Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,729 members, 7,809,798 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:08 PM

Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? (5606 Views)

5 Reasons Women Prefer Male Hairdressers To Female Hairdressers / Why Do Married Women Prefer Sitting beside Their Husband In A Vehicle / Mother Of Quadruplets Shaves Numbers On Their Hair To Identify Them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by shadrach77: 9:14am On May 18, 2011
i feel this is another case of inferiority complex on the part of we africans - i think hair plaiting is quite lovely and looks good on ladies and that was what our fore-fathers, (or should i say fore-mothers? grin grin ) did and they felt beautiful with it - how come nowadays our women don't feel complete if they haven't fixed their hair ?

Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Blazay(m): 10:10am On May 18, 2011
I love braids. . . but my hair is daaaaaan too long to attempt such a mess(I mean past my shoulder length). How can I braid such a thing without going bald?  undecided They cause too much of a 'Mama Eko'/''Mama Ibadan' syndrome of chop-chop head in the front especially. embarassed Braiding the nappy hair by itself. . .? No way hossana in the highest!

My hair is sooooooooooo NAPPY too! cry
To prevent re-current migraines and prolly premature death from 'strokin' out one of these days. . .with hair braiding. I don't know which is worse. . .putting them on or taking them down. Boy. . . 'em braids can STINK in the sun especially.

Perm for life! cool
My girls too!

As for the men that are complaining. . . you go put on the 'afro' yourself before asking women to go 'natural'! kiss

Let us help you kill 'lice' for a change. Or let us see who is gonna employ you in this modern day or age without mistaking you for Obama Bin Ladin's step child!

Shioooooooooooor!!!
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Nobody: 1:43pm On May 18, 2011
Your fore-fathers had some hairstyles too and felt handsome with it. Why don't we see more of you with these?

[img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TO_zMY8YVKI/AAAAAAAAALY/5C3oRdl_Krg/s1600/Young%2Bman%2Bof%2BIgbuzor.jpg[/img]

Would really love to see you in these loooonggggggg flowing locks.

[img]http://www.africanartworkbymargrit.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/worlpress7.bmp[/img]

I miss seeing my African men like this. cry Is it that they have low self esteem and don't consider themselves handsome? Is it at a result of self-loathing? undecided

[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZZ-IV1fd3wQ/SPh0QNnxtBI/AAAAAAAAAEE/5SD25r1rVQk/s400/DSC00354.JPG[/img]

But I have to give it to the Masai men still upholding this tradition. If only Nigerian men can keep theirs like this and not go for only the bald, gorimapa look.

[img]http://www.ulfpersson.se/images/mara/webb_UP_10D_B8139.jpg[/img]

Oh well I guess times have changed.
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 18, 2011
What a bunch of hypocrites!!! You think we are mumu?
You don't see them chase the extremely natural chics in church especially. Brother Cletus will use one side of his mouth to be shouting natural as if he's about to climax, but when he wants to marry, it is a permed, fixed hair and made-up face he would bring from outside to marry.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by armyofone(m): 3:16pm On May 18, 2011
liking Snoop Dogg grin with his hairstyles and dos.

OP, commot jor grin
2011 AD
NOT
2011 BC
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by horny4u(f): 11:43am On May 19, 2011
Any gal who knows what is good for her will ignore the poster's advice. I tried going natural for 3 months and hubby was just telling me how pretty it looked only that he was not looking at him as my chic, my babe but as upholder of the nappy hair, nappy sister. I awashed with not really in the mood comments. So I had to ask him do you find this ma hair style sexy and the No came out slow and with a but you are still pretty so I ran to the salon and got a relaxer fast. My aim is to be sexy for mi husband and the nappy is hard to maintain. Whatever I get some regularly now with my beyonce hair, lol
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by GODSON2009(m): 7:42pm On May 19, 2011
@stillwater
i hope you realise the hair styles you have put up dont apply to every african country?it is mainly east africans and central africans who are known with this hair style definitely not west africa.
@post
i agree with this not only that women's hairs blossom more,healthier and comes out with a lovely black sheen when braiding and plaiting hair, the damage curls ,weaveon and the rest are doing to their hair is obvious,most cannot grow their natural hair and it keeps on falling off,discoloured hair from too much chemicals in washing,setting etc
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by akunta(f): 9:52am On May 20, 2011
@op, who says we dont briad/plait?
ofcourse we do, but not as often
cos, u tend to have breakages
and if u don perm ur hair, belive me
no comb can get thru our natural hair. grin
besides, there is fun in changing hair-do's wink
u wud definately find it boring if its only
briads ur wife or gf wears.
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Sissy3(f): 11:17am On May 20, 2011
stillwater:

Your fore-fathers had some hairstyles too and felt handsome with it. Why don't we see more of you with these?

