Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:56 AM

Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote (5495 Views)

Getting Replacement For Lai Mohammed, Difficult – Oyegun / Payment Of N5000 To Unemployed Will Be Very Difficult - FG / "It's Going To Be A Very Difficult Year," Ngozi Okonji Iweala (CNN) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 10:13am On May 19, 2011
leonaidas:

the revamping of the textile industry without addressing the production of cotton, and now asking a privately owned company to reduce the price of its comodity without addressing the cost of disel. which accoeding to the company is the root cause of the increment.
What I dont understand is if producing it is hard, why don't we just import it and sell below 1000. Make all factories bagging plants
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Revolva(m): 10:46am On May 19, 2011
embarassed Why am i born in a useless nation
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 10:52am On May 19, 2011
Revolva:

All hope is not lost, you can travel to a better country and nationalize
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Ikwikwikwi(m): 11:38am On May 19, 2011
you will inject additional 5,000 trucks that will run with water or solar energy. nonsense talk.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by debostar(m): 1:10pm On May 19, 2011
I am not suprised at whatever the country is turning into because Dangote is a friend to any Government in power.
Did you all not voted for GEJ who does not have the nerve to make a positive change in anything that will affect the economy of his friends and cronies.Nigeria needs a president who has the interest of the vast majority of the people at heart ,and will go all out to implement policies that will have positive impact on their lives, not minding whose ox is gored .GEJ has been in government for more than a year,and during last one year ,Dangote has been his friend ,campaign manager, and Nigerians still go out and vote for this man who is friendly to somebody who has practically monopolised the cement ,rice,sugar business for decades at the detriment of the vast majority of the people.Show me your friends they say,and I will tell you who you are.Nigeria has a long way to go.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 19, 2011
debostar:

I am not suprised at whatever the country is turning into because Dangote is a friend to any Government in power.
Did you all not voted for GEJ who does not have the nerve to make a positive change in anything that will affect the economy of his friends and cronies.Nigeria needs a president who has the interest of the vast majority of the people at heart ,and will go all out to implement policies that will have positive impact on their lives, not minding whose ox is gored .GEJ has been in government for more than a year,and during last one year ,Dangote has been his friend ,campaign manager, and Nigerians still go out and vote for this man who is friendly to somebody who has practically monopolised the cement ,rice,sugar business for decades at the detriment of the vast majority of the people.Show me your friends they say,and I will tell you who you are.Nigeria has a long way to go.
You clearly said my mind. If the right thing is done, Dangote could fall out of the top 100 richest.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by otokx(m): 2:00pm On May 19, 2011
These decisions are not that easy.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 2:11pm On May 19, 2011
otokx:

These decisions are not that easy.
Yes, its not easy. What nigeria needs is a revolutionary change, not subtle approach to anything. If a neutral person is in power, making this decision will be hard. The incompetence of the incoming administration is coming to bear. I really can not wait for someone like Fashola to declare for presidency, we can only but believe the radical change that nigeria will experience. One thing I do not even understand is why nigerians are so dependent on cement for building consruction. There are so many alternatives out there that needs to be exploited
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by logica(m): 3:34pm On May 19, 2011
Ikwikwikwi:

you will inject additional 5,000 trucks that will run with water or solar energy. nonsense talk.
That was the most laughable of all. Anyway he doesn't know the kind of carnage the trucks cause on our roads in the absence of a functional rail system. Now he wants to add 5000 more. That's adding to the potential carnage a factor of 5000.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by fxtopedia(m): 5:12pm On May 19, 2011
Dangote=Government policy
Dangote=PDP
Dangote owns the government, if not why granting such power?
Many people had joined the silence ones as a result of this man called ''Dangote''., his yeye trucks on Lagos/Ibadan express way, has caused many a family unforgettable nasty experience. Many have become un-expected widows, some children have no father nor mother as a result of this TRUCK. What is government doing about this?

GEJ, is talking about CEMENT, but, this same bigot still controls SUGAR N RICE, at the detriment of MILLIONS of Nigerians. I am sorry to say that, a good government, will not even consider talking to him, a strong government will only come with a decent policy that would afford others to ventures into the same line of business, thereby, creating competition. And the best market structure that suit such is OLIGOPOLY .
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Reference(m): 6:39pm On May 19, 2011
There is not one product or service in Nigeria today of any worth that is not expensive. Name it: phone calls, satelite t.v., housing, food, transport land, sea and air, everything. Our economy is not just competitive enough so I won't bother to compare the prices of chinese cement, american corn, indian telecoms or camerounian onions. Our infrastructure, the skeleton of development is decayed, corruption is rife and typically we think too short term.

