Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,175 members, 7,829,204 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:30 PM

To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? (1101 Views)

For The Married Peeps What Are The Things Nobody Told You About Marriage? / Is Marriage For Me? / So This Is Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 5:48pm On Aug 10, 2021
good evening nairalanders,

married men and women in the house, what is marriage?

define or explain it by experience.
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 6:00pm On Aug 10, 2021
according to zubby michael in one of his movies: living with a stranger

he said: marriage is the institution where; if you come back late from work you'll explain, if you come back early you'll explain. if you didn't finish your food you'll explain, and if you didn't eat at all you must give genuine reasons to back up your explanation.

5 Likes

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by fati2001(m): 6:04pm On Aug 10, 2021
my definition of marriage is different from urs, ur definition of marriage is different from ur brother. ur brother own self fit no be de same with another person...

2 Likes

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Kondomatic(m): 6:09pm On Aug 10, 2021
Marriage is a legal union between a man and a woman as husband and wife

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 6:13pm On Aug 10, 2021
fati2001:
my definition of marriage is different from urs, ur definition of marriage is different from ur brother. ur brother own self fit no be de same with another person...
its true thats why only the married are wanted so that they'll define or explain it by experience. make we wey never marry kukuma know weytin im mean before we pack enter. so that if im no fit us we go quit and remain as eunuch. so that we no go end up 4 divorcement
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 6:15pm On Aug 10, 2021
fati2001:
so weytin be your own defination and explanation
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 6:16pm On Aug 10, 2021
Kondomatic:
Marriage is a legal union between a man and a woman as husband and wife
what of d explanation? we wan know o!
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by fati2001(m): 6:19pm On Aug 10, 2021

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by fati2001(m): 6:25pm On Aug 10, 2021
Ogamysamo:
its true thats why only the married are wanted so that they'll define or explain it by experience. make we wey never marry kukuma know weytin im mean before we pack enter. so that if im no fit us we go quit and remain as eunuch. so that we no go end up 4 divorcement

that's why if you want to marry reason well and set your goals ahead because of the future results.

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by frozen70(f): 1:07am On Aug 11, 2021
Ogamysamo:

Marriage is like studying a course that the course title is easy to pronounce but undertaking the course is the most difficult thing in life and you must study it
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Rubbiish(m): 5:29am On Aug 11, 2021
fati2001:

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Vision101(m): 5:57am On Aug 11, 2021
The only course that you receive the graduation certificate before commencement.

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 7:33am On Aug 11, 2021
Vision101:
The only course that you receive the graduation certificate before commencement.

LOLgrin shey them they do change of course

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by chii8(f): 8:10am On Aug 11, 2021
Marriage is union where two different individual tries to set same goal and struggles to make it happen. That's why it takes God's grace, hardwork, sacrifice and patience for it to work out.

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by fati2001(m): 9:21am On Aug 11, 2021

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Adanac(m): 10:22am On Aug 11, 2021
frozen70:

Marriage is like studying a course that the course title is easy to pronounce but undertaking the course is the most difficult thing in life and you must study it

Just like calculus back in school days
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 12:28pm On Aug 11, 2021
chii8:
Marriage is union where two different individual tries to set same goal and struggles to make it happen. That's why it takes God's grace, hardwork, sacrifice and patience for it to work out.
Lol
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by chii8(f): 1:09pm On Aug 11, 2021
Ogamysamo:
Lol

Did I pass or not? Or are you surprised I didn't put love there?
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by ibechris(m): 1:52pm On Aug 11, 2021
Marriage according to my personal experience,is a union of two like minds that have come together to define their future such as family goals,child bearing and upbringing which all involves extreme work.

This can be made so difficult if one party to the union is inactively passive and decides to do what he or she likes which may affects the growth of the marriage.

Marriage is in fact a blessing if both party to it,contributes their quota adequately and that involves alot of work and with love in it,marriage becomes sweet and beautiful.

2 Likes

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by efficiencie(m): 3:09pm On Aug 11, 2021
Ogamysamo:

Marriage is the process of physical, mental and spiritual unification between a man and a woman in Jesus Christ, with the primary goal of mirroring the ideal relationship between Jesus Christ and his church. This does not mean both couples must be Christians. A marriage is in Christ if Christ's Spirit does the match making and both couples decide to adhere to the simple rule: Husbands love your wives. Wives submit to your husbands.
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Klass99(f): 3:59pm On Aug 11, 2021
smiley

3 Likes

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by efficiencie(m): 10:33pm On Aug 11, 2021
Klass99:

I think the OP asked for a real life definition of marriage from married people, based on their real life experiences of being married NOT this religious text book definition of yours. tongue

Klassy Klass99. Can you cite the religious textbook that is the source of the definition I gave? I would like to see your citation. I have been in failed relationships and I have always been puzzled by what makes two love birds become worst enemies after some time...and my conclusion has been that marriage can only work when the couples are in sync (unification) and in Christ...by being in Christ I mean leading a life characterised by central tenets that were reflected in the life of Christ.
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 11:49pm On Aug 11, 2021
efficiencie:

Klassy Klass99. Can you cite the religious textbook that is the source of the definition I gave? I would like to see your citation. [b]I have been in failed relationships and I have always been puzzled by what makes two love birds become worst enemies after some time...[/b]and my conclusion has been that marriage can only work when the couples are in sync (unification) and in Christ...by being in Christ I mean leading a life characterised by central tenets that were reflected in the life of Christ.
hard luck bro
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 11:55pm On Aug 11, 2021
chii8:

Did I pass or not? Or are you surprised I didn't put love there?
not really, just that it look funny abit. or didn't it seems funny?
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Fiscus105(m): 12:18am On Aug 12, 2021
Marriage is a companionship that's a journey of life which involve two adults. The type of partner one chooses to travel with, determines their destination, if they would ever reach their destination! And if reached, how fast or slow it will take them to reach their destination. Very unfortunately, so many co-travellers often choose physical attributes to go on the journey over spiritual and character.

