Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,819 members, 7,820,885 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey (2315 Views)

AS E DEY Happen(a Pidgin Story) / Man Wey Dey Reason / Literature/Writing Complaints Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by initiator(m): 12:26am On Jul 19, 2007
Good lawd there must be something about these russians and the way their writings can probe the psychological process. They're deep, deep, very so.

I've not read much. The only 2 slavonic writers i'v read are
Crime and punishment - Fyodoor Dostoyevsky
War and Peace - leo tolstoy
and i was enwrapped.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by nuttyproff(m): 12:39am On Jul 19, 2007
get a life russian books i've read are messed up amature writtings; try some good old forsythe, or king or even daniel steele if u must though i wuld not recomend him
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by initiator(m): 11:18am On Jul 19, 2007
@ nuttyprof,
you this bozo knows nothing about russian literature. If u had nothing to say just shut up!
Most of russian lit are classics written in the 18 - 19 century and u talking of daniel steel.
Am allergic to people talking rubbish.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by SMC(f): 6:30pm On Jul 19, 2007
nuttyproff:

get a life russian books i've read are messed up amature writtings; try some good old forsythe, or king or even daniel steele if u must though i wuld not recomend him

"Daniel Steel" is actually Danielle Steel and she is a woman not a man.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by initiator(m): 7:14pm On Jul 19, 2007
Dont mind the wannabe well read.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by Orikinla(m): 1:37am On Jul 20, 2007
Initiator,

One swallow does not make a summer.

I hope you have read Russian Literature, heart and soul and not extracts?
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by curlyS(f): 11:17am On Apr 08, 2008
if anybody still interestinbout Russian Literature,pls u r wlc to ask me anything bout it!
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by mi3(f): 6:02am On Oct 12, 2008
nuttyproff:

rotflmao, gosh i can't stand when people open their mouths and ignorance pours out, King as in Stephen? Danielle Steele? if you don't know what people are talking about, respect yourself, keep quiet and move on!, and if you thought the Russian Lit you read was messed up and amature? you've only managed to insult yourself and declare to the world your inability to grasp the concept of what was written, lol, Stephen King, Like comparing Archie Comics to Shakespeare,

On the issue of Russian Lit though, i'm currently reading "The Idiot" by Dostoyevski, and have crime and punishment lined up, and have read some of Chehov's work too, deep ish o! them Russians, all psychological and ish tongue
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by candide(f): 5:25am On Oct 15, 2008
"The Master and the Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov is a awesome, Devil visits Soviet Union,
Saw a great stage production of Gogol's short story "The Overcoat" recently too, love it.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by mi3(f): 7:14pm On Mar 14, 2010
candide:

"The Master and the Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov is a awesome, Devil visits Soviet Union,
Saw a great stage production of Gogol's short story "The Overcoat" recently too, love it.

omgosshhh! i am fascinated with that book! saw a really good stage production of it last year, and got the book to read- in Russian, which is why it still has "waiting to be read" status, i want to savour it! buh that book makes more sense to me every day, i want to read it when i'm "ready" for it.

Gogol is fab too, dead souls is a good one

aaand Anton Chekov, who has an uber unique way of writing!
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by boros1124: 1:38pm On Jan 18, 2011
Hi!

I think the best: The death of racehorse
http://konyv-konyvek.hu/book_images/56a/999640956a.jpg
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:57am On Jan 21, 2011
YES SIR!

Russian literature is amazing. Pushkin, Turgenev, Tolstoy, Goncharov, Lermontov, Bulgakov, and of course, the Master of St. Petersburg himself, Fyodor Dostoevsky.

Good to see that you've started on Dostoevsky. Don't forget to read "Notes from Underground." That's the genesis of his genius right there. The Gambler is less deep (slightly shallow) but very dramatic and electrifying a read.

House of the Dead is well written and very interesting and insightful, though not as dramatic.

Also, his short stories are masterful, not only his novels. Check out "White Nights" "The Dream of A Ridiculous Man" and "A Nasty Story"

Then of course, the greatest book you will read by him, and rivaled only by Tolstoy's War and Peace, is The Brothers Karamazov. Truly an astounding piece of art right there.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by Jenifa1: 5:03am On Jan 21, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

Don't forget to read "Notes from Underground." That's the genesis of his genius right there.

I quit this book a few pages into it. didn't seem interesting to me.
but it's so short I should have just sucked it up and finished it. lol compared to his other humongous books. but the interesting aspect is that once you finish the book, you wish it shouldn't have ended because you want more!! lol

currently I have war and peace and anna karenina on my reading list for the future when I have free time.
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by Nobody: 5:20am On Jan 21, 2011
the airhead thinking that Danielle Steel makes for better reading than Tolstoy grin

Read both 'War and Peace' and 'Anna Karennina' in my school days when i was still a romantic. God how i loved the classics cry . Have done little of that kind of reading for years now, but after seeing 'The Reader' i'm going to have to read Anton Chekhov.

"the talk was that a new face had appeared on the promenade. A lady with a little dog, "
Re: All Russian Literature Fans Where Una Dey by MadMax1(f): 11:23am On Jan 28, 2011
Crime and punishment was unforgettable in that he somehow gets you in the murderer's head, thinking his thoughts and feeling his feelings, and you become implicated in everything that student does; if he gets caught, you get caught. Genius. Terrified that success would ruin his gift Doestoevsky would deliberately waste his earnings and, poor and desperate again, begin another book. As for the The Brothers Karamazov, there are no words. One worries that translators don't render these masterful books exactly, giving one a second-hand experience inferior to the material in its original Russian. I read English translations of D.O Fagunwa books and they didn't do justice to the fantastic poetry and beauty and brilliance of the books in the original language.

(1) (Reply)

Wanted / **stories That My Mother Told Me** / "Swallow" Sefi Atta's New Book Is Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.