thinking has always been part of American religious life and popular culture. Teachings about the end of the world vary dramatically — even within faith traditions — about how they will occur.

Still, the overwhelming majority of Christians reject the idea that the exact date or time of Jesus' return can be predicted.

Tim LaHaye, co-author of the best-selling "Left Behind" novels about the end times, recently called Camping's prediction "not only bizarre but 100 percent wrong!" He cited the Bible verse Matthew 24:36, "but about that day or hour no one knows" except God.

Camping offered no clues about Family Radio's finances Monday, saying he could not estimate how much had been spent advertising his prediction nor how much money the nonprofit had taken in as a result. In 2009, the nonprofit reported in IRS filings that it received $18.3 million in donations, and had assets of more than $104 million, including $34 million in stocks or other publicly traded securities.
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Pukkah: 5:14pm On May 24, 2011
ugly Betty:

one said, though you can't actually rest even in heaven or in hell, because in Hell, fire go dey born you sotee you can't even sleep not to talk of resting, then in Heaven, you will be clapping and praising God all the time. embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

Human beings are too much. shocked shocked shocked shocked

You are so funny.
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by namdo(m): 5:30pm On May 24, 2011
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/new-deadline-set-for-the-end-of-the-world-20110524.html

the link for 21 October's dooms day, check out the oldie. I dey laughooo grin grin grin

Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Manuelkyle(m): 6:10pm On May 24, 2011
Na waoh!!!nothing we no go hear for this 9ja, I heard the rapture took only one person and that is my dad's gateman, can you imagine
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Nobody: 10:31pm On May 24, 2011
Manuelkyle:

Na waoh!!!nothing we no go hear for this 9ja, I heard the rapture took only one person and that is my dad's gateman, can you imagine
Your dad gateman na hausa man?
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Horus(m): 9:43am On May 25, 2011
[size=15pt]Erroneous Rapture prophet Harold Camping gives us a new date with destiny[/size]

As you may or may not have noticed, the Rapture did not take place last Saturday, May 21st. Because of this, the man behind the whole prediction – one Mr. Harold Camping, American Christian radio broadcaster and general all-round failed apocalypse predictor – was looking pretty red-faced. His solution? Announcing another new Rapture date, October 21st, precisely five months later.

Now we're not habitual Armageddon forecasters here at Asylum, but after striking out in the most embarrassing way possible – i.e. repeated predicting the end of the world, then seeing, with his very own eyes, that he was wrong – surely there has to come a point when you just give up and admit it's a load of hooey?

Previous dates of doom that Mr. Camping has given the world include May 21, 1988, and September 7, 1994, both of which came and went. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

And why are we listening to this man anyway? Well, it seems Bible-based numerology is the process behind his previous predictions, and as we all know, that's a tried and true method, certified by pretty much every authority going. Wait, um, no it's not. Hmm.

Worryingly, after last Saturday's eventual failure, it turns out Harold hid in a motel with his family, such was the fear and embarrassment he suffered after his prediction was proved incorrect.

He put down his latest mistake to another mathematical error, apparently. He says this in the face of one particular line in the Bible that goes completely against the idea of predicting the end of days, namely: the verse Matthew 24:36, which says on the topic "but about that day or hour no one knows" , except God.

And no offence to Harold, but he ain't God. That we do know.

The people we really feel sorry for are the all-too-believing members of his church, Family Radio International, who donated millions of dollars to the organisation to help spread the word on the end of the world – believing they'd be one of the 'chosen' who'd be taken up to Heaven.

So, in other words, do we think the end of the world will be October 21st? Well, it's a case of three times bitten, fourth time shy I'm afraid, Mr. Campling, and that's just the way it goes,