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by laurenwhite(f): 2:48am On Aug 12, 2021

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by chii8(f): 4:31am On Aug 12, 2021
Ogamysamo:
not really, just that it look funny abit. or didn't it seems funny?

Oh.... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Klass99(f): 7:30am On Aug 12, 2021
smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 9:19am On Aug 12, 2021
chii8:

Oh.... cheesy cheesy cheesy
oh.... what?
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Ogamysamo: 9:28am On Aug 12, 2021
[quote author=Klass99 post=104700032]

Mon Ami, even Christian marriages have broken down to a point where the couples divorced.

5 of the divorced couples I know are all believers and I'm certain they went in, hoping to make it a lifetime adventure.

This is in no way a criticism or pulling down mission of Christianity I am just saying. Christ is perfect and so are his tenets, we his followers just tend to muddle things up all on our own.

Two days ago I stumbled on a Steve Harvey YouTube video where he interviewed a couple who has been married for 82 years. Steve asked them what's their best advice to people about marriage and the wife said;

1. The secret to a happy marriage is being nice to each other

2. Talk things over.

3. Get a good understanding of what you are doing and where you are going.

This couple had one child and one grandchild who accompanied them to Steve's show. But, they stayed married for 82 years.

82yrs..?
may God make us Live, dis long with our life partner
Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by efficiencie(m): 6:05pm On Aug 12, 2021
Klass99:

Mon Ami, even Christian marriages have broken down to a point where the couples divorced.

5 of the divorced couples I know are all believers and I'm certain they went in, hoping to make it a lifetime adventure.

This is in no way a criticism or pulling down mission of Christianity I am just saying. Christ is perfect and so are his tenets, we his followers just tend to muddle things up all on our own.

Two days ago I stumbled on a Steve Harvey YouTube video where he interviewed a couple who has been married for 82 years (Yes, 82 years) Steve asked them what's their best advice to people about marriage and the wife said;

1. The secret to a happy marriage is being nice to each other (which I agree with)

2. Talk things over.

3. Get a good understanding of what you are doing and where you are going.

This couple had one child (a female) and one grandchild (a female) who accompanied them to Steve's show. But, they stayed married for 82 years, irrespective of the child's gender and number of children involved.

You know in Naija the fact that there was no male child in that marriage and there was only one child alone, would have caused that marriage to disintegrate. Coupled with the nosiness of busy body in-laws. grin

Two love birds become enemies because in this part of the world we have very messed up ideologies about relationships and marriage.

I'm not married but my own idea and definition of marriage is two adults taking good care of each other, doing the good that they can in their world/community. Anything else outside this (like children) is just jara and not the main koko for me.

Given how we now define "Christian", anyone who steps in a church, is spotted with a bible, bears an English name (like Christian Bale who happens to be a satanist) or even dares to sing a Christian song is easily labelled a Christian even if in actual fact the person is a muslim, pagan or satanist...but according to the scriptures the purpose of the church and ministry is conformity to the stature of the fullness of Christ (Ephesians 4:11-13). Anyone who is conformed to the stature of the fullness of Christ bears the fruits of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-24) and anyone who bears those fruits is capable of sustaining a marriage for a lifetime. I mean can you imagine how a couple who both bear the fruits of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, humility and self-control can end up with a divorce? It cannot happen! Many so called pastors, GOs etc lack these fruits and that is why some of them have marriages that hit the rocks...so again I say, if a couple is matched (unified) by the Spirit of GOD and both of them are in Christ (bearing fruits of righteousness) their marriage will be an annex of heaven on earth...and going by this definition we can easily see how couples who don't go to church, carry bibles or believe in GOD can have marriages that last a life time. Paul made us know in Romans 2:14-15 that you may be a Gentile and yet listen to the leading of GOD's Spirit through your conscience and by so doing make decisions in line with the righteousness of GOD. So if such a Gentile or non-Christian decides, knowingly or unknowingly, to heed the voice his conscience and marries the match provided by the Spirit of GOD and also decides to lead a life of love, joy, peace, faithfulness, loyalty, perseverance etc then without visiting a church or carrying a bible such a Gentile or non-Christian will enjoy a blissful marriage!

Modified:
With regards to the bolded, I want to ask; is it that all of the marriage that ended in a divorce involved people who did not care for their spouse? And also do not care for their world or community? If yes, then my question is how come the spouses that were the victims never noticed their partner had such a nature before the start of the marriage? How come the victims never discovered that their partner would never care for their community or the world? How come they never noticed until it was time for a divorce? This still brings me to my axioms for a sustainable marriage. First you two must be a match! I believe as ants cannot mate with elephants so also some humans cannot pair off with some humans. Only the Spirit of GOD has the manual of our very different lives and only HE understands who a better mate is for us. We on our own cannot decide this easily. If the couple you referenced were such that the husband is a passionate traveling missionary and the wife is a passionate actress you can easily see how such a marriage will suffer. On my second axiom which if both of the couples you referenced lack the fruits of the Spirit (caring for and being nice to each other) how would they have sustained an 80+ year old marriage?

The axioms are simple: (1) get matched with your spouse by the Spirit of GOD (2) Lead a life in Christ
Shikena!

1 Like

Re: To The Married(s): What Is Marriage? by Klass99(f): 6:30pm On Aug 12, 2021
smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Get The Right Mattress Size For You / When She Finds Out I Am Married She Will Be Very Heart Broken / Where Is Outstrip And Davidlyan?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.