If there are those who can produce cement cheaper than Dangote or Lafarge by all means step up and prove it. If cheap chinese products are the way out then forget industrialzation and while you're at it ask the EU or the US what cheap products are doing to their economies.

I have and will always be an advocate of promoting what I can do and forgetting what I can't. Nigerians amaze me. This is the only country where demand NEVER stimulates supply but rather complaints. Everything is expensive yet we point fingers and quarrel until we are swept away by south africans, indians or chinese and then more complaints. A few days ago there were complaints of Indian punishment on Nigerian Airtel staff but we lauded a few months ago tariff slash. What exactly do we want. If things must be cheap in the long run there must be short term pain.

If we cannot exploit the vast market potentials to establish more production now do not complain in ten years time (when we have killed the few industries we have and sold our birthright to china for a bag of 20 naira cement) then when our youths begin to carry AK47's because of no jobs we turn around yet again and grumble to government.

Remember it was just a few years ago that government was fully into cement production - BCC, CCNN, Ashaka and the likes. The industry is still very young in private hands thus the dearth of useful competition. But to panic and flee to chinese captivity will never bring us closer to redemption. Initial private telecoms was expensive so was airport terminal so is Lekki highway so will initial electricity, initial private refineries, steel mills and so on, but with time, competition and investment all these costs will fall. Let us look at the bigger picture, the industry n general and stop hallucinating about Dangote. He is just a man.

Folks the potentials abound. Let's get to work.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by naijacutee(f): 7:35pm On May 19, 2011
Regarding N400 cement from China - If cement can be produced, packaged and marketed and exported for N400 from China and the manufacturers still make a profit, why is ours being produced for 6 times more?
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by DisGuy: 7:49pm On May 19, 2011
naijacutee:

Regarding N400 cement from China - If cement can be produced, packaged and marketed and exported for N400 from China and the manufacturers still make a profit, why is ours being produced for 6 times more?

production in Nigeria is super expensive, I dont know about the rest but i think dangote was generating its own power or building aplant, the refineries are not producing enough LPFO*, cost of transport> no rail, just trucks on bad roads,diesel is being cornered by some importers even the flight operators are having to their planes seized by dealers right on the tarmac!

think about it we import toothpick!!
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by blacksta(m): 8:05pm On May 19, 2011
Y' all voted for GEJ so GOODLUCK to you. Same Lafarge Cement if not better in the U.K Is sold for £3.47 / N847 add transportation + duty cost a - even if i sell for N1200 i should still make a tidy profit . I dont know what is wrong with Nigeria - we just enjoy doing things the awkward way.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by MMM2(m): 8:29pm On May 19, 2011
let c what will happen
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by dustydee: 9:05pm On May 19, 2011
Revolva:

cos you were born useless
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by 9jarocks(m): 9:08pm On May 19, 2011
These Guys are just ripping us off,

How will a 50kg bag of cement cost N2,350 & we've got the raw materials here, So terrible

The so-called cement manufacturers are pals so they fix the price themselves, Arrangee

There's no competition at all
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by marvix(m): 9:31pm On May 19, 2011
Nigerians will not appreciate progress even when it is obvious.

Jonathan has asked them cement manufacturers to crash the price of cement, do we have an idea why he has said so, what was the stake the past presidents including Jonathan himself benefit from the prices and now he has come out to tell them dont bring no share for me and crash your prices you have one month to make Nigerians happy so that my profile rises, or tell me if cement sells for N1,000.00 or less by mid June whose praises will Nigerians sing?

Some have once again argued for radicals who would just move to crash the prices, i say hey careful what u wish for, that radical could end up crashing the economy do you have any idea what the likes of Dangote can do to the national economy of this nation, do u even have an idea how the economy works do you have an idea how many people benefit from the prices as it is today?

Nigeria is not a lost cause but it can not and will not be rescued by one man's act of bravery or stupidity, collective resolve to take this country out of where we are to where we want it to be is the key.

When Dora asked the telecoms coys to crash their prices didnt some say it was impossible, they only introduced Etisalat and gave it some concessions and what did we see, competition has not been sweeter!
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by AmAlone: 9:48pm On May 19, 2011
FG don't need to beg these people to crash the price!
Just make the market free and fair!
I am so tired of buying cement 2k3!