Source: http://www.asylum.co.uk/2011/05/24/new-rapture-date-harold-camping-prophet/?icid=main|
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by kandiikane(m): 10:33pm On May 25, 2011
More time to be prepared and to get baptised smiley
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by dwonder(m): 6:30pm On May 27, 2011
DESPITE raising millions of dollars for publicity and
campaigns for the well-publicised May 21 rapture, the
failure of this doomsday prophecy and loss of money
invested in publicity has continued to generate its own
controversy. Though there were a number of strong
followers who believed in the efficacy of the prophecy,
there were also sceptics who tried to improve on their
moral lives just in case it turned out to be true. Many
people, especially in Nigeria however shrugged their
shoulders, paying little attention to this prophecy, which
faced a lot of criticism right from the onset.
As we began to approach the supposed rapture day,
social media, particularly Facebook began to record a
rising level of mockery of the prophecy. Bloggers,
facebookers and tweeters suggested to those who will
rapture on May 21, that they should will out their
properties ahead of rapture day. In addition, a group
asked people to join a looting event that was to start
after the rapture. Thus, those who think they will not
disappear, fly or levitate out of the earth were invited,
and this attracted over twenty thousand people who
wanted to attend.
On the 21st itself, people were encouraged to post the
names of missing persons in their area in other to get
others updated of the rapture count, cases of rapture
materials-snatching possibly by flying PDP“umblelas”
were also to be reported. However, the respondents
were only able to speak of missing mangoes, meats and
sundry items that may have caught the flight. That same
day, posts and later, text messages began to circulate
that reported that the“Rapturecrafts” and “Rapture
materials” have not arrived due to logistics or possibly
hijacking, diversions and snatching. Therefore, the
“Rapturecrats” have embarked on the “Jegalisation” of
the” rapturecratic” process. In other words, the rapture
day has been postponed, some say indefinitely, some
say till October, others say until 2012
As at the time of writing, some are still trying to find out
if the reason for the failed rapture could have been lack
of“rapture-eligibility” on the part of the entire humanity
as well as all the dry bones in the graves. In any case,
many have decided that there was certainly no rapture,
simply because“their pastors are still around”, in which
case the pastors becomes the “rapturometers” i.e.
instruments for measuring the degree of rapture. In
fact, the advocates of May 21 rapture are actually
“rapturometers” themselves, and since this particular
group of “rapturometers” are still around, then there
couldn’t have been any rapture after all. All the same,
it is not yet clear whether these May 21 rapture
advocates will be required to refund the campaign
donations or dragged to a court of law for financial
crimes. The other“rapturometers”, who did not accept
the idea of May 21 rapture date are also aggrieved as
the failed date may affect the belief in the truism of a
coming rapture as well as belief in other such church
dogma that were supposed to be unquestionable. This in
turn will lead to reduced patronage with a devastating
effect on the economics of rapture(“rapturonomics”)
which is a vital money-spinner in the “rapture industry”,
which happens to be the fastest growing industry in
Nigeria with millions of subscribers who are hoping to fly
or levitate one day to heaven. It is however obvious that
most of these rapture hopefuls do not want to be
bothered about a possible date for the event or perhaps
do not even want the event to come at all, despite
pretending to be interested in it.
As things stand, it is definitely becoming clearer that
each individual needs to undergo a personal re-appraisal
of the validity of all the information that comes his/her
way. In the specific case of rapture, which the clerics
and religious leaders have branded over the course of
hundreds of years as a one day event whereby eligible
people as well as dry bones in the graves would
suddenly grow wings and begin to fly into the sky. One
has to be particularly watchful and prayerful, because
there are other, perhaps more valid, even if not so
popular explanations and definitions of rapture.
What if the concept of rapture has been misunderstood?
What if rapture is not an event meant to take place on
any one particular day? What if rapture is not a
doomsday event? What if it has been happening all
along? What if rapture doesn’t mean a levitation or
flying to heaven? What if rapture is simply that moment
when two people were grinding corn and( one took an
inner decision to become a better person and begin to
pay attention to real life i.e. to spiritual life) was taken
and the other was left behind?
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Adekay2011: 7:34pm On May 27, 2011
Brethren, let me tell u the truth, that news was a satanic attempt or device to
deceive the chosen one of God.
Jesus should have come long ago but how many of u are ready?
He reveal to me that those He is coming to take has gone to market.
I believe u are one of them.
Even all the forces of darkness await him because He is delaying them too
If Jesus come today the whole world has 7 year before its total destruction with fire.
all these are in ur Bible.
READ UR BIBLE NOW.
MARANATHA
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by thimbook2(m): 1:45pm On May 29, 2011
@Adekay
u're right and God-bless ur heart even though this "Camping" man is obviously misleading people and generating more disbelief in folks
Re: World Ends On Saturday? ('Judgement Day May 21') by Pukkah: 10:52am On Dec 09, 2011
Another false prophesy. I think it's high time they started holding people responsible for fake prophecies.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

Facts About Orisa Aje: The Goddess Of Wealth & Prosperity - / 79-year-old Lady Sues Redeemed Church For Noise Pollution / Nsukka Catholic Bishop Vs Fr Obayi: ‘don’t Exceed Your Boundary’ – Mbaka Fumes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.