[img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TO_zMY8YVKI/AAAAAAAAALY/5C3oRdl_Krg/s1600/Young%2Bman%2Bof%2BIgbuzor.jpg[/img]

grin grin grin grin grin. you take style wicked sha. you no know whether na the mans face you go admire or his head and hair
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Elpieda: 2:56pm On May 20, 2011
THe problem is Nigerian women dont know how to take care of their natural hair, all those complaining of nappy hair and what not are just complaining, I have natural soft and beautiful hair and i always bantu knot it and leave it curled and its really pretty,

www.hairlista.com Please black ladies, visit that site so you can learn how to properly take care of your natural hair without all them weaves and ko,
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Nobody: 3:28pm On May 20, 2011
~Sissy~:

grin grin grin grin grin. you take style wicked sha. you no know whether na the mans face you go admire or his head and hair

Lol.

GODSON2009:

@stillwater
i hope you realise the hair styles you have put up dont apply to every african country?it is mainly east africans and central africans who are known with this hair style definitely not west africa.
@post
i agree with this not only that women's hairs blossom more,healthier and comes out with a lovely black sheen when braiding and plaiting hair, the damage curls ,weaveon and the rest are doing to their hair is obvious,most cannot grow their natural hair and it keeps on falling off,discoloured hair from too much chemicals in washing,setting etc

Ohh really. . .

Is this not an Igbo man. . . You wanna reject our fore-fathers or what? undecided

[img]http://3.bp..com/_jeBv7EEofYQ/TO_zMY8YVKI/AAAAAAAAALY/5C3oRdl_Krg/s1600/Young%2Bman%2Bof%2BIgbuzor.jpg
[/img]

http://ukpuru..com/2010/11/young-man-of-igbuzor.html

This one is the Wodaabe tribe and can be found in Northern Nigerian among other African countries.
[img]http://4.bp..com/_ZZ-IV1fd3wQ/SPh0QNnxtBI/AAAAAAAAAEE/5SD25r1rVQk/s400/DSC00354.JPG
[/img]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wodaabe
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by dorleey(f): 12:57am On May 21, 2011
@poster, since u are conservative, why dont u go back wearing leaves around ur waist instead of trouser or boxers? mtchhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by Ndipe(m): 1:26am On May 21, 2011
dorleey:

@poster, since u are conservative, why dont u go back wearing leaves around your waist instead of trouser or boxers? mtchhhhheeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!

I wonder!
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by iice(f): 4:25am On May 21, 2011
loooool to each his own jare.
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by obowunmi(m): 6:10am On May 21, 2011
Nothing wrong with jerry curls.
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by toyemz(f): 2:06pm On May 21, 2011
@poster
sometimes one has to soften the hair,before it can be plaited
i ,for one, fall into this category
my natural hair is so hard to comb that i have splitting headaches just from doing so
the only way out,i found was to perm or neutralise it making it soft
then and only then could i comb and plait it without any headaches
so you see some times its out of necessity oh
Re: Why Do Our Women Prefer Perming, Fixing, Jerry Curls To Plaiting Their Hair? by zimdollar(m): 12:17pm On May 23, 2011
its amazing how our forefathers used to keep their hair in good conditions in absence of technology.

did you know that king shaka zulu sold his land to the whyts due to the love of perm/dye? he would stay there and give everything while his head was being done by whyt man. only to get hair soft, lol

i dont like girls who wear weave the whole month and not wash their heads.

(1) (Reply)

Marriage Vows: A Traditional Or Religious Thing? / The Reason(s) Babies Find It Comfortable Sleeping On Cold/cooler Floor/surfaces / Hubby Likes To Sleep Alone.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.