Allow more people into the business
So we don't come back begging Dangote
to crash the price of cement again next dry season!
Peace!!!!!
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by DisGuy: 11:08pm On May 19, 2011
marvix:

Nigerians will not appreciate progress even when it is obvious.

Jonathan has asked them cement manufacturers to crash the price of cement, do we have an idea why he has said so, what was the stake the past presidents including Jonathan himself benefit from the prices and now he has come out to tell them dont bring no share for me and crash your prices you have one month to make Nigerians happy so that my profile rises, or tell me if cement sells for N1,000.00 or less by mid June whose praises will Nigerians sing?

Some have once again argued for radicals who would just move to crash the prices, i say hey careful what u wish for, that radical could end up crashing the economy do you have any idea what the likes of Dangote can do to the national economy of this nation, do u even have an idea how the economy works do you have an idea how many people benefit from the prices as it is today?

Nigeria is not a lost cause but it can not and will not be rescued by one man's act of bravery or stupidity, collective resolve to take this country out of where we are to where we want it to be is the key.

When Dora asked the telecoms coys to crash their prices didnt some say it was impossible, they only introduced Etisalat and gave it some concessions and what did we see, competition has not been sweeter!

No we dont have an idea why is he telling them, some former president did the say too, even threatened them. . .

Really he told them he wants his profile to rise? is it a temporary profile rise or permanent?

going by what you wrote up there, i doubt you do yourself?

lol @ they only introduced etisalat
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by cinzo: 8:17am On May 20, 2011
Why must every industry in Nigeria be concentrated in the hands of a few people? What happened to free entry and exit in the market.

If you decide to produce your cement in Nigeria and I decide to import from China, so bloody what? I pay duties for the importation don't I? It is now left for the FG to use the duties I pay to put in place infrastructure that will make it better for me to produce in Nigeria than to import.

There is no way cement prices will be low in as much as power generation is not tackled. I have been to WAPCO-Larfarge in Sagamu and the amount of power those people consume is staggering.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by logica(m): 10:09am On May 20, 2011
marvix:

Jezzuz, some mothers do have them. So you mean the crash of the price of cement will increase the Nigerian poverty rate which some claim is as high as 70%? The only economy that will be affected are the personal economies of those customs officials and other hungry kick-back dependent morons, as well as Dangote himself.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 10:21am On May 20, 2011
logica:

Jezzuz, some mothers do have them. So you mean the crash of the price of cement will increase the Nigerian poverty rate which some claim is as high as 70%? The only economy that will be affected are the personal economies of those customs officials and other hungry kick-back dependent morons, as well as Dangote himself.
You de answer am? When you see an ignorant person trying to be smart you know, turn away and save ur breathe for people who truly knows the capitalist greed and where it has put nigeria.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by DisGuy: 5:36pm On May 22, 2011
http://tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/front-page-articles/3967-cement-shouldt-cost-more-than-n700-manufacturer-exposes-cabal-behind-price-hike

A cement manufacturer who is also the chairman, Cement New Entrants Forum, Prince David Iweta, disclosed this to Sunday
Tribune at the weekend, while speaking about the growing concern among the masses over their inability to buy the commodity.

Iweta disclosed that a particular cabal had, last year, hoodwinked the Federal Government into increasing the duty and levy on imported bulk cement from five to 15 per cent and introducing a certain Cement Technology Levy (CTL) of 20 per cent, adding that this caused the total levy on imported bulk cement to 35 per cent.

He said unknown to the Federal Government, the target of this cabal, members of which are major players in the cement industry as well as local manufacturers, was up the price of imported cement and surreptitiously increase that of locally-produced ones too so as to swindle unsuspecting consumers.

“I warned on this outcome when the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, in collaboration with the Ministry of Finance, recommended to the President to approve an upward review of duty on imported bulk cement from five per cent to 15 per cent and further introduce Cement Technology Levy (CTL) of 20 per cent; this made the duty and levy to go up to 35 per cent.

This happened late last year and the effect came up this year. This is supposed to affect imported bulk cement only and not locally manufactured cement. The game plan by the cabal was to enable them to cash in on the increase on imported cement to hike the price of their locally-manufactured cement; to equate it to the cost of imported cement at N1, 700 at the factory gates of local cement manufacturers. “This would also enable them to make abnormal profit to enable them to pay off their bank loans within two to three years as against long-term repayment of capital project funds of 10 to 15 years,” he said.

Sleeping Johnie? ?
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by jerryben12: 11:10pm On May 22, 2011
What is the difference between Burham and Dangote cement? I noticed that Burham is cheaper.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by lucabrasi(m): 11:36pm On May 22, 2011
Dis Guy:

http://tribune.com.ng/sun/index.php/front-page-articles/3967-cement-shouldt-cost-more-than-n700-manufacturer-exposes-cabal-behind-price-hike

Sleeping Johnie? ?
trust me every single official including the lame duck president knew what they doing and dangote paid handsomely for it the problem is the rest of us who are natural shock absorbers seeming to tolerate the actions of these people.
its either we complain without being pro active or we are waiting for some messiah to rescue us
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by DisGuy: 12:15am On May 23, 2011
^^ who do we have here? where in the world have you been, aint seen your post for a long while

Going by what the Iweta man said, it seems Jonathan and his team selfishly allowed the cement importer/manufacturer run their smaller competitors out especially the importers in return for hefty contributions to his campaign funds. godfearing humble man indeed! putrid air!
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Wallie(m): 4:48pm On May 23, 2011
Just to be fair to the Dangote’s…

There’s no way a Nigerian business will compete with China head-on. You guys are probably right that you can get the cement to Nigeria at a cheaper financial cost but what is the overall cost?

Every country has an element of protectionism in their policy; otherwise, you will run the local businesses out of existence. There’s also no question that there’s collusion going on in the cement industry, among others.

What Jonathan needs are people that understand the balancing-act that has to take place to allow local companies to grow while not gouging the public. It may be as simple as limiting the number of imported cement or taxing it enough to a price point that allows local companies to compete.

When you kill local companies, you not only kill jobs but you also lose the technical know-how and spend all your foreign exchange enriching other economies.
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by lucabrasi(m): 6:32am On May 25, 2011
Dis Guy:

^^ who do we have here? where in the world have you been, aint seen your post for a long while

Going by what the Iweta man said, it seems Jonathan and his team selfishly allowed the cement importer/manufacturer run their smaller competitors out especially the importers in return for hefty contributions to his campaign funds. godfearing humble man indeed! putrid air!
yea been in nigeria on a long holiday hope you r good smiley
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by dustydee: 9:33am On May 25, 2011
Wallie:

Just to be fair to the Dangote’s…

There’s no way a Nigerian business will compete with China head-on. You guys are probably right that you can get the cement to Nigeria at a cheaper financial cost but what is the overall cost?

Every country has an element of protectionism in their policy; otherwise, you will run the local businesses out of existence. There’s also no question that there’s collusion going on in the cement industry, among others.

What Jonathan needs are people that understand the balancing-act that has to take place to allow local companies to grow while not gouging the public. It may be as simple as limiting the number of imported cement or taxing it enough to a price point that allows local companies to compete.

When you kill local companies, you not only kill jobs but you also lose the technical know-how and spend all your foreign exchange enriching other economies.
what we need to know is how much it costs to produce locally and how much it costs to land imported cement in Nigeria. I bet you the cost is not the same so why is the difference not noticed in the market?
Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Wallie(m): 2:51pm On May 25, 2011
dustydee:

what we need to know is how much it costs to produce locally and how much it costs to land imported cement in Nigeria. I bet you the cost is not the same so why is the difference not noticed in the market?

Because they are colluding to fix price. Here's what I said in another thread:

Wallie:

[] I should have been a lot clearer that I was generally referring to anti-competitive behaviors, and more specifically to “collusion.”

In this instance, you have an oligopoly that consists of less than a dozen companies, that appears to price fix for their mutual benefit. It doesn’t matter it the oligopoly includes a thousand companies. What matters is that the decision of a few significantly affects the market.

The danger of collusion is that increasing pricing does not result in loss of sales due to lack of alternative (licensing restriction).

Re: Cement Decrease Very Difficult - Dangote by Nobody: 7:01pm On May 25, 2011
Honestly i dont have respect for people like Dangote,Adenuga and other rich men in nigeria because they collude with Govt to milk the public, How dare u have exclusive licence of cement and u will not be a billionaire, Give that opportunity to an  and he becomes a billionaire as well,

I only have respect for pple like WARREN BUFFETS,STEVE JOBS,BRANSON,[b]GATES [/b]etc who made their money through hardwork and intelligence.

Shut up my friend. GATES enjoyed monopoly too and he made billions from it so dont say what you dont know.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Italian Engineer Kidnapped In Kwara / A Denied And Delayed Justice For Apo-6 And Ezu River-50. / PHOTO : BVN ( Bank Verification Number) = Mark Of The Beast